Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I've had a Gibson SG for about 6 years now and somehow the neck hasn't snapped off once. Hell I even took the guitar to Spain and back, but as carry on luggage. But then again it's a limited edition goth model with emgs in it and all that stuff so maybe it's not the usual Gibson half assed QA. Who knows man, but I love that guitar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Harry in Rio posted:

The Epiphone SG Pro sounds great. You can split coils, it's light and I recorded with one. I own a few Gibsons. That Epi right now is working harder than a loving whore on nickel night. Perfect frets, great intonation, I can beat the poo poo out of it. Stays in tune.

So yeah, as a guy who owns a few Gibby SG's, I have to say, you're paying for a fuckin' name. Good luck with that. And if you get name shamed, then you probably suck anyway and should take up autoharp or worse, djent.

I have to agree on the "paying for a name" part. Squier's higher end lines (Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe) have nothing but glowing reviews and a lot of people say the CV series is just as high (or even better) quality as MIM Fenders.

China has a stigma for making cheap poo poo, but that's just because most companies that ship production over there pay the bare minimum and get lovely products in return. It turns out that if a company implements some quality control and pays a little extra, they get higher quality products. (Go figure :rolleyes:) China (and the Pacific Islands) can make some awesome stuff as long as you steer away from bottom-of-the-barrel sweatshops.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Spanish Manlove posted:

I've had a Gibson SG for about 6 years now and somehow the neck hasn't snapped off once. Hell I even took the guitar to Spain and back, but as carry on luggage. But then again it's a limited edition goth model with emgs in it and all that stuff so maybe it's not the usual Gibson half assed QA. Who knows man, but I love that guitar.

I honest-to-god don't think Gibson have any quality control, I've seen fret edges sharp enough to cut myself, cracked necks heels, excess glue oozing out of neck pockets, dings in fretboards repaired with what looked like PVA glue, all on new instruments.

In all fairness I've seen some pretty nice ones too, there is just gently caress all consistency. Some of the limited editions also fix the balance problems and have slightly thicker necks with a reduced headstock angle so they don't snap when you fart next to them, weirdly the better models always have 24 frets, maybe they are made by a different team or whatever.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Zonekeeper posted:

I have to agree on the "paying for a name" part. Squier's higher end lines (Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe) have nothing but glowing reviews and a lot of people say the CV series is just as high (or even better) quality as MIM Fenders.

China has a stigma for making cheap poo poo, but that's just because most companies that ship production over there pay the bare minimum and get lovely products in return. It turns out that if a company implements some quality control and pays a little extra, they get higher quality products. (Go figure :rolleyes:) China (and the Pacific Islands) can make some awesome stuff as long as you steer away from bottom-of-the-barrel sweatshops.

Seconding, I've played several VMs and CVs, and owned the VM jaguar for a while. The Fender-branded Modern Player line is out of the same factory.

They're awesome little machines. The next worthy upgrade in the fender line is the more expensive MIM, at ~700 or so

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

White Dog Eggs posted:

I honest-to-god don't think Gibson have any quality control, I've seen fret edges sharp enough to cut myself, cracked necks heels, excess glue oozing out of neck pockets, dings in fretboards repaired with what looked like PVA glue, all on new instruments.

In all fairness I've seen some pretty nice ones too, there is just gently caress all consistency. Some of the limited editions also fix the balance problems and have slightly thicker necks with a reduced headstock angle so they don't snap when you fart next to them, weirdly the better models always have 24 frets, maybe they are made by a different team or whatever.

I've had a LP special for about a year and its pretty nice, but I wouldn't have paid anywhere near full price for the thing. Shop had three of the things and two of them were pretty awful like you're describing though.

skudmunky
Apr 28, 2010

White Dog Eggs posted:

True, but there is craft involved in that. There is fck all craft in a pickup, unless you count soldering.

