Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Un-upgraded and with no ranks in the rifle skill, the assault rifle still makes for a devastating melee range weapon. :colbert: As for the assault rifle looking goofy, it's a bullpup gun. They all look dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I got so itchy after that science corner segment, I should have closed my eyes and not opened them. :(

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Cerebral Bore posted:

Man, I don't get the bum rap that the Assault Rifle gets. With Master level Rifle skill and a few mods it becomes a perfectly accurate silent ray o' death where you just have to point it at something's head and laugh as you bring down judgement upon the heathens. Ammo is plentiful too.

Also the alternate ammo is the bomb.

Well, like I said in the video, why the hell am I dumping points and mods into the assault rifle when the stealth pistol is one-fourth the size, has one-fifth the recoil, 57% better base DPS with a greater opportunity for damage growth, and a scope which allows pinpoint accuracy?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
So what was that weird thing with the phone in the clinic about? Could you have answered that call?

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
You can't answer. Half of the phones in the game randomly ring once, sometimes. It's like it's there to remind you that it is, in fact, a telephone.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Farecoal posted:

So what was that weird thing with the phone in the clinic about? Could you have answered that call?

No, there is only one phone in the game you can answer and the game spends most of the time up until that point teaching you that phones are just props so it wouldn't surprise me if there are still people out there who have never answered it.

I think is just startled him since he had clicked it and was told the device was locked pending investigation, then rang loudly in his ear as he was trying to hack the computer.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I like how the checklist targets forum posters or generally the type of person that would be drawn to a game like DX. I don't think it's a coincidence... They know about us save yourselves brothers

idonotlikepeas posted:

2. My "favorite" part about the Tuskegee Experiment is the end year. Listen again if you missed it: 1972. Why did it end then? Because someone leaked it to the press and they had to shut it down. If that hadn't happened, when do you think we'd have heard about it?
I think the more appropriate question would be "what experiments did they manage keep secret?" :tinfoil:

Magnetic North posted:

but curing the actual deadly diseases is proving easier than immunizing people from foolish, easily disproved nonsense.
Even if an anti-nonsense vaccine did exist, some people would still refuse to take it :v:

Psychotic Weasel posted:

there is nothing so insidious or terrifying as germ warfare and what weaponized viruses can do
So innocent :allears:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Gas grenades and pepper spray are actually all kinds of amazing, especially in non-lethal runs. It's worth mentioning that if you're trying to do non-lethal takedowns, you can actually use whatever the gently caress weapon you want until the enemy's AI panics and runs away, at which point you can bop them on the head and it counts as a knockout.

The lectures at the end of the videos are by far my favorite part. I'm learning all kinds of stuff about history and conspiracy theories. Anti-vaccination people really confuse me, since they're also the same types to accept homeopathy, which is really vaccination's evil twin. It's just so hard to believe that in the 21st century there's a significant minority of people in a first-world country with such deep mistrust of science.

And drat, this game is depressing when you're looking at its world and you're no longer a 13 year old living in the bubble of upper-middle class society. :smith:

e: Also, don't diss the flamethrower. As heavy as it is, it's amazingly ammo efficient and god drat if lighting people on fire isn't funny.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Ages ago I was making a mod for Deus Ex (which I ended up moving across to Unreal 2 instead), and I vaguely remember that scenery objects can have a sound file they play at certain (or random?) intervals. Trees for example occasionally play a 'wind blowing through a tree' sound, and phones occasionally ring, I guess.

Not all that interesting, but there you go.

On vaccines; I apparently almost died as a baby because I caught measles before I was old enough to be vaccinated against it. I was vaccinated against whooping cough, but somehow still managed to catch that when I was 16 or so. Man that was a pain; hung around for months.

So I'd join the "vaccines are a good thing" chorus. Turns out diseases are pretty lovely things!

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

inthesto posted:

e: Also, don't diss the flamethrower. As heavy as it is, it's amazingly ammo efficient and god drat if lighting people on fire isn't funny.

I remember that aiming it at that back sweet spot did extreme damage. A small tap of the mouse (3-4 units I believe) was enough to instantly do in a person in black as long as they remained unaware of you. Fun at VersaLife...

