Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Balon posted:

The best Goblin Deck Commander is Purphoros.

http://deckstats.net/decks/3554/64920-purphoros-commander

This looks pretty cool actually. Needs a blood moon though. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Just thought of an interesting card, and I was wondering, what do you think an effect like this could be costed at?

quote:

Curse of Shrinkage
Enchantment -- Aura Curse
Enchant Player
Whenever a creature enchanted player controls attacks, put a -1/-1 counter on that creature.
I'd make it rare and put it at something like 3BB

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Bonus posted:

Just thought of an interesting card, and I was wondering, what do you think an effect like this could be costed at?

Feels like there are cards kind of similar to this? BB to see possible competitive play, realistically if Wizards is making it 2BB.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Korak posted:

Feels like there are cards kind of similar to this? BB to see possible competitive play, realistically if Wizards is making it 2BB.

Seems disgustingly powerful at that cheap. Single-handedly making creature-based aggro unplayable.

At the very least it'd have to be symmetrical to make it that cheap.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Jabor posted:

Seems disgustingly powerful at that cheap. Single-handedly making creature-based aggro unplayable.

At the very least it'd have to be symmetrical to make it that cheap.
In a game with 4 mana boardwipes, 3 mana pseudo-boardwipes, and 2 mana kill spells... Eh? Maybe make it "until end of turn"?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Korak posted:

In a game with 4 mana boardwipes, 3 mana pseudo-boardwipes, and 2 mana kill spells... Eh? Maybe make it "until end of turn"?

A non-symmetrical version of this that can never go higher than -1/-1 was printed and playable at 3BB.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Bonus posted:

You missed a crucial part.

quote:

Curse of Shrinkage
Enchantment -- Aura Curse
Enchant Player
Whenever a creature enchanted player controls attacks, put a -1/-1 counter on that creature.
I was in the pool!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Literally The Worst posted:

Shut up about commanders, I just hit 10 complete EDH decks and I'm trying to stop. Don't make me want Xenagod, don't do it.

edit: For the record, my current tally is:

Krenko
Talrand
Mirko Vosk
Sliver Overlord
Mimeoplasm
Melek
Varolz
Prossh precon
Marath precon
And of course, my baby, Omnath

10? I thought I was bad trying make #s 3 and 4, neither of which I will probably play-
Crosis
Captain Sisay
Oros (WIP)
Budgety Momir (WIP, maybe becoming mono-green with Yeva?)

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 11, 2014

oryx
Nov 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Oh man, reddit surfaced the most obvious cheat ever caught on a FLG's twitch stream: http://www.twitch.tv/themeadery/b/502411769

Starts at minute 49:00 when the right-hand player starts resolving primal command. So obvious it's just mind boggling.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

oryx posted:

Oh man, reddit surfaced the most obvious cheat ever caught on a FLG's twitch stream: http://www.twitch.tv/themeadery/b/502411769

Starts at minute 49:00 when the right-hand player starts resolving primal command. So obvious it's just mind boggling.

Hahahaha that is some scuzzy-rear end poo poo.

e: for those trying to figure it out: The Primal Command guy looks at the top few cards of his library after doing shuffles, rearranges them, puts it back without presenting to opponent, then draws Nykthos (he's playing devotion) the next turn.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Now everyone on the Internet has visual proof, not to mention his first and last name and what store he plays at.

Wouldn't wanna be him. :getin:

vvv haha if that's true it's even better.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
D&T guy played two lands that same turn. Cheats all around!

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
I thought the whole point of the meadery was practice amongst friends. Why cheat if it's practice for the real thing?

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

oryx posted:

This is comically bad cheating. Like, the casual thumbing through the top few cards could be straight out of some walk the planes skit with Holt or whoever making exaggerated HMMMMM's and doing other various dead giveaways.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

The MonoG devotion player cheats like crazy in that match, holy poo poo. 47:55 he grabs his library and checks the top card real fast while his opponent is doing something else, then the stacking during the shuffle off primal command. And that's in less than two minutes time.

And yes, the D&T player replays his hideaway land and a plains the next turn.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

oryx posted:

Even funnier is that Mattias hunt was playtesting with that guy a while earlier, and Hunt did it too to topdeck a D-SPhere. Let me see if I can find the footage.

