Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What's the name of the song that plays during the resignation screen of EU3? I was listening to a podcast about the history of the Christian Church and it started playing and startled me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
It's Dies Irae from Mozart's Requiem.

Littlefinger fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 10, 2014

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDFFHaz9GsY
Is this it?

E: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^drat, wrong Dies Irae.
gently caress it, time to listen to the entire soundtrack.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 10, 2014

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Well the tipping point for the Americas has less to do with technology or whatever and more with 90%+ of the natives dying horribly and rapidly, in several waves, leaving the better part of two continents in a post-apocalyptic wasteland of its former civilization.

You don't see that in Asia or Africa, the difference the germs made is probably the biggest factor.

Would be kinda hard to model in a "fun way" in game though (Well I guess all the grey colonizable provinces are kinda that, except they are like that before the Europeans even show up). Unless Paradox threw in a lot of Native American Mad Max references and unique art... :allears:

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
I've been learning Victoria 2 with friends and I'm confused about what negative tariffs are. Say tariffs are -100%. Does that mean that all imported goods are free? Does -50% tariffs mean that all imported goods are half off?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I'm trying to do a Peru-Bolivia thing in PDM and I have no idea what I'm doing, so I'm gonna copy a post I made in /r/paradoxplaza here and see if any of ya'll have any suggestions re: surviving the initial wars and making it to 1840:

So I just finished reading a fantastic book, Caudillo of the Andes, about the life of Andres de Santa Cruz, the statesman largely responsible for the formation of the Confederation. I remembered that it was (accurately) the starting configuration of the Andes in Victoria II PDM and thought I'd give it a go.

I tried to start as Bolivia (since Santa Cruz was, at least temporarily, president there) because they were the non-divided state in the tripartite Confederation. They start out with pretty much jack poo poo - no factories, no reserves, no allies besides south Peru, and a brewing conflict with the external Argentinean threat.

My problem is I got immediately and decisively boned by the Chileans/North Peruvians over the liberation of the coastal stretch of Bolivia. With an army 12,000 strong and nobody to mobilize Chile quickly crushed me with it's force of 15,000 regulars and 6,000 mobilized farmers. Without that force I couldn't help the South Peruvians beat either group.
I'm not so worried about economics, but how do I deal with that initial war? Should I try playing as Peru? I tried googling but all I could find was a discontinued AAR or two. Any advice on actually successfully forming the Peru-Bolivian Confederation would be hella appreciated.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Fandyien posted:

I'm trying to do a Peru-Bolivia thing in PDM and I have no idea what I'm doing, so I'm gonna copy a post I made in /r/paradoxplaza here and see if any of ya'll have any suggestions re: surviving the initial wars and making it to 1840:

So I just finished reading a fantastic book, Caudillo of the Andes, about the life of Andres de Santa Cruz, the statesman largely responsible for the formation of the Confederation. I remembered that it was (accurately) the starting configuration of the Andes in Victoria II PDM and thought I'd give it a go.

I tried to start as Bolivia (since Santa Cruz was, at least temporarily, president there) because they were the non-divided state in the tripartite Confederation. They start out with pretty much jack poo poo - no factories, no reserves, no allies besides south Peru, and a brewing conflict with the external Argentinean threat.

My problem is I got immediately and decisively boned by the Chileans/North Peruvians over the liberation of the coastal stretch of Bolivia. With an army 12,000 strong and nobody to mobilize Chile quickly crushed me with it's force of 15,000 regulars and 6,000 mobilized farmers. Without that force I couldn't help the South Peruvians beat either group.
I'm not so worried about economics, but how do I deal with that initial war? Should I try playing as Peru? I tried googling but all I could find was a discontinued AAR or two. Any advice on actually successfully forming the Peru-Bolivian Confederation would be hella appreciated.

Restart until Brazil allies, concede to other states as needed, but make sure you win the war vs Peru. Try and finish off Peru before the other states can do too much, and you can use your increased manpower to turn around and beat them with enough luck.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

GrossMurpel posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDFFHaz9GsY
Is this it?

E: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^drat, wrong Dies Irae.
gently caress it, time to listen to the entire soundtrack.

