Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Pingiivi posted:

The whole remake is actually pretty goddamn funny: http://ourrobocopremake.com/watch.html
The interpretive dance as Boddicker and his gang blow Murphy away was pretty wacky in all the best ways. Also Boddicker's confrontation with Sal is pretty great. "C'mon, Sal! Those Tigers are playin'.... TO-NITE!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
Robocop did £2.3 ($3.7) million in the uk. Their is no chart yet but it's not number 1.
I'm not really sure if that's a good or bad figure.

eyeslikethunder
Sep 6, 2013
I really wish hollywood stop destroying my favourite movies with these remakes.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

eyeslikethunder posted:

I know I was real sad when the original was removed from all streaming services and my Criterion DVD vanished. :(

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

It's a good movie, the quality dips in the second half as it starts to resemble the original in more ways than necessary. The first act is brilliant and worth it.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

eyeslikethunder posted:

You will be delighted to know that they decided, just for Robocop, not to burn all the copies of the original, so you can still enjoy it! I hear they'll be doing it for remakes from now on. drat good of them.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Slasherfan posted:

Robocop did £2.3 ($3.7) million in the uk. Their is no chart yet but it's not number 1.
I'm not really sure if that's a good or bad figure.

It was second, topped by The LEGO Movie at $6.6m est. It did first in France with $3m, and opened at the top spot in 10 markets over the weekend.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
So what it sounds like from the reviews here and other places is that the movie is Robocop if you took out the fun of Robocop.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

The_Rob posted:

So what it sounds like from the reviews here and other places is that the movie is Robocop if you took out the fun of Robocop.

Want to expand on that?

I was very eh on seeing this (the Total Recall remake broke me a bit, I think, I generally have no problem with remakes) but from the feedback in the thread and the tone of the reviews I think it'd be something I'd enjoy. Seems a different enough beast from the original to be enjoyable. A mate asked me to see it a couple of times on the weekend and I wasn't really up for it but I'm cautiously optimistic now. Cheers for the posts.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
The problem I have with the Total Recall remake is that it was called Total Recall. I feel it would have been a pretty decent popcorn flick without the name TR as the film was a 99% departure form the original. Surely they could have written it in such a way it had nothing to do with TR.

It had a generic action plot, but the effects and visuals were pretty fantastic, I would have loved it... if it wasn't for the TR name and the comparisons that name provoked. Shame they never had the balls to make it its own film.

McGoonagall
Feb 21, 2007

by Ralp
Saw this last night.

First half is good, fair amount of super-dry comedy and subtly bothersome moments, and you can sense that it was made by someone who "got" the original. Michael Keaton in particular brings a kind of bouncy, twinkly eyed little boy energy to the role that makes him perfectly believable as a big money rear end in a top hat who'd cut a dude up for a marketing ploy. Gary Oldman is solid as ever. Unfortunately Joel Kinnaman and Abbie Cornish are as wooden as all poo poo, with big doe eyes and lumpen delivery being their attempt at EMOTIOOON. But still, for a while it's actually a really solid film.

Second half not so much, it just kinda turns into a po-faced action movie. Did quite like how the gunfight in Vallon's facility played out like pretty much any modern shooter game, with a bunch of mooks behind chest-high cover exchanging gunshots with a nigh-invulnerable protagonist. The focus on the character of Mattox was a bit mystifying, since his supposed badness was not believing in the Robocop program and shutting Murphy off before he could slaughter a woman in cold blood and Lewis was, as others have said, a total non-entity. Also, I dunno if it was just me, but Michael Keaton seemed to phone it in a bit in the latter half of the movie.

Between the opening sequence and the constant shots of Robocop constantly circling around on his motorbike looking for dudes to it seemed like an attempt at a drone warfare metaphor but the one-liners from Robocop and the slow pace of the scenes kinda deflated it.

Still, by no means is the second half bad, it's just...not great. All in all, the film's pretty alright.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Pretty alright is really the best I could ever expect from a RoboCop reboot. I'll take it.

