Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Qwo posted:

I was googling Stan Sakai to see how his wife was doing, there was that auction late last year to help him out, and I saw this.

Man, poor guy. :smith:

This looks nice. :unsmith:

This Sakai poo poo breaks my heart. I meant to take part in the auction but there wasn't enough info when I heard about it and then it just slipped off my radar.

I went straight from Flex Mentallo to reading about Sakai, and I got a lot of thoughts. A lot of thoughts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gummy Joe
Aug 16, 2007

Well, I wouldn't have Ol' Chomper here, that's for sure!

Lurdiak posted:

So does anyone in the know want to explain these panels to me?

Because, to the untrained eye, it looks like an old Superman making out with a 14-year old (at most) girl.

It's from volume 3 of a series called "Generations" by John Byrne, which is basically a "What if Superman and Batman and everybody else aged and had kids?" thing starting in the early 20th century (1920s or so). Every issue in a given volume takes place a decade/11 years/a century after the previous one, with all three volumes sharing continuity.

That's a 14 year old Lana Lang, who just took a trip to the 29th century with a similarly young Lois Lane via an accidental use of a Time Sphere. That's an older Superman, who went grey in 1984 or so and then went to New Genesis for a bit and then came back and ran into Lang and Lane in the 29th century ('cause, you know, Superman ages but not that fast I guess). While on their jaunt to the 29th century Lang and Lane stumbled across the Superman Museum and found out Supes' secret identity and Lois' future marriage to him (Lois also gets to meet her great-granddaughter at this time, how fun!). Now they've been brought back to their home time of 1925 and Lana, knowing she's got no future with Superman, wants a drat kiss. So Supes, after noting Lana is indeed 14 and man it's kinda weird to be wanting a kiss from a grown man especially since his dad and mom and future wife and great-granddaughter and freakin' Batman are all hanging out in the Kent farm parlor as well, plants one on Lana as she requested.

In short: John Byrne has some dumb ideas.

That being said, Generations 1 is a pretty good series with a nice running storyline through the decades with some good twists and shaking out of the Superman and Batman family trees. Generations 2 is alright, a lot of contained stories focusing on other characters from the JLA and JSA with varying levels of payoff. Generations 3 sucks (as if the Superpedophila wasn't a clue) and is confusing and stupidly cavalier about big life-altering events due to its century-hopping in each issue.

Gummy Joe fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Feb 8, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Since it has been done recently, I will also post a picture of my bookshelves. It's probably not big enough to see much detail, though.

All the books are on their sides because I still haven't decided how I want to arrange them. I always get a kick out of looking at the "post your collection raffle" pictures from a while back in the hardcovers and collected editions thread; everybody seems to do a great job of organising their stuff.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

John Byrne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBJZwYpHUBo

But also: :ughh:

I was really hoping it was some kind of art problem.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Metal Loaf posted:

I always get a kick out of looking at the "post your collection raffle" pictures from a while back in the hardcovers and collected editions thread;
Might be time for another one of those soon...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Apparently, Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning have dissolved their writing partnership.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Balls. Those two are responsible for my favorite comics of the last decade.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
A lecture on Jack Kirby:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0JNsseFoXk

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
We posting shelves in this thread?

Waiting to get some Guy Gardner: Warrior binds back from the book binder.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shawn posted:

I can't wait to see this. What outside material did you include?

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I can't wait to see this. What outside material did you include?

Just started with Guy Gardner Reborn and included crossover issues, The JLI the trouble with Guys issues, The GL issues from Emerald Fallout and the Major Force storyline and all the issues from Way of the Warrior. I have the superman appearances with eradicator, but didn't feel like hassling with every single guy appearance. I may do a zero trade with the Crisis issues of GLC and the early issues of the early 90s series, like a Guy and his Gnort and the issue where Hal breaks Guy's ring.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Rhyno posted:

Balls. Those two are responsible for my favorite comics of the last decade.

Their Nova is one of the first comics I read when I got into monthlies, and there was something great about following what they did and realizing these dudes loved the same poo poo I did, just as much as I did. This really sucks.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Thanks for this.

The quality wasn't perfect but it was a really great watch.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Shawn posted:

We posting shelves in this thread?

What are your custom binds on the top shelf?

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

redbackground posted:

What are your custom binds on the top shelf?

Quasar and Young Justice. My favorite books as a kid.

I'll post pictures of them in the hardcover thread in a little bit.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I would love to do custom binds of Micronauts and ROM but I just can't bring myself to tear apart the comics my uncle gave me when I was a kid, and there's no way in hell I'm buying a second set of either of those books. It took me ten years to finish the first set.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

On Saturday I sat in a pizzeria listening to the guys next to me have a real-life Goku vs Superman argument, but inclusive of other people in comics as well. I never thought anybody would ever actually have that argument, let alone decide that although Goku would beat Superman easily, he couldn't beat Flash "because Flash can run through time".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ghostlight posted:

On Saturday I sat in a pizzeria listening to the guys next to me have a real-life Goku vs Superman argument, but inclusive of other people in comics as well. I never thought anybody would ever actually have that argument, let alone decide that although Goku would beat Superman easily, he couldn't beat Flash "because Flash can run through time".

