Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD

TouchToneDialing posted:

Im a fan of norseman for every class if you plan on doing rvr. Troll is the best stat option though.

Scrub, Dwarves are the master race. Submit to my mighty body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

TouchToneDialing posted:

Im a fan of norseman for every class if you plan on doing rvr. Troll is the best stat option though.

While I wait for the server to come back up, what stat distribution should I do for Norse or Troll Skald?

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD
Most people go with 10str 10con 10qui but you can ditch the con and get 15 in either str or qui.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Not 10str/con/charisma? Those DDs are your bread and butter.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

I was under the impression that they are just used as interrupts.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Perhaps I'm used to the Minstrel, and Skald 2h damage is where it's at. Do Skalds have Wild Power on Origins? That makes a big difference.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Goonfriend asks: Bonedancer race?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

boho posted:

Goonfriend asks: Bonedancer race?

Troll for fun. Kobbie for serious. Can you be a Dwarf? If so, do that. (Troll supp spec while melee is pretty hilarious)

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

Kazvall posted:

Troll for fun. Kobbie for serious. Can you be a Dwarf? If so, do that. (Troll supp spec while melee is pretty hilarious)
No dwarf BD.

Honestly either race can work, suppression spec is instant cast and AFAIK you don't get more casts over time with higher stats. PVP is really where you need to be competitive and I can't see any other build being as useful as supp in pvp. Though, if you care about stats (even a little) you can pretty easily disqualify valkyn as there's not much of a reason to pick that over kobold, given what stats help the class.

But I could be wrong.

Edit: Forgot about resistances. Valkyn has 5% cold and body which is pretty useful.

Edit2: BIG battle going on now over the alb relic. Albs wanted it back, Hibs swooping in to try and get it now. Good time for some RVR action if you're on, probably will be for a bit yet.

Edit3: Is there a list set up somewhere with a list of who our crafters are? I'm likely to pick one up but don't want to start one we already have covered.

Tom Powers fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Feb 8, 2014

fishhooked
Nov 14, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Nap Ghost
Are spirit masters any good/desired? Really excited to jump back into DAOC, wonder how long it will take them to OK my account.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

fishhooked posted:

Are spirit masters any good/desired? Really excited to jump back into DAOC, wonder how long it will take them to OK my account.
Spirit Master if you go bomb spec (supp) is highly in demand - for bomb groups. Great farming too and I see them posting in LFG occasionally, and I think any group will take one anyway.

For RvR I think you want to go Darkness which isn't really that useful to PvE groups, and everyone hates pet summoning SMs, though they're (I think still) good for solo farming. But focus on a group spec first so you don't take years to get to 50.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Yeah, dark SM is fun. AE mezz, lifetap, and intercepting pet. Works great for open field rvr. For keep defending, supp.

But for leveling, pbae is king, and that means supp sm.

Summoning at the point in the game where this patch is, is probably not very good. Definitely not for rvr

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Tanreall posted:

Troll is the better race for Skalds but either is fine.

False statement, right here.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I just built a new Rig, so I am still closely monitoring the temperatures and other parameters.

Obviously running DAOC doesn't take much from my new computer, BUT I noticed that in the character select screen the temperature of my GPU reaches higher levels than in any "recent/new" game I have loaded in the last few days. I even feel the hot air blowing out of the fan. Weird! Anyone else noticed this?

sinewave
Aug 29, 2005

space face
welp. I've been there now, and can say ESO 3 way pvp is literally daoc rvr.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP

Evernoob posted:

I just built a new Rig, so I am still closely monitoring the temperatures and other parameters.

Obviously running DAOC doesn't take much from my new computer, BUT I noticed that in the character select screen the temperature of my GPU reaches higher levels than in any "recent/new" game I have loaded in the last few days. I even feel the hot air blowing out of the fan. Weird! Anyone else noticed this?

It's because it's pushing out 1500-3000 FPS. Same type of thing happens when people load up Everquest on new GPUs.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Boston got banned.

Cody posted:

Boston has been perma banned for repeated Racist comments and attacks. He has also scammed his own guildmates.

PriNGLeS posted:

It's because it's pushing out 1500-3000 FPS. Same type of thing happens when people load up Everquest on new GPUs.

Is there an configuration option to stop this in the menus?

boho fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 9, 2014

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON

sinewave posted:

welp. I've been there now, and can say ESO 3 way pvp is literally daoc rvr.

That's great news, it's a shame I'm not quite sold on ESO's combat system or classes. They seem so....dull?

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

boho posted:

Boston got banned.

Is there an configuration option to stop this in the menus?

You can force gsync in your graphics options on your card or limit the frame rate.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
For you older daoc people, some devs from warhammer online / daoc got hired by the elder scrolls online, and it shows. They have good siege combat. The pve is rear end though.

I'd go so far to call it daoc 2.

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON

Third World Reggin posted:

For you older daoc people, some devs from warhammer online / daoc got hired by the elder scrolls online, and it shows. They have good siege combat. The pve is rear end though.

I'd go so far to call it daoc 2.

They just had a weekend thing but I think it is still a few months from release, there's no way to actually get into the beta proper right? I was curious about that game.

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

He was on not so long ago saying in trade chat he had TG gear to give away... not sure if he actually did but people questioned how he was still in the game when he was banned.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

SoggyGravy posted:

They just had a weekend thing but I think it is still a few months from release, there's no way to actually get into the beta proper right? I was curious about that game.

Curse was giving out like 10,000 keys and beta lasts until monday night.

I got a bunch of screen shots, and if they stop breaking the pvp zone in stress testing I could stream it.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5fm1lufdd5oqkfo/2ash1MUjgZ

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

SoggyGravy posted:

You can have my weekend beta key. It might transfer to other events afterwards?

