Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
So interesting discussion on the new Bant Control lists. Mistcutter is obviously insane out of the sideboard and can just win games out of no where against island playing opponents, even with UW bringing in brimaz. Another really interesting suggestion is to move the deck slightly midrange, but still playing at instant speed. Advent Wurm being a really efficient huge beater that can also gain life with charm backup when that's occasionally needed. Such as hp padding earlier than sphinx comes down against mono black garys I imagine being a great thing, also strong against aggro. Another really interesting card for a 3+ elspeth deck would be beck/call. Fusing it is a possibility or just casting the draw cards side while putting 3+ tokens into play. Turn 7 draw 3+ for 2 mana seems good?

A card that could also be interesting is playing Fleecemane with the mana to protect it and then monster it.

edit: I forgot about the new fated green card that adds two 3/3 centaurs to the battlefield and scry 2 for 5 mana. Maybe this could be a really interesting sideboard for Bant?

Korak fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
What does everyone think about a MonoU devotion list with white splashed (for 3 DSphere's). And making these adjustments to the manabase to support it:

-5 Island
-2 Mutavault (Bringing it down to 2 MV's)

+4 Hallowed Fountian
+3 Temple of Enlightenment

The only issue I could see having is a 2 TOE opening hand where I could screw with my curve but I think there will be more cases where I'm happy to have the spheres.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

mcmagic posted:

What does everyone think about a MonoU devotion list with white splashed (for 3 DSphere's). And making these adjustments to the manabase to support it:

-5 Island
-2 Mutavault (Bringing it down to 2 MV's)

+4 Hallowed Fountian
+3 Temple of Enlightenment

The only issue I could see having is a 2 TOE opening hand where I could screw with my curve but I think there will be more cases where I'm happy to have the spheres.

There was a "Mono"-U deck that did that back in December and made top 16 of some GP, I think.

And this past weekend at the Super Sunday Invitational, there was an Azorius mid-range Ephara deck that rocked a playset of D-spheres and Lyev Skyknights and a few Epharas, Thassas, and Master of Waves.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

AlternateNu posted:

There was a "Mono"-U deck that did that back in December and made top 16 of some GP, I think.

And this past weekend at the Super Sunday Invitational, there was an Azorius mid-range Ephara deck that rocked a playset of D-spheres and Lyev Skyknights and a few Epharas, Thassas, and Master of Waves.

I'm cutting 2 main deck rapid hybridization and 1 domestication for the 3 spheres. Not sure what I would cut for a 4th... There is no creature I would want to really drop to a 3of.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

mcmagic posted:

I'm cutting 2 main deck rapid hybridization and 1 domestication for the 3 spheres. Not sure what I would cut for a 4th... There is no creature I would want to really drop to a 3of.
I'm of the opinion 7 1 drops is plenty, especially if you're making your deck more controlling. Honestly Mono U is probably running too many one drops for its game plan of getting thassa online for inevitability. In terms of topdecking.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Korak posted:

I'm of the opinion 7 1 drops is plenty, especially if you're making your deck more controlling. Honestly Mono U is probably running too many one drops for its game plan of getting thassa online for inevitability. In terms of topdecking.

I won my last FNM by topdecking 2 Cloudfin Raptors and using them to chump block a Boros Reckoner twice when I was at 2 life. Winning! I could see the deck making do with 3 or even 2 Judges' Familiers though...Running 4 DSpheres and bringing back a Rapid Hybridization.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

I have been thinking of making a rakdos mid-range deck using Mogis and Sire of Insanity.
Creatures (8)

3 Sire of Insanity
4 Desecration Demon
1 Stormbreath Dragon

Gods (2)
2 Mogis, God of Slaughter

Spells (25)

3 Underworld Connections
3 Read the Bones
2 Rakdos Return
3 Thoughtseize
3 Anger of the Gods
3 Dreadbore
3 Devour Flash
1 Ratchet Bomb
1 Hero's Downfall
3 Rakdos Keyrune

Land (25)-

4 Temple of Deceit
4 Blood Crypt
10 Mountain
7 Swamp

What do you think? I so want Rakdos, Lord of Riots to work in this deck so bad.

Samael fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 10, 2014

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

mcmagic posted:

I won my last FNM by topdecking 2 Cloudfin Raptors and using them to chump block a Boros Reckoner twice when I was at 2 life. Winning! I could see the deck making do with 3 or even 2 Judges' Familiers though...Running 4 DSpheres and bringing back a Rapid Hybridization.

Judge's familiars are going to be even more important now with Drown in Sorrow around. Holding Drown back til T4 is important!