That's sound logic and I endorse it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Flash's ultimate trump card is going back in time and beating a little baby to death.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ghostlight posted:

Superman also couldn't beat the Enterprise.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Literally The Worst posted:

In Heroclix, Kirk has a better than even chance of punching out the Enterprise.

It's a fun game.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CapnAndy posted:

It's a fun game.

Superman lost to Ali.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CapnAndy posted:

It's a fun game.

One night at work we started talkng about this kind of poo poo, and that was how we got on "who would win, X or Y" and we decided that all the Enterprise has to do is warp to a system with a red sun and then shoot Superman with a phaser.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
How would that help? Unless superman was on the ship or they harpooned him and dragged him there..

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cassa posted:

How would that help? Unless superman was on the ship or they harpooned him and dragged him there..

They're in space, man. Red sun, no powers, shoot him with the phasers. Boom. Krypton's extinct.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

They're in space, man. Red sun, no powers, shoot him with the phasers. Boom. Krypton's extinct.

Who says Superman has to follow them to the red sun?

Also, didn't he fly straight through a red sun while beating up Superboy Prime? It's not like he immediately loses his juice.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I think more modern stories have suggested that he doesn't immediately lose power, but whatever he expends isn't recharged and it may sap some.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Question. Can Superman breathe in space?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
He could pre-Crisis, couldn't post-Crisis. I'm not sure about the New 52.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

prefect posted:

Who says Superman has to follow them to the red sun?
He doesn't but that's where Lois is.

quote:

I think it's more that he doesn't need to breathe.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

That's reasonable, Kirk's entire reputation is on out-thinking Gods and godlike beings.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Madkal posted:

No, but he can hold his breath for a hecka long time.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

bobkatt013 posted:

Superman lost to Ali.

To be fair, it was Ali.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
So Antonio Inoki is two notches above Superman. Well, that's how he'd book it, anyway.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I would love to do custom binds of Micronauts and ROM but I just can't bring myself to tear apart the comics my uncle gave me when I was a kid, and there's no way in hell I'm buying a second set of either of those books. It took me ten years to finish the first set.

poo poo. I just sold my ROM binds. Think it cost me about $150 and a year of tracking issues down to do it. Got $200 for them. After the Ebay/Paypal fees I probably broke even but they were fun to have and cool looking.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

To be fair, it was Ali.

If you subtract all Superman's powers you get a farm boy with a good heart. Ali was the heavyweight champion of the world. The really surprising thing is that Superman isn't, like, dead after two punches.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
It was requested that this discussion be taken out of the movie thread, as I agree it had nothing to do with movies.

This is about Y: The Last Man.

Oracle posted:

I am a she, and that should probably sum it up. I found it insulting and laughable in turns the ways he thought society would go to complete pot without men, that women would go crazy without them, Mad Max Amazon feminazis, the various stupid/unbelievable ways women would react to such a situation, etc etc.
I don't think this is fair at all and that you were looking to be upset, but whatever. The meandering and preachy bits I can probably understand, but I think you read your expectations into the book real bad here.

Like, maybe the daughters of the Amazon went too far, but in general I thought it was pretty accurate as to what would happen immediately.

edit: I'm also very curious as to why you think "the world going to pot" after all the men died was unrealistic at all. As he discusses, our society is male-dominated (I am not saying that men are better/smarter, just that this is the reality of how our society is built) and we would lose almost every human being from a large number of infrastructure-critical jobs. Hell, things would get very, very bad if we lost 50% of the population from random sampling, but with the way masculinity is socially integrated with a large number of important jobs, losing all males would be a particularly awful.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 11, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

theflyingorc posted:

It was requested that this discussion be taken out of the movie thread, as I agree it had nothing to do with movies.

This is about Y: The Last Man.

I don't think this is fair at all and that you were looking to be upset, but whatever. The meandering and preachy bits I can probably understand, but I think you read your expectations into the book real bad here.

Like, maybe the daughters of the Amazon went too far, but in general I thought it was pretty accurate as to what would happen immediately.

In Zombie movies things do go to poo poo as quickly. It was also not that society went to complete poo poo it was more the fact there was a huge shift in everything, and they had to figure out why. Also I did not find the Amazons that bad since doomsday cults are always around.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Y the Last Man's biggest sin is that the I Am Woman comic that shows up in the story near the end sounds way cooler and more interesting than Y the Last Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

bobkatt013 posted:

In Zombie movies things do go to poo poo as quickly. It was also not that society went to complete poo poo it was more the fact there was a huge shift in everything, and they had to figure out why. Also I did not find the Amazons that bad since doomsday cults are always around.

It's MORE realistic than zombie movies, which is why I find the objection so strange. Society half-crumbles, but the series shows it rebuilding, and various women react in a hell of lot of different ways. If the events of the book happened, a large number of women WOULD become worthlessly despondent or crazy - this is not because women are crazy, but because you're drawing from a sample of 50% of the population. Same thing would happen in reverse.

My one realism problem with the series is that I don't think that Yorick would have missed his opportunity to become Lord of Boning All He Sees. I know there is a storyline that addresses his sexual hang-ups, but I didn't find it's explanation satisfactory.

• Locked thread