Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

The 037 is better than an integrale anyway what the gently caress. Not only is it nowhere near the best Italian car ever made it's not even the best Lancia ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

What the gently caress was that thing about Americans and strawberries?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fyodor posted:

We have funny accents.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Rhyno posted:

We have funny accents.

And apparently we all have to pay for gas inside before we start to fill up, even though I've never done that ever? Dip credit card, fill up, leave OR look at pump number, walk in, say "I'm pump #", exchange cash, leave.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I've run into a few prepay only places/pumps but I always use a credit card so I've only had to actually go inside and prepay once when the station had old pumps that didn't take credit cards. Not sure what shithole they went to that paying for gas was so complicated.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

It's almost like, he played up his personal experience, for a joke?! I feel like you shouldn't watch top gear if you don't get that.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

His hyperbole usually has at least some vague basis in reality though. If he's just going to make poo poo up he should do something more interesting.

Aureus
Nov 20, 2006

Galler posted:

His hyperbole usually has at least some vague basis in reality though. If he's just going to make poo poo up he should do something more interesting.

He's never cared for having any kind of basis in reality when it comes to making jokes about America/Americans. Its better to just accept that and move on.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

chutwig posted:

And apparently we all have to pay for gas inside before we start to fill up, even though I've never done that ever? Dip credit card, fill up, leave OR look at pump number, walk in, say "I'm pump #", exchange cash, leave.

You've never once forgotten your card at home and had to run in and pay cash? Or like this recent Target CC crack where I was without my card for 3 weeks and had to pay cash for everything.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Aureus posted:

He's never cared for having any kind of basis in reality when it comes to making jokes about America/Americans. Its better to just accept that and move on.

I'm well aware of this I just want better jokes. Making fun of America is really god drat easy why is he so bad at it :colbert:

e: maybe it's some kind of meta troll.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009
It's clear he was referencing "a cherry on top" but he's a senile old man and mixed up his berries.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
For some reason I see Tiff Needell in Hammonds expression more than I see Clarkson.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010
Making fun of Americans is funny for British people, it's really not that hard to grasp.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

mustard_tiger posted:

Making fun of Americans is funny for British people, it's really not that hard to grasp.

I prefer when they make fun of Mexicans.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010

Ariza posted:

I prefer when they make fun of Mexicans.

Seriously, I find it really amusing to see (what I presume are) Americans getting butt hurt over a couple nonsensical jabs.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

mustard_tiger posted:

Seriously, I find it really amusing to see (what I presume are) Americans getting butt hurt over a couple nonsensical jabs.

I don't think anyone got butt hurt, but some people were genuinely curious as to what he meant by "strawberries on everything" because it is nonsensical and they were wondering if it was based on anything. I prefer when they make fun of Mexicans because it seems quaint when they do it, like an American making fun of Eastern Europeans.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Replace strawberries with cheese and the joke works better.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
The strawberries thing is very much a LA high end thing. For whatever reason in LA they love putting strawberries are decor. You check into a high end hotel and there are strawberries, get you cleaning with strawberries.

It is a odd thing and I have never seen it anywhere else. Also strawberries and very common in the US where in much of the rest of the world it isn't, especially the UK. It is like peanut butter or maple syrup, you won't see it anywhere but the US.

The cheese thing is probably a better joke and less inside baseball. I can't believe what Americans will put cheese on.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Djarum posted:

The strawberries thing is very much a LA high end thing. For whatever reason in LA they love putting strawberries are decor. You check into a high end hotel and there are strawberries, get you cleaning with strawberries.

It is a odd thing and I have never seen it anywhere else. Also strawberries and very common in the US where in much of the rest of the world it isn't, especially the UK. It is like peanut butter or maple syrup, you won't see it anywhere but the US.

The cheese thing is probably a better joke and less inside baseball. I can't believe what Americans will put cheese on.

Can you take another stab at this because holy poo poo is it hard to read.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I'm an American and i read it just fine.