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON

Kazvall posted:

You can have my weekend beta key. It might transfer to other events afterwards?

Thanks, someone actually e-mailed me one earlier today. I'm level 5 but it seems rather dull for now since there is no PvP yet and there aren't many options like most early game MMO's. Probably best to not get to attached since this ends Monday.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

See how each side is seperated by 3 what look to be walls?

Those are mile gates. No one can capture, they are pointing one way, and easily defendable.

Each of the resource places around a keep have a tower.

Also there are tents to pop up for mobile spawn points.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
The good? The PVP is heavily inspired by DAoC.

The bad? Pretty much everything else. Not even kidding.

Most important TO THIS THREAD is that every "realm" has identical classes and access to identical gear, the only thing separating them are tiny, almost non-existent, racial bonuses. Like Redguard for instance has a passive ability (doesn't start unlocked you get it at like level 40) to regenerate 1 stamina per tick. Huge, right? Oh wait you have a thousand and attacks take 50-100 and beyond and jewelry quickly gets to the point where it gives 5.

Edit: Also, technically, there are also racial "ultimate" skills but they all seem like garbage.

Tom Powers fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 10, 2014

FknMeh
Dec 9, 2008

How rainbows are made...
Ok so the OP post is dated, how many people are actually playing and what realm? Live or freeshard? I assume freeshard... but who knows...

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Tom Powers posted:

The good? The PVP is heavily inspired by DAoC.

The bad? Pretty much everything else. Not even kidding.

Most important TO THIS THREAD is that every "realm" has identical classes and access to identical gear, the only thing separating them are tiny, almost non-existent, racial bonuses. Like Redguard for instance has a passive ability (doesn't start unlocked you get it at like level 40) to regenerate 1 stamina per tick. Huge, right? Oh wait you have a thousand and attacks take 50-100 and beyond and jewelry quickly gets to the point where it gives 5.

Edit: Also, technically, there are also racial "ultimate" skills but they all seem like garbage.

So... Guild Wars 2?

This weekend has been miserable for trying to level 40+ on Genesis. The horrible lag frequently broke respawns, and without Standard XP Camp A or Standard XP Camp B to mindlessly grind, pubbie brains went haywire. Every ten minutes some scrub would have to point out that the XP sucked (no poo poo, the server isn't respawning mobs) and how Place X in Y zone is so much better and worth the walk. At this point half the group takes off and the other half either drop, log, or try to catch up. When we get to Place X it's empty because the server isn't spawning mobs, so the guy says WELL I MEAN THIS PLACE IS THE BEST WHY ISN'T IT WORKING??? Then we kill some wandering trash and the process repeats itself.

Also, pubbies refuse to do anything for 40+ XP outside of Frontiers. Yes, the silly XP bonuses make them the fastest places. But getting ganked kills a group because half the players ragequit/snap out of the grind trance and realize, gently caress, this is utterly miserable. There's DF too but it's unpredictable when you'll have that and you can't spam for replacements easily, and pubbies love to try to sprint straight through mobs to get to your group, wiping it, and causing 6/8 members to suddenly need to go to bed or pay attention to their wife or something.

I don't know if this is playable on the weekends. If I hadn't written an AHK script to spam login I would have said gently caress it since that alone is a 20-30 minute process of load/exit/load/exit/load/exit until you win the lottery and can log in.

Dogo
Sep 24, 2007

boho posted:

If I hadn't written an AHK script to spam login I would have said gently caress it since that alone is a 20-30 minute process of load/exit/load/exit/load/exit until you win the lottery and can log in.

Not sure if you are using Mojo to launch the game, but it makes it much faster. It can still take a bunch of tries, and has taken me up to 10-12 minutes or so at peak times to get in, but that was the longest I have experienced. For anyone who missed it a page or two back details how to use it.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Not sure if you elder scrolls guys understand, but the absolute least fun aspect of daoc RvR was sieging keeps. Hope this helps.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD

PriNGLeS posted:

Not sure if you elder scrolls guys understand, but the absolute least fun aspect of daoc RvR was sieging keeps. Hope this helps.

You just don't understand the game of doors.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

The thread has been quiet for a day now. Has the excitement faded? Or are the servers stable enough to actually play instead of bitching about not being able to play?

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD
People are just playing. We still need to get a time down to run 8 mans but we've been doing stuff.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I'm waiting to catch the guys from the guild I helped start so I can talk to them before I leave it. They've been cool and I feel bad just leaving without a word. When I do I'll be getting my runemaster into the goon guild, he's 42 currently.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I need some inspiration about what to try playing. No doubt about it, I am a terrible player; While playing melee I get tunnel vision and over extend, I can't stand the pressure of playing a pac healer and having to drive, mez and heal, and I am bad at kiting. That said I don't want to play a class that nobody wants in a group. Maybe I can get better with practice, but I kind of feel like a pubbie for life.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 11, 2014

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD
Easy way to play damage is just stick to the MA and attack what he attacks. It's not perfect but you'll be helpful.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Tanreall posted:

Easy way to play damage is just stick to the MA and attack what he attacks. It's not perfect but you'll be helpful.

Yeah especially as a zerk or savage, just join in on the tank train. A warrior can too but sometimes you're responsible for guarding/peeling for a healer.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I can give melee dps a try. I have usually played a heavy tank when going melee and had a hard time judging when to guard/peel and when to jump on the dps train.

Is the population here chill enough to be fine with me not choosing troll for the extra strength?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I've been in whole groups where every single person is kobold. I honestly haven't seen many trolls around at all.

Also keep in mind no ToA on this server, so no bodyguard ability, so you aren't reduced to just that as a shield tank.

• Locked thread