Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Yeah, TR itself isn't a bad mod with any problems, even not registering the .BSA file shouldn't have caused any problems until you tried to go to TR. Generally crashing when loading files means a mod is trying to load something it's dependent on and failing, usually because it's loading before the mod it needs. Were you loading any add-ons for TR that you would have disabled at the same time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Sky Shadowing posted:

Yeah, TR itself isn't a bad mod with any problems, even not registering the .BSA file shouldn't have caused any problems until you tried to go to TR. Generally crashing when loading files means a mod is trying to load something it's dependent on and failing, usually because it's loading before the mod it needs. Were you loading any add-ons for TR that you would have disabled at the same time?

Definitely this. When I mistakenly installed part of TR to the wrong folders (misplacing the .BSA file), there was just a sea of missing meshes and textures. The game remained stable, though. This definitely sounds like an .esp being orphaned.

Docetic Mountain
Jul 5, 2012
Nothin' disabled besides TR. Problem seemed to start when changing the MSGO options for some reason (also deleted random body parts from the animated NPCS). I've opened up the options and re-applied them again and everything seems to be fixed tho. Maybe it didn't apply fully last time for some reason?

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Are there any mods that make poisons useful? I start a new game every year or so and it always winds me up that at the start, you have no real abilities but are loaded with poisonous hypha facia and bungler's bane, and apart from grinding out useless potions for XP there's no way to use them. The best I found was a full crafting mod which lets you poison arrows... Fliggerty seemed to be working on one ages ago but apparently it was never released?

I'm amazed every single time by how much more beautiful this game is, 12 years later, than Oblivion and Skyrim. Sure, you move at an absolutely glacial pace, but that just gives you more time to watch the dawn breaking through the mist and trees, listen to the silt strider crying and the insects buzzing and the mudcrabs chittering, admire your character's mismatched armour of strange leathers and chitins, and contemplate how Morrowind is the best game.

Docetic Mountain
Jul 5, 2012
Are there any mods besides the Vivec head replacer, ghost fence replacer and Holamayan replacer that attempt to make things more like the (wonderful) Morrowind concept art? (I guess anything that opens Vivec's canton up a bit is also on that list).

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Docetic Mountain posted:

Are there any mods besides the Vivec head replacer, ghost fence replacer and Holamayan replacer that attempt to make things more like the (wonderful) Morrowind concept art? (I guess anything that opens Vivec's canton up a bit is also on that list).

There is an old mod by Piratelord called Vivec Redesigned, I believe, that makes all the cantons open-air. Naturally it has compatibility problems with mods that alter the inside of Vivec.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Redesigned Vivec is a must-have mod as far as I'm concerned. It's impossible to go back to those bland empty-looking pyramids after I found it.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED
Never have I been as legit angry at a mod as when I realized that BTB's Equipment Improvements (which I was under the impression just re-balanced the monetary cost of items to reasonable levels) made the Boots of Blinding Speed's effect on cast instead of constant. :flaccid:

If I wanted a game where I couldn't break poo poo with relative ease, I wouldn't be playing Morrowind FFS.

smokyprogg fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 9, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

smokyprogg posted:

Never have I been as legit angry at a mod as when I realized that BTB's Equipment Improvements (which I was under the impression just re-balanced the monetary cost of items to reasonable levels) made the Boots of Blinding Speed's effect on cast instead of constant. :flaccid:

If I wanted a game where I couldn't break poo poo with relative ease, I wouldn't be playing Morrowind FFS.

That's sort of the idea behind BTB's stuff, though. Installing BTB and then getting angry that it's somewhat harder to break the game is sort of silly. I mean, you can't really read a single one of his readme/rants without him saying something like that.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

You can always edit that out :eng101:

BTB's mods are a zero-sum experience. You gain a lot by standardizing spells and equipment, but lose a lot of fun with the weird idiosyncrasies of morrowind. Keep in mind BTB has never played morrowind. He's admitted that he's only looked at databases of spells and equipment and altered them to what he thinks would be fun.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Mortimer posted:

Keep in mind BTB has never played morrowind. He's admitted that he's only looked at databases of spells and equipment and altered them to what he thinks would be fun.

I don't have any experience with BTB's stuff, but is that for real? Holy poo poo. :psyduck:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Mortimer posted:

Keep in mind BTB has never played morrowind.

This isn't true, unfortunately...although it would be funny. It gets echoed on forums like GameFAQs a lot, with people repeating what somebody else said who swore they read him write that somewhere once.

