Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I like how easy it is to check how new an account is in mm. Set your profile to private all you want. Haha, what a farce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
With the exception of Eddie and myself, we're gonna be using aliases on this job. Under no circumstances do I want any one of you to relate to each other by your Christian names. And I don't want any talk about yourself personally. That includes: where ya been, your wife's name, where you might've done time, or a bank maybe you robbed in St. Petersburg.

All I want you guys to talk about, if you have to, is what you're gonna do.

Gristley Bear
May 16, 2007

METAL
I got this aug right?

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
I never asked for this.

Unbound fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Feb 11, 2014

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
Can we stop with the roll of unfunny AUG puns now

Jellidelic
Nov 28, 2011

Cowabanga posted:

It's a form of protest

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Cowabanga posted:

I haven't laughed at a single one :downsrim:

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

kcer posted:

I haven't laughed at a single one :downsrim:

okay this one made me giggle, good job

Going back to talking about csgo, I'm a silver elite at 43 wins, how bad is that? (I assume it would pretty terrible)

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

It's pretty augful.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
The # of wins doesn't really matter. If you start consistently winning though you will rank up eventually.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

astr0man posted:

The # of wins doesn't really matter. If you start consistently winning though you will rank up eventually.

Yeah well sadly I play in the EU region and I'm bound to be matchmade with russians all the time. Only 1 in 50 russians communincate in English.

e: just had a fun match where we lost 1-15 with some dude who was obviously walling woo gotta love EU

ass fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 11, 2014

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cowabanga posted:

okay this one made me giggle, good job

Going back to talking about csgo, I'm a silver elite at 43 wins, how bad is that? (I assume it would pretty terrible)

I've got you beat, I'm so bad that the game gave me a rank before I even had 10 wins. Silver IV for me, I get to try hard to do smart buys while my team will call "eco" and buy MP9s and armor without helm.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Twerk from Home posted:

I've got you beat, I'm so bad that the game gave me a rank before I even had 10 wins. Silver IV for me, I get to try hard to do smart buys while my team will call "eco" and buy MP9s and armor without helm.

You can skimp on the helmets if you're CT pretty often as the Ts should all have weapons that 1HK anyways. Of course this doesn't apply at the silver ranks where who knows what the gently caress the other team is buying.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Playing in silver is a blessing and a curse. They're too dumb to look away from a flashbang so fake flashing them with a decoy is actually less likely to net you a kill than if they were nova or guardian.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Twerk from Home posted:

How is that really bad? I took 10 wins to get Silver III, and some other goon said he was like Silver I.

I'm up to Silver Elite Master Sergeant or whatever after just like 20-30 wins though, so I guess I'm learning.

Lower silver is kinda frustrating because your teams are so inconsistent, even if you play well you may loose. But you should also get tons of kills and rank up fast.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
He meant that it is bad that he got ranked before he got to 10 wins. Under normal circumstances your rank is always hidden until you reach 10 wins on your account. But in the rare case that you just lose a shitton of matches and still haven't reached 10 wins sometimes it will just give you your rank anyways. Basically you get ranked at 10 wins or some arbitrarily high number of losses, whichever comes first.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

astr0man posted:

But in the rare case that you just lose a shitton of matches and still haven't reached 10 wins sometimes it will just give you your rank anyways. Basically you get ranked at 10 wins or some arbitrarily high number of losses, whichever comes first.

This is exactly what happened to me. My other terrible friends and I queue with one friend of ours who is DMG, and it turns out that the correct team to play against one DMG and 4 low silvers are all Gold Nova Master or higher. I think I probably have 25+ losses to my 8 wins.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
If you are queueing with a wide range of ranks you will more often then not end up losing, unless your highest ranked player is really really good at carrying. The MM ranking system is really designed to only work for solo players rather than parties.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Or parties of players with equal ranks.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

MM is hilarious because last night we played against a team of low master guardians or whatever and a 1.6 pro formerly of fnatic.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
carn?

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Dvsilverwing posted:

It was going to be the last round (they had 15) and my team had called them as rushing mid and banana, why would I be checking corners in Apts?

I am a bad player, it just looked weird to be entering aps as T and just blowing through it without a care in the world. I'm just jelly.

Also I didn't know that your teammates already told you where everybody was. I was not properly informed.

aksuur
Nov 9, 2003
1v4 clutch on de_mirage from last night. /brag

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

aksuur posted:

Let me know when you do a 1v5 ace clutch with 35hp. Then I'll be impressed. :smug:

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Found you have to go alone

aksuur posted:

Very nice. Bonus points for killing Hoods, that's worth a video in an of itself.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Hoods is trash. :colbert:

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Awesome Welles posted:

Water wet sky blue hoods trash

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Found you have to go alone

Awesome Welles posted:

I actually thought he retired?

Xen, confirm?

