Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Epinephrine posted:

Boo. Faux-cryllic and the other fonts were an easy way to tell at a glance the alignment of any given country from any map mode.

Surely it'd be possible to make a suitably Soviet-looking font without resorting to using letters from a different language than the one being written with completely different meaning to the ones they're replacing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Johan and co come to this forum to avoid this kind of bullshit. If they wanted endless nitpicking they'd just stay on the Paradox forums.

This. I don't know what kind of power an OP has in these kinds of things, but this is what I don't want to see in my thread.

I wasn't aware you had had long talks with "Johan and co" about their preferred thread topics. In any event, as great as it is when they post here (and I'm glad they do), this isn't a vacation retreat set up for the Paradox Devs. This is a thread for people to discuss and enjoy Paradox Games and everything [within reason] surrounding them - including the history they are based upon.

I dislike HOI3 enough that I skim over or skip all the HOI3 gameplay tip posts, but I don't make posts to remind everyone of my personal preferences (or the suspected preferences of DH Devs or whatever) every page about it. If you don't enjoy constructive/education debates/discussion of the historical processes that Paradox Games try to represent then just skip over those posts and/or start discussion of something else.

Gorgo Primus fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 11, 2014

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You can shut it down if it bothers you that much I suppose.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

This is a dumb argument, especially given how trivial it is to mod the game.

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003

BBJoey posted:

Surely it'd be possible to make a suitably Soviet-looking font without resorting to using letters from a different language than the one being written with completely different meaning to the ones they're replacing.

http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=205 There's a bunch, and Paradox should absolutely never ever use a faux Cyrillic font again. That poo poo is unreadable.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Epinephrine posted:

Sidebar from fascinating history discussion:

Boo. Faux-cryllic and the other fonts were an easy way to tell at a glance the alignment of any given country from any map mode.

He never said the Allied All-caps and the Axis Fraktur would be taken out, though the latter looks really weird in Asia.

BBJoey posted:

Google "Soviet Font", there's some nice blocky stuff that doesn't use Cyrillic lettering.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

SickZip posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cochin_(1504)

1504 and Portugal managed one of the most humiliating battles in history against Calicut. Portugal fairly consistently beat local naval powers while operating in foreign territory months away from home. Portugal was able to beat Indian forces at ratios you cannot even come close to achieving in EU4. Portugal was consistently able to win trade concessions, ports, and control through clever use of local allies.

This current derail is loving terrible, but this wikipedia article was a really good read. Thanks dude. :thumbsup:

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Bold Robot posted:

This current derail is loving terrible, but this wikipedia article was a really good read. Thanks dude. :thumbsup:

Yes, this current discussion derail about EU4 mechanics, a Paradox Grand Strategy Game. Let us continue with other, more pressing matters, such as

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Kavak posted:

He never said the Allied All-caps and the Axis Fraktur would be taken out, though the latter looks really weird in Asia.

Google "Soviet Font", there's some nice blocky stuff that doesn't use Cyrillic lettering.
No. It is physically impossible to find four fonts for a map if one of them isn't Cyrillic.

But seriously: 1) I really do hope they will keep the different fonts for different alignments, because it would be stupid to ditch a useful UI element on account of one font. 2) Most of those Soviet fonts utilize Cyrillic characters here and there (notable exception), 3) Related to 2, and as an academic aside, I wonder where native Cyrillic-script readers draw the line between "cool flavor" and "painful to read."

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Or they could just use real cyrillic and players can eventually piece together what Советский Союз means.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Or they could just use real cyrillic and players can eventually piece together what Советский Союз means.
Somehow I'm okay with this.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Odobenidae posted:

Yes, this current discussion derail about EU4 mechanics, a Paradox Grand Strategy Game. Let us continue with other, more pressing matters, such as

We can talk about the next paradox game!

How about a space game, that would be wacky!

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yes, but will the game accurately model the self-determination and initiative of the Centaurians, or are we going to have another Terra-Centric depiction of almighty Sol?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Tomn posted:

Yes, but will the game accurately model the self-determination and initiative of the Centaurians, or are we going to have another Terra-Centric depiction of almighty Sol?

