Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

BlitzBlast posted:

At least read the final battle of part 2 so you can experience the full glory of SEX: USELESS.
Obligatory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1jp0Dxa9tQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

As someone who has only seen the anime, should I just wait for Stardust Crusaders to get animated or just dive into the manga? If I do read the manga can I just start there or do I need to go back and actually read Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency because of anime compression and such.

I can't remember what was cut from part one if anything but the two things cut from battle tendency are Joseph intimidating some guys by killing a bunch of flies with his goggles and him stopping a pickpocket then spraying said pickpocket with mustard. I really like part two but you would be fine jumping straight to stardust crusaders.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Part one opens with some random aztec dude stabbing a sacrifice and turning into a vampire, and they also cut down the childhood bit. There's also a really boring and short fight between Jonathan and the chinese sterotype right before or after Jack the ripper.

plus kid Jonathan smokes a pipe

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

dudermcbrohan posted:

I can't remember what was cut from part one if anything but the two things cut from battle tendency are Joseph intimidating some guys by killing a bunch of flies with his goggles and him stopping a pickpocket then spraying said pickpocket with mustard. I really like part two but you would be fine jumping straight to stardust crusaders.
There was also the bit with Joseph and Caesar go to the post office to get back the package with the Red Stone of Asia and wind up bullying a clerk who was just doing his job.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

ArcadePark posted:

I still stand by my opinions, because there is very little connectivity. Part 3 is still enjoyable without reading about vampires and pillarmen. And Part 3 is still a blast to read. The anime shouldn't discourage anybody.

How are you supposed to love to hate Dio in Stardust Crusaders if you don't read/watch Phantom Blood ? :colbert:

Without context, he's just that evil guy who killed one of the ancestors of the hero, but who cares right.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Without the backstory from Phantom Blood, Dio is kind of underwhelming for most of Stardust Crusaders. He spends most of the arc reading in bed while sending his minions against the heroes 1-2 at a time for some reason. People tend to forget that because he acquits himself well during the final fight.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

As someone who has only seen the anime, should I just wait for Stardust Crusaders to get animated or just dive into the manga? If I do read the manga can I just start there or do I need to go back and actually read Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency because of anime compression and such.

In short, go ahead and read the manga for parts 1 & 2. Both are decently paced and don't overstay their welcome (which is more than I can say for part 7). The backstory you get is crucial for a few components of Part 3 and the action is great.
You can draw your own conclusion of whether or not they were relevant afterwards.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Happy commercially driven romance day

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

legendsuper posted:

How are you supposed to love to hate Dio in Stardust Crusaders if you don't read/watch Phantom Blood ? :colbert:

Without context, he's just that evil guy who killed one of the ancestors of the hero, but who cares right.

Actually even if you just read Stardust Crusaders it's made very apparent Dio is longtime enemy of the Joestar family and that he is someone to be reckoned with. Of course without context you don't have as much reason to invest much thought into him until D'Arby, but it's not like they just say "Jotaro he killed my granddad." "Sweet, when do we kill vampires?"

Silver2195 posted:

Without the backstory from Phantom Blood, Dio is kind of underwhelming for most of Stardust Crusaders. He spends most of the arc reading in bed while sending his minions against the heroes 1-2 at a time for some reason. People tend to forget that because he acquits himself well during the final fight.

Dio actually does a lot of generic villain in waiting stuff too like controlling people to work for him, but you also get an idea from people in general that he is extremely charismatic. Even before Hol Horse confronts Dio, people like Avdol, N'Doul, and even D'Arby were taken in by charisma and in the case of D'Arby lose their loving minds should they be put into a situation where they become his enemy.

Like Dio is very much a villain in waiting for most of Part 3, but it's not like Araki did nothing to build him, he's very much treated as A BIG DEAL by everyone.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Pomp posted:

Happy commercially driven romance day

I remember seeing a Youtube video where Joseph has the most disgusted look on his face after realizing his mother is Lisa Lisa. Anyone got a link to it?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

SunAndSpring posted:

I remember seeing a Youtube video where Joseph has the most disgusted look on his face after realizing his mother is Lisa Lisa. Anyone got a link to it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rhNdQMUMeg

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

That's the one. I wonder if that look on his face was intentional or not.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Uhh so I got to 160-something in part 3 and the only translations are the really bad quality ones.

Am I out of luck?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You're outta luck until the last three volumes

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Thoren posted:

Uhh so I got to 160-something in part 3 and the only translations are the really bad quality ones.

Am I out of luck?
Parts 4 and 5 also have lovely scans (4's is at least endearingly lovely) that have 2/3-finished rescans that will probably never be completed.

It's the one and only caveat I have when suggesting people read Jojo.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
Other than the re-scans of part four and the first volume of part 5, parts 3-6 have kinda bad scans and 3-5 have bad translations.

dudermcbrohan fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Feb 15, 2014

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

SunAndSpring posted:

That's the one. I wonder if that look on his face was intentional or not.
You'd have to check the blu-ray version. They've fixed less weird looking faces.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

dudermcbrohan posted:

Other than the re-scans of part four and the first volume of part 5, parts 3-6 have kinda bad scans and 3-5 have bad translations.

Part four is almost done it's only missing two volumes, so it shouldn't really be counted in either camp. Especially since the invincible trio's TL is pretty decent.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Uznare posted:

Part four is almost done it's only missing two volumes, so it shouldn't really be counted in either camp. Especially since the invincible trio's TL is pretty decent.