E: this video, about 35 mins in: http://www.twitch.tv/themeadery/c/3681340

Oldsrocket_27 fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Feb 11, 2014

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

End of Life Guy posted:

I thought the whole point of the meadery was practice amongst friends. Why cheat if it's practice for the real thing?
You practice cheating so that you're proficient WHEN it's the real thing.

e: I'm still surprised that others are surprised that wizards cheat at poker.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
What a bunch of shameless dickheads, lol

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
Quick rules question.

I have a Satyr Firedancer and my Opponent has a Voice of Resurgence. During my main phase I cast Searing Blood, targeting the Voice. My understanding of the rules leads me to believe the following will happen.

1) Searing Blood resolves and deals 2 damage to the Voice

2) State based actions are checked and the Voice dies, triggering both the Voice and the Searing Blood. Since I am the active player, my trigger goes on the stack first, followed by the Voice.

3) Elemental token from the Voice trigger enters the battlefield.

4) Searing Blood deals 3 damage to my opponent, which triggers Satyr Firedancer.

5) Satyr Firedancer's trigger does 3 damage to the Voice token.

Is this correct? I'm still really iffy when it comes to simultaneous triggers and state based actions.

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
that all should work. The fact that the controller was damamged after the elemental is in play does mean you can hit it with the firedancer

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

That doesn't work. You need to choose a target for the Firedancer trigger when it goes on the stack, and the token doesn't exist yet at that point (as you indicated, they both go on the stack at the same time).

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Procrastinator posted:

That doesn't work. You need to choose a target for the Firedancer trigger when it goes on the stack, and the token doesn't exist yet at that point (as you indicated, they both go on the stack at the same time).

It does work with Searing Blood - but it wouldn't work with, for example, Chandra's Outrage.

The critical bit is that Searing Blood doesn't deal damage to the controller immediately - it sets up a delayed triggered ability that triggers when the creature dies. If you play Searing Blood during your turn, then by the time the delayed triggered ability resolves and deals damage to the player, Voice's on-death trigger has already resolved and put the token into play. Then the Firedancer triggers when the delayed triggered ability deals damage to the player, and you can select the token as a target.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Whoop, you're right, thought it worked like Searing Blaze for obvious reasons.

planedriver
Jun 2, 2013
I'll be visiting New York and Montreal for the first time next month and was wondering where should I go to play? I've dismantled all of my standard decks and in the process of building splinter twin and affinity (hopefully get it finished there) so more modern-oriented stores would be great.

Also, not sure if this is the right place to ask; I've been offered 2 Mox Opals (one foil) for my Karn Liberated, 4 x Birthing Pod and $35. Should I take this deal? RG tron feels weaker with the new ban/unbans and I doubt I'll be dropping money on a birthing pod deck anytime soon...

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

planedriver posted:

I'll be visiting New York and Montreal for the first time next month and was wondering where should I go to play? I've dismantled all of my standard decks and in the process of building splinter twin and affinity (hopefully get it finished there) so more modern-oriented stores would be great.

Also, not sure if this is the right place to ask; I've been offered 2 Mox Opals (one foil) for my Karn Liberated, 4 x Birthing Pod and $35. Should I take this deal? RG tron feels weaker with the new ban/unbans and I doubt I'll be dropping money on a birthing pod deck anytime soon...

I'd take it, seems pretty good. Especially for Affinity, which is cheap sans the Opals and Ravagers.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

oryx posted:

How wouldn't you catch that? And why wouldn't you shuffle/cut someone's deck when they finish?

DurdleDuck
Jul 17, 2013

planedriver posted:

I've never been to Montreal, but in NY I'd go to Montasy Comics on 5th ave, between 38th and 39th st (it's a bit tricky to find as it's above a different store, GNC iirc). They do Modern at least once a week, and have some Magic event just about every day.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
The Primal Command video is ridiculous. He sets everything up and then even after all of that checks it like two or three times very obviously.

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Even funnier is that Mattias hunt was playtesting with that guy a while earlier, and Hunt did it too to topdeck a D-SPhere. Let me see if I can find the footage.