EDIT: It may be true that he stopped legitimately playing the game once he started making his mod, and just started picking everything apart "like a developer would" and crunching numbers. But he has played the game.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Feb 9, 2014

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Ah, that would make sense. I know a while back someone on gamefaqs got mad and asked if BTBB had even playtested it, he responded something like "No, I don't play morrowind". It's probably more likely he just hasn't playtested it, not "hasn't played it at all". Although both are pretty funny :v:

Docetic Mountain
Jul 5, 2012

Krowley posted:

Redesigned Vivec is a must-have mod as far as I'm concerned. It's impossible to go back to those bland empty-looking pyramids after I found it.

Lookin at this picture I don't quite get how the waistworks/canals/underworks fit in. It all appears to be one level.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mortimer posted:

Ah, that would make sense. I know a while back someone on gamefaqs got mad and asked if BTBB had even playtested it, he responded something like "No, I don't play morrowind".

Sounds like a flippant way to say "shut up, I don't care 'bout your issues" to me, more than an admission of not having played the game.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Docetic Mountain posted:

Lookin at this picture I don't quite get how the waistworks/canals/underworks fit in. It all appears to be one level.

Never really thought about it but yeah the whole canton might be lower than it should be if you need to realistically account for the canalworks and underworks. They're still there though, via a door on the main level, and mostly unchanged as far as I can tell.

Docetic Mountain
Jul 5, 2012

Krowley posted:

Never really thought about it but yeah the whole canton might be lower than it should be if you need to realistically account for the canalworks and underworks. They're still there though, via a door on the main level, and mostly unchanged as far as I can tell.

I'll probably raise them a bit in the construction set. Looks sweet as heck otherwise, though.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Is there a mod that just ups the money on Creeper and Mudcrab Merchant a bit so I don't have to go through a whole rigamorale when I want to sell them something expensive?

I found a couple that are :pcgaming: MAXIMUM MEGA CREEPER MOD :pcgaming: which give them all sorts of extra stuff and I can always snag one of those but I'd prefer a simpler one.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Docetic Mountain posted:

I'll probably raise them a bit in the construction set. Looks sweet as heck otherwise, though.

If you do that, could you share the ESP?

Also BTB has played Morrowind, these days he just looks at the construction set and the underlying numbers. If you read through the Readmes of each of his mods, you'll see that the changes make sense, he really is only touching formulas and the like and making the game less "gamey".

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED
Did an export of Morrowind.esp's enchantments to override BTB's equipment changes, so it keeps the nicely re-valued equipment, as well as the broken-rear end vanilla artifacts. Woo! :pcgaming:

Pikestaff posted:

Is there a mod that just ups the money on Creeper and Mudcrab Merchant a bit so I don't have to go through a whole rigamorale when I want to sell them something expensive?

I found a couple that are :pcgaming: MAXIMUM MEGA CREEPER MOD :pcgaming: which give them all sorts of extra stuff and I can always snag one of those but I'd prefer a simpler one.

Here's something I just threw together realquick to multiply each of their gold by 100.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c7h4sj615l373y0/MM_Creeperx100.ESP

smokyprogg fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 9, 2014

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

smokyprogg posted:

Here's something I just threw together realquick to multiply each of their gold by 100.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c7h4sj615l373y0/MM_Creeperx100.ESP

You are a shining star. Thanks! :dance:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Pikestaff posted:

You could just player->additem gold_100 1000000 and break the economy that way instead :v:

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Pikestaff posted:

Looks like it's been done for you already, but you can just edit their available money in the Construction Kit. I've never done any other modding in my life but I found that particular change pretty easy when I wanted to make it (this was a long ago install, admittedly.)

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Pikestaff posted:

You are a shining star. Thanks! :dance:
Here's a good lesson in Morrowind mod making:
:siren: THAT MOD IS DIRTY :siren:
Here is a fixed version:
https://www.mediafire.com/?9aiixx43fle00sl

My first warning sign was the 6kb filesize. Sure enough, I opened it in TESame and found it edited 20 GMSTs. I deleted those references, resaved it, and uploaded it here.

Why this is important: Morrowind is weird, in that if you touch anything or even breathe on it funny, it saves a record of it in the esp. If you override GMSTs/anything else in a mod, any mod that intentionally changes these would have no effect.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

Mortimer posted:

Here's a good lesson in Morrowind mod making:
:siren: THAT MOD IS DIRTY :siren:
Here is a fixed version:
https://www.mediafire.com/?9aiixx43fle00sl

My first warning sign was the 6kb filesize. Sure enough, I opened it in TESame and found it edited 20 GMSTs. I deleted those references, resaved it, and uploaded it here.

Why this is important: Morrowind is weird, in that if you touch anything or even breathe on it funny, it saves a record of it in the esp. If you override GMSTs/anything else in a mod, any mod that intentionally changes these would have no effect.

