Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Bodyguard? bah! I went warlord for enhanced player vs door experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I finally managed to play for about two hours yesterday, between all the server restarts and Euro Primetime and got in a few levels on my Healer.

Mostly putting my points into Pac right now, because that skilline is just more fun during pve grouping and power regen without PoM is just brutally low without. I will probably keep this up till 40 and then respec.

As I never played Midgard in the past I do want to know : how important is an Aug Healer in an 8-man? At first glance all they bring to the table is Haste Buff and Celerity (+Resist Buffs). I know this is close to 40% mellee haste, but does this really warrant the loss of all the goodies in the Pac tree. My main gripe is losing the Mez cure.

I expect that the role of the Aug Healer is primarily also Mending the team, while the Pac healer tries to establish control. Therefore I would go 44 Aug for the highest celerity, and then 31 Mending.

I always played Hib/Alb in the past, so I really don't know the true value of this specline

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
It's pretty much as you said. Celerity and primary healer. Aug is tremendously valuable as celerity just owns.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Thanks for confirming this. As I said I have only ever been on the receiving end of this as it is a Midgard only mechanic.

So the fact that the rest of the Spec Skills in the Augmentation line are of questionable value do not offset the worth of the haste buffs (+resist buffs, the good ones).

I do like primary healing a lot though, so I guess I won't miss being the Pac Healer. Hope I still get into PVE groups easily once I respec from Pac to Aug at 40

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Your self str/con is nice to have. And just get in melee groups. Bomb groups obviously won't want a pac healer.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

PriNGLeS posted:

Your self str/con is nice to have. And just get in melee groups. Bomb groups obviously won't want a pac healer.

"Aug Healer" I bet.

That's no problem, I never really liked bomb groups back in the day. One trick ponies.
Off course we are still on old RA's so without the determination changes and all bomb groups might be stronger now than I remember in the early TOA era.

I guess with the absence of dedicated Buffbots having my own Str/Con saves the shaman some concentration.

I saw we had two lvl 50 Bonedancers in guild. I don't remember that class to be anything interesting for PvP. What am I missing? Are the the absolute Troll class or so?

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
They're okay in certain set ups. They're fantastic interrupters as suppression spec, and their absorb buff is nice if you're going against heavy melee groups. But they're not really sought out. I think most of the BDs in the guild are farming toons.

Mid bomb rvr groups dont really work, since well, SMs kind of suck and really are one-trick ponies. Hib on the other hand has loving awesome bomb classes. Mana eld with snare nukes, aoe disease, aoe str/con debuff, and pbaoe. And mana enchanters with that damned heat debuff and base-line heat nuke.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

What do bonedancers use as a spec for leveling then solo farming once they are 50?

fishhooked
Nov 14, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Nap Ghost
I made the mistake of visiting the Genesis forums yesterday. The amount of whining and frothing at the mouth is thick for a free game. Kind of turned me off from logging on last night to be honest. We get it, lots of people want to play and servers are laggy. Do we really need to poo poo all over the place about it? The devs basically do this as a hobby right? Its like Pinocchio turning Gepetto over and reaming him right after he becomes a "real boy". Does this poo poo sipping extend into actual gameplay?

Other news, I got my SM up to level 11. I like it but its a bummer that using the pet is so frowned upon. It seems like its a pretty big part of the class. Does it really take that much EXP away? Its also a giant bummer that a lot of the interesting classes (paladin/thane/hunters, ect) have no place on the server. It's like the general attitude is if its not maxing out an 8v8 group, then its a poo poo class/mechanic.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

fishhooked posted:

I made the mistake of visiting the Genesis forums yesterday. The amount of whining and frothing at the mouth is thick for a free game. Kind of turned me off from logging on last night to be honest. We get it, lots of people want to play and servers are laggy. Do we really need to poo poo all over the place about it? The devs basically do this as a hobby right? Its like Pinocchio turning Gepetto over and reaming him right after he becomes a "real boy". Does this poo poo sipping extend into actual gameplay?