Go wind some pickups and let me know if you still think that. You ever have to deal with 42 gauge wire?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I have a VM Jag (same bridge as VM Jazzy) and a Mascis JM, I'd say for a first guitar the Mascis is a better choice. The VM Jag is now terrific but I had to gently caress around with the bridge a lot (wrapping posts, clipping low E screw, loctite, file) before I was happy with it.

Mascis JM is a worse Jazzmaster (technically p90-not-Jazzmaster pickups, tune o'matic bridge, wrong term placement) but a better guitar if you don't want to gently caress with your guitars. Also, I like the neck better than the VM one I tried. The trem placement is the only one of these that really bothers me, since I'm a SY fan, and think I'll end up with a correctly-spec'ed JM at some point, but there's no hurry.

On the subject of Gibsons, My 60's Tribute (24-fret) SG is a terrific guitar, fit, finish, setup, frets, everything were dead on out of the box, and the price was reasonable - $650 with a min-e-tune during the clearance sale. I wouldn't have paid full price though! It does neck dive though, since the neck is chunky and doesn't feel as fragile as oldschool SG necks. This sturdiness comes at a cost though, it isn't the incredibly light, resonant (mustang-like) SG, it's more like an LP or Jag.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Zonekeeper posted:

China (and the Pacific Islands) can make some awesome stuff as long as you steer away from bottom-of-the-barrel sweatshops.
A CNC machine doesn't care what country it's in.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Remulak posted:

I have a VM Jag (same bridge as VM Jazzy) and a Mascis JM, I'd say for a first guitar the Mascis is a better choice. The VM Jag is now terrific but I had to gently caress around with the bridge a lot (wrapping posts, clipping low E screw, loctite, file) before I was happy with it.

That's more an issue with the bridge design (which is vintage correct for the most part) than with the actual quality of the guitar. The original design jag/jazz bridge is one of the most hated pieces of guitar hardware ever produced.

Remulak posted:

True, but most of the quality issues with foreign guitars come in the form of fit and finish issues - poorly glued necks, bad fretwork, poor soldering, lovely hardware, etc. Pretty much any guitar body you get is going to be good quality regardless of where it's made since the switch to CNC machines.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

skudmunky posted:

Go wind some pickups and let me know if you still think that. You ever have to deal with 42 gauge wire?

As I said, I wind my own pickups, so yea. Once you know the right tension, it's fine, maybe the soldering is slightly fiddly, but it's far from impossible. Most of the OEM stuff is fully automated too, press button, whizz, done.

My pickup winding machine is made from an old drill with a magnet on the chuck hooked up to a calculator with a reed switch to count the revolutions all mounted to a block of wood with some guide/tensioner arms made out of bent coat-hangers. You calculate the amount of turns needed to get the required resistance, stand there and count, not something I'd count as craft, but I guess that's subjective.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Zonekeeper posted:

True, but most of the quality issues with foreign guitars come in the form of fit and finish issues - poorly glued necks, bad fretwork, poor soldering, lovely hardware, etc. Pretty much any guitar body you get is going to be good quality regardless of where it's made since the switch to CNC machines.

They don't check for knots around the neck routs, which is why you sometimes see them with cracked necks (avoid a guitar like this unless you want to strip it or use it as wall-art) I've seen some sloppy fitting neck pockets too. You just have to shop around a bit really. You just have to look at a few to find a decent example sometimes.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Remulak posted:

the guy punching in the cut dimensions and lining up the wood blanks may or may not be competent though

even the cheapest mass market stuff still has a lot of hands-on work involved

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImMbdFuHNlI

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Goddamn that guy is awesome

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

comes along bort posted:

the guy punching in the cut dimensions and lining up the wood blanks may or may not be competent though

even the cheapest mass market stuff still has a lot of hands-on work involved

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImMbdFuHNlI

The end of that video has like a wall of shame for ugly guitars. BUTTERFLY GUITAR!

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Ok ok ok.