Verdi's is the superior one anyway :colbert:

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

maev posted:

There isn't anything Wiz or Darkrenown or anyone else in this thread can say to stop Wolfgang Pauli from dredging up barely applicable anecdotes or plain absurd historical arugment to argue the toss over Westernization being some kind of intrinsically racist thing that Must Be Changed.
It's becoming a tiresome horse-flogging, and I hope the devs focus on things that matter in the game, rather than endlessly beat themselves up over a better way to represent an exhaustive subject on western predominance via the medium of in game mechanics which serve well enough.
Heaven forbid we think critically about a game we all play and discuss in this thread for discussion about this game. Let's never think about how the mechanics of this historical game reflect upon actual historical processes. I don't expect PDS to do anything about it and it's not even a very pressing issue. The game is fun and I think it's a shame that its handling of this one thing is kind of clumsy and unpolished.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

A lot of people adopted firearms before Europeans did though, and yet they still ended up dominated.
Almost exclusively from trade, and not military conquest. Even the military conquest was more political maneuvering than having a stack of technological marvels sitting offshore -- the Aztecs weren't fighting an army of Conquistadors, they were fighting their neighbors and tributary states lead by a small contingent of Conquistadors. I keep bringing this up because the next EU4 expansion is literally called The Wealth of Nations and is supposed to be dealing with Europe's colonization of South and Southeast Asia, particularly India, which was established through trading posts and complicity with local government, not invasion or plantation. West Africa operated in a not-too-dissimilar fashion and never even had the corporate assumption of government power you saw in India. Europeans didn't even know what the gently caress the interior of Africa looked like until the 1850s.

RagnarokAngel posted:

That's kind of intended though. The point is historically Europeans did wipe out many other cultures singlehandedly (and this would continue up until the Victoria era and some might argue is still happening, just in a different way). I realize that more goes into it than just pure tech superiority (e.g. Many native american civilizations were in a period of civil war when the Europeans arrived, making it a lot easier to fight a divided nation) and if circumstances were different, Europe may not have had the dominance that it had. The point was that it did and so that's what people expect from "historical accuracy". The tech system isn't meant to represent just this nature of "pure" racial intelligence, it represents a multitude of factors (Economic, socio, political) that the game just is not complicated enough to represent. poo poo, historians can't even agree what those factors are besides "Jared Diamond is dumb pop history trash for idiots".
They had a huge impact, but they generally didn't hold actual land outside of the Americas. The East India Company's first genuine battle with the Indians was in the 1750s (and literally the same year they gained control over Bengal they killed 10 million people in a famine) and the Scramble for Africa was at the late 19th century. European control over the world was, again, an unwaveringly capitalist hegemony, and one that was only concretely solidified and able to be unquestionably enforced with guns by the Industrial Revolution. There's no historical consensus, true, but not many historians would disagree that Marx, Lukacs, and Said would be good starting points.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Marx, right, I get it now.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Um...the conquest of India by the British East India Company (from the 1757 taking of Bengal to utter hegemony in 1818 when the Maratha Confederacy was finally finished off) is totally included in the period of time this game is supposed to cover. I know people think of it as a Renaissance game, but the wars with Bengal, Mysore, and the Marathas in the late 18th and early 19th century are all part of the EU timeframe, as is Nader Shah's sacking of Delhi, the rise of Ahmed Shah Durrani's Afghan empire that took in most of the northern part of the Mughal territory, the ascendency of the Sikhs in Punjab, and the general utter collapse of any native authority capable of fighting the British. The Nawab of Bengal sought to fend off the British through an alliance with the French. Mysore sought to fend off the British, forty years later, through an alliance with the French (including Tipu Sultan planting a Liberty Tree in his court and talking about how great the Revolution was in order to stay on good terms with the French diplomats). The native states that "resisted" were attempting to align with the more distant and weaker colonial power against the British and use French military expertise and weaponry to better fight back (and did so to considerable success at first, to the point that the Duke of Wellington considered his victory over Tipu Sultan at Seringapatam to be a greater victory than Waterloo). Nevertheless, my point is that there was, by the 18th century, a pretty widespread idea among the native states that emulating the British and French was the key to maintaining independence (and the ones that did that and maintained an alliance with the British East India Company, like Hyderabad, managed to maintain self-rule throughout the entire imperial period).

