Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Is there a documentary of Herb Abrams's UWF out there somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
When's the last time anybody used brass knuckles in WWE? Did their disappearance (if there truly was a disappearance) coincide with the switch to PG, or did it have something to do with the legality of brass knuckles in general?

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
I remember they never called them brass knuckles. It was always brass knux. I always felt they called them that as a legality loophole thing.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Castomira posted:

When's the last time anybody used brass knuckles in WWE? Did their disappearance (if there truly was a disappearance) coincide with the switch to PG, or did it have something to do with the legality of brass knuckles in general?

The last time I remember is Floyd Mayweather using them on Big Show at WrestleMania XXIV. It's probably more of a PG thing than a legal thing. At least in the States, they're regulated on a local level, so it depends where the show would be.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I'm pretty sure that regardless of legality, characters on a fictional scripted fake fighting show could still use them if they wanted to.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

It's cheaper to tape a roll of quarters to a wristband & call it "knux" than it is to actually find legit brass knuckles and deal with the questionable legality of possession on a state-by-state basis (let alone trying to fly with them).

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I am surprised that California seems to have outlawed knuckles as well as devices made to look like brass knuckles. They should do a police raid on some prop departments.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

epitasis posted:

I am surprised that California seems to have outlawed knuckles as well as devices made to look like brass knuckles. They should do a police raid on some prop departments.

iirc, prop departments and film armories get legal exemption in CA

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

oldskool posted:

It's cheaper to tape a roll of quarters to a wristband & call it "knux" than it is to actually find legit brass knuckles and deal with the questionable legality of possession on a state-by-state basis (let alone trying to fly with them).

Especially since, by logic, if someone is using knux in wrestling, you intentionally don't want to show them off. So anything roughly the same size that can be worn on the hand works.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

LvK posted:

iirc, prop departments and film armories get legal exemption in CA

That makes sense but is far less interesting.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I swear half the time wrestlers got knuckles out if their tights they just mimed the whole thing with an empty hand anyways.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Lawler and Flair did that a lot. The dreaded Phantom Foreign Object.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
William Regal had some brass knuckles that were featured prominently on camera several times. I don't think he's used them in quite some time, though.

One that annoyed me was HHH's sledgehammer. Why even have it out there if you can't use it properly without killing somebody? It always looked so awkward the way he'd cover the head with his hand to ram it into somebody's gut.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Although that one time he actually bonked Undertaker with it out of a Last Ride looked really impressive.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ghostpilot posted:

William Regal had some brass knuckles that were featured prominently on camera several times. I don't think he's used them in quite some time, though.

One that annoyed me was HHH's sledgehammer. Why even have it out there if you can't use it properly without killing somebody? It always looked so awkward the way he'd cover the head with his hand to ram it into somebody's gut.

I believe somebody on DVDVR once said something to the effect of "How much of a pussy do you have to be to use a sledgehammer as long as HHH has and not accidentally kill a guy at least once?"

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...
How do you protect yourself from a sledgehammer?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I always wondered why they didn't just make a gimmicked hammer that he could actually swing, instead of doing the obvious bullshit "shunt into the gut".

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There was that seemingly horridly overbooked buried alive tag match between 'Taker + Big Show vs Mankind and Rock, where Trips gave Show a beastly looking clonk to the base of his skull. And then Stone Cold jumped out of the ambulance because that match needed more star power.

I mean, that match owned but has there been many matches that involve pretty much every big name of the era like that one on a RAW/Smackdown?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Castomira posted:

If I were to guess, I'd say that Vince decided they were "too wrasslin". Seems like the type of old-school spot Vince would put the kabosh on.

FishBulb posted:

I swear half the time wrestlers got knuckles out if their tights they just mimed the whole thing with an empty hand anyways.
Or maybe it was this, and they realized it would look too silly in HD broadcasts.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Aurain posted:

There was that seemingly horridly overbooked buried alive tag match between 'Taker + Big Show vs Mankind and Rock, where Trips gave Show a beastly looking clonk to the base of his skull. And then Stone Cold jumped out of the ambulance because that match needed more star power.

I mean, that match owned but has there been many matches that involve pretty much every big name of the era like that one on a RAW/Smackdown?
Here is a women's title match that had interference from the Hardy Boyz, Kurt Angle, Triple H, and The Rock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yRmpA5Wc88

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

VogeGandire posted:

I always wondered why they didn't just make a gimmicked hammer that he could actually swing, instead of doing the obvious bullshit "shunt into the gut".

I definitely remember a gimmicked rubber sledgehammer at some point in the early 2000s that bent when HHH swung it.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Aurain posted:

The Armageddon Hell in a Cell in 2000 had pretty much every top active name in the company: Kurt Angle vs. Stone Cold vs. Rock vs. Triple H vs. Undertaker vs. Actually Being Pushed as a Top Heel Rikishi. Plus Vince and Mick Foley both ran in on it.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

TL posted:

The Armageddon Hell in a Cell in 2000 had pretty much every top active name in the company: Kurt Angle vs. Stone Cold vs. Rock vs. Triple H vs. Undertaker vs. Actually Being Pushed as a Top Heel Rikishi. Plus Vince and Mick Foley both ran in on it.