Other news, I got my SM up to level 11. I like it but its a bummer that using the pet is so frowned upon. It seems like its a pretty big part of the class. Does it really take that much EXP away? Its also a giant bummer that a lot of the interesting classes (paladin/thane/hunters, ect) have no place on the server. It's like the general attitude is if its not maxing out an 8v8 group, then its a poo poo class/mechanic.

I really don't get the point of someone rushing to post "SERVERS ARE DOWN AGAIN" threads every single time something happens. Like, why would you think the staff doesn't know? Also love the people bitching about getting a temp ban on the forum which doesn't get lifted the second it expires, thinking that's going to do anything except piss off the mods.

SM pets leech 25% xp, but the benefit of having one out vastly outweighs the drawbacks. Keep yours out and don't let anyone tell you otherwise (unless you're in a dungeon with a pathing issue and your pet keeps pulling mobs through walls or something). Especially on this server since the rewards for grouping are so high. I still see a giant majority of people that refuse to use one and I just don't get it at all.

I haven't seen anyone really turned down from xp groups so far no matter the class, unless there was 1 spot left and we needed a healer or something. I was grouped with 3 hunters just the other day.

At 50, yeah, thanes just don't bring as much to the table in group RvR because of the lack of determination. Interrupts are nice, and in sieges thanes do fine, but 8v8 not so much. Paladins I think are wanted at least a little for their chants but I could be wrong. Hunters and SBs have their place on the server, just not really with an 8v8 group.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Back in the day exp groups took pretty much anyone except for when a key role was missing. I cannot imagine an alb pve group turning down a paladin ever. They are pretty much the embodiment of pve.

For RvR it is what is said above. After years of experience, even on a fresh server, people gravitate to cookiecutter classes that are optimal for RvR. Some classes, even while very strong tend to fall out of favour (thanes, champions, ...).

As for a SM, I don't think I've ever heard people complain in a group for summoning their pet. And in RvR they can actually intercept blows.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Evernoob posted:

As for a SM, I don't think I've ever heard people complain in a group for summoning their pet. And in RvR they can actually intercept blows.

I haven't heard anyone bitch at the SM for it, but most of the ones I've grouped with (all pbae spec) won't have one out because of the xp thing. Then they complained that they get interrupted :v:

Having a warrior with guard on you plus an intercepting pet means you probably aren't going to get hit very often in higher level PvE groups, but the pet also does pretty decent on its own.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
AFAIK the pet only steals the SM's XP. Right?

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

boho posted:

AFAIK the pet only steals the SM's XP. Right?
This is correct, and the reason why the guy above you never heard of anyone bitching you out over it.

You ran into a group of morons. Big surprise!

Edit: Unsure if the BD question was answered. Bone Army is great for leveling, once you have the pets out and buffed they just DPS diarrhea all over and you've got DOTs too.* Supp at 50 is great for RVR and farming. BA can work for farming but I haven't tested it personally. I imagine it would be too power intensive to focus on healing your commander and utilizing DPS solo, but probably a friendlier group spec. I suspect darkness is worthless.

*BD picks up when you spec 15 in a line, you get the 2nd base commander at 15 who can control 1 spec pet. Then 30 for 2 and 45 for 3. 3rd pet is bugged though and, if it's melee, only does DA DPS and hits only with the dex buff.

Tom Powers fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 12, 2014

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Tom Powers posted:

3rd pet is bugged though and, if it's melee, only does DA DPS and hits only with the dex buff.

Pretty sure this might be working as intended due to the BD's hidden pet level cap:

Wayback Camelot Herald posted:

Multiple minons can be summoned, depending on the caster's level. Each minion's level is 75% of the caster's level or the maximum given in the spell, which ever is lower. There is a total hard level cap of 75 for controlled minions; this means at the highest level the 3rd minion pet will need to be of a lower level to summon.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

boho posted:

Pretty sure this might be working as intended due to the BD's hidden pet level cap:
Hmm, interesting.

