Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Yeah, I do think a really fun game could be made out of Giana Sisters if levels were built make make you use the powers in more interesting ways.

Instead it's just a lot of slowly floating for a platform to grab 3 more gems out of 500 in the level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Does SquareEnix ever discount their games? Specifically Bravely Default in JP/PAL? I'm wondering if there is a chance the NA version will go on sale in a few months or whenever.

mcpringles fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 8, 2014

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm looking to clear space for Bravely Default, but I want to make sure of something before I delete anything. If I delete a game (namely Mario & Luigi: Dream Team), am I losing it for good or will I be able to redownload it from the eShop later at no cost?

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

setafd posted:

I'm looking to clear space for Bravely Default, but I want to make sure of something before I delete anything. If I delete a game (namely Mario & Luigi: Dream Team), am I losing it for good or will I be able to redownload it from the eShop later at no cost?

Speaking from personal experience, if you delete a game from your SD card or system memory (or have to delete all your data because your SD card was corrupted somehow) then the Purchase Software option will be changed to Redownload, so you don't have to pay the price twice.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

StevenM posted:

Speaking from personal experience, if you delete a game from your SD card or system memory (or have to delete all your data because your SD card was corrupted somehow) then the Purchase Software option will be changed to Redownload, so you don't have to pay the price twice.

Oh, so it's not as bad as I thought. Maybe I should have more faith. If it turns out I can't redownload it, it's not a big loss, I guess.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Phantasium posted:

Considering the state of the developer and of the prior games in the series, Rune Factory 4 might be harder to find later on.

Bravely Default was pretty hard to find in Europe until they restocked recently.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

setafd posted:

Oh, so it's not as bad as I thought. Maybe I should have more faith. If it turns out I can't redownload it, it's not a big loss, I guess.
You can redownload it, it's tied to your system. If you ever buy a new 3DS (like, upgrade to an XL or something), you need to do a System Transfer to preserve the licences of anything which you've bought on the eShop on the new unit.

Also, just in case anything gets removed from the eShop (it happens rarely), you can go to "Settings / Other" in the eShop, go down to "Titles You've Downloaded" and you can re-download anything from there.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Chiming in to say that Giana really is a neat little game. I've got it on Steam, and I found it most fun just playing a few levels here and there. It can get kinda long if you were going to marathon it.

Punk Giana's Machinae Supremacy-performed soundtrack is worth the price of admission IMO.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

setafd posted:

It might delete your save file though. Back it up just in case!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It might delete your save file though. Back it up just in case!

If you try to delete a game you haven't backupped, it will ask you to back up its saves first.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of February 13):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    The LEGO Movie Videogame - €39.99 / £34.99
WII U eSHOP
    Spin The Bottle: Bumpie's Party - €8.99 / £7.99 (update/price increase)
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Dr. Mario (NES, US ver.)- €4.99 / £3.49
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Dr. Luigi/Dr. Mario Special Offer (Wii U) - buy Dr. Luigi before February 20, get Dr. Mario NES for free!
    Super Indie Connection Sale (Wii U eShop) - buy/own any one of the following games, get the others for 60% off until February 13
  • BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien - €4.79 / £3.99
  • Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams - €5.99 / £5.19
  • Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition - €3.99 / £3.59
  • Spin The Bottle: Bumpie's Party - €2.79 / £2.39
  • Toki Tori 2+ - €5.99 / £5.19

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Inazuma Eleven 3: Team Ogre Attacks - €34.99 / £29.99
    Adventure Time: Hey Ice King, Why'd You Steal Our Garbage!? - €39.99 / £34.99
    The LEGO Movie Videogame - €39.99 / £34.99
3DS eSHOP
    Spot The Differences! - €9.99 / £8.99
    Games Festival (demo)
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Urban Trial Freestyle (3DS eShop) - €14.99 / £14.99 until February 13
    Beyblade Evolution (3DS) - €14.99 / £14.99 until February 13
    Brunch Panic (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / £2.49 from February 13-20
    Sweet Memories Blackjack (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / £2.49 from February 13-20
    BIT.TRIP Saga (3DS) - €9.99 / £8.99 until March 6
    Girls' Fashion Shoot (3DS) - €14.99 / £14.99 until March 6
    Hakouki: Memories of the Shinsengumi (3DS) - €16.99 / £14.99 until March 6
    Jewel Master Cradle of Egypt 2 (3DS) - €9.99 / £8.99 until March 6
    Jewel Master Cradle of Rome 2 (3DS) - €9.99 / £8.99 until March 6
    Shifting World (3DS) - €9.99 / £8.99 until March 6
    Super Black Bass 3D (3DS) - €9.99 / £8.99 until March 6
    Virtue's Last Reward (3DS) - €12.49 / £9.99 until March 6
    Darts Up! 3D (3DS eShop) - €0.99 / £o.89 from February 13-March 12

The exact wording for the Dr. Luigi/Dr. Mario offer: "Special Offer: If you have purchased Dr. Luigi by 20/02/2014 you can download Dr. Mario for free from Nintendo eShop on the same Wii U!" Even so, I tend to think it's probably a one-week deal like all their other promos. Oh well, guess we'll find out next week.