Oh wait are you from the south? :ohdear:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Djarum posted:

Cheese is awesome and it improves nearly anything. What examples do you find implausible?

Also I can think of at least one other country where maple syrup can be found.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

HotCanadianChick posted:

What's the race championship winning stats on the F40? Yeah, I don't think so.

Don't get too offended.

fyodor posted:

That went WAY over my head. Also, Hammond imitating Clarkson's :smug: was amazing

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I'm an American and i read it just fine.

Oh wait are you from the south? :ohdear:

Maybe I'm overreacting but it's like trying to parse a Rirse post.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

The P1 looks stunning and out of a science fiction novel. I am pretty excited to see where it ends up on the lap board. Gotta love a car that is built on the cutting edge of technology with the sole reason to be the closest thing to an ICBM.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Cheese, Bacon, and/or Bell Pepper would make more sense than Strawberries.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Djarum posted:

It is like peanut butter or maple syrup...you won't see it anywhere but the US.

What?

And from some lazy googling it looks like the 4C is wider than a Range Rover Sport, so maybe they didn't completely make that fact up.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

jammyozzy posted:

What?

And from some lazy googling it looks like the 4C is wider than a Range Rover Sport, so maybe they didn't completely make that fact up.

Maple syrup and peanut butter are fairly rare outside of North America.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Data Graham posted:

Cheese is awesome and it improves nearly anything. What examples do you find implausible?

Also I can think of at least one other country where maple syrup can be found.

I know its a thing in lots of places, but that is one of the few things I can not get behind putting cheese on.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Negromancer posted:

I know its a thing in lots of places, but that is one of the few things I can not get behind putting cheese on.

That's way overdone but a nice piece of cheddar with apple pie is nice.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

hopterque posted:

That's way overdone but a nice piece of cheddar with apple pie is nice.

I'm American and I love cheese but I've never heard of this or seen it anywhere. Then again I just don't like apple pie so maybe I've just never been exposed to it.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

jammyozzy posted:

It is not. Not even close.

Range Rover Sport: http://www.landrover.com/content/us/pdf/l494-pdf
With mirrors: 2.22 m
Without mirrors: 2.07 m

Alfa 4C:
With mirrors: 2.09 m
Without mirrors: 1.86 m

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

HotCanadianChick posted:

And the best Italian car of all time was also 4WD - the Lancia Delta HF Integrale

AHAHAHAHAHAHA

No - It's actually quite awful. When the Japanese worked out AWD AND worked out they needed to spend real money to win, it got it's teeth kicked in.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

GutBomb posted:

I'm American and I love cheese but I've never heard of this or seen it anywhere. Then again I just don't like apple pie so maybe I've just never been exposed to it.

Some cheese with a tart apple goes well on a cracker, but I think the above example is taking it a little far.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

GutBomb posted:

Maple syrup and peanut butter are fairly rare outside of North America.
No, please, tell me more.

echoplex posted:

Some cheese with a tart apple goes well on a cracker, but I think the above example is taking it a little far.
Bit of cheddar goes well with a fruit cake too.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'd be sad without peanut butter. You poor bastards.

The show has gotten less funny and more staged over the past few seasons. Hopefully they cut more of that poo poo out and have more good segments like the P1 part.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

GutBomb posted:

I just don't like apple pie

The gently caress is wrong with you?

I kid, but still...

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Galler posted:

I've run into a few prepay only places/pumps but I always use a credit card so I've only had to actually go inside and prepay once when the station had old pumps that didn't take credit cards. Not sure what shithole they went to that paying for gas was so complicated.

lots of places do this, it's to prevent people driving off without paying for gas.

also I very much enjoyed that episode.

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST
I hate apple pie as well. And baseball. And puppies. And blue skies. And not war (when there's not a war).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

GutBomb posted:

It's apparently more common in the northeast. Not sure where you're located. I've lived nearly all my life in Iowa and Tennessee and have never seen it done.

There is a local restaurant that shoves a full slice of apple pie in a blender with ice cream to make the greatest milk shake known to man though.