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

You're a dick

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Cowabanga posted:

Yeah well sadly I play in the EU region and I'm bound to be matchmade with russians all the time. Only 1 in 50 russians communincate in English.

e: just had a fun match where we lost 1-15 with some dude who was obviously walling woo gotta love EU

The best way to not get better is assume you're doing everything right and your teammates are causing all of your losses. You're as bad as your teammates, that's why you're ranked together.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

Let me know when you finish a clutch ace with 1hp and 0 bullets remaining. Then I'll be impressed. :smug:

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
So many p90s on round 21.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Bashez posted:

The best way to not get better is assume you're doing everything right and your teammates are causing all of your losses. You're as bad as your teammates, that's why you're ranked together.

One of the reasons I like playing matchmaking is the ease of access to demos. Of course all of this could be done manually, but I'm lazy and generally never watch recorded demos unless something really interesting happens. But now if I don't feel like playing I'll just start watching some demos of myself or other players to see where I went wrong or why other players were doing so well.

I like to play with my Silver 2 friend sometimes, and I'm usually floating between the Eagle ranks. Even in those games where I'm expected to carry, I make big mistakes because I'm either too confident or playing too carefully. All it takes is one quick review of my own perspective to see new things.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Use of P90 disqualifies this video from being any good. You also didn't plant the bomb and you were defending the site with teammates still intact. JUST SAYING. :colbert:

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Question on Casual MM Inferno: When CT and you rush B to lock down Banana (and not as many Ts are coming through as you'd expect), I usually rush back to spawn (assuming all the CTs stuck around Banana and I can consider it covered) and then head through Arch or Kitchen/Library to try and lock down A.

1. Is this a smart or terrible move?
2. Where are the Ts likely to be moving from/towards at this point? Are they coming from Middle, Apartments, etc...? Also which entry is going to give me a better cover/vantage point (Arch, Library, or doesn't it matter)? If they actually have time to reach A before I do, are they likely to be in Pit, Graveyard, within the bombsite, etc...?

I've just been feeling a lot of stuff out and coming to my own common-sense conclusions (based on pattern) but this scenario has been coming up a TON lately and I want to know if I can be doing something better.

(and don't say "don't solo-queue MM") :wink:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

The Joe Man posted:

Question on Casual MM Inferno: When CT and you rush B to lock down Banana (and not as many Ts are coming through as you'd expect), I usually rush back to spawn (assuming all the CTs stuck around Banana and I can consider it covered) and then head through Arch or Kitchen/Library to try and lock down A.

1. Is this a smart or terrible move?
2. Where are the Ts likely to be moving from/towards at this point? Are they coming from Middle, Apartments, etc...? Also which entry is going to give me a better cover/vantage point (Arch, Library, or doesn't it matter)? If they actually have time to reach A before I do, are they likely to be in Pit, Graveyard, within the bombsite, etc...?

I've just been feeling a lot of stuff out and coming to my own common-sense conclusions (based on pattern) but this scenario has been coming up a TON lately and I want to know if I can be doing something better.

(and don't say "don't solo-queue MM") :wink:

Have you tried running around randomly with no sense of direction or purpose? That should get you into Master Guardian.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

The Joe Man posted:

It don't work like that. You are making huge plans based off of nothing, there is no context here, etc.

Play the map a bunch of times, guarding the same site/general spot. Look at the clock and mentally note where they -can- be.

Also, I don't really understand what you mean. Should you rotate off of banana, if nobody is on banana, and Ts are attacking A? Yeah, that's a fine idea.

Communication can be lackluster in solo queueing so you gotta utilize the radar to figure out where people are at. Second, the grand strategy of the game isn't really something i'd think too hard about when you are solo queueing.

edit- Holy crap I just read that this is casual. No trolling the CS GO thread m8. :(

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

40 OZ posted:

I am a bad player, it just looked weird to be entering aps as T and just blowing through it without a care in the world. I'm just jelly.

Also I didn't know that your teammates already told you where everybody was. I was not properly informed.

It's okay, voice_enable 0 while recording the demo. Plus it kind of looks like on the Goonman dead talk might be off, so I can see why that would look weird (it's on in esea pugs).

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
:siren: If you get into a goonman and can't follow the advice in the OP I WILL yell at you! :siren:

:supaburn: If you proceed to sass me for trying to give you advice I WILL ban you would have banned you on wex :supaburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoiceOfIntuition
Apr 11, 2009

The Joe Man posted:

Question on Casual MM Inferno:

The correct move on a casual server is push everything and shoot everyone in the head.

For a competitive match, I would suggest smoking bottom banana near t mid and hold (or just hold) until something happens. The map timing makes it so that terrorists can switch sites faster than you can so just holding banana avoids you having to run lines back and forth from the two bombsites. (You rotate through mid if they go A)

• Locked thread