Europa Universalis IV wouldn't be what it is if a British conquest of India was simply out of the question, and it totally was (after 1757) both a military and a diplomatic/economic expansion rather than just one, to the point where they fought three separate wars over the course of twenty years to smash the Maratha Confederacy, the last native power with the power to seriously threaten them, right after fighting four wars with Mysore. You can get to the double digits in wars the British fought in India between 1757 and 1820, calling it a mostly diplomatic or economic process is deeply disingenuous.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

maev posted:

Don't sink to this level even if you disagree with his politics its still a valid historical perspective.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
At this point, we may as well just move this thread to D&D! :v:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

DrSunshine posted:

At this point, we may as well just move this thread to D&D! :v:

Then we'll be over run by Marxists.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

maev posted:

Holy poo poo dude you're pretty loving dense :lol:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Patter Song posted:

Europa Universalis IV wouldn't be what it is if a British conquest of India was simply out of the question, and it totally was (after 1757) both a military and a diplomatic/economic expansion rather than just one, to the point where they fought three separate wars over the course of twenty years to smash the Maratha Confederacy, the last native power with the power to seriously threaten them, right after fighting four wars with Mysore. You can get to the double digits in wars the British fought in India between 1757 and 1820, calling it a mostly diplomatic or economic process is deeply disingenuous.

The problem, as Wiz and others have said, is that this happens in 1600, not 1757.

(The speed at which the Americas is colonized is a similar problem, and one which I'm kind of sad the expansion didn't really address.)

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!
How about we argue about Marxian perspectives on colonialism in D&D and talk about Europe Universalis and other Paradox titles in here? It would be great to have a tech system that models how technology was developed in the real world (although noone really has a concrete explanation as to how this really worked) but EU is complex enough as it is and when you have a game like this with multiple systems interacting with each other the complexity increases rapidly. I doubt the non-racist tech tree is worth the number of dev hours required to actually implement it let alone spend the time needed to constantly update and tweak it.

Is it perfect? No, but its about as realistic as anything else in the game. Its kind of unrealistic how Britain can conquer pieces of India in 1600 but you basically have to fudge the system a bit and end up with less realism or else you have a cascading series of increasingly complex systems that don't work, like Magna Mundi.

It would probably be good to lower colonization speed, not only so the egalitarian Sioux confederacy can develop their cure for cancer and repulse the ravenous white colonizers, but to just stop colonial snowballing. It seems like half of my games end up with Spain having a strangle-hold on most of the western hemisphere.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children

Farecoal posted:

Holy poo poo dude you're pretty loving dense :lol:

You're a bit confused about the relationship between Marxism, it's politics and historiography. This is the equivalent of pulling out Andrew Roberts's History of The English speaking peoples (or even Churchill's book of the same name) to back the opposite. If anyone thinks serious historical debate has room for Marx bar an interest in the history of historiography then I don't know what to say. That Wolfgang Pauli is literally citing it simply puts into perspective the terrible arguments he's making, which are basically just an offshoot of 19th century predictive history at its worst, so by condoning it we just consign over a hundred years of historical methodology to the dustbin because we prefer ideological undertones which I'm frankly tired of seeing in a thread about history games.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

maev posted:

You're a bit confused about the relationship between Marxism, it's politics and historiography. This is the equivalent of pulling out Andrew Roberts's History of The English speaking peoples (or even Churchill's book of the same name) to back the opposite. If anyone thinks serious historical debate has room for Marx bar an interest in the history of historiography then I don't know what to say. That Wolfgang Pauli is literally citing it simply puts into perspective the terrible arguments he's making, which are basically just an offshoot of 19th century predictive history at its worst, so by condoning it we just consign over a hundred years of historical methodology to the dustbin because we prefer ideological undertones which I'm frankly tired of seeing in a thread about history games.

You're right, but that's only because Marx is seen as too Eurocentric in today's historiography. The view you are presenting here, that the Europeans were technologically, economically and militarily superior (let's say) before the last half of the 18th century, is a hilariously outdated notion. The reasons for the so called "rise of the west" (or "decline of the east" to some) is still hotly debated and I don't expect a video game to get into that boondoggle. But a European state walking over India and China in the 1500s is a totally absurd idea and the reason why many Paradox Interactive players don't notice that is mostly because they are ignorant about the history of these regions and suffer from a debilitating case of anachronism.