Then again I was playing on Easy.

Not Feasible
Apr 1, 2011
Can't be done.
I agree that diseases are scary as hell. I've had shingles as a small child and needless to say, it was unpleasant.
I'm also on the autistic spectrum (as are at least three other siblings of mine) but since I'm female it manifests differently than it does in males (leading psychologists & therapists to disbelieve the diagnosis). One guy who put forward "evidence" that vaccines cause autism (Andrew Wakefield) was later discovered to have falsified his data in favour of his theory but the damage and panic he has caused to parents and their children has been massive, as has been certain celebrities who shall not be named who have also had a hand in spreading this misinformation.

Getting back on track, I've always wanted to experience this game through the eyes of someone who knows what they're doing and I really appreciate this LP, Bobbin. Have heard great things about the game but never played it.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

inthesto posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mYkiWxaeyI

This video will never not make me laugh for that exact reason. Pity it's only available in stunning 240p.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

RickVoid posted:

Oh man. Somebody did their homework here. It's phrased differently (as it should be), but is close enough to the real phrasing that it should be instantly recognizable to most members of a certain fraternal organization.

That man just asked JC for help, using the Deus Ex version of a code phrase that should only ever be used when the person asking is facing imminent threat of death or bodily harm. If you hear it (and have been told what it means) you know that the requester truly needs help, and what's more, he is your Brother.

I had to do a double take when he said it.

Why so coy? It took me a couple of seconds of Googling to find out that the proper Masonic code phrase is "Oh Lord, my God, is there no help for the widow's son?" It's not exactly a deeply held secret.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Anyway, back to lighter topics. I gotta say, I never thought to use the tear gas we've collected - something designed for crowd control so you can diffuse a situation - and use it to incapacitate all the NSF guys so our UNATCO buddies can stand there an machine gun the crowd while everyone is too busy rubbing their eyes or running around choking on gas. I don't think those two troopers near the alley thought about all the possibilities to torture people with non-lethal methods before finally just getting bored and capping them.

It seems really weird how disparaging that guy is of tear gas. Even if you're going to shoot people anyway, disabling them with tear gas first makes it a hell of a lot easier.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

inthesto posted:

I watched an AGDQ run of Deus Ex recently and the runner made a point of using the flame thrower just for the NPC screaming. The screams that come out of them are far more varied and diverse than most random click-on dialogue... I assume for the burning effect the devs just pooled all the VA "fire" screams by gender and the game engine just randomly picks one?

Also going back to the LP is there a particularly devious Rube Goldberg like doom that is being plotted for Louis Pan?

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Feb 11, 2014

BladeKnife
Oct 18, 2013
In vanilla DX, simply using the laser sight mod makes any weapon 100% accurate. It makes the assault rifle really fun, basically a long-range silent laser death ray with no skill investment necessary. I personally prefer using the AR along with a sniper rifle, as then raising the rifle skill will raise both their damages. You're always going to want to use a sniper rifle anyway for the camera-destroying ability.

BladeKnife fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Feb 11, 2014

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Fabulousity posted:

I watched an AGDQ run of Deus Ex recently and the runner made a point of using the flame thrower just for the NPC screaming. The screams that come out of them are far more varied and diverse than most random click-on dialogue... I assume for the burning effect the devs just pooled all the VA "fire" screams by gender and the game engine just randomly picks one?

Also going back to the LP is there a particularly devious Rube Goldberg like doom that is being plotted for Louis Pan?

The biggest downside to the flamethrower is that it is most useful against weaker enemies (ie unarmored, organic) that you already have many tools to deal with (pistol, shotgun, tranq gun, sniper, taser, crowbar, baton, knife ...) and is useless against robotic enemies and later-game mooks.

The downside to the rocket launcher is that it doesn't leave a corpse for you to loot, which makes finding ammo for the thing more difficult (not that there is an abundance of rocketlauncher-wielding enemies in the first place). Its upside is that it's just so useful as a door opener, crowd control, camera and turret disabler, and against robotic/late-game enemies.