I asked this thread once but Ima do it again because you guys had good hardware suggestions.

I'm refinishing this Tele. It's from my Pyschobilly phase and its a powder blue tele with a portrait of zombie Bettie Page on the back.

Yes seriously.

Anyways a friend tried a half assed refinish job so right now it has sort of the remnants of Bettie page on the back and a very spotty finish.

What color/style/etc should I go for if I want to make an rear end kickin' tacky guitar. I might donate it to my old school when it's done, so teenage metalheads and indie kids will be jamming on it (take this into consideration). I have access to fairly technical painting supplies because I paint manbarbie warhammer figures for a living.

I was thinking either a weathered metal with blood splatters or maybe sparkle pink.

Speaking of Gibson copies that are actually good: the Daisy Rock Candy. It's an extremely basic but really well built short scale LP clone. It's very punk rock with its single pickup, single knob setup. Unlike other Daisy Rock stuff it is not First Act level trash (see: their bass guitars) and you can score them on CL for like 75 bucks sometimes.

Gibsons build quality is so bad that when I started work on my recent project (it's a guitar from an ANIME that I want for hangin on walls) I chose to go with an Agile archtop LP because all the reviews said they had the same sound and better build quality for a cheaper price.

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 11, 2014

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Ok ok ok.

I asked this thread once but Ima do it again because you guys had good hardware suggestions.

I'm refinishing this Tele. It's from my Pyschobilly phase and its a powder blue tele with a portrait of zombie Bettie Page on the back.

Yes seriously.

Anyways a friend tried a half assed refinish job so right now it has sort of the remnants of Bettie page on the back and a very spotty finish.

What color/style/etc should I go for if I want to make an rear end kickin' tacky guitar. I might donate it to my old school when it's done, so teenage metalheads and indie kids will be jamming on it (take this into consideration). I have access to fairly technical painting supplies because I paint manbarbie warhammer figures for a living.

I was thinking either a weathered metal with blood splatters or maybe sparkle pink.

Speaking of Gibson copies that are actually good: the Daisy Rock debutante. It's an extremely basic but really well built short scale LP clone. It's very punk rock with its single pickup, single knob setup. Unlike other Daisy Rock stuff it is not First Act level trash (see: their bass guitars) and you can score them on CL for like 75 bucks sometimes.

Gibsons build quality is so bad that when I started work on my recent project (it's a guitar from an ANIME that I want for hangin on walls) I chose to go with an Agile archtop LP because all the reviews said they had the same sound and better build quality for a cheaper price.

Get some vile sparkly wrapping paper and some spray adhesive and a can of spray-on finish. Cheap, easy and sleazy.

e: Just make sure to use good quality wrapping paper otherwise you'll have fun with wrinkles, that or use wallpaper.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

White Dog Eggs posted:

Get some vile sparkly wrapping paper and some spray adhesive and a can of spray-on finish. Cheap, easy and sleazy.

e: Just make sure to use good quality wrapping paper otherwise you'll have fun with wrinkles, that or use wallpaper.

I have a can of this stuff called Glitter Blast thats used to do wall decals and stuff for kids rooms. It's basically sticky sparkles in a can.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

In high school I somehow acquired a les paul that had been "refinished" in elmer's and silver glitter. No lacquer or finish or whatever... just millions of now-sharpened-by-glue glitter blades. I only played it once... with my band at some backyard party because I thought it looked dumb-cool. Nary a knuckle was spared that night. Might as well have played a cheese grater.

Rob Ford
Aug 12, 2013

by XyloJW

I have a can of this stuff called Glitter Blast thats used to do wall decals and stuff for kids rooms. It's basically sticky sparkles in a can.

Glue some macaroni to the front of the body first.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Rob Ford posted:

Glue some macaroni to the front of the body first.

and a pine cone

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Giant googly eyes on the head stock in lieu of a logo.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
wait are we giving white dog eggs more requests for the goontar?