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Orzhov Control

4 Godless Shrine
4 Mutavault
1 Orzhov Guildgate
2 Plains
10 Swamp
4 Temple of Silence

2 Bile Blight
4 Devour Flesh
1 Duress
2 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
4 Hero's Downfall
4 Thoughtseize
2 Ultimate Price
4 Underworld Connections

4 Blood Baron of Vizkopa
4 Desecration Demon
4 Pack Rat

//Sideboard
SB: 1 Pithing Needle
SB: 3 Duress
SB: 2 Lifebane Zombie
SB: 2 Doom Blade
SB: 2 Sin Collector
SB: 2 Revoke Existence
SB: 2 Drown in Sorrow
SB: 1 Bile Blight

Been playing this since it won the GP at Dallas. This deck is a blast to play, especially against control. Probably going to drop the devour flesh main to 2 and bring in a doom blade and a duress from the side.

My big problem with this deck is I feel like I'm a huge dog vs Gruul Monstrous. I could go up to 3 Lifebanes in the side but it's still tough. So I have a couple questions. Firstly, been toying with dropping 2 pack rats and bringing in 2 Brimaz but honestly the cat hasn't impressed me that much, and pack rat is still an auto "I win" in some matches.

The bigger question is if this deck is honestly worth playing over Mono Black. I like playing Elspeth, and I absolutely love being able to bring in Revoke Existence, but I'm really not sure if giving up the absolute consistency of monoB is worth it.

How is MBD's matchup against GR monstrous? If it's not much better that makes changing to that deck alot less important.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

^^^^^^^^

I find that Mono black has a ton of problems against Monsters decks too. Unless you can board in a ton of removal and see most of it (since you have to use your Hero's downfalls on their plainswalkers.) Thats why I'm going to play U in Somerset.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 10, 2014

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Is Monsters still viable? I've been thinking of pulling the trigger on all those planeswalkers for a while but I wasn't sure if people already had Monsters figured out or not.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

Is Monsters still viable? I've been thinking of pulling the trigger on all those planeswalkers for a while but I wasn't sure if people already had Monsters figured out or not.

It just finished second in a PTQ.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

mcmagic posted:

It just finished second in a PTQ.

Cool. Some of the new BNG green tribute fatties are pretty rad and I was thinking it would probably be even better now because of them.

I'll probably go on a shopping spree this weekend.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

Cool. Some of the new BNG green tribute fatties are pretty rad and I was thinking it would probably be even better now because of them.

I'll probably go on a shopping spree this weekend.

The Courser of Kruphix/Domri combo is pretty good...

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

mcmagic posted:

The Courser of Kruphix/Domri combo is pretty good...

Courser seems like a 1-of though because isn't the point of Monsters to be a combo deck that just fountains fatties into your hand so fast that sweepers don't matter?

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Elephant Ambush posted:

Courser seems like a 1-of though because isn't the point of Monsters to be a combo deck that just fountains fatties into your hand so fast that sweepers don't matter?
Which is why Courser is good in it. Let's you see your top card - if land, into play, if dude, Domri into hand.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

That's more the Gr devotion deck that tries to nykthos into a Garruk and just cast Lead the Stampede every turn after that. Drown in Sorrow is pretty devastating for that deck's viability, sadly.

GR Monsters is more just playing extremely efficient cards and overwhelming your opponent with threat density. Courser fits that definition pretty solidly, and I'm seeing it as a 2-4 of in monsters.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

I think it's the best 3 drop you can use for that deck and that 4 toughness on turn 3 is really good against any aggro deck. I'd think it would be a 4of going forward for any deck that runs Domri's.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 11, 2014

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
OK so that means the deck is 16 mana dorks, 10 planeswalkers, 4 Polly and 3 or 4 Coursers, which is about all you have room for. I was thinking more fatties but what the heck do I know.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

OK so that means the deck is 16 mana dorks, 10 planeswalkers, 4 Polly and 3 or 4 Coursers, which is about all you have room for. I was thinking more fatties but what the heck do I know.

Where are you getting 16 manadorks? All you really need are 4 Caryitids and 4 Mystics to go along with the Coursers. Monsters don't really play Voyaging Satyr.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 11, 2014

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

mcmagic posted:

Where are you getting 16 manadorks? All you really need are 4 Caryitids and 4 Mystics to go along with the Coursers. Monsters don't really play Voyaging Satyr.

Even if it did play some Satyrs, I'm assuming his extra four came from BTEs which are playing in RG devotion, but not RG dinos.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

Uh, 16 dorks? 4 mystics and 4 sylvan caryatids is pretty much bog standard by now.

Here's a pretty regular list from the Super Series yesterday. http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=1184537

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Mikujin posted:

Even if it did play some Satyrs, I'm assuming his extra four came from BTEs which are playing in RG devotion, but not RG dinos.

Mikujin, are you still playing MonoU?

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

mcmagic posted:

Mikujin, are you still playing MonoU?
Indeed I am.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Mikujin posted:

Indeed I am.