Overall the rocket launcher is a lot more versatile than the flamethrower, and by extension is the best of the heavy weapons available. As for the third heavy weapon option, ammo is far too scarce for it to be used except in isolated incidents. But we can talk about that when bobbin reaches that point (should be in 6 videos or so).

I have to second the motion that Louis Pan needs to suffer a violent, creative fate.

double nine fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Feb 11, 2014

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Pierzak posted:

I like how the checklist targets forum posters or generally the type of person that would be drawn to a game like DX. I don't think it's a coincidence... They know about us save yourselves brothers

I really do love that most if not all of the qualities listed could easily be applied to the average Goon. It's also pretty great in the way it's oh so not at all subtly trying to promote an informer culture (I know I'm stating the obvious here but no one has brought up so *shrug*).

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Well, like I said in the video, why the hell am I dumping points and mods into the assault rifle when the stealth pistol is one-fourth the size, has one-fifth the recoil, 57% better base DPS with a greater opportunity for damage growth, and a scope which allows pinpoint accuracy?

The assault rifle is more satisfying to use?

But if you want gameplay reasons you're usually only going to have enough skill points to raise one combat skill to Master until the very endgame, and if you're doing a Rifle run then your pistol won't be as good for most of the game. Besides, at Master rifles it pretty much eliminates recoil entirely. The rifle is also better for taking out moving targets.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Oh man, what a great episode, I have such a hard time deciding what my favorite parts are, the discussion corners or the gameplay.

I've even recommended this LP to people who refuse to watch anything but Research Indicates level of LPing. It's just that good. :allears:

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

Mordaedil posted:

I've even recommended this LP to people who refuse to watch anything but Research Indicates level of LPing.

Good lord, talk about a short list. Who on earth else does LPs to Research Indicates levels?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

GetWellGamers posted:

Good lord, talk about a short list. Who on earth else does LPs to Research Indicates levels?

Cybershell kinda was one I tried to recommend shortly after Trespasser, but apparently Sonic wasn't as interesting as a broken game from a relic of the PC gaming graveyard.

And yeah, the list of LP's he's watched is incredibly short, he saw the Prey LP by Static Fiend and a bunch of LP's by Guavamoment.

Super high standards.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I'm kind of disappointed Bobbin isn't going to be using the assault rifle, but mainly because he and I seem to share the same taste in weapons and I was wondering if I'd see how some different loadouts work out.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

No Gravitas posted:

I remember that aiming it at that back sweet spot did extreme damage. A small tap of the mouse (3-4 units I believe) was enough to instantly do in a person in black as long as they remained unaware of you. Fun at VersaLife...

Then again I was playing on Easy.

The thing is that enemies who get hit by napalm behave a lot like enemies who get hit by tranquilizer darts. All it takes is one hit, and eventually the damage over time sends them into a panic and takes care of them. The difference is that napalm triggers the panic instantly and you get to watch them scream for mercy the entire time!

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

GetWellGamers posted:

I refer you to my own LP of TimeShift. It's serious business.

your evil twin fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Feb 11, 2014

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Mordaedil posted:

Research Indicates level of LPing.
Who is that and what's their "LPing level"?

Edit - Oh yeah, Trespasser. That sure was a thing, probably.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 11, 2014

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
That corner was excellent. All the corners are good, but this one was the best so far.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

GetWellGamers posted:

I'd probably point to Geop and his Assassin's Creed LP's. I haven't watched them myself because I don't think the games are that interesting even when you're playing them, but I've heard good things about his historical segments.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

I'd probably point to Geop and his Assassin's Creed LP's. I haven't watched them myself because I don't think the games are that interesting even when you're playing them, but I've heard good things about his historical segments.

The game is fun to play, but I'm the type of person who watches a particular movie once every ten years. I went back and watched his alternate videos on the glyphs and Rome and they're really good.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Xander77 posted:

Who is that and what's their "LPing level"?

Edit - Oh yeah, Trespasser. That sure was a thing, probably.

Research Indicates' LP is kinda like Sam Elliot narrating a well researched and highly produced documentary/playthrough of Tresspasser.*

Check out the teaser video.