AFAIK this only impacts BA though as low-level supp pets still cast the higher level spells. So maybe the bug is that some low-level pets are too good rather than bad. I won't say anything.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
I've grouped with a lot of people that absolutely refuse to use their pets. BA BDs included. I just kicked them.

Server has been doing pretty well lag wise lately. Had a full afternoon of nearly lagless RvR. It was awesome.
Though I've heard constant bitching about respawns being bugged.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Server is down for weekly maintenance/updates. 1400-1900 CET / 7 AM - 12PM CST

They've entered a new phase of the project: http://daoc-origins.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7512
Basically meaning it's going to be treated like a live MMO now, with weekly down time to implement fixes. Instead of whenever.

nousername
Mar 1, 2005
mainliner
There's also this reply to someone that's buried in one of the threads:

Minotaur wrote:
If they could fix the lag than they would have done it. That seems to be the point, they don't know how to fix the lag.

CODY: I believe we do know how to fix it but it isn't a quick fix. We will fix it in a few days. That isn't good enough for some people but it's the way it is.

So here's hoping that is coming this week and they don't break something horribly

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Server population is capped at 1100 currently. What is a healthy maximum population count if you count 50% of the population to be busy in Frontiers/DF? Or has there never been "too many people in frontiers".

As I couldn't log on into DAOC yesterday I fired up GW2 again after more than a year, and went straight to the WvWvW. I actually had fun. But this was purely due to a competent commander (with an icon above his head / showing on minimap) who was leading out 30man minizerg.
My biggest gripe about that WvWvW zone is the lack of open space between the different landmarks. But then again they don't have Speed 5. +33% swiftness is about it.

Most RvR is concentrated in Emain, but if population was really too high the other two frontiers would definitely be used a lot.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
RvR isn't really concentrated in emain. I made about 110k rps running with a good group yesterday and we never set foot in emain. Was all in Alb and Mid lands. Killing people taking keeps, 8 mans, etc. Most people do just default to emain, but there's lots of good rvr to be had outside of emain. Especially with no one respecting 8v8 and adding/zerging the poo poo out of people.

Edit: Boston got perma banned again. Nice.

PriNGLeS fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 12, 2014

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

PriNGLeS posted:

I've grouped with a lot of people that absolutely refuse to use their pets. BA BDs included. I just kicked them.

Server has been doing pretty well lag wise lately. Had a full afternoon of nearly lagless RvR. It was awesome.
Though I've heard constant bitching about respawns being bugged.

There was a bunch of lag in the frontier xp group I was in last night but it wasn't unreasonable, just spikes here and there. Its definitely seemed to be better late.

The broken spawns is a bigger issue to me. We cleared out camps that just never respawned at all. It all worked out because we eventually ended up at some bone-eater camp in Odin's that was amazing, but the first 3 spots we went stayed empty.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Combo posted:

There was a bunch of lag in the frontier xp group I was in last night but it wasn't unreasonable, just spikes here and there. Its definitely seemed to be better late.

The broken spawns is a bigger issue to me. We cleared out camps that just never respawned at all. It all worked out because we eventually ended up at some bone-eater camp in Odin's that was amazing, but the first 3 spots we went stayed empty.

If you kill after a zone freeze it just takes a long time for mobs to start respawning. Not sure why. But they do eventually respawn.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

PriNGLeS posted:

If you kill after a zone freeze it just takes a long time for mobs to start respawning. Not sure why. But they do eventually respawn.

We were out there for about an hour and a half and checking on a few camps here and there when we were getting low on mobs at the bone eater camp and they never respawned. Maybe its slower than that but an hour and a half is a pretty long repop time.

Also I think last night was the first night I've been in the frontiers that I haven't seen a zone freeze message but I was only out there for about 2 hours total.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
Is there a patch or something we need to download? Can't find any info on one on the forums but I also can't log in.

