Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Thundercracker posted:

Maybe they make their decisions by rolling on a D66 chart too…

Roll 2D6, one dice for tens, the other for digits. On a result of 11-65, shoot self in foot. On result of 66, have a good idea but implement it terribly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Cataphract posted:

15 men do not a blob make!

I think you need at least 25 models in a unit before you can start calling it a blob.

The most I can do is 22-man blobs! This is the biggest my army allows!

You kids and your fancy 30 man ork boyz or gaunts or merging IG infantry units.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 11, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
So I had a weird rules disagreement earlier.

I was watching a game earlier, between our resident shitlord and a fairly new guy. He had a UM successor chapter (Iron Snakes?), against his Eldar.

"What is that?" asked The Shitlord, pointing at a Land Raider Crusader with a Tank Commander (Sgt Chronus) model.

"That's a Land Raider Crusader. It's a designated transport for my Assault Centurion Squad. It has the Sgt Chronus upgrade"

Now, I was curious about this at first, too. But Sgt Chronus is just a vehicle upgrade that only UM can buy, so I see no reason why a DT couldn't take him, and I said I thought it was fine.

Apparently this wasn't the issue.

"You can't take Sgt Chronus. He's only for Ultramarines."

Can anyone possibly be this dense? Seriously?

"I am Ultramarines. It's on my army list, and I told you I was using the UM Chapter Tactics before the game started."

"No you're not, you're Iron Snakes."

This couldn't be real. Did he really think there was some sort of functional difference intended between an army using CT: UM painted blue and an army using CT: UM painted grey? I told the guy he was wrong, but he kept insisting he was correct, and eventually the new guy capitulated and said he wouldn't use the Sgt Chronus upgrade (he tabled the Eldar player anyway).

But there's no way that's correct, right?

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

No way. You pick a codex, you use the rules from that codex. If you agree my handful of stunningly painted paper clips are C:SM then they get all of the C:SM rules. Doesn't matter what color you paint them.

Avoid people like that at all costs.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

So I had a weird rules disagreement earlier.

I was watching a game earlier, between our resident shitlord and a fairly new guy. He had a UM successor chapter (Iron Snakes?), against his Eldar.

"What is that?" asked The Shitlord, pointing at a Land Raider Crusader with a Tank Commander (Sgt Chronus) model.

"That's a Land Raider Crusader. It's a designated transport for my Assault Centurion Squad. It has the Sgt Chronus upgrade"

Now, I was curious about this at first, too. But Sgt Chronus is just a vehicle upgrade that only UM can buy, so I see no reason why a DT couldn't take him, and I said I thought it was fine.

Apparently this wasn't the issue.

"You can't take Sgt Chronus. He's only for Ultramarines."

Can anyone possibly be this dense? Seriously?

"I am Ultramarines. It's on my army list, and I told you I was using the UM Chapter Tactics before the game started."

"No you're not, you're Iron Snakes."

This couldn't be real. Did he really think there was some sort of functional difference intended between an army using CT: UM painted blue and an army using CT: UM painted grey? I told the guy he was wrong, but he kept insisting he was correct, and eventually the new guy capitulated and said he wouldn't use the Sgt Chronus upgrade (he tabled the Eldar player anyway).

As long as you were using the Ultramarines Chapter Tactics, you are 100% fine to take Chronus.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

But Sgt Chronus is just a vehicle upgrade that only UM can buy, so I see no reason why a DT couldn't take him, and I said I thought it was fine.
Is that a typo, or am I missing something here?
If he did mean that counts-as-UM are not UM, well, he should've said "I don't play counts-as" before they even started. Otherwise gently caress him.

VVV: Ah. Understood then.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 11, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Pierzak posted:

Is that a typo, or am I missing something here?
If he did mean that counts-as-UM are not UM, well, he should've said "I don't play counts-as" before they even started. Otherwise gently caress him.

Sorry, DT there stands for 'Designated Transport'.

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
In the chapter tactics section, it also specifically calls out successor chapters are OK, as they will generally follow the same doctrines as their parent chapter. Regardless if Iron Snakes are UM successors or not in the full (And I think they are), as long as the person claimed they were a successor to UM and using the UM rules, he's fine, RAW.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

VogeGandire posted:

As long as you were using the Ultramarines Chapter Tactics, you are 100% fine to take Chronus.

