Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

CheesyDog posted:

Hmm, that seems a bit inconsistent with:

Why did you cut off the second half of my quote? Why didn't you post the whole thing?

Oh wait I think I know why.

quote:

Thankfully the facts are still on my side (for now anyways) since during Obama's first 4 years in office there were 8 times as many federal raids on medical marijuana facilities as there were in all 8 years of Bush. I think it's safe to say Obama's comments were just for show since his actions on this position haven't changed a bit (thank god).

Yep, nothing inconsistent about my support of Obama. Nice try though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

District Selectman posted:

an edibles food truck?
not legal

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

NathanScottPhillips posted:

No way that would be legal currently. Marijuana sales are strictly regulated and no one can even apply to be a retail marijuana seller unless they are already a MMJ dispensary owner. Add on top of that that you'd be basically selling on the street where currently the marijuana must be behind locked doors and customers must have their IDs checked before being allowed inside.

Some new business ideas would be private clubs; I've already seen ads for cannabis-friendly strip clubs. I'd think there might be a way to set up a cigar lounge type deal where people pay for a club membership and can smoke weed inside. It is currently prohibited for cannabis to be consumed on any business property, so I'm not sure how you'd organize it to get by. There's nothing prohibiting a business like that from having a deal with a retail store across the street to give discounts to their members, either.

But hypothetically, if I knew someone who owned a dispensary...because I have a few friend of a friend type connections out there to various dispensaries.

There are after hours "clubs" here in Philly that let you drink past the standard 2AM closing time. They charge a fee to become "private members", and that somehow makes it legal. That's interesting.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

District Selectman posted:

But hypothetically, if I knew someone who owned a dispensary...because I have a few friend of a friend type connections out there to various dispensaries.
colorado law simply doesn't provide any legal method to sell weed out of a truck.

there are no "clubs" because there isn't any money in it. you can't consume on the premises of anywhere that sells marijuana and you can't smoke inside bars under the clean indoor air act. cigar bars and hookah lounges have an exemption that isn't available to marijuana smoke. also, they are able to sell customers the thing that they are smoking.

we have enough idiots with half-assed "weed business" ideas in this state already. i recommend you stick with your day job.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

End of the day, the law is a conglomeration of many rules by many people. It's never going to be wholly consistent, and neither is the process of reforming it. Ultimately, whether or not one supports a given law is a moral, and therefore an individual, decision.

Totally this, I know my support for laws is based on a moral judgement rather than whether I prefer Team State or Team Fed.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Why did you cut off the second half of my quote? Why didn't you post the whole thing?

Oh wait I think I know why.

Yep, nothing inconsistent about my support of Obama. Nice try though.

So, you're saying that rhetoric is less important to you than the end result, even if that rhetoric is at odds with your other stated beliefs. Oddly, that seems inconsistent with your criticisms in this thread!

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

You should start an emergency service that people can call when they get too high and would otherwise call a real emergency service. You could have a car with a siren and bring people ice water and cartoons.
Yeah there is probably a big market for this now. Good vibes on delivery.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Is there a legalization thread in GBS 1.XX or TCC that i can follow? On this subject i think i prefer a forum where everyone is in agreement. Its like debating the pros and cons of interracial marriage legalization.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Feb 11, 2014

Megaman
May 8, 2004
I didn't read the thread BUT...

Salt Fish posted:

You should start an emergency service that people can call when they get too high and would otherwise call a real emergency service. You could have a car with a siren and bring people ice water and cartoons.

I would totally pay for someone to come comfort me with oreos, cartoons, ice water, and repeated "you're ok, you just got way too high" when I get too high for my own good

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Is there a legalization thread in GBS 1.XX or TCC that i can follow? On this subject i think i prefer a forum where everyone is in agreement. Its like debating the pros and cons of interracial marriage legalization.
The only people who are against marijuana legalization in this thread are trolling.

Megaman
May 8, 2004
I didn't read the thread BUT...

The only people who are against marijuana legalization in this thread are trolling.

I am against it. If by against you mean I suck it through a bong.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Moktaro posted:

Totally this, I know my support for laws is based on a moral judgement rather than whether I prefer Team State or Team Fed.

Yeah but we couldn't program your "moral judgments" into the supercomputer which administers the Martian Federation, so

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Megaman posted:

I would totally pay for someone to come comfort me with oreos, cartoons, ice water, and repeated "you're ok, you just got way too high" when I get too high for my own good

Do people still do that? Like it seems like after you've gotten high a few times you kind of figure that poo poo out. If you are still getting "too high" you may want to take a break.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Seriously, is this not obvious to everyone? :stare:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Powercrazy posted:

Do people still do that? Like it seems like after you've gotten high a few times you kind of figure that poo poo out. If you are still getting "too high" you may want to take a break.