Its called terra universalis for a reason jeez. Plus historically they were just better.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
On one hand, it seems like the sperging over the loss of divisional commanders has died down in the Paradox forums. On the other hand, it's been replaced by map projection-chat.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I bet it's a space game! It's even called Project Armstro- :suicide:

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

SeaTard posted:

In the current mechanics if you mod it to remove the tech penalty, you get Mali Brazil every game. People are wanting a deeper, but still fun, mechanic that lets you do it in a more iterative process of smaller reforms while still resulting in the usual game having Portuguese Brazil, Spanish Spanish Main, English New England, etc. I don't know that it's possible and the derail necessarily involves the underlying reasons why Western Europe wound up with so much better cannons and ocean-going ships coinciding with a large agricultural surplus. It's still more interesting than HoI3 talk!

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

gradenko_2000 posted:

On one hand, it seems like the sperging over the loss of divisional commanders has died down in the Paradox forums. On the other hand, it's been replaced by map projection-chat.

I am actually a bit irked by the map projection. Is it impossible to have the engine model a globe?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Oh boy, is Europe "too small" or fat or something? :allears:

EDIT: ^^^^ Supreme Ruler does that, and we all know how that series turns out...

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

fermun posted:

In the current mechanics if you mod it to remove the tech penalty, you get Mali Brazil every game. People are wanting a deeper, but still fun, mechanic that lets you do it in a more iterative process of smaller reforms while still resulting in the usual game having Portuguese Brazil, Spanish Spanish Main, English New England, etc. I don't know that it's possible and the derail necessarily involves the underlying reasons why Western Europe wound up with so much better cannons and ocean-going ships coinciding with a large agricultural surplus. It's still more interesting than HoI3 talk!

Is Mali Brazil every game something that would happen every game? Because you also have to change the way the AI takes ideas, as well as removing the tech penalty, for that to happen.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

V for Vegas posted:

I am actually a bit irked by the map projection. Is it impossible to have the engine model a globe?

I was about to say Civ 4, but then I realized that even that just wraps a flat grid over a globe but still doesn't let you cross over the poles.

Kavak posted:

Oh boy, is Europe "too small" or fat or something? :allears:

The American continent is shifted up and to the east so, for example, Brazil is much closer to Africa than it really should be, but if I'm understanding the dev posts correctly it's a performance consideration: Modelling the map precisely according to any projection would make the world even larger than it already is, necessitating much larger textures, driving up minimum requirements.

Tamerlame
Oct 20, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I wouldn't mind this at all. But I like to play CK2/EU4 with the names of the nations in their respective languages.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Tomn posted:

Now I want a Paradox game about Babylon 5 Wars.

Dammit.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!
Better have Rome's civil war mechanics is all I'll say to that...

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
The next Paradox game will obviously be Rome II, as they're now working on the spinoffs Rome: 1936 and Rome: Beyond Germania: The RPG. Meanwhile I will continue to enjoy the current crop of games of Rome: Restoration and Rome: Still the best, 1066.

Though it'd be fine if it's Vicky 3.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

grancheater posted:

The next Paradox game will obviously be Rome II, as they're now working on the spinoffs Rome: 1936 and Rome: Beyond Germania: The RPG. Meanwhile I will continue to enjoy the current crop of games of Rome: Restoration and Rome: Still the best, 1066.

Though it'd be fine if it's Vicky 3.

They would compromise: it's Vicky 3 but every nation that is not an absolute monarchy/fascist dictatorship/communist uses Rome's senate mechanics, rebels all use the Rome civil war mechanics so you can switch over to the communist rebels and lead the people's revolution against your own government, non-senate governments obviously use the mechanics for the Roman Empire.

And it goes without saying that the religious sacrifice mechanics remain. Honestly, you kids today think your crazy factories excuse you from your sacrifices to Osiris :colbert:.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

You forgot to mention the literal Nazis posting literal Nazi propaganda.

Seriously what the gently caress.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BBJoey posted:

You forgot to mention the literal Nazis posting literal Nazi propaganda.

Seriously what the gently caress.