I was watching that stream at the time and a bunch of people called him out on it in the chat (he responds to one person at 37). Watching the recording it was even more obvious, especially watching his shuffling and how he peeks down each time to make sure that the Detention Sphere is at the top. That being said the play testing was extremely casual - I think it was later in the video they were deciding to keep a hand after doing a quick peek at the top card / cards on the deck.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Korak posted:

Curse of Death's Hold is 3BB and your card is arguably better.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Anyone playing in Somerset this weekend?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

I was going to but decided against it because I am doing Valentine's Day related things and forgot to take off of work for that weekend anyway :suicide:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Count Bleck posted:

I was going to but decided against it because I am doing Valentine's Day related things and forgot to take off of work for that weekend anyway :suicide:

Sucks. I'm "lucky" in that my GF works ridiculous hours and is working all weekend haha.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Watched that night and they were doing extremely casual(and sloppy) play testing. He's never been accused in a professional setting and has been on cam plenty. Also if he is cheating at events its not showing in his finishes.

End of Life Guy posted:

Pros often do this in testing. Right now testing for modern in spain they'll set up nut draw hands and all sorts of scenarios to see if you can beat it.

AgentAO
May 31, 2011

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

What's great about this one is at the exact same time that Hunt is cheating D-sphere to the top, his opponent puts the revealed cards from Wayfinder on the bottom of his library. Everyone's cheating!

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
http://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/1xlq8v/is_matthias_hunt_of_scg_cheating_at_the_35_minute/cfcllrk

Mattias explains here that they are playtesting and wanted to keep the game going to learn the match-up better. Not sure how useful testing is under not-real circumstances, but seems fine.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Terrible Horse posted:

http://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/1xlq8v/is_matthias_hunt_of_scg_cheating_at_the_35_minute/cfcllrk

Mattias explains here that they are playtesting and wanted to keep the game going to learn the match-up better. Not sure how useful testing is under not-real circumstances, but seems fine.

Then why did he look at the top card of his deck so considerately before he flipped it over? He knew drat well what it was, and it's not like he said out-loud, "I'm gonna dig for a D-sphere because I want to keep practicing".

Also, cheating to practice against nut draws has to be statistically insignificant, right? I mean, the number of possible opening hands is huge, and I'm sure the odds of having your best opening against someone else's best opening aren't worth preparing for.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

End of Life Guy posted:

Then why did he look at the top card of his deck so considerately before he flipped it over. He knew drat well what it was, and it's not like he said out-loud, "I'm gonna dig for a D-sphere because I want to keep practicing".

Also, cheating to practice against nut draws has to be statistically insignificant, right? I mean, the number of possible opening hands is huge, and I'm sure the odds of having your best opening against someone else's best opening aren't worth preparing for.

I don't think it's that insignificant. Decks are generally consistent, and I doubt it's incredibly rare to have an opening hand (in mono-Black Devotion for example) that's 3 lands, Thoughtseize, Rat, and another two cards. I gather it's less optimal hands and more specific stuff. Like "Turn 2 Rat, you don't have D-Sphere", and playing that scenario a few times?

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

End of Life Guy posted:

Then why did he look at the top card of his deck so considerately before he flipped it over? He knew drat well what it was, and it's not like he said out-loud, "I'm gonna dig for a D-sphere because I want to keep practicing".

If thats the case why be secret about it? Just take the card out, set it aside, shuffle and then put it on top. Why try to be sneaky about it?

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

End of Life Guy posted:

Assuming you're able to actually keep the probabilities straight and realize that you "did lose" it definitely makes sense to want to try these things out. It's not really useful overall to play out a nut draw or one player stalling out if you're just trying to see how the deck plays. Yeah, if you're playing an aggro deck then you can't say "I stalled out but what if I had drawn two lands right there" because that's not statistically likely, but if you're running a deck with 24 lands and you don't draw one in 5-6 turns then it makes sense to just grab one as it's just going to be a bad draw and not necessarily a deck construction problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

I'm thinking about it but I haven't tuned my U/W list and would at least want to get Archangels and temples before going. It's only like an hour away for me but :effort:.

• Locked thread