But but but, my EMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMERRRRRRRRRRRRSSSSSSIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!

Two Feet From Bread fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 11, 2014

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
get hosed non blue marines

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just say he's Brother Hummus or some poo poo and he just happens to have the same rules as Chronus. It's a non-issue if you're not playing with idiots.

^Gold and blue is better. Celestial Lions for lyfe.

Hustlin Floh fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 11, 2014

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Visions looks atrocious, and I can't imagine how upset I would be if I'd just bought a subscription and my only options were either to cancel (no refunds) or get a badly made oversize version of the leaflet you used to get in a model box.

it.

If you had just bought a subscription you would be able to litigate to get a refund under UK contract law. But that's a pain in the arse.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Hustlin Floh posted:

Just say he's Brother Hummus or some poo poo and he just happens to have the same rules as Chronus. It's a non-issue if you're not playing with idiots.

^Gold and blue is better. Celestial Lions for lyfe.

Brother Hummus of the Chips 'n Dip Warriors

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Improbable Lobster posted:

Brother Hummus of the Chips 'n Dip Warriors

Leave the top of the Land Raider unglued, then fill the inside with dip for a refreshing mid-game snack.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Cataphract posted:

15 men do not a blob make!

I think you need at least 25 models in a unit before you can start calling it a blob.

Given that warriors can resurrect over and over, I bet they play an awful lot like a bigger blob.

Badgersmasher
Dec 31, 2013
Honestly on MEQs I'd say that a 20 man squad is a blob and a 20 man warrior squad plus two added characters from a court are definitely a blob. Blob to me is any unit that is big clunky and a pain to remove.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

Given that warriors can resurrect over and over, I bet they play an awful lot like a bigger blob.

With a res orb in a 20-man unit, they're essentially a 27-man blob, if you incorporate 5+ resurrection.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Tyranid players: have the weeks since the codex release revealed anything new in terms of army disposition and tactics? I haven't been able to build any of my large number of space bugs yet due to other paying painting work, and would like to know if there are any MCs I should be looking at getting. At present I have none, really, and the last time I remember 'nid tactics being discussed itt was weeks ago.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Blpb is any unit that takes over a minute to move

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

krushgroove posted:

Tyranid players: have the weeks since the codex release revealed anything new in terms of army disposition and tactics? I haven't been able to build any of my large number of space bugs yet due to other paying painting work, and would like to know if there are any MCs I should be looking at getting. At present I have none, really, and the last time I remember 'nid tactics being discussed itt was weeks ago.

I only have a handful of games in but:

- Flyrants are still solid
- Crones are great
- Tyrannofexes are a good option now, but don't bother on the rupture cannon

Carnifexes/Exocrines/Harpies/Mawlocs are all viable. Really the only MC that I'm not really crazy about is the Haruspex which is an awesome model but rather underwhelming on the table. Trygons losing rerolls from Scything Talons really hurts them too, but they are a cheap deep-striking MC so they are usable.

edit: Should add that the biggest decision to make now is what troops to bring, and what to put in your HS/Elite slots. I've been rolling with Warriors only in troops and a Nidzilla list and they are doing okay. Some people prefer hordes, both are playable.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

So far the Nid players in our group has had very good success with the new codex, the Exocrine became pretty much MVP in a match I saw last Sunday against a GK player by just knocking of large chunks of his units.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Cooked Auto posted:

So far the Nid players in our group has had very good success with the new codex, the Exocrine became pretty much MVP in a match I saw last Sunday against a GK player by just knocking of large chunks of his units.

Having easy access to reliable AP2 shooting has really changed the game for Tyranids in a way I don't think people appreciate fully yet. The army has never before had an AP2 gun outside of their Warp Lance psychic power which made them weak to Sv2+ armies in a way that was rather unique to Orks and Tyranid. Now the army has a vaguely cheap very tough Heavy Support that doesn't really conflict for slots. People give the current codex poo poo (rightly so) but it has some strong points.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Cooked Auto posted:

Against psyker heavy armies, they wreck house with the shadow in the warp. GK are rolling against a 6 or a 7 for any of their psychic shenanigans if they're up close, so those fancy force weapons (and their spell for +1 str in close combat) are suddenly a lot less effective.