But none of this actually matters. What matters is, if it is actually fun to play as non-European nations or to interact with them. EU4 is somewhat of an improvement in many respects for that but the game still needlessly kneecaps ROTW to submission and the end result is playing in Europe is always more fun.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I wonder why Johan hasn't said anything about this yet. This can only mean :siren:he's a communist.:siren:

please stop

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

fspades posted:

EU4 is somewhat of an improvement in many respects for that but the game still needlessly kneecaps ROTW to submission and the end result is playing in Europe is always more fun.

I highly debate this notion. I pretty much only play in Asia or Africa as it's the only way I'm handicapped enough to make the AI a credible threat to me. If I'm Kongo, Portugal is an existential threat and it's exhilarating using all of the diplomatic tricks at my disposal to keep on their good side while I grow strong enough to strike back.

I don't get the "Europe is more fun" notion because I like being horribly outmatched and knowing if I go to war I will be utterly smashed, because the thrill when I finally catch up and can go to war and smash them is fantastic.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

PleasingFungus posted:

The problem, as Wiz and others have said, is that this happens in 1600, not 1757.

(The speed at which the Americas is colonized is a similar problem, and one which I'm kind of sad the expansion didn't really address.)

In EU4 I don't think I've ever seen a European nation as successful in India as they were historically. Europe steamrolls the Americas in a far quicker and more bland process then it was historically, colonizes Africa to a far greater extent then it did in the time period, but they never achieve dominion in Eurasia to the extent they did irl.

The game doesn't model colonization after the first 1000 people so you never get the slowly growing and deepening control that occurred historically. Instead the Europeans can conquer the Americas and become fully in control of a developed economy instantly instead of nominal control turning into actual control over the time frame as settler populations transferred. Conversely, it also doesn't model co-option of local elites or Europe's ability to turn local powers against each in Eurasia or the way that infrastructure made exerting control easier and more profitable there then it was in America. Also the lack of lift-ratings or the equivalent screws things up, especially in Africa.

Basically what I'm saying is that we need Vicky-lite mechanics.

SickZip fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 11, 2014

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Is the colonization system perfect? Nope
Is it racist? No, it's the way it is for ease of gameplay and design.

Is it communist? Absolutely.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!
I have no problem with people debating the merits of EU4's system, from whatever perspective they want - ethical, Marxist, historiographical, etc - it is no less or more annoying to me than endless baseless speculation over DLC or games we've seen all of 5 screenshots of). But if you're gonna do that in my thread, can you guys at least do it with a little less bile and flippancy?

We're not in D&D (we're next door! :v:), but we aren't in GBS either.

Gorgo Primus fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 11, 2014

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Almost exclusively from trade, and not military conquest. Even the military conquest was more political maneuvering than having a stack of technological marvels sitting offshore -- the Aztecs weren't fighting an army of Conquistadors, they were fighting their neighbors and tributary states lead by a small contingent of Conquistadors. I keep bringing this up because the next EU4 expansion is literally called The Wealth of Nations and is supposed to be dealing with Europe's colonization of South and Southeast Asia, particularly India, which was established through trading posts and complicity with local government, not invasion or plantation. West Africa operated in a not-too-dissimilar fashion and never even had the corporate assumption of government power you saw in India. Europeans didn't even know what the gently caress the interior of Africa looked like until the 1850s.

You have a deformed overly ideological conception of history.

Tiny little Portugal was fighting and beating Asian powers since the 1500's. It clowned on Indian and Southeast Asian states while being located months of travel away. Saying trade was the reason for, and sole method of, European domination is dumb. It doesn't explain why Europe was able to wrest control away from established players and establish trade hegemony. Its an effect and not a cause. It also completely underrates that European trade went hand-in-hand with European force and their ability to use their supply of superior weapons to make themselves a desirable partner in local power struggles.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That is an interesting take on what Portugal did.

Kind of disingenuous, but interesting.

(for those wondering, portugal relied heavily on native allies in all their various conquest, though they did fight when need be. They defintely where not crushing opponents while heavily outnumbered or something.)

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 11, 2014

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

Gorgo Primus posted:

I have no problem with people debating the merits of EU4's system, from whatever perspective they want - ethical, Marxist, historiographical, etc - it is no less or more annoying to me than endless baseless speculation over DLC or games we've seen all of 5 screenshots of). But if you're gonna do that in my thread, can you guys at least do it with a little less bile and flippancy?