I'm okay with Lewis being a non-entity in this one, because let's be honest, Lewis was a non-entity in the original. You could have entirely written her out and the overall movie would remain wholly unchanged, replaced with Robo just helping himself back up to fighting form on his own. It's not like she was thematically useful in any way, she just showed up at the right time to offer a helping hand like, twice.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
Robocop has probably lead to one of the most uncomfortable interviews I've seen in awhile.
Interviewer confuses Samual L Jackson with Laurence Fishburne

http://youtu.be/ToaHQI9X5RI

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Slasherfan posted:

Robocop has probably lead to one of the most uncomfortable interviews I've seen in awhile.
Interviewer confuses Samual L Jackson with Laurence Fishburne

http://youtu.be/ToaHQI9X5RI
Good god. Sam Jackson put that anchor on blast but he absolutely deserved it. How do you even confuse those two?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

How do you even confuse those two?

Just a little thing called racism.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Jesus Christ that dude needs to be gone, like, as soon as that interview ended.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Rhyno posted:

Just a little thing called racism.

Please explain? I would hate if anyone ever confused me with someone else they would be deemed a racist.

Oh I see, they are both black... obvious racist :rolleyes:

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Please explain? I would hate if anyone ever confused me with someone else they would be deemed a racist.

The guy is supposed to be a professional interviewer and should have known that he wasn't in that commercial. Also Samuel L Jackson and Lawerance Fishborne don't really look alike.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Sounds like the movie is what the trailers told us it would be. Potentially interesting but unfulfilling. Hopefully it'll be worth checking out as a popcorn flick.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Toady posted:

Sounds like the movie is what the trailers told us it would be. Potentially interesting but unfulfilling. Hopefully it'll be worth checking out as a popcorn flick.

According to everyone here, the trailers were telling us it was literally the second coming of Total Recall and would retroactively rape your childhood destroy the original Robocop.

Cody Banks
Mar 7, 2013

Slasherfan posted:

The guy is supposed to be a professional interviewer and should have known that he wasn't in that commercial. Also Samuel L Jackson and Lawerance Fishborne don't really look alike.

Fishborne is the one with the prominent gap-tooth. That's how you can tell.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cody Banks posted:

Fishborne is the one with the prominent gap-tooth. That's how you can tell.

Also the entire rest of their heads.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

That dude should be gone either way though because if it wasn't done due to racism, than it's still pathetic that THE ENTERTAINMENT GUY of their station can mix up two very famous stars.

Anyways now that it seems the movie does do its own thing for the first half I'll probably check it out now.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Slim Killington posted:

Pretty alright is really the best I could ever expect from a RoboCop reboot. I'll take it.

I'm okay with Lewis being a non-entity in this one, because let's be honest, Lewis was a non-entity in the original. You could have entirely written her out and the overall movie would remain wholly unchanged, replaced with Robo just helping himself back up to fighting form on his own. It's not like she was thematically useful in any way, she just showed up at the right time to offer a helping hand like, twice.

Yeah, I was thinking about it recently and I can't really understand why Lewis would even care deeply about Murphy in the original film when she only knew him for a couple hours. Outside of an officer she watch die, Robocop could have been anybody to her. He could have been Frank Fredrickson or the three dead officers from the shootout in the opening that Murphy replaced for all she knew. Padhila moving the focus from Lewis to Murphy's wife makes a hell of a lot more sense.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

It's an extremely common thing for minorities to encounter.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Watched Joel Kinnaman on tonight's Kimmel. Highlights:

- He's 34 so he was 8 years old when the first one came out and couldn't see it in theaters because he was too young.
- As a kid, he watched the movie several times at a friend's house on VHS and he played Robocop so much as a kid that he got stuck in a "robo walk" and his mom (who's a therapist) wanted him to get therapy so he had to stop.

And that's about it. He didn't really say anything else about the movie except that it was a great experience.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

They look nothing alike.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, I was thinking about it recently and I can't really understand why Lewis would even care deeply about Murphy in the original film when she only knew him for a couple hours. Outside of an officer she watch die, Robocop could have been anybody to her. He could have been Frank Fredrickson or the three dead officers from the shootout in the opening that Murphy replaced for all she knew. Padhila moving the focus from Lewis to Murphy's wife makes a hell of a lot more sense.