Look, you haven't lived life until you've rolled around on the floor for 10 minutes because you took too big of a dab. Also, until you've done that 50 times.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

This whole "states rights" thing with the Marijuana legalization just reeks of no-confederatism. Last time we let states trump the federal government we had slavery and a civil war. I'm afraid I have to agree with Senator Elizabeth Warren on this issue: Recreational Marijuana use should remain 100% illegal.

I'm a little pissed with Obama on this subject, what with his recent "marijuana is not as bad as alcohol" remarks. That really rubbed me the wrong way. Thankfully the facts are still on my side (for now anyways) since during Obama's first 4 years in office there were 8 times as many federal raids on medical marijuana facilities as there were in all 8 years of Bush. I think it's safe to say Obama's comments were just for show since his actions on this position haven't changed a bit (thank god).

You are so dumb I guess you didn't read the articles stating that Elizabeth warren supports medical marijuana, and my guess is she does not approve of the frequent raids on pot dispensaries.

Also, are you doubting the fact that marijuana is less dangerous than other legal drugs like alcohol and nicotine?

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Salt Fish posted:

I know places like NYC have delivery everything services. You can get McDonalds nuggets, a cupcake, and a gatorade delivered to you, for the right price.

Maybe have those delivered by moms with reassuring mom voices. Oh honey, you're fine. Now go sit down on the couch, I brought you a grilled cheese and Coke :unsmith: Thanks fake mom.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Warchicken posted:

Seriously, is this not obvious to everyone? :stare:

Take a look through the last few pages. It pretty clearly isn't to a number of people.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

MattD1zzl3 posted:

The Activism Megathread (2013 Edition)

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Salt Fish posted:

Look, you haven't lived life until you've rolled around on the floor for 10 minutes because you took too big of a dab. Also, until you've done that 50 times.

What, like, in the same night? :getin:

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Mr. Nice! posted:

Take a look through the last few pages. It pretty clearly isn't to a number of people.
It's clear to me, I was just trying to string him out for as obvious a troll reply as possible while still being generally educational to other readers re: federalism and then report that post because our mods generally need TROLL spelled out for them in refrigerator magnets.

Prosopagnosiac
May 19, 2007

One of us! One of us! Aqua Buddha! Aqua Buddha! One of us!

Elotana posted:

It's clear to me, I was just trying to string him out for as obvious a troll reply as possible while still being generally educational to other readers re: federalism and then report that post because our mods generally need TROLL spelled out for them in refrigerator magnets.

I actually enjoyed reading your posts, because they are very informative and give me a jumping off point to read about other decisions and rules about federalism vs. states rights.

And the enforcement of a given law is really key to understanding a lot of the underlying purpose of it. Hell, back in the 1820s we had other branches of the federal government actively flouting other branch's decisions. See the Trail of Tears. Congress makes a treaty with the Indian tribes, people start encroaching, the Indians take the issue to the Supreme Court, win. And then Jackson is like " Mr. Holmes has made his decision, now he can enforce it"

*proceeds to order troops to lead a death march for Native Americans across the country*

In this case, when you look at how the law has been enforced, disproportionately against blacks and people of color, you begin to see that it has historically been about disenfranchising groups that the federal government has viewed with suspicion, or outright scorn.

It will be really interesting to see this movement snowball into other states. As is happening more and more. I think that the answer to the question in the thread title is "It will spark a debate on the national level, show politicians there is popular support for such measures, and ultimately start a wave of copycat laws." Which is really the best possible outcome for the long term.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

You are so dumb I guess you didn't read the articles stating that Elizabeth warren supports medical marijuana, and my guess is she does not approve of the frequent raids on pot dispensaries.

Also, are you doubting the fact that marijuana is less dangerous than other legal drugs like alcohol and nicotine?

You are so dumb you assumed this thread was about medical marijuana and not "full marijuana legalization". Seriously dude, you didn't even read the title of the thread before posting in it? Seriously????

Google her position on marijuana legalization and get back to us. I dare you. And yes, I agree with her fully that it should be illegal forever. You disagree with her on this?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Prosopagnosiac posted:

And then Jackson is like " Mr. Holmes has made his decision, now he can enforce it"
If Jackson did say this, he probably would have been addressing Marshall, and to my knowledge there isn't good evidence he did say this. He did note that the Supreme Court lacks an enforcement arm in a case where they overturned a conviction and Georgia ignored them for some time, Worcester v. Georgia.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Elizabeth Warren is pro Israel too, doesn't mean she isn't a generally progressive (for a Democrat) Senator. So like, what is your point exactly here?