We're not in D&D (we're next door! :v:), but we aren't in GBS either.

Yeah, I actually kind of enjoy reading this stuff. People being a little less mad about video games them would be nicer, but I don't think the subject matter is completely inappropriate.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

SickZip posted:

You have a deformed overly ideological conception of history.

Tiny little Portugal was fighting and beating Asian powers since the 1500's. It clowned on Indian and Southeast Asian states while being located months of travel away. Saying trade was the reason for, and sole method of, European domination is dumb. It doesn't explain why Europe was able to wrest control away from established players and establish trade hegemony. Its an effect and not a cause. It also completely underrates that European trade went hand-in-hand with European force and their ability to use their supply of superior weapons to make themselves a desirable partner in local power struggles.

I see you do a lot of posting in GBS 1.4!

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

CharlestheHammer posted:

That is an interesting take on what Portugal did.

Kind of disingenuous, but interesting.

(for those wondering, portugal relied heavily on native allies in all their various conquest, though they did fight when need be.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cochin_(1504)

1504 and Portugal managed one of the most humiliating battles in history against Calicut. Portugal fairly consistently beat local naval powers while operating in foreign territory months away from home. Portugal was able to beat Indian forces at ratios you cannot even come close to achieving in EU4. Portugal was consistently able to win trade concessions, ports, and control through clever use of local allies.

How do you even explain what was happening around the Indian Ocean in the 1500's unless Portugal was more advanced in some manner? The "local ally" explanation is so lame by itself because it can't explain why the Europeans were apparently so unearthly good at making them and getting the best of them. Unless theres a solid material reason why it kept happening and why there was such a fairly consistent trend toward more European power as a result, your either left with a couple hundred years of history as nothing but an unbelievably long series of accidents or you make it seem like Europeans were so much more clever that even with no physical cause for their advantage they kept out-smarting the locals.

SickZip fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 11, 2014

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Farecoal posted:

I see you do a lot of posting in GBS 1.4!

I am physically incapable of not posting low effort trolls in GBS.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

SickZip posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cochin_(1504)

1504 and Portugal managed one of the most humiliating battles in history against Calicut. Portugal fairly consistently beat local naval powers while operating in foreign territory months away from home. Portugal consistently beat Indian forces at ratios you cannot even come close to achieving in EU4. Portugal was consistently able to win trade concessions, ports, and control through clever use of local allies.

How do you even explain what was happening around the Indian Ocean in the 1500's unless Portugal was more advanced in some manner? The "local ally" explanation is so lame by itself because it can't explain why the Europeans were apparently so unearthly good at making them and getting the best of them. Unless theres a solid material reason why it kept happening and why there was such a fairly consistent trend toward more European power as a result, your either left with a couple hundred years of history as nothing but an unbelievably long series of accidents or you make it seem like Europeans were so much more clever that even with no physical cause for their advantage they kept out-smarting the locals.

That was a siege, which are often able to beat a much larger force.

Though I wouldn't doubt Portugals vast sea experience gave then the edge there.

Also they don't get anything special out of their native allies is just in general we only talk about westerner forces using native allies. Using Native or foreign allies to supplement small numbers has been a thing for a long time.

edit: I feel like trying to say it was because of tech and whatnot kind of undermines what Portugal was able to do. Which is a bit unfair.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Defeatist Elitist posted:

Yeah, I actually kind of enjoy reading this stuff. People being a little less mad about video games them would be nicer, but I don't think the subject matter is completely inappropriate.

Seconded! This is actually a bit more interesting (when civil) than months of "LOL Paradox forums CLAY".

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

SickZip posted:

Local allies kept happening because people are universally dumb when dealing with those they don't know, whereas they know they hate their neighbors. You can see the same thing happening in reverse, to the detriment of Europe, just a few centuries earlier during the Mongol Conquests.

And I don't think people are arguing that Europe didn't have some degree of technological superiority during most of EU4's timeframe, just that it's given undue importance.

Personally I don't care about having to westernize so much- the game will always have to revolve around Europe for as long as there are static trade routes (which I know isn't gonna change in EU4). It's only really annoying 'cause it kills what little flavour the other regions have.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

CharlestheHammer posted:

That was a siege, which are often able to beat a much larger force.

Though I wouldn't doubt Portugals vast sea experience gave then the edge there.