Badgersmasher
Dec 31, 2013

Icon Of Sin posted:

Against psyker heavy armies, they wreck house with the shadow in the warp. GK are rolling against a 6 or a 7 for any of their psychic shenanigans if they're up close, so those fancy force weapons (and their spell for +1 str in close combat) are suddenly a lot less effective.

Warlocks roll against 5 against this bullshit...makes for very sad ulthwe lists. Also kind of makes me wish eldar still had a good psychic defense.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Badgersmasher posted:

Warlocks roll against 5 against this bullshit...makes for very sad ulthwe lists. Also kind of makes me wish eldar still had a good psychic defense.

Good. 'Nids are a huge spoiler army for seer/screamer star.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Having been tempted back into the hobby, I've read through the basic rulebook and the SM Codex. I think I've largely got my footing, but I had a few questions:

1) The errata for the Codex mentions that a Librarian can take Psychic Disciplines from the main book instead of the SM Codex, but I don't actually see any Psychic Disciplines in the Codex. Am I drunk or am I missing something?

2) Reading back through the thread, it sounds like the general consensus regarding Tac squads is to run a full 10 man squad with a meltagun and a multi-melta. Is this still the general ? Also, if I run one squad with this setup and one with flamers, am I setting myself up for disappointment?

3) If you had to give one piece of advice to a dude just getting into the game who hasn't played since 3rd Edition, what would it be? I'm looking for anything ranging from "you must get XYZ unit because it's the tits" to "here's a rookie mistake that every newb makes, don't do it."

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

TKIY posted:

I only have a handful of games in but:

- Flyrants are still solid
- Crones are great
- Tyrannofexes are a good option now, but don't bother on the rupture cannon

Carnifexes/Exocrines/Harpies/Mawlocs are all viable. Really the only MC that I'm not really crazy about is the Haruspex which is an awesome model but rather underwhelming on the table. Trygons losing rerolls from Scything Talons really hurts them too, but they are a cheap deep-striking MC so they are usable.

edit: Should add that the biggest decision to make now is what troops to bring, and what to put in your HS/Elite slots. I've been rolling with Warriors only in troops and a Nidzilla list and they are doing okay. Some people prefer hordes, both are playable.

This man speaks the truth. Flyrants are the back bone of your army. Run two whenever you can and as cheap as you can. So... 600 points and up.

Venom cannons are good for the first time since 4th (3rd?) edition.

Stay away from Tervigons solely because they will kill half your army when they die. So they give your opponent free KPs and are really great at making you lose control of objectives late in the game.

Pyrovores suck rear end.
Rippers suck even more rear end then before. How is that even a thing?

Warriors are OK. They cost a lot but they are the choice for rear field Synapse then anything else so...
...run them behind cover with a VC or BS and keep them within 6 inches of a Venomthrope. Buy a ADL for a 2+ save. Laugh at everything but flamers.

Venomthropes. If you don't have two then you are playing wrong. RUn them solo or in pairs. Keep them in cover. Assault when you can. Laugh at your opponent who just deepstruck a Plasma Farsight bomb in your back field. Plasma aint got poo poo on multiwound models with 2+/3+ saves and FNP.

Rippers with venomthrope suck. gently caress you for thinking about it.

Harpies kind of suck. If you get one, run it with a TL HVC and containment spines. People will leave it alone or kill it turn 1/2. gently caress T5 FMCs.

Biovores... They are loving AWESOME! Field 3 of them. In a unit. Behind an ADL or on the top of a Bastion for maximum 2+ gently caress youing.

Also, put your venomthropes in a Bastion. If you do, run them solo. One in a Bastion and one outside supporting your forward elements.

Hormas are good. They should be 4 points, but whatevs.

Termas are good. Run spike rifles if your opponent has any T3 models. Otherwise, run Flesh. I wouldn't upgrade them to Devil but that is just me.

Flying rippers suck. If you field any of them I will cut you.

Raveners aren't great. Field them if you want. But they won't win you games.

Non-synapse HQs are stupid. Like core concept stupid. Ignore them. Field more flying Hive Tyrants.

Don't buy spore mines in the FA slot. Spend the points on Biovores.

Zoanthropes are sweet. Field them and walk them across the table or use them to fire a weapon emplacement. Yes, that is a thing now. Put a Zoan next to a quad or lascannon and behind a ADL or on top of a bastion, guess what you get. BS4 S9 interceptor with a 2+ cover, 3+ invul, and 2 wounds. Good luck killing that thing and gently caress you flyers.