Yeah, DUWANG really isn't an excuse for skipping P4 now, especially since by the last couple volumes it's not entirely gibberish anymore.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
How accurate is the Stone Ocean translation, separate from how awkward and stilted it is?

Lintwhite
Oct 15, 2007

I just finished reading all of the Rohan side stories and I have something that puzzled me: how did Tonio survive the whole thing with almost drowning while they were poaching? It made me wonder if Heaven's Door can be used to "rewrite" someone's current state of being or something.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Pomp posted:

How accurate is the Stone Ocean translation, separate from how awkward and stilted it is?

I've heard the translation on Stone Ocean is actually good, but the scans are terrrrrrrible a few times.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013

Uznare posted:

I didn't realize part four was that far ahead.

Yardbomb posted:

I've heard the translation on Stone Ocean is actually good, but the scans are terrrrrrrible a few times.

It's a small thing but the ABAJs in stone ocean kinda bothered me.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Yardbomb posted:

Yeah, DUWANG really isn't an excuse for skipping P4 now, especially since by the last couple volumes it's not entirely gibberish anymore.

Duwang is the true Part 4 experience and I will have no one say otherwise. :colbert:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Momomo posted:

Duwang is the true Part 4 experience and I will have no one say otherwise. :colbert:

Nothing better :v:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Yeah I really don't understand why people cite duwang as a reason to not read part 4. The writing is amazing. :allears:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
There must be no other translation as pretty as this duwang.

chew

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
The Duwang translation is indeed entertainingly bad, but I've already spent the 80s and 90s and 00s reading lovely scanslations of mango because official releases of anything were so uncommon. I'm not going to subject myself to any more of that if I can help it.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I decided to finish Part 3 with the bad translations. gently caress it.

I'll just hold off on Part 4 and the rest.

I actually read Parts 1 & 2 years ago, each years apart. It bugs me how ripple became irrelevant now.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The Ripple just cut out the middleman and developed its own punching fists.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Since it's apparently accurate, but very awkwardly written, I've decided I want to go through the Jojo Project Stone Ocean translation and try to make it sound more natural. I got through volume 2 before I was sick of every other line being something no native english speaking human would ever say. I, however, don't have a god drat clue what the etiquette or expectations are for something like this in the translation scene. Is this an out of the question taboo, even with full credit given to the original translation?

Either way, I've gone ahead and did a sort of quick (I've used GIMP once ever before, this actually took two hours) and very dirty edit of the first couple of pages.

edit: Also, does anybody know the name of the font that the translation uses?

Pomp fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Feb 17, 2014

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Pomp posted:

Is this an out of the question taboo, even with full credit given to the original translation?

Who cares, it's an illegal scan of the manga anyway.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

jonjonaug posted:

Who cares, it's an illegal scan of the manga anyway.
It's the only way in the world to get Jojo in English. If there are ever any more official releases, most of the people in this thread will buy them.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It may be justified pirating but it's still pirating.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Soulcleaver posted:

It's the only way in the world to get Jojo in English. If there are ever any more official releases, most of the people in this thread will buy them.

I think his point was more that it's silly of me to worry about getting poo poo for editing something that's illegal in the first place.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah, pretty much that.

As far as editing and stuff, I think you should try to trim down/even out the amount of words in each text bubble a bit. Like on the bottom of page three, where Hermes is trying to remember Jolyne's name, maybe making the text bubbles read like this:

"What are you-? What's your name again? It's Jo... Jolyne, right?"

"What about that guard? You said he saw something? What was it?"

Doing that will make the second bubble a lot easier to read, as well as making the two bubbles more balanced on that panel. I like keeping two topics separated while you can, and it fits the page more due to both bubbles being around the same size, and now having around the same number of words. You can feel free to edit the actual content to fit the character more, but it is good to try to keep the text on the page as even as possible for consistencies sake.

As far as font goes, I can't tell you the one that the original translation used, but I would suggest just getting something bolder over all so when you have to use small font, it will be easier to read.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

If you're going over the Jojo project translations, please remove the overuse of 「japanese quotation marks」. It sounds kinda 「cool」 for stuff like 「stand」 names but their use of it is 「loving stupid」 and 「overused」. Nobody 「talks」 like this in 「english」 and it often gets as bad as 「several」 in a single 「speech bubble」

e: Actually now that I think about it I can't remember if they started doing that with part 6, or if that's only been for the part 5/7/8 stuff they've done. Point stands.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Don't be hating [brackets].

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

darealkooky posted:

If you're going over the Jojo project translations, please remove the overuse of 「japanese quotation marks」. It sounds kinda 「cool」 for stuff like 「stand」 names but their use of it is 「loving stupid」 and 「overused」. Nobody 「talks」 like this in 「english」 and it often gets as bad as 「several」 in a single 「speech bubble」

e: Actually now that I think about it I can't remember if they started doing that with part 6, or if that's only been for the part 5/7/8 stuff they've done. Point stands.

That's in the original dialog which is why it's there in the first place. I really dobut they'd keep adding them if they weren't there. Also JoJo Project has only done some parts of 6, most of 7 and like two volumes of 5.

If you notice they're all over the place in Jojolion which has never been touched by JoJo Project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
If the translator is going to keep the "overuse" of "quotation marks" that are in the original version then I'd prefer they use the square brackets. Way more fun.

• Locked thread