*For a nerdy niche hobby thing, of course.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Assassin's Creed games are exactly the sort of games that are more interesting when you're not playing them. You can appreciate the effort level of historical research and architectural design without dealing with the gameplay.

It's my longtime ambition to do a Jade Empire LP that delves into "Eastern" philosophy issues, Chinese folklore, Bridge of Birds, all that good stuff that Bioware drew (not quite enough) inspiration from. (The other big theoretical project was a KGB LP with commentary about everyday Soviet life / political realities, and that's kinda what's happening right now)

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Research Indicates' TRESSPASSER lp is what got me into reading/watching lp's.

Also, it is KILLING me that I don't have a PC to install DE on, so I can play along.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Pvt.Scott posted:

Research Indicates' LP is kinda like Sam Elliot narrating a well researched and highly produced documentary/playthrough of Tresspasser.*

Check out the teaser video.

*For a nerdy niche hobby thing, of course.

It's kind of difficult to prove now, but I do like to think most people who did LP's saw this and started to significantly increase the amount of effort they put into their videos.

I mean, it wasn't many months before that where people still found really lovely encoded videos put on Google video in 360p acceptable with commentary that sounded like three monkeys screaming into a barrel with a microphone in the middle.

It does help that technology for recording got better too, but I don't know who expected Let's Play to get so big as it has.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
As a biologist by training (if not current employment), figured I'd chime in on a bunch of the stuff you talked about. First, yeah the anti-vaccine crowd are morons. A lot of the supposed autism thing was originally propped up by an outright fraud named Andrew Wakefield who wanted to drum up business from scared idiots. Apart from that charming fellow, there's literally zilch in the way of scientific evidence connecting the two. The mercury thing (actually a compound called thimerosal, which has some mercury in it and was basically a preservative so the vaccines didn't get contaminated) is a particularly sad case. The possibility came up in the scientific community and testing was done. Even though absolutely no harm was found to come from the stuff and it seemed to flush out of the body fine (unsurprisingly; it's a compound not mercury per se, and I expect you could get more mercury from drinking water in some places than the amount from a shot), they decided to follow the precautionary principle and replace it anyway. People heard about it and immediately proclaimed the precaution proved that vaccines were icky horrible mercury poisoning that fried baby brains, despite the fact it only came up in the course of scientists not finding anything wrong with it but playing it safe anyway. Given it's been out of vaccines since the early 2000s, the fact it keeps coming up should tell you how much considered fact goes into the complaints. And for everybody who says scientists are covering up the truth about "X is secretly bad for you"/disease "cures", consider A. any scientist who could prove any so-called medical crackpot thing true would get serious rep, and rep is pretty much what drives most ambitious scientists I know, B. nobody could suppress all research everywhere, especially since the crackpots are all too willing to fund studies to prove their theories, and C. from long experience presenting and listening to research, I'd describe the appropriate professional response is to hear someone's lovely theory, smile sweetly, then do all you can to point out how dumb the idea is and/or the obvious mistakes the scientist made and/or alternate explanations for the results. The process isn't perfect, but blatant lies tend to be hard to push on the whole field without a LOT of data, including some from other scientists, supporting them, because being a skeptic is approved practice.

As for AIDS, it presents some unique challenges in creating treatments thanks to HIV being a retrovirus. These viruses use RNA instead of DNA for their genes; they function via an enzyme called reverse transcriptase that uses their RNA to create a DNA version. While reverse transcriptase has been rather helpful in doing RNA studies in molecular biology, it becomes a problem here because the accuracy of the DNA copy it makes is very error-prone. With HIV creating LOTS of copies of itself in an infected person, this means it mutates/evolves at ridiculous speeds. It's been a while, but I'm fairly sure I recall that's actually why HIV takes a while to progress to AIDS; the virus basically keeps mutating in the patient until it comes up with one that evades the immune system and then takes over. Try to target one part of it for treatment/vaccine antigen, and you get a strain that mutates it. That's why current efforts are concentrating on a "cocktail" approach where you target multiple things, on the principle no virus is likely to have mutations in EVERY target, especially if you keep the viral load of the patient suppressed enough via treatment.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
I've been playing along with this now - though I'm a bit ahead, just got to Hong Kong, and one thing that gets me is the weapon balance. The stealth pistol feels like its more damage but maybe one needs to buff the recoil to make it ideal? I'm not sure where to put all my weapon mods honestly.