Did you make any adjustments from BNG?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Anyone here playing monored? Wondering what the plan is now.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

mcmagic posted:

Did you make any adjustments from BNG?
BNG didn't really give us anything new and exciting. As some folks have mentioned already, it might be worth it to splash some white base in for D. Spheres, since Rapid H just doesn't cut it against stuff like planewalkers, and sometimes you just don't hit Master for a a zillion guys to keep big threats under control. As a plus, it turns some of our main board removal into on-board devotion to help turn Thassa on (or back on, after wipes).

I initially tossed about the idea of playing Fated Infatuation somewhere in there, since it's extra Masters/Nightveils which can be pretty solid, but it's a more expensive replacement for something like Rapid H - which as mentioned I'm already losing favour with.

My board has been updated a bit, though, with the inclusion of stuff like Jace III in the side to help with control matchups. Luckily I haven't seen much MonoB in my meta, so the onset of Drown hasn't been a big deal. Unluckily, I've been paired against the only other MonoU deck in my meta which isn't even fully complete and every set of matches against this kid ends 2-1 his favor since he inevitably draws the perfect answers to all my plays (including a singleton Gainsay to stop me from winning this past FNM). Thoroughly disheartening.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Mikujin posted:

BNG didn't really give us anything new and exciting. As some folks have mentioned already, it might be worth it to splash some white base in for D. Spheres, since Rapid H just doesn't cut it against stuff like planewalkers, and sometimes you just don't hit Master for a a zillion guys to keep big threats under control. As a plus, it turns some of our main board removal into on-board devotion to help turn Thassa on (or back on, after wipes).

I initially tossed about the idea of playing Fated Infatuation somewhere in there, since it's extra Masters/Nightveils which can be pretty solid, but it's a more expensive replacement for something like Rapid H - which as mentioned I'm already losing favour with.

My board has been updated a bit, though, with the inclusion of stuff like Jace III in the side to help with control matchups. Luckily I haven't seen much MonoB in my meta, so the onset of Drown hasn't been a big deal. Unluckily, I've been paired against the only other MonoU deck in my meta which isn't even fully complete and every set of matches against this kid ends 2-1 his favor since he inevitably draws the perfect answers to all my plays (including a singleton Gainsay to stop me from winning this past FNM). Thoroughly disheartening.

Jace 3 is awesome. Such an underrated card. I was the one who brought up the white splash as that's been killing it for me in playtesting and on cockatrice (we'll see more this friday.) It lets you have a nice SB package for blood baron with a bunch of Rapid hybridizations and Cyclonic Rift's. I was thinking of maybe boarding 2 Revoke Existences to deal with Gods and for Bident's and Thassa in the mirror so you don't lose your Thassa to DSphere too.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

A big flaming stink posted:

Orzhov Control

4 Godless Shrine
4 Mutavault
1 Orzhov Guildgate
2 Plains
10 Swamp
4 Temple of Silence

2 Bile Blight
4 Devour Flesh
1 Duress
2 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
4 Hero's Downfall
4 Thoughtseize
2 Ultimate Price
4 Underworld Connections

4 Blood Baron of Vizkopa
4 Desecration Demon
4 Pack Rat

//Sideboard
SB: 1 Pithing Needle
SB: 3 Duress
SB: 2 Lifebane Zombie
SB: 2 Doom Blade
SB: 2 Sin Collector
SB: 2 Revoke Existence
SB: 2 Drown in Sorrow
SB: 1 Bile Blight

Been playing this since it won the GP at Dallas. This deck is a blast to play, especially against control. Probably going to drop the devour flesh main to 2 and bring in a doom blade and a duress from the side.

My big problem with this deck is I feel like I'm a huge dog vs Gruul Monstrous. I could go up to 3 Lifebanes in the side but it's still tough. So I have a couple questions. Firstly, been toying with dropping 2 pack rats and bringing in 2 Brimaz but honestly the cat hasn't impressed me that much, and pack rat is still an auto "I win" in some matches.

The bigger question is if this deck is honestly worth playing over Mono Black. I like playing Elspeth, and I absolutely love being able to bring in Revoke Existence, but I'm really not sure if giving up the absolute consistency of monoB is worth it.

How is MBD's matchup against GR monstrous? If it's not much better that makes changing to that deck alot less important.

I've played a THS standard version of this deck and am not sure about the lone Duress in the main deck. Feel like I'd rather swap in the last Bile Blight from the Side and have the playset of Duress together.

And I disliked having to deal with opposing Blood Barons, since it's easy to find yourself unable to force a sac with Devour Flesh.