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Local CraigsList is really a neverending font of content for this thread.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Cobalt60 posted:

It took me a bit to realize the guitar on the left is a Joker guitar. I thought it was just a guitar that someone themed after the 80s.

"Here's my 'Batman Guitar' and what I like to call 'The 80s Guitar'"

Jivesauce
Nov 22, 2007

Harry in Rio posted:

The Epiphone SG Pro sounds great. You can split coils, it's light and I recorded with one. I own a few Gibsons. That Epi right now is working harder than a loving whore on nickel night. Perfect frets, great intonation, I can beat the poo poo out of it. Stays in tune.

So yeah, as a guy who owns a few Gibby SG's, I have to say, you're paying for a fuckin' name. Good luck with that. And if you get name shamed, then you probably suck anyway and should take up autoharp or worse, djent.

I have one of these also, as well as an Epiphone Les Paul. They're both really nice at a quarter of the price or less of the Gibson equivalent. The Les Paul even came with Gibson '57 Classic pickups; I can't imagine why I would ever buy an actual Gibson.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Jivesauce posted:

I have one of these also, as well as an Epiphone Les Paul. They're both really nice at a quarter of the price or less of the Gibson equivalent. The Les Paul even came with Gibson '57 Classic pickups; I can't imagine why I would ever buy an actual Gibson.

Epiphone and Squier have been on their games for quite a few years now.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

What color/style/etc should I go for if I want to make an rear end kickin' tacky guitar.

Do the dip thing where you float swirly paint on water.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Cobalt60 posted:

Joker just wants a hug!

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Do it!

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Managed to get close to Faustus territory with these. Close.

http://www.haloguitars.com/store/custom-guitars.html

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
What do you guys think about a thread title change to "Post dumb guitar poo poo [56k plays bass]" or does anyone else have a funnier idea?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Spanish Manlove posted:

What do you guys think about a thread title change to "Post dumb guitar poo poo [56k plays bass]" or does anyone else have a funnier idea?

guitar thread: weedly weedly weedly wee [56k and faustus no]

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
only ugly guitar nerds itt

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Dewgy posted:

only ugly guitar nerds itt

but then where will i post

also

quote:

Daggers,

I'm RICKY The DRAGON, and I'm offering a once in a lifetime opportunity; the chance to join me on a 2015 World Tour. North America, Japan, Madagascar Europe, Booze Cruises, Brazil, Australia....you name it, I've probably got something lined up or already booked & confirmed. Balls to the walls METAL, brotha. This poo poo will be epic, like when the Vikings pillaged the highlands, and torched the villages of the shire. This Tour will be awesome...screaming fans in every city, await the arrival of Ricky the Dragon. Metal Mayhem Complete with midget tossing, bottle poking, pantie sniffing, limousine riding, going down Space Mountain like Ric Flair type poo poo. The metal messiah, Ricky the Dragon, will bring the pieces of Pangea back together! The world will reunite through his Metal!

Ricky the Dragon is the best AX greasing Metal machinist alive today. I am the Ultimate Shredder that could have taken those ninja turtles out in less than a minute. Master splinter can suck deez nuts. <~~
••••Without Question, I am the CHOSEN ONE. Ain't no 40 years in the desert bullshit, or FBI burning down our Waco pad, shenanigans, going down with ya boy, RICKY***** 5 Star, Mofos....,drat Right! My skills are plentiful like nutsacks and sausages at a high school party. Ain't nobody like me, homie. I'll beat any hee haw cotton picking Chinese food eating, scalawag that thinks he can defeat the Reigning Champion. I am the Wizard of the Shred, the 6 string master, and the leader of the 7 kingdoms. I am Ricky the Dragon.