Because she was Murphy's backup but she got knocked out of action because she couldn't resist meat-gazing a bad guy. Massive guilt.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Watched Joel Kinnaman on tonight's Kimmel. Highlights:

- He's 34 so he was 8 years old when the first one came out and couldn't see it in theaters because he was too young.
- As a kid, he watched the movie several times at a friend's house on VHS and he played Robocop so much as a kid that he got stuck in a "robo walk" and his mom (who's a therapist) wanted him to get therapy so he had to stop.

And that's about it. He didn't really say anything else about the movie except that it was a great experience.

I was 8 when the original came out and my Dad took me to see it. Mother was not pleased.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Everybody's going to see Mr. Peabody and Sherman instead. That's great.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

I would think Lego Movie more so. It was awesome.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Tommy 2.0 posted:

I didn't even know there was a Lego Movie. Now I must see it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tommy 2.0 posted:

It looks like that's not out yet in the UK, much like how Peabody isn't out in the US (as far as I know).

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Saw this today. Its a half decent film that felt like it couldn't stick the landing the first half of it makes it so clear that Murphy is owned completely and utterly by OCP that the ending doesn't really feel convincing. I was trying not to compare it to the original but the end is one part I couldnt help it.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I actually really enjoyed the film, there was something holding it back from being really good that I can't quite put my finger on.
I'm surprised with how public the rebirth of Alex Murphy was made and confused as to why none of the criminals targeted his wife and kid...

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

massive spider posted:

Saw this today. Its a half decent film that felt like it couldn't stick the landing the first half of it makes it so clear that Murphy is owned completely and utterly by OCP that the ending doesn't really feel convincing. I was trying not to compare it to the original but the end is one part I couldnt help it.

Are you saying Robocop is not owned by OCP at the end of the original?

McGoonagall
Feb 21, 2007

by Ralp

MacheteZombie posted:

Are you saying Robocop is not owned by OCP at the end of the original?

I kinda get where he's coming from. The remake takes huge pains to show that Robocop is definitely the bitch of OCP, he thinks he has free will but he doesn't and he is nothing but a drone with a drugged-out zombie strapped into it - which means when he pretty much instantly goes rogue it feels a bit flat and unearned. Like, the first Robocop it showed a lot of soulless robotic crime fighting, a dawning realisation and then he had to get the living poo poo shot out of him and be, like, baptised and walk on water and suffer and fight to become even slightly human again and even then he still couldn't shoot an OCP dude, and it gives a kinda queasy twist to the ending. Having Newbocop just gun down Michael Keaton because he's really pissed off and then they all lived happily ever after seems a bit poor by comparison.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

McGoonagall posted:

I kinda get where he's coming from. The remake takes huge pains to show that Robocop is definitely the bitch of OCP, he thinks he has free will but he doesn't and he is nothing but a drone with a drugged-out zombie strapped into it - which means when he pretty much instantly goes rogue it feels a bit flat and unearned. Like, the first Robocop it showed a lot of soulless robotic crime fighting, a dawning realisation and then he had to get the living poo poo shot out of him and be, like, baptised and walk on water and suffer and fight to become even slightly human again and even then he still couldn't shoot an OCP dude, and it gives a kinda queasy twist to the ending. Having Newbocop just gun down Michael Keaton because he's really pissed off and then they all lived happily ever after seems a bit poor by comparison.

This makes more sense. I haven't seen the remake yet, since it's not out in the U.S. Thanks for, hopefully, elaborating what massive spider is getting at. I thought he was implying that Murphy in the original is a "freeman" at the end of the film, because he isn't at all. The only reason he can even kill Dick is because the old man fires him, Robocop still couldn't lay a finger on any OCP personnel.

I hope I shouldn't be spoilering the original Robocop stuff, even though it's related to your spoilered discussion.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
As someone who watches the original Robocop at least once a month, I am very happy with this remake especially after being burned so bad by Total Recall. (Although Bryan Cranston was Crantastic as usual)

I was however severely disappointed by the ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I haven't seen the remake, and my own dumb posting aside, I get the feeling from what everyone else has said is that it's not a bad story in its own right, it just lacks the magic that Verhoven added to the original.

• Locked thread