Holy poo poo :psyduck:

quote:

Facism means anti-capitalist and anti-communist ultra nationalism, which means putting nation ahead of invidual. So Facism is good ideology (not mine tough, i am not ultra nationalist), nothing wrong with that. And, in Paradox games you are not the leader of nation, you ARE the nation, so if you want something, that nation wants something.
Also playing as SU is far far worse from your point of view, and allies developed weapons of mass destruction to be used against civilians. In war, there are no innocents, like Albert Einstein noticed, he used to be pacifist, but he realised it is better to end war as cuickly as possible, and by all means necessary - he was developing nuclear weapons.
And in game, genocides or war crimes don`t exist, so you can play as "perfect Germany" if you wish to.
Also, remember 70 years of propaganda means we can`t know exactly what happened, perhaps things are not like most think they were. I know 1 concentration camp open to public that has sign saying Jews were NOT gassed there. Also Wehrmacht was more racially diverse than any allied army.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Someone find out if that guy lives in Germany so he can be arrested.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

DrProsek posted:

They would compromise: it's Vicky 3 but every nation that is not an absolute monarchy/fascist dictatorship/communist uses Rome's senate mechanics, rebels all use the Rome civil war mechanics so you can switch over to the communist rebels and lead the people's revolution against your own government,

Jokes aside, these would actually be pretty boss. Playing as a democracy would be spiced up by having dickhead obstructionist/easily bought off opposing parties, grand coalitions and so on. As for the latter, what more can I say but :getin: anything that can go towards representing the clusterfuck that was the Russian Civil War would be incredible.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Holy poo poo :psyduck:

How the hell does he have over 500 posts? Or does Paradox just shut discussions down and not necessarily ban the posters?

The worst I've seen before this was a guy in the Modern Day Scenario thread who referred to communism as "too multicultural", I guess because the Russians didn't try to stomp out every minority identity in the Soviet Union. He also bitched that Slovakia 'only' had like 27 IC- sorry your 100 billion GDP and division-sized, NATO-equipped military can't do much to fight the American terrorists*, dude.

*Yeah, he also called the US a terrorist nation. We're imperialists, there's a difference.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

EasternBronze posted:

The complexities of these examples are really interesting but in terms of implementing them in a way that is balanced, fun and meshes well with the overall game I don't really see how that's possible. Yeah, Cortez showing up and destroying Aztec armies outnumbered 5 to 1 with ease single-handedly is unrealistic, but how the hell are you supposed to simulate the complex mix of disease, internal dissent and local alliances that brought about his victory, in the context of the game? We're talking a Magna Mundi-esque level of complexity here. It just isn't going to work.
Having local allies to play against the local hegemon is a big part of what EU4 is about, and diplomacy in EU4 is more than capable of handling that level of complexity already. Certainly that doesn't make up the totality of the issue, but part of that problem is a lack of attention to the region. This is something that Paradox has been handling in bits and bobs for a long time.

SeaTard posted:

What we are able to mod is very limited in this regard. We can only tweak the numbers associated with core gameplay mechanics, not change them. We can change the static trade route, but we can't change its static nature and we still have to have endpoints and single-direction flow. I would love to have cyclical, bidirectional trade routes just to gently caress around with.

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Is Mali Brazil every game something that would happen every game? Because you also have to change the way the AI takes ideas, as well as removing the tech penalty, for that to happen.
I feel like most people are just taking the results of my incomplete experiment at face value than actually trying to engage the mechanics, and trying to attribute an attempt at correction to what I've said all along was an abandonment of that in frustration at how little modders are able to affect this :/ It's pretty easy to change the way AI take ideas, though. It's literally a list in their country file that they almost never deviate from or reorder. I was getting non-Western colonization because I specifically allowed them to take exploration ideas. Once they've actually got them, there's no big difference in the way colonization mechanics work outside of the availability of colonization missions, which are Western-only. Of course this is ahistorical because I told it to be ahistorical. My goal wasn't a more nuanced historical representation because I gave up on that, and I wanted to see what happens when you do away with the system altogether. The experiment was pretty successful, but I was never able to stop blobbing among static nations unable to expand anywhere except into their few neighbors -- I think it was because of province imbalances, since I mostly fixed the Shawnee-Cherokee-Creek problem, but it also involved just populating more nations with seeded complex relationships that I was never able to finish.

