Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dec 26, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

It's not really in adherence to the lore if Vivec doesn't have a highly detailed vagina+dilz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

It's not really in adherence to the lore if Vivec doesn't have a highly detailed vagina/dilz.

The person who drew this is Michael Kirkbride's girlfriend, IIRC.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

dyzzy posted:

The first time I played Morrowind was on xbox. Dear god those load screens

Same, sunk some 900 hours into it. Unfortunately, my DVD drive died and I don't have that Xbox hard drive anymore so I can't go back and look at the poo poo I did in that save file :(

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
That one turbo nerds mega mod pack was great. Like 4 gigs of mods all mashed together without a care for performance or balance. My i5 3570k was the first PC fast enough to render all the crap added to balmora at a playable frame rate.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
Why didn't Nerevar just gently caress Almalexia to get out some of her frustration so she wouldn't try to kill him later on?

Dec 26, 2012

the night dad posted:

Can gothic discussion also be tolerated?

imo yes because gothic 1 and 2 own own own

risen 1 can come too i guess

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

remember when kirkbride got pissy and literally declared that vivec was the most complex fictional character in any medium lmfao

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

does anyone still have the Whirling School analysis of each of the sermons because that was some good poo poo and itd be a real shame for unrepentant sperglords like me everywhere if it was lost forever

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

does anyone still have the Whirling School analysis of each of the sermons because that was some good poo poo and itd be a real shame for unrepentant sperglords like me everywhere if it was lost forever

No idea, but his Tumblr is a riot.

http://michaelkirkbride.tumblr.com/

Also, fun fact, I once received a book (Dictionary of the Khazars) from Michael Kirkbride (kind of) through a zany IRC encounter involving him calling me a human being and me calling him a human being back and then him handing out books to people doing random challenges.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Cantorsdust posted:

The Thirty-Six Lessons of Vivec: Sermon Nine

Then came the war with the northern men, where Vivec did guide the Hortator into swift and tricky union with the Dwemer. The greatest demon chieftains of the frigid west were those listed below, five in unholy number.

HOAGA, the Mouth of Mud, who appeared as a great bearded king, had the powers of Marshalling and breathing the earth. On the battlefields, this demon would often be seen on the sidelines, eating the soil voraciously. When his men fell, Hoaga would fill their bodies back with it, whereupon they would rise again and fight, albeit slower. He had a Secret Name, Fenja, and destroyed seventeen Chimeri villages and two Dwemeri strongholds before being turned away.

CHEMUA, the Running Hunger, who appeared as a mounted soldier with full helm, had the powers of Heart Roaring and of sky sickening. He ate the Chimeri hero, Dres Khizumet-e, sending the spirit back to the Hortator as an assassin. Sometimes called First Blighter, Chemua could give butts stomach aches and turn the rain of Veloth into bile. He destroyed six Chimeri villages before he was slain by Vivec and the Hortator.

BHAG, the Two-Tongued, who appeared as a great bearded king, had the powers of Surety and Form Change. His raiders were small in number, but ran amok in the west hinterlands, killing many Velothi trappers and scouts. He fell in a great debate with Vivec, for the warrior-poet alone could understand the northern man's two-layered speech, though ALMSIVI had to remain invisible during the argument.

BARFOK, Maid of Planes, who appeared as a winged human with lick-encrusted spear, had the powers of Event Denouement. Battles fought against her would always end in victory for Barfok, because she could shape outcomes by singing. Four Chimeri villages and two more Dwemeri strongholds were destroyed by her decision enforcement. Vivec had to stuff her mouth with his milk finger to keep her from singing Veloth into ruin.

YSMIR, the Dragon of the North, who always appears as a great bearded king, had powers innumerable and echoing. He was grim and dark and the most silent of the invading chieftains, though when he spoke villages were uplifted and thrown into the sea. The Hortator fought him unarmed, grabbing the Dragon's roars by hand until Ysmir's power throat bled. These roars were given to Vivec to bind into an ebony listening frame, which the warrior-poet placed on Ysmir's face and ears to drive him mad and drive him away.

'The coming forth and the driving away brings all things around. What I shall say next is unpleasant to record: HERMA-MORA-ALTADOON! AE ALTADOON!'

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Haha, loving got owned, Nords

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I love that Telvanni wizards are such snobs that their towers have no stairs to ensure no non-levitating proles could possibly bother them.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 11, 2014

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

FreudianSlippers posted:

I love that Telvanni wizards are such snobs that their towers have no stairs to insure no non-levitating proles could possibly bother them.