I think I might look at BR devotion/control, so I can have Mortars and Slaughter Games.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I've seen people tossing around the idea of replacing rakdos shredfreak with pain seer in rakdos aggro decks, has anyone actually tried it yet? Personally I think pain seer is overrated and I know opinion is split on it. Seems like the whole point of rakdos aggro is to rush in and do damage fast and pain seer not having haste seems like it wouldn't help that much. Just curious if anyone's playtested it yet.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I've seen people tossing around the idea of replacing rakdos shredfreak with pain seer in rakdos aggro decks, has anyone actually tried it yet? Personally I think pain seer is overrated and I know opinion is split on it. Seems like the whole point of rakdos aggro is to rush in and do damage fast and pain seer not having haste seems like it wouldn't help that much. Just curious if anyone's playtested it yet.

Honestly, being a Human without a double mana cost may be enough to warrant inclusion, even if the effect will probably go off a negligible number of times.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

After doing a little tinkering with Maze's End, I think you can make this deck 60 cards, although I do kinda like 61. I decided on putting 2 Kiora mainboard along with 2 Jace, because I needed more card draw to get the Maze and/or find wraths. Kiora is the perfect card to play right after a wrath, because at that point your opponent can usually only put one thing out each turn, and you can alternate fauxfog/exploring. Jace finds you the card you need, along with the Urban Evolutions (Quicken instead of Evolution was cute when you could instant Verdict, but if they are already playing Mutavaults your gameplan should probably switch to a Perimeter win instead with sideboarded Turn/Burn for instant kill.) Alot of these changes are done to combat MBC, because they will probably take your verdicts before you can play them so you need the card draw to find more. Ending up cutting 2 of the 1G fogs, a Negate, and one Merciless Eviction for the planeswalkers. I'll post a decklist later if anyone is interested.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

always be closing posted:

Anyone here playing monored? Wondering what the plan is now.

I'm still playing Rw devotion and I'm not sure I'm changing anything. I picked up 2 Elspeth and 2 fated conflagration to fiddle around with for my sideboard, but pretty much zealot, bte, weird, reckoner, fanatic, dragon is the package.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

AlternateNu posted:

Honestly, being a Human without a double mana cost may be enough to warrant inclusion, even if the effect will probably go off a negligible number of times.

Right and I'd normally agree but shredfreaks double cost can be paid with either of the decks colors so he can always be played, on top of also being a human. I feel like pain seers ability would end up making a somewhat negligible difference and the haste on shredfreak helps push forward the main strategy of the deck. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something or someone has had success in playtesting.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Shred freak always seemed like the most boring card in the deck.
I do enjoy the double black mana sometimes for sneaking zombie tokens in though.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
For all of the UB Faeries testers out there, Sam Black mentioned Blood Artist being pretty good in the deck if y'all want to try it out. Does force you to tap out 2 mana at some point but the upset is really good.

BR Aggro Standard decks, I'd rather have the shred-freak. The deck often kills for exact damage or just 1-2 over and the haste matters.

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008
Could I get opinions and suggestions on my post-BNG G/R monsters build? It's not explicitly final but it's what I've got at the moment. My plans are to make Domri a 3 or 4 of once I get the rest of the play set and maybe swap the courser of kruphix and fanatic of xenagos to two of each when I get more coursers. Other than those things it's pretty much final until people get some real tournament experience with the new cards and more solid netdecks pop up.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rg-current/

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

mcmagic posted:

OK then I guess I don't know what Monsters is. I thought it was something like:

4 Elvish Mystic
4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Voyaging Satyr
4 BTE
4 Nykthos (to combo with Voyaging Satyr)
4 Garruk
3 Domri Rade
2 Xenagos
and a bunch of huge green creatures, 4 of which are Polukranos

Whatever it is that I just listed, I want to play that.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

OK then I guess I don't know what Monsters is. I thought it was something like:

4 Elvish Mystic
4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Voyaging Satyr
4 BTE
4 Nykthos (to combo with Voyaging Satyr)
4 Garruk
3 Domri Rade
2 Xenagos
and a bunch of huge green creatures, 4 of which are Polukranos

Whatever it is that I just listed, I want to play that.

You'd want things like kalonian hydra, arbor colossus, stormbreath dragon, maybe Nylea to give your team trample or a bow to make an attacking polukranos into a death machine.

http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=1172794 is the decklist for RG dinosaurs/devotion that placed top 16 at GP Albuquerque (piloted by a goon, even).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Olothreutes posted:

You'd want things like kalonian hydra, arbor colossus, stormbreath dragon, maybe Nylea to give your team trample or a bow to make an attacking polukranos into a death machine.

http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=1172794 is the decklist for RG dinosaurs/devotion that placed top 16 at GP Albuquerque (piloted by a goon, even).

This is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for posting it.

Wow, only 6 fatties? I guess with the card fountains via planeswalkers that's all you need. You're pretty much guaranteed to draw at least 1 per game.

• Locked thread