But whatever, this is entering genuine derail territory and is just a shouting match at this point. Let's talk about modding Runemaster. :allears: I've never played Might & Magic or anything, but I'm getting kind of a Conquistadors vibe from it. And if the procedural generation rules and assets for each world are exported to scripts then what people are doing with CK2 won't even compare. It's still Clausewitz, so terrain meshes are probably controlled by heightmaps with static meshes placed via coordinates. We're probably not going to be able to change models themselves, but I imagine we're going to retain control over a lot of content.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

V for Vegas posted:

I will argue for globes until the day Paradox implements them.

Kavak posted:

EDIT: ^^^^ Supreme Ruler does that, and we all know how that series turns out...
I'm not sure this is much of an argument. Paradox better drop the concept of taxes from their games too! :v:

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children

quote:

Der Kaiser Wilhelm II was antisemitic, but he was also God-fearing

Phew, that's ok then!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I'm not sure this is much of an argument. Paradox better drop the concept of taxes from their games too! :v:

You're absolutely right. Paradox needs to drop all similarities with Supreme Ruler and reinvent the franchises- Hearts of Iron IV will be retooled as a Red Orchestra-style FPS, Victoria 3 will be a CCG using flags, Europa Universalis V will be retitled Falalalan Hero, and Crusader Kings 3 will be a dating sim.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Literal Nazis are one thing, but what's up with Paradox forums and self-proclaimed "monarchists". Who the hell are these people? Do they live with us here in the 21st century? Why do I never encounter them in the real world?

It's a nerd thing isn't it?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

fspades posted:

Literal Nazis are one thing, but what's up with Paradox forums and self-proclaimed "monarchists". Who the hell are these people? Do they live with us here in the 21st century? Why do I never encounter them in the real world?

It's a nerd thing isn't it?

The difference between a proper constitutional monarchy like in Britain and a presidential democracy is miniscule (the American President is almost an exception and the office is heavily modeled after the ideal of an enlightened monarch). There is even the argument that the head of state, being a figure meant to represent all citizens, shouldn't be elected by just a majority. But I guess that is the "I wouldn't want to change to a republic"-monarchism. The "we need a king again, like we had earlier"-monarchism is a bit weird. Maybe people just like reading things that have the word "royal" in it.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
It's basically just nerds being nerds, sort of like identifying with whatever geek interest you have and making it your 'thing'. It's a short road from playing Kaiserreich to Die Wacht am Rhein as Germania to wiping a tear away when thinking about the glorious days of Wilhelm II or some poo poo.

:Edit: I'm assuming a kind of authoritarian monarchism here, not like getting out the bunting in :britain: when it's the Queen's jubilee.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

lullelulle posted:

I wouldn't mind this at all. But I like to play CK2/EU4 with the names of the nations in their respective languages.
I never really "got" native localization for everything. It just made it confusing to decipher events, oftentimes still ended up being irregulary applied due to limitations ("Roi of France" comes to mind for CK2), and didn't make much sense from an RP perspective either (if the character was a German than all the names should be in German because that's how he'd see it, right? Except then translation conventions come into play and it all comes out as English anyways).

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

ArchangeI posted:

The difference between a proper constitutional monarchy like in Britain and a presidential democracy is miniscule (the American President is almost an exception and the office is heavily modeled after the ideal of an enlightened monarch). There is even the argument that the head of state, being a figure meant to represent all citizens, shouldn't be elected by just a majority. But I guess that is the "I wouldn't want to change to a republic"-monarchism. The "we need a king again, like we had earlier"-monarchism is a bit weird. Maybe people just like reading things that have the word "royal" in it.
It's just nerding out over "if we put the House of Osman back on the throne then it'll be like Rome never collapsed! :hist101: "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children

Ofaloaf posted:

I never really "got" native localization for everything. It just made it confusing to decipher events, oftentimes still ended up being irregulary applied due to limitations ("Roi of France" comes to mind for CK2), and didn't make much sense from an RP perspective either (if the character was a German than all the names should be in German because that's how he'd see it, right? Except then translation conventions come into play and it all comes out as English anyways).

But then you couldn't see the glorious words of Basileia Rhomaion over your reborn Byzantium :cryingjustinian:

• Locked thread