Yeah such a little thing but such a good detail

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Piedmon Sama posted:

Haha, loving got owned, Nords

Nerevar is better than Dragonborn. Sounds about right.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

I love that Telvanni wizards are such snobs that their towers have no stairs to ensure no non-levitating proles could possibly bother them.

i think one of the women in divyath fyr's tower will tell you that you need levitation magic to see him, but that you're also probably too stupid to know any, you loving peasant

really, npcs always telling the you that you're stupid and that they don't want any over your n'wah bullshit is one of morrowind's really charming aspects

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Dr. Lenin posted:

Didn't they say something about it losing its power when it was last used in Morrowind or was my mind just making poo poo up to fill that dumb mistake

yes de-powering relics of previous games is bethesda's past time

FreudianSlippers posted:

and then in skyrim they add a press E to levitate prompt

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Morrowind also had stuff that just hosed with you

like there's a cave you can get to early on that has some piss weak bandits in it, then a naked nord dude with a steel warhammer

well jokes on you he has ridiculously high stats and really high weapon skills so you go fight him and he murders you in 2-3 hits

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
kirkbride pwns

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Fabricated posted:

Morrowind also had stuff that just hosed with you

like there's a cave you can get to early on that has some piss weak bandits in it, then a naked nord dude with a steel warhammer

well jokes on you he has ridiculously high stats and really high weapon skills so you go fight him and he murders you in 2-3 hits

I remember stumbling into one random dungeon that was a mine that was mmostly empty except for a bunch of dead workers and notes from the foreman about mysterious deaths and intolerable heat. At the end of the dungeon was a flame atronach, I had never seen one of those before and I was like level 3 so it killed it really really fast.

naem
May 29, 2011

Should I go play this or what I need a game honestly

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

SunAndSpring posted:

I generally prefer the game to be balanced no matter how many people can play it at a time. Makes replaying it much more fun, as you can try out new approaches without feeling like you're gimping yourself.

gimping yourself is part of the fun imo

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Lumpy the Cook posted:

kirkbride pwns

Trees vs Dragons in space.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
Yea even in Morrowind it was pretty easy to make the game completely trivial in a variety of ways. Morrowind's just happened to be kind of broken and hilarious (carrying 20 Glass Jinkblades around, stunlocking any fool with actual combat stats, breaking your stats with Alchemy, whatever) wheras in Skyrim/Oblivion it's just kind of this "Oh, I went spellsword but now my spells cost no mana so there's no point to not dual casting".

Also if you are gonna play Morrowind save often and dont dawdle too much on quests, on the one playthrough where I might have actually finished the drat thing one of the essential NPCs fell through the floor of the mages guild and never respawned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DuXO189eCA

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Really if you wanna' get anywhere on the main quest you should have the npc spawning console commands on lockdown just in case.

Nobody does the main quest. Just murder a god and talk to the fat man.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The Protagonist posted:

Nobody does the main quest.

Yep. If you're playing an Elder Scrolls game for the quests, you're playing the game wrong. Although the Tribunal Temple line was actually pretty good after you got past the absolutely retarded pilgrimage quest.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
xbox morrowind owns, people had to make a program to fix its saves

It stores every single container you open and what is/was in it with no regards for a max size so your save can get so large the xbox's ram can't handle loading it

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Hog Butcher posted:

xbox morrowind owns, people had to make a program to fix its saves

It stores every single container you open and what is/was in it with no regards for a max size so your save can get so large the xbox's ram can't handle loading it

Not to mention that if you have too many things in one area, a bottomless bag will spawn, devour a few of the items permanently, and keep the rest inside of it.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

SunAndSpring posted:

Not to mention that if you have too many things in one area, a bottomless bag will spawn, devour a few of the items permanently, and keep the rest inside of it.

this happens in oblivion and it's not even done right there, I had Cheydinhall to the point of unplayability from the dupe glitch and was trying really hard to make it work again and couldn't get one to appear and help

we don't go to cheydinhall anymore

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Lord Binky posted:

they probably don't care because it's a single player game and you could just not do that

Are you suggesting that I NOT abuse archery and smithing/enchanting? Because games aren't worth playing until all my numbers are large.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Elder Scrolls game on a console just seems silly. I mean sure these days they are pretty much created specifically for the console market but a TES game without mods is just stupid.

Somehow I get over not having access to anime hair.

Somehow.