The Spin The Bottle update adds six new games and a bunch of tweaks/updates to the base game; it's free to anyone who owns the game, but they're jacking up the price of the game as part of the update and will do so for every subsequent update, so if you were ever interested in getting this game you might wanna get it while it's still cheap.

I had no idea Adventure Time: Ice King was coming to PAL-land, was it announced at all? Maybe it's eShop-only? It'd be nice if they matched the NA digital price...

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Club Nintendo reward games this month:
DK Jr. (3DS), Pictobits (3DS), Punch Out (Wii U), and Mario RPG. (Listed as Wii U but it's the Wii version.)

I really like Punch Out but lol at Nintendo doing another one of the .30 cent games for the Wii U reward. I wonder how many months until the real Wii U game download isn't a .30 cent game.

I wonder how many people that use Club Nintendo points and have a Wii U didn't buy all the .30 cent vc games.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Spacebump posted:

Club Nintendo reward games this month:
DK Jr. (3DS), Pictobits (3DS), Punch Out (Wii U), and Mario RPG. (Listed as Wii U but it's the Wii version.)

I really like Punch Out but lol at Nintendo doing another one of the .30 cent games for the Wii U reward. I wonder how many months until the real Wii U game download isn't a .30 cent game.

I wonder how many people that use Club Nintendo points and have a Wii U didn't buy all the .30 cent vc games.

Ambassador game for the 3DS VC game too. That's kind of poor.

Its the third 30 cent game in a row too, in order no less. Next will be Kirby's Adventure or Super Metroid again, guarantee it.

Though if you don't already own Mario RPG get it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

To be fair, none of those games are 30 cents anymore.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Can't begin to express how pissed I was that I almost got SMRPG and then realized it was that bullshit wii-mode version that won't let me play off-tv. Thought that poo poo would be Wii-U mode already, don't know why I'm surprised since Virtual Console support has been dogshit for years.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MinibarMatchman posted:

Can't begin to express how pissed I was that I almost got SMRPG and then realized it was that bullshit wii-mode version that won't let me play off-tv. Thought that poo poo would be Wii-U mode already, don't know why I'm surprised since Virtual Console support has been dogshit for years.

You can play it off screen you just need to use a Wii controller.

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer
So I just picked up a 3DS today. Any good cheap games on the e-shop? I picked up Pokemon Y and SMTIV. As far as Nintendo handhelds go I mostly just play pokemon, but I'd like to get into some RPGs especially.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Medium Cool posted:

So I just picked up a 3DS today. Any good cheap games on the e-shop? I picked up Pokemon Y and SMTIV. As far as Nintendo handhelds go I mostly just play pokemon, but I'd like to get into some RPGs especially.
Gunman Clive is incredibly cheap and is pretty great if you liked Sunset Riders at all.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Medium Cool posted:

There is literally a section of the 3DS e-shop (at least here in PAL) called 'epic RPGs', so that's a place to start. Now admittedly, most of those aren't really 'cheap', especially if your definition of that is say, under £10 (about 16.4 dollars). But, in general, it does have a fairly wide selection, including various old school titles. Ninja Gaiden, Castlevania, Mario Bros, Legend of Zelda, Sonic the Hedgehog, Mega Man, etc - if you've got an itch for that stuff, the 3DS can scratch it. Its got a decent selection of 'mid-priced' games as well, going by my personal definition of about £10-£25.

Probably the closest I can recommend to fitting what you're after is something I've sadly yet to try out - Attack of the Friday Monsters. Its less than £8 and is an RPG... but dunno if its any good.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Medium Cool posted:

3DS
The Starship Damrey
Crimson Shroud
Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies
The Denpa Men 1/2
PicDun 2: Witch's Curse

Virtual Console
Gargoyle's Quest
Legend of the River King
Mario Tennis
Shining Force: The Sword of Hajya
Defenders of Oasis
Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX
Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages/Seasons
Tails Adventure

DSiWare
AlphaBounce
GO Series: Picdun
Zenonia
18th Gate
Anonymous Notes Chapter 1/2

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

StevenM posted:

3DS
The Starship Damrey
Crimson Shroud
Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies
The Denpa Men 1/2
PicDun 2: Witch's Curse

Virtual Console
Gargoyle's Quest
Legend of the River King
Mario Tennis
Shining Force: The Sword of Hajya
Defenders of Oasis
Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX
Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages/Seasons
Tails Adventure

DSiWare
AlphaBounce
GO Series: Picdun
Zenonia
18th Gate
Anonymous Notes Chapter 1/2

edit: Never mind, just read he said on the eshop.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

3 posts and no pushmo/crashmo recommendation. You're all slacking.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Awesome! posted:

3 posts and no pushmo/crashmo recommendation. You're all slacking.