Also they don't get anything special out of their native allies is just in general we only talk about westerner forces using native allies. Using Native or foreign allies to supplement small numbers has been a thing for a long time.

edit: I feel like trying to say it was because of tech and whatnot kind of undermines what Portugal was able to do. Which is a bit unfair.

18,000 to zero is ridiculous even by siege standards. Especially when you outnumbered your opponents 50-1. It also wasn't just a siege and was significantly more complicated. Calicut was also using Ventian weapons, the couple cannon of which were the only weapons they had that had the range to hit back against the Portugese cannons (tech advantage!).

My point about the native allies is that pointing them out doesn't really have any explanatory power. I've heard them pointed out about nearly every European campaign, especially in the Americas. Yeah they used locals (so did everyone pretty much), but why did they get so many local allies, why did they keep coming on top over their erstwhile allies even when they were still heavily outnumbered, why was there such a consistent overall direction to events if things were progressing through nothing but contingency.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Johan and co come to this forum to avoid this kind of bullshit. If they wanted endless nitpicking they'd just stay on the Paradox forums.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008
Sidebar from fascinating history discussion:

podcat on Paradox forums posted:

but there really won't be any faux cyrillics this time
Boo. Faux-cryllic and the other fonts were an easy way to tell at a glance the alignment of any given country from any map mode.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

SickZip posted:

18,000 to zero is ridiculous even by siege standards. Especially when you outnumbered your opponents 50-1. It also wasn't just a siege and was significantly more complicated. Calicut was also using Ventian weapons, the couple cannon of which were the only weapons they had that had the range to hit back against the Portugese cannons (tech advantage!).
Which is useful in a siege but doesn't get you that much overall ( at least by itself). Though no one is arguing they had no tech advantage.

SickZip posted:

My point about the native allies is that pointing them out doesn't really have any explanatory power. I've heard them pointed out about nearly every European campaign, especially in the Americas. Yeah they used locals (so did everyone pretty much), but why did they get so many local allies, why did they keep coming on top over their erstwhile allies even when they were still heavily outnumbered, why was there such a consistent overall direction to events if things were progressing through nothing but contingency.

Because while hindsight makes it look bad, those natives saw an oppurtnity to have a useful and heavily militarized force to increase their own power. Its a no brainer.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 11, 2014

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Johan and co come to this forum to avoid this kind of bullshit. If they wanted endless nitpicking they'd just stay on the Paradox forums.

Oh no those poor developers who we gave money to!!!

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Koramei posted:

And I don't think people are arguing that Europe didn't have some degree of technological superiority during most of EU4's timeframe, just that it's given undue importance.

Really?

fspades posted:

The view you are presenting here, that the Europeans were technologically, economically and militarily superior (let's say) before the last half of the 18th century, is a hilariously outdated notion.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Europe didn't advance economically or technologically by tapping the mysteries of ancients who didn't know about that poo poo either, they did it by importing that technology from abroad and using their amassed wealth to further invest in the military and cultural institutions that enforced that flow of wealth.

When Cochin occurred at the very dawn of Europe arriving in the Indian ocean and Europe already had a technological lead in some areas.

Alright, I'm done with this derail. My general point is that Europe already had a slight tech lead at the start date of EU4 and that people should stop proposing Westernization mechanics that are way more ahistoric then what we already have.

edit: argh, guy below me. Cortez beating forces five-to-one is historic. He did way better then that irl. He just couldn't win tens-of-thousands to one, which is what the conquest would have required if he hadn't won allies by being a terrifying dude who could win at more then five-to-one and possessed the local equivalent of crazy sci-fi weaponry.

SickZip fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!
The complexities of these examples are really interesting but in terms of implementing them in a way that is balanced, fun and meshes well with the overall game I don't really see how that's possible. Yeah, Cortez showing up and destroying Aztec armies outnumbered 5 to 1 with ease single-handedly is unrealistic, but how the hell are you supposed to simulate the complex mix of disease, internal dissent and local alliances that brought about his victory, in the context of the game? We're talking a Magna Mundi-esque level of complexity here. It just isn't going to work.

I'll admit westernization is kind of gamey now, but the simple fact is that at the level of abstraction the game is set at, actually modelling these factors at anything approximating how it worked in reality is a non-starter, from what little I can see anyway.

• Locked thread