Ricky's Bio
I was born in a foreign desert land, raised by coyotes and buzzards, until I reached my early teenage years. Then, I ventured on the most ultimate quest of discovery and understanding. I've been isolated in the tundra of the ice lands, and also immersed in the urban landscapes of Babylon. During this voyage, I was blessed by the divine mystics of the underworld, and granted the vision to become the voice of the future. The gift to play guitar like no one else, is one of the many tremendous abilities that I have earned in my 25 years on planet Earth. Yet, I think my guitar playing is the best mechanism for me to connect with the people. I am the best guitar player in the universe, and deemed by the God's of planetary alignment to lead a Revolution of metal enlightenment. I have only strengths. My notes bang like a shack door...My solos soar like a Pterodactyl, And my scales will become legendary like King Soloman's Temple. I am the enchanted path....the Temple of the Dragon will rise!

"Ricky Rules like a Chinese Buffet"
- Guitar Shooter
"Ricky's Flames are burning Bright like Detroit around Halloween"
- LA TIME
"Ricky O Ricky...ohhh, Ricky"
- Hot metal girl

Just so we are clear, little dragons, I am the Zeus of this enterprise. I am the income. I am the product. That said, I'm chill like Mrs. Brady's 70s bush, and I don't think there will be conflicts that we can't resolve. Cause Metal Rules, and everything and everyone else...can join the unicorns down in "shoulda thought bout poo poo before chasing glorious rainbows and getting my wings clipped by comets & asteroids " ~ Quote the Dragon.

So, where ya at headbanger freaks, speed demons, cotton mouth Stone Agers, Power Violence hipsters, Doomsday preps, wanna be hardcore locos, burn ya at the stake Metal Heads? I need a REAL Drummer like kill em's Lars or the dude from Deicide. I need a real bass player like cliff...Not the Indian dude or Jason the Toolbag. You gotta be able to keep up with Ricky's wicked tunes...can you shred with the chosen one? And, Ricky's got the vocals covered like your grandma's old beat up pull out sofa bed. I can sing high like the sirens of the Greek isles, and low like your wife's discreet affair. Also, I DO NOT need a Rhythm guitar player...cause Ricky's pinky, on a cold morning, can shred better than any of you wanna be Cheetos. But, you can still be "little Dragons at heart" you can still try to be a roadie for Ricky's Fire Breathing Shredding 2015 world tour. "We shred, you wipe....just like in the porn industry."
~Quote the Dragon

Ricky has sponsors lining up to endorse our group and support our tour. You will need some gear for the next few months, but I'm sure you will receive all kinds of perks, in the near future. I see a Ricky the Dragon movie in our future....Cause our metal will change lives, and everyone will want to be aligned with the Dragon Revolution.

So, shoot me a message and give me a description of yourself, interests, and why I should invite you to the Dragon's Lair to check your skills. "The Real deal has zero need or desire to prove himself to the fake & phony"
~Ricky the Dragon

PS: For all you haters & doubters that question Ricky as the rightful heir to pick up where Slayer left off, you will see the Truth very soon. And for those of you that want to insult Ricky's appearance, weight or whatever; I've been doing weightwatchers and P90X for last year, and look amazing. Double chin vanished like Al Capone's lost treasure....I am flexible like a Korean gymnast...My muscled pronounced like a Italian sculpted Adonis. But, I'll let my Ripping abilities demonstrate that I am a Metal Monster that will melt your face if you gently caress with Ricky the Dragon. I am the past, present, and definitely the future of Metal. I am Ricky the Dragon.

this seems like a good opportunity

Declan MacManus fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 11, 2014

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I approve of the Guitar Crew title change.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope
I'd buy that for 999.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Renegret posted:

I approve of the Guitar Crew title change.

The title says 'music equipment' now, so it's open season on lovely instruments of all kinds in addition to guitars. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troglyfe
Jan 2, 2014

Zonekeeper posted:

The title says 'music equipment' now, so it's open season on lovely instruments of all kinds in addition to guitars. :getin:

Let's just get this one out of the way, then.

Garbage: the instrument
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7gXLqMe5Bw

• Locked thread