This is the one where Rikishi get's back body dropped off of the cell into a dump truck right? That match owned.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Ghostpilot posted:

Regal hasn't used the Power of the Punch since he hit Flair on NYE 2007, unless he's pulled it out in NXT. I don't think he needs them anymore since he apparently stole the Power of the Elbow from Kassius Ohno.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Professor Funk posted:

This is the one where Rikishi get's back body dropped off of the cell into a dump truck right? That match owned.

He took a straight flatback bump. It looks really dumb. The sawdust even flies up around him when he lands so the people in the cheap seats can see how it was gimmicked. Maybe the most overbooked match ever with Vince driving a truck into the arena in the middle of it and then Commissioner Foley doing a run-in.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

epitasis posted:

He took a straight flatback bump. It looks really dumb. The sawdust even flies up around him when he lands so the people in the cheap seats can see how it was gimmicked. Maybe the most overbooked match ever with Vince driving a truck into the arena in the middle of it and then Commissioner Foley doing a run-in.

Yeah, it's so hilariously overbooked which is why it owns.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

How do you protect yourself from a sledgehammer?

Grab the haft during a swing and hope you don't catch the head on your arm while you do it. Basically a sledgehammer is a bad weapon for wrestling because there's no way to do it right without it either looking stupid or being insanely dangerous.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
There was that period during Sheamus's title run where he was hitting people with a steel pipe. I liked that a lot more, it's way more realistic of a weapon, but he stopped using it because Triple H.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

As I recall, one of the few times HHH used a gimmicked sledgehammer, he legit popped out one of Mick Foley's kneecaps.

I remember this because after the refs threw the "X" for real medics, Trips came back out and kept attacking Mick to give a storyline reason why he was going away. It's the little things like that that make me love him

(mick foley that is :devil: )

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

VogeGandire posted:

If it was gimmicked and made of rubber it would be so obvious when swung because it would noticeably bend and look terrible on TV.

Plus, it would look absolutely hosed to watch every time because, as one guy in the theatre said during WrestleMania 28 when HHH went to swing at Undertaker's head "He was going to kill the guy!".

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I imagine the process of making a gimmick sledgehammer would use a sturdy material or straight up regular sledgehammer handle to prevent it flexing, but a hollowed out plastic head decorated to look like metal, but won't hurt that much when actually hitting some one pretty gently, but hard enough to make the hit look real.

I always thought the sledgehammer was one of the more irresponsible weapons they used on the WWE. Some kid grabbing one of those and hitting a mate with it is going to do infinite amounts more damage than a chair.
I guess they have to let H'y boy have his toys though.

e: not that a chair wouldn't hurt, It's just not a sledgehammer.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 11, 2014

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Justin Godscock posted:

If it was gimmicked and made of rubber it would be so obvious when swung because it would noticeably bend and look terrible on TV.

Plus, it would look absolutely hosed to watch every time because, as one guy in the theatre said during WrestleMania 28 when HHH went to swing at Undertaker's head "He was going to kill the guy!".

Foam rubber around a plastic core, like a LARP weapon. Rigid and looks realistic, hits like a wiffleball bat.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Aurain posted:

e: not that a chair wouldn't hurt, It's just not a sledgehammer.

I've worked with a sledge before both to break up brick and rock to make gravel and to take down walls and yeah, a sledge will straight murder someone if you hit them full force with it, either by just completely shattering the skull or spine depending on where you hit, or by causing massive internal bleeding from trauma. HHH's looks like a long handle 5 pounder, but to put that in perspective, many extant war hammers used as actual weapons during the middle ages weigh between 3 and 7 pounds.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, the sledgehammer has always seemed like a silly prop because anyone who has ever held one knows its a lethal weapon. I know a chair shot would hurt like hell but that's still within the realm of wrestling's established suspension of disbelief. A sledgehammer is just so over the top it feels cartoony. And as silly as HHH's patented covered shot with the hammer is if he ever started swinging a gimmicked one I'd just laugh at it instead of take it seriously.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bigass Moth posted:

I definitely remember a gimmicked rubber sledgehammer at some point in the early 2000s that bent when HHH swung it.

He used one in HBK's comeback match. As I recall, he leans on it at one point, and it's so, so clearly fake that he should've tossed it and started hitting Shawn with his mineral water, for all the difference it'd make in suspension of disbelief.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
That would be a bad idea. Considering how the Road Warrior Hawk and Roberts/Lawler angles were received, they probably don't want to call attention to HHH's drinking problem.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
How much of the Forever Hardcore DVD was bullshit? It seems like they gloss over a lot and tend to paint everyone in the best possible light.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Mike Quackenbush just did a Reddit AMA and he and the Redditors kept namedropping Chris Masters like he completely poo poo the bed in some way when he did an AMA. What are they talking about?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Gavok posted:

Mike Quackenbush just did a Reddit AMA and he and the Redditors kept namedropping Chris Masters like he completely poo poo the bed in some way when he did an AMA. What are they talking about?

Basically, people would ask questions and instead of replying to that comment thread, Masters would just post another comment thread with the answer.

So instead of it being:

Who was your favourite opponent?
- Shawn Michaels

Who was your favourite tag partner?
- Carlito

It was:

Who was your favourite opponent?
Who was your faovurite tag partner?
Shawn Michaels
Carlito

Imagine that but way more disorganized. He eventually got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

How dare Chris Masters not understand the deep intricacies of Reddit.