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Google her position on marijuana legalization and get back to us. I dare you. And yes, I agree with her fully that it should be illegal forever. You disagree with her on this?
This is D&D, not r/politics, Elizabeth Warren is marginally better than most Dems on some issues but generally not treated as the risen Christ around these parts. Please adjust your trolling accordingly.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

rscott posted:

Elizabeth Warren is pro Israel too, doesn't mean she isn't a generally progressive (for a Democrat) Senator. So like, what is your point exactly here?

Just fact checking Tight Booty Shorts. He called me an idiot for agreeing with Warren on Marijuana. What is your point exactly? I don't understand what you want here?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

And yes, I agree with her fully that it should be illegal forever.

Could you elaborate on what other substances should be illegal forever, just as a point of discussion?

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

mdemone posted:

Could you elaborate on what other substances should be illegal forever, just as a point of discussion?

Drugs, guns, SUV's, coal, private schools. Does that count as a "substance"?

Not sure what your point is. What substances do you want to be illegal?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Drugs, guns, SUV's, coal, private schools. Does that count as a "substance"?

Well aren't you special. Here, I'll give you a list. You tick off the ones you'd ban.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

You are so dumb you assumed this thread was about medical marijuana and not "full marijuana legalization". Seriously dude, you didn't even read the title of the thread before posting in it? Seriously????

You mentioned medical marijuana facilities in your post.

:confused:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

mdemone posted:

Well aren't you special. Here, I'll give you a list. You tick off the ones you'd ban.

*graph*

You do realize that he is just going to ask you to prove the validity of the study where that graph came from, right?

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Given all the new posts I figured something big and/or interesting had happened in regards to marijuana legalization.

Nope.

Prosopagnosiac
May 19, 2007

One of us! One of us! Aqua Buddha! Aqua Buddha! One of us!

twodot posted:

If Jackson did say this, he probably would have been addressing Marshall, and to my knowledge there isn't good evidence he did say this. He did note that the Supreme Court lacks an enforcement arm in a case where they overturned a conviction and Georgia ignored them for some time, Worcester v. Georgia.

My bad, I thought it was Holmes for some reason. The fact remains that he did what he did, in direct violation of federal law. With dire consequences for the Native Americans. Which really goes to show that the enforcement or non-enforcement of laws has a bigger impact on people's daily lives than just the laws on the books.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

You do realize that he is just going to ask you to prove the validity of the study where that graph came from, right?

I was hoping that we could just initially ignore the rankings on the right, and focus on which substances from the list he would ban. Then we could bring up the rankings if necessary, such that we can potentially avoid having the whole discussion about the methodology of a peer-reviewed meta-study.

GuyDudeBroMan, would you make benzodiazepines illegal? What about methadone? Buprenorphine? Tobacco?

What about the elephant in the room, alcohol?

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

You mentioned medical marijuana facilities in your post.

:confused:

Yes, I agree with Obama about medical marijuana. I also agree with Warren about legalization.

Any other questions?

mdemone posted:

I was hoping that we could just initially ignore the rankings on the right, and focus on which substances from the list he would ban. Then we could bring up the rankings if necessary, such that we can potentially avoid having the whole discussion about the methodology of a peer-reviewed meta-study.

GuyDudeBroMan, would you make benzodiazepines illegal? What about methadone? Buprenorphine? Tobacco?

What about the elephant in the room, alcohol?

Yes, I would like to see tobacco taxed into non-existence and hopefully eliminated from society.

Everything else on that list should be prescription only.

We are stuck with alcohol unfortunately. But that is what sin taxes are for.

So yeah, basically I agree with 90% of sitting US Senators and Congressmen on most of these issues (my tobacco stance might only be shared with 30% though, not sure). Maybe we are all secretly "trolling" you. Is that what you are trying to argue? The entire US Senate is just trolling? All the 2016 presidential hopefuls are "trolling"?

Sounds like paranoia to me.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Everything else on that list should be prescription only.

Why?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

We are stuck with alcohol unfortunately. But that is what sin taxes are for.

I agree with you that we should tax and regulate alcohol and then combine that with education to reduce alcohol use. That sounds like it might work. I'm glad that you don't think that we should try to stop alcohol use by, I don't know, imprisoning 700,000 people a year for possession. Seems like a common sense approach and I wonder if we could use this method (I call it the GuyDudeBroMan method) on any other substances.

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 11, 2014

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Clearly the way ahead on drugs is to throw people into dungeons forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Also the Martian Federation The Democratic Republic Of Kaskadija (Seattle is an eternal part of Greater Kaskadija) is governed according to Full Communism as well as a degenerate Juche ideology, taking the procedural form of a coalition of the various First Nations, workers soviets, and local women's' councils, who work together to coordinate agricultural and industrial planning. In practice however the coalition is dominated by the relatives and allies of the Generalissimo.

• Locked thread