His tastes favor RPGs. We can recommend great games on the eShop from all genres but the list would be overwhelming and would result in lots of tedious disagreements. I still think it's something we should do in the future, though, if only as a basic frame of reference for newcomers.

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

The only F-Zero game I've played is GP Legend for the GBA, which I played way back when as a teenager and loved the hell out of. I recently dug it up again and oh god now I've got a taste for GOTTA GO FAST. :flashfap: I know as soon as my next paycheck comes in I'm going to hunt down a copy of F-Zero GX. In the meantime, though, a couple questions about the ones available on the VC.

1) Does F-Zero SNES have enough content to justify the $8 price tag? (I know, I know, really should have grabbed it while it was a reward, but I didn't. Stupid!)

2) Is F-Zero X only compatible with classic controllers on the Wii U? I only have one of those but I want to play multiplayer with my boyfriend. He's not much for most video games but I'll bet his Sonic Transformed addiction will transfer over nicely into F-Zero.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

The only F-Zero game I've played is GP Legend for the GBA, which I played way back when as a teenager and loved the hell out of. I recently dug it up again and oh god now I've got a taste for GOTTA GO FAST. :flashfap: I know as soon as my next paycheck comes in I'm going to hunt down a copy of F-Zero GX. In the meantime, though, a couple questions about the ones available on the VC.

1) Does F-Zero SNES have enough content to justify the $8 price tag? (I know, I know, really should have grabbed it while it was a reward, but I didn't. Stupid!)

2) Is F-Zero X only compatible with classic controllers on the Wii U? I only have one of those but I want to play multiplayer with my boyfriend. He's not much for most video games but I'll bet his Sonic Transformed addiction will transfer over nicely into F-Zero.

No to number 1. I believe you are correct on number 2. On the Wii, you could also use Gamecube controls.

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the recommendations guys. Was going to pick up a few of them before I saw soul hackers was on sale. It was bit more than I was planning to spend but I love SMT games. I've added several of these to my wish list though. How often do sales happen? It's know they are pretty frequent on psn but I haven't owned a nintendo system since the ds lite, and before the the game cube, so the eShop is totally new to me

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Medium Cool posted:

Thanks for the recommendations guys. Was going to pick up a few of them before I saw soul hackers was on sale. It was bit more than I was planning to spend but I love SMT games. I've added several of these to my wish list though. How often do sales happen? It's know they are pretty frequent on psn but I haven't owned a nintendo system since the ds lite, and before the the game cube, so the eShop is totally new to me

Atlus discounts their games frequently, although we've had a holiday each month for the past few months they've discounted around. Most other games never go on sale, or only price drop after the movie it ties in with leaves theaters.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

If you loved GP Legend you'll probably like the original F-Zero quite a bit.

Arnm616
Dec 4, 2004
You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake.
Just picked up a 3DS and have a quick question, can I download a game from the eShop in the background while I play something else?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Arnm616 posted:

Just picked up a 3DS and have a quick question, can I download a game from the eShop in the background while I play something else?

Nope, only either just sitting there in the store or while the system is in sleep mode. Not while actively playing.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I probably won't be able to post the NA update until after the Direct, but I can say that you're (probably) getting Super C (NES) on the Wii U VC, and I think there's another Wii Street U update, not that anyone cares.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I probably won't be able to post the NA update until after the Direct, but I can say that you're (probably) getting Super C (NES) on the Wii U VC, and I think there's another Wii Street U update, not that anyone cares.

Well its good to know Konami loves the Virtual Console.

Why is it that they are okay with releasing Super C and Contra 3 but not Hard Corps or Contra 1?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The eShop press release came out. Nothing worth mentioning aside from the Contra and a Feb 18 release date for AeternoBlade

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

What, no SMB3? :haw:

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
There'll probably be a Nintendo Direct "One More Thing" Eshop release, or whatever. Right?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Why doesn't Konami want to re-release the original Contra anymore?

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!

Fancy Hat! posted:

There'll probably be a Nintendo Direct "One More Thing" Eshop release, or whatever. Right?

Yeah, I'm almost certain we'll get a 'surprise' release today.

Hell, NA might even get SMB3 as part of it.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

SereneCrimson posted:

Yeah, I'm almost certain we'll get a 'surprise' release today.

Hell, NA might even get SMB3 as part of it.

NES Remix 2 with SMB3 levels removed from the American release.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
I'm guessing the DS Virtual Console on Wii U launches today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Spacebump posted:

NES Remix 2 with SMB3 levels removed from the American release.

You mean we'll finally get to play the level on the US box? :v:

(Also note the slightly-off World 1 map)