I'm just crashing a ton trying to get to the char select screen (inbetween server full errors) and then when trying to log in, screen goes white and boots me back to char screen, sometimes crashes.

Maybe this is normal IDK.

Edit: It's not just me, the theory is that the game is frozen in the areas (we're) trying to log in at. Would explain why the population went from capped to 959. (And now 855)

Tom Powers fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 12, 2014

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Yes, the mainland zones have been frozen for about 70 minutes, server is rebooting in 19 minutes.

I like how they take an hour and a half to respond to a hosed server, then make everyone wait an extra 30 minutes for a reboot.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Can't get in either today. 3rd day in a row I can't log during Euro Primetime :(

I'm trying really hard to get sucked back into this game but it doesn't let me. Maybe it's for my own good.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
Holy poo poo fire elementals.

Edit: 2 turnins later, 2 bubs from 48, 5 mins from Musp again... and server crash.

At least on the plus side it wasn't a freeze as was my original fear, since all the elementals are dead 5 sec after spawning. :lol:

Tom Powers fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 12, 2014

knox
Oct 28, 2004

I only picked this game up for a short while maybe 5 years ago but I want to play again for the same reason, for some fun RvR. Will I get stomped because mostly everyone is very experienced/an old vet of the game or can people still jump in and level very quickly and get going?

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

knox posted:

I only picked this game up for a short while maybe 5 years ago but I want to play again for the same reason, for some fun RvR. Will I get stomped because mostly everyone is very experienced/an old vet of the game or can people still jump in and level very quickly and get going?

You can pick it up and get going, but you'll probably get stomped by guild groups.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

knox posted:

You'll get stomped by experienced players, sure, but as long as you can respond to callouts and /assist the main damage dealer you'll be perfectly fine. Its not insanely in depth for the most part.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
server's back up :supaburn:

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
Edit: The SWGEmu server has 2000+ pretty regularly. WoW freeservers are pretty popular as well, but there are more of them. Honestly, this server would have way more players if it could handle them which it can't - server pop is capped at just over 1k and it's still a little too high. Hopefully they get the server issues fixed before the lack of available slots starts to drive players away.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Tom Powers fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 13, 2014

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Weird to see a freeshard with so many players.

Well I got to level 2 before the zone crashed. Sweet.

ded fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 13, 2014

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Sweet I believe I will roll whatever realm with the biggest goon presence and play some type of support.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

knox posted:

Sweet I believe I will roll whatever realm with the biggest goon presence and play some type of support.

If you're talking about on Origins/Genesis, the largest group is on Mid.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
We need to figure out a day and a time to run our RvR group. I'm west coast but generally anything after 4pm PST (7pm EST) is good for me on weekdays. Weekends are mostly open and I'd like to try and get something going near euro prime so we can get a lot of fights. Post what works best for you. Expect that a guild group will run for at least an hour.

Edit: I'm going to run as a shaman.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
They need to make the pve more xp on genesis. Slogging through 50 levels with really buggy mobs is something I don't think I can handle.

edit : also they should use the updated archery not the old way that actually needs arrows.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

ded posted:

They need to make the pve more xp on genesis. Slogging through 50 levels with really buggy mobs is something I don't think I can handle.

edit : also they should use the updated archery not the old way that actually needs arrows.

Xp on Genesis is very good when you're in a full group.

Don't bother soloing on this server. Seriously.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
To me the exp actually seemed at a very good point. It really encourages grouping (as it should), and kind of discourages powerleveling like in the old days (also like it should).
As finding a group to exp/pve with is very easy, you can easily play classes/builds that aren't so pve/solo friendly. And as the extra bonus exp from adding one extra groupmember at least compensates the loss of regular exp people will pretty much take any class/spec in their group as long as they have at least one healer (role, not class).

But all this positive wall of text still doesn't allow me to play during Euro Primetime. Just can't seem to get in when I want to :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
I can't believe the name Xxthorxxfourtwenty was available.

• Locked thread