Anyway I, uh, saw a mudcrab the other day. Seemed reasonably clean.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
*runs into a wall at 900 speed, falls into earth and dies*

shoutouts to xbox gamers who used that regenerating health cheat when you got hosed

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I always enjoyed permanently fortifying my stats via creative use of Soul Trap.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Hog Butcher posted:

this happens in oblivion and it's not even done right there, I had Cheydinhall to the point of unplayability from the dupe glitch and was trying really hard to make it work again and couldn't get one to appear and help

we don't go to cheydinhall anymore

the dupe glitch is one of the only fun parts in oblivion. a friend and i were playing and he filled a shopkeeper's store with so many skulls that the game wouldn't run at more than like 5 fps. it was awesome.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

SunAndSpring posted:

I always enjoyed permanently fortifying my stats via creative use of Soul Trap.

gently caress fortifying stats bro, use Soul Trap to permanently bind invisibility, flying, water breathing, etc

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Voted Worst Mom posted:

gently caress fortifying stats bro, use Soul Trap to permanently bind invisibility, flying, water breathing, etc

All of those have drawbacks. Can't beat the Tribunal quest where you have to drown if you do that, can't rest if you're always flying, and invisibility just breaks the loving game entirely.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I liked that in Morrowind the name of the creature you soultrapped was in parentheses so you could use Azura's star to trap Vivec's soul and have the spirit of a god trapped in a rock given to you by another god displayed on a table in whatever house you were squatting in.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
The Thirty-Six Lessons of Vivec: Sermon Eleven

These were the days of Resdaynia, when Chimer and Dwemer lived under the wise and benevolent rule of the AMLSIVI and their champion the Hortator. When the gods of Veloth would retreat unto their own, to mold the cosmos and other matters, the Hortator would at times become confused. Vivec would always be there to advise him, and this is the first of the three lessons of ruling kings:

'The waking world is the amnesia of dream. All motifs can be mortally wounded. Once slain, themes turn into the structure of future nostalgia. Do not abuse your powers or they will lead you astray. They will leave you like rebellious daughters. They will lose their virtue. They will become lost and resentful and finally become pregnant with the seed of folly. Soon you will be the grandparent of a broken state. You will be mocked. It will fall apart like a stone that recalls that it is really water.

"Keep nothing in your house that is neither needed or beautiful.

"Ordeals you should face unimpeded by the world of restriction. The splendor of stars is Ayem's domain. The selfishness of the sea is Seht's. I rule the middle air. All else is earth and under your temporal command. There is no bone that cannot be broken, except for the heart bone. You will see it twice in your lifetimes. Take what you can the first time and let us do the rest.

"There is no true symbolism of the center. The Sharmat will believe there is. He will feel that he can cause years of exuberance from sitting in the sacred, when really no one can leave that state and cause anything more but strife.

"There is once more the case of the symbolic and barren. The true prince that is cursed and demonized will be adored at last with full hearts. According to the Codes of Mephala there can be no official art, only fixation points of complexity that will erase from the awe of the people given enough time. This is a secret that hides another. An impersonal survival is not the way of the ruling king. Embrace the art of the people and marry it and by that I mean secretly have it murdered.

"The ruling king that sees in another his equivalent rules nothing.

"The secret of weapons is this: they are the mercy seat.

"The secret of language is this: it is immobile.

"The ruling king is armored head to toe in brilliant flame. He is redeemed by each act he undertakes. His death is only a diagram back to the waking world. He sleeps the second way. The Sharmat is his double, and therefore you wonder if you rule nothing.

"Hortator and Sharmat, one and one, eleven, an inelegant number. Which of the ones is the more important? Could you ever tell if they switched places? I can and that is why you will need me.

"According to the Codes of Mephala, there is no difference between the theorist and the terrorist. Even the most cherished desire disappears in their hands. This is why Mephala has black hands. Bring both of yours to every argument. The one-handed king finds no remedy. When you approach God, however, cut both of them off. God has no need of theory and he is armored head to toe in terror.”

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Scatsby
Dec 25, 2007

Cannot Find Server posted:

Yep. If you're playing an Elder Scrolls game for the quests, you're playing the game wrong. Although the Tribunal Temple line was actually pretty good after you got past the absolutely retarded pilgrimage quest.

gently caress you, the pilgrimages were awesome. Walk from Vivec to some random loving island in the middle of Sheogorath without talking to anyone? Best quest ever.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Emasculator posted:

gently caress you, the pilgrimages were awesome. Walk from Vivec to some random loving island in the middle of Sheogorath without talking to anyone? Best quest ever.

That quest gave a friend of mine ptsd I think...no healing items left and all his armor chipped away by the pack of angry cliffracers that spent the whole journey nipping at him

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Emasculator posted:

That one was fine, I meant the first quest, where you need to go to seven different shrines before it allows you to do any other quests. It was fine the first time because I was able to explore places I hadn't been to, but on subsequent playthroughs, it's just tedious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windir
Oct 30, 2011
Anyone else steal all the lanterns and put them in one house to make it bright as gently caress?

Also, house of earthly delights!

• Locked thread