Otherwise, great short on Vaccines! Here's another solid vid that explains the stupid fraud from Andrew Wakefield a bit more and the problem with anti-vax: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o65l1YAVaYc

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
It should probably be mentioned that the book that's excerpted in the game, The Man Who Was Thursday is a real book. It's a book about an undercover policeman who infiltrates an anarchist sect made up of people named after days of the week, thus the title. However, he quickly finds out that more and more of the other members are also undercover policeman, and that the leader of the group, Sunday, might be God. Or Nature.

It gets weird towards the end.

The book was written by the devout Christian apologist, GK Chesterton, who wrote the book during a period of depression to give a possible answer to the theological Problem of Evil. He later said this book was more about how he felt at the time than his settled view on things.

Having not played Deus Ex, I'm not sure how this relates to the plot, but I can't wait to find out. This is my favorite LP on the forums right now, really good job showing off a classic game, Bobbin.

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

Maremidon posted:

It should probably be mentioned that the book that's excerpted in the game, The Man Who Was Thursday is a real book. It's a book about an undercover policeman who infiltrates an anarchist sect made up of people named after days of the week, thus the title. However, he quickly finds out that more and more of the other members are also undercover policeman, and that the leader of the group, Sunday, might be God. Or Nature.

It gets weird towards the end.

The book was written by the devout Christian apologist, GK Chesterton, who wrote the book during a period of depression to give a possible answer to the theological Problem of Evil. He later said this book was more about how he felt at the time than his settled view on things.

Having not played Deus Ex, I'm not sure how this relates to the plot, but I can't wait to find out. This is my favorite LP on the forums right now, really good job showing off a classic game, Bobbin.

It's an entertaining and quick read and is in the public domain, I think, so go read it, everybody!

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Really liking this LP! If I may suggest one thing, though: the Corner moments are very good, but IMO, they could use more of a direct relation to the game as well as the discussion that you currently promoting. For instance: in the last video, a commentary regarding the Deus Ex perspective on its diseases would be great to bring together both your opinion and the game's view on such topics, exploring more of the Grey Death in comparison to the real world background of great plagues and so on.

Don't know if it made much sense. Anyway, those moments are excellent and if they are better tied to the game's own exploration of those topics, I think they will be even more superb.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Transmetropolitan posted:

Really liking this LP! If I may suggest one thing, though: the Corner moments are very good, but IMO, they could use more of a direct relation to the game as well as the discussion that you currently promoting. For instance: in the last video, a commentary regarding the Deus Ex perspective on its diseases would be great to bring together both your opinion and the game's view on such topics, exploring more of the Grey Death in comparison to the real world background of great plagues and so on.

Don't know if it made much sense. Anyway, those moments are excellent and if they are better tied to the game's own exploration of those topics, I think they will be even more superb.

Well, I am trying to tie the corners in to events and mentions which are or were in the videos themselves. That's why the Trilateral Commission Corner comes after the NSF commander brings them up, the UN Corner follows the exploration of UNATCO, and Vaccination Corner follows JC's visit to a free clinic during an epidemic.

As for the game's opinions, I generally prefer to let Deus Ex speak for itself, because if you haven't realized it yet, the game has plenty to say on its own about all this. I'm also planning a second Backstory Corner to explain all the secret history and the way the conspiracies tie together once the Truth is Revealed. Besides, the game takes a lot of liberties with the facts thanks to taking place 52 years into the future and that can make it hard to relate what goes on in Deus Ex to current events, and with the way everything's interconnected it's also hard to pick apart one aspect without first explaining a dozen other things first.

VVVV There is no doubt in my mind that his images will come up again.

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 12, 2014

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I hope you find an opportunity to use more Dees illustrations in future Corners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

muike posted:

I hope you find an opportunity to use more Dees illustrations in future Corners

I always listen to the corners in the background without watching the images. I didn't realize David Dees made a guest appearance and holy poo poo yes use him at every opportunity.

• Locked thread