Just out of curiosity, what would cause this? I have no experience with modding besides doing quick fixes like this. I just checked with TESame, and it changed a bunch of Werewolf settings and stuff like that? What on earth would have caused that?

smokyprogg fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 9, 2014

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Morrowind modding is a plane of oblivion in itself.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

smokyprogg posted:

Just out of curiosity, what would cause this? I have no experience with modding besides doing quick fixes like this. I just checked with TESame, and it changed a bunch of Werewolf settings and stuff like that? What on earth would have caused that?

Honestly no one knows for sure. Before cleaning tools a decade ago the standard procedure was "Don't touch anything not related to your mod. Don't click on any menus, don't click on any items if you don't have to." People would remake mods a few times just to ensure they didn't touch anything they didn't have to. You can usually see what was edited with the * next to it in the CS. All it takes is clicking on it, or clicking on something related to it for it to register a change, and therefore stores the value in the esp. But sometimes it doesn't and you're fine.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
The problem with game settings in particular is that the Construction Kit will automatically include the default game settings of all loaded .esm files and plugins in mods you create or edit. Which is bad if you only loaded Morrowind.esm, because the add-ons changed some settings and added new ones, like the werewolf stuff. So you either have to make sure to load all relevant base files, which needlessly increases your plugin's dependencies, or clean it afterwards with TEStool or whatever.

The UESP wiki has a decent write-up about this.

Docetic Mountain
Jul 5, 2012
So I have some wonderful mods which alter the landscape of Ebonheart and Ald-Ruhn and now all MGSO grass in these areas are like 5 feet off the ground and blinding to walk through. Is there any fix/work around to make the grass conform to the new landscapes?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Docetic Mountain posted:

So I have some wonderful mods which alter the landscape of Ebonheart and Ald-Ruhn and now all MGSO grass in these areas are like 5 feet off the ground and blinding to walk through. Is there any fix/work around to make the grass conform to the new landscapes?

Nope. Either revert to vanilla or deal. Or remove the grass specific to that area and rerun distant land.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Anyone know where I can find a guide/walkthrough for Rise of House Telvanni? I want to see the content but really have no idea where to begin. I am already ArchMagister. Am also using Uvirith's Legacy.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I'm afraid to ask, but are there any combat mods that make melee combat in Morrowind less lovely?

I'm not even talking about mods that let you do special moves like backstabs and head chopping off, I'd settle for something as simple as "never miss but there's a cooldown after each weapon swing before you can attack again" or even something that makes you never miss but drains stamina much more aggressively and treats it like Dark Souls stamina.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
What's your opinion of the mod Sotha Sil Expanded? I only got to play an hour of it before my last computer committed seppuku and never got around to redownloading it. Seemed fun from what I played of it.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

What's your opinion of the mod Sotha Sil Expanded? I only got to play an hour of it before my last computer committed seppuku and never got around to redownloading it. Seemed fun from what I played of it.

It's the magnum opus of an eccentric but talented modder obsessed with dwemer architecture and a habit of making every room into a maze.

It's neat though.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Docetic Mountain posted:

You can, though I don't remember how. :( think it involves a utility that generates animated grass, and excluding specific cells at some point so mods adding the same area don't compete and have the problem you're having. I've got a modded to hell copy of Morrowind but it's been "complete" for a couple years so I haven't actually done anything complicated in forever.

I too have several expanded mods for Ebonheart and had to make them play nice.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I think I'm gonna bite and reinstall Morrowind now. Is the OP updated? The Morrowind Overhaul unofficial patch is from more than a year ago, do I still need it?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

It hasn't been updated except for hotfix, but it is still highly recommended. Some parts of it are out of date by now I think (mlox, which is like morrowind's BOSS) but in no way should that be a problem unless you start trying to pile a bunch of mods on top of it haphazardly.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Yeah, I probably won't have too many mods. I was thinking of just the Overhaul, Tamriel Rebuilt and Galsiah's character development. I'd like suggestions for other gameplay related mods, but I still have a bunch of questlines I haven't played after all these years so vanilla should be good enough for me.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Mr. Crow posted:

You can, though I don't remember how. :( think it involves a utility that generates animated grass, and excluding specific cells at some point so mods adding the same area don't compete and have the problem you're having. I've got a modded to hell copy of Morrowind but it's been "complete" for a couple years so I haven't actually done anything complicated in forever.

I too have several expanded mods for Ebonheart and had to make them play nice.

Yea I had this in my downloads archive, you can check it out and the readme and my MNC Ebonheart file to try and figure out how to modify it / get it to work, I sure as gently caress don't remember.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/1m9nynwot5adu87/Mesh_Generator.7z

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

SunAndSpring posted:

I thought it was pretty bad. You can filter down to other posts I made in this thread about it if you want details, but I felt like he made the city impossible to navigate and then fell back on "I designed it that way, like a mad god designed it!" as an excuse for levels with poor layouts and nothing to direct the player on what to do next.