Giant Spore Mines, FW says they are a thing. Fly them high and they can attack flyers with 2d6+6 AP. Yea.

Biovores are bitchen. Field them. When you miss, you still roll your three blasts AND you place d3 spore mines. In unit coherency. That means 2 inches away from each other. That can assault that turn. Get them into combat!

Lictors are good if you want to DS a lot of stuff. Otherwise... Meh.

Deathleaper... Nope. Not even against Gray Knights or Daemons.

Also, Psychic Scream vs Gray Knights or Daemons is brutal. Oh my god... Nothing sweeter then staling a Daemon Prince with Biovores for one round of CC and killing it with Psychic Scream. AND THEN blasting your opponant with that not in CC Biovore.

Psychic Scream vs Daemons/Gray Knights = 2d6+5 - Ld auto wounds with no armor or cover save. Go for it.

Also, Biovores are awesome. When they don't make their points back with killing, and they kill a lot, they make their points back by your opponent spending two turns of shooting everything at them and only killing 1 or 2. Holy poo poo, Biovores + Venoms + Cover = good.

Hive Guard are OK but Crones are arguably better for the same price.

Ever see a full Firewarriors unload into a charging 2 man Spore Mine unit when they know a Horma unit is about to charge too? I have. Charge you Spore Mines! Biovores get even more deadly when you miss! How does that WORK?

Finally, never field rippers. Ever. Period.

Also, T5 FMCs is lame. If they couldn't be IDed then they would be 100% better. So don't charge them into enemy MCs. You will die.

Edit:
This is your 600 point list:

Hive Tyrant
2x Dev
Wings
Regen

Hive Tyrant
2x Dev
Wings
Regen

Termas

Termas

600 points exactly. Any wound they take will be regened. Say goodby to friends.

750 points?
Drop a Terma brood, add 3x Warriors with a BS (100 points). Spend remaining points on Biovores, Venomthropes and growing your gaunts.

Again, no friends list.

Two Feet From Bread fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 11, 2014

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

PantsOptional posted:

Having been tempted back into the hobby, I've read through the basic rulebook and the SM Codex. I think I've largely got my footing, but I had a few questions:

1) The errata for the Codex mentions that a Librarian can take Psychic Disciplines from the main book instead of the SM Codex, but I don't actually see any Psychic Disciplines in the Codex. Am I drunk or am I missing something?

2) Reading back through the thread, it sounds like the general consensus regarding Tac squads is to run a full 10 man squad with a meltagun and a multi-melta. Is this still the general ? Also, if I run one squad with this setup and one with flamers, am I setting myself up for disappointment?

3) If you had to give one piece of advice to a dude just getting into the game who hasn't played since 3rd Edition, what would it be? I'm looking for anything ranging from "you must get XYZ unit because it's the tits" to "here's a rookie mistake that every newb makes, don't do it."

Hope this helps a little:
1. The errata is actually for the old codex and isn't valid anymore. Not sure why it's still up, but GW hasn't done anything with their FAQs for a while. Just follow what's in the current codex; marines don't have any of their own powers and just use the ones in the main rulebook.

2. Tactical squads can be armed any way you like, but it is good to go along the same line for their options. So, melta with a multi-melta, plasma with a lascannon or plasma cannon, etc. 10-man squads are great and you need them if you want to use a tactical squad's full set of options, but smaller squads can work well too. 5 guys in a drop pod with a meltagun and a combi-melta for the sergeant is a cheap, decent, and relatively dependable suicide anti-tank squad. Ultimately, these are the units that are going to hold objectives so it's best to fill them out when you can. Unless they have a specific role like the little melta squad mentioned earlier.

3. 6th edition is yet another iteration of the basic 3rd edition rules. A lot has changed and new rules have been added, but the core of moving, shooting, and assaulting is still pretty much the same. Don't be afraid to ask questions as things have only gotten more complex. Your best bet to learn is to find a good person to play against. Which may be more difficult than you might think. :v:

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Sykic posted:

Finished my first ever metal models, I'm a big boy now :neckbeard:

First ebay rescue too, and nowhere near as bad (or expensive, £18!) as I thought it would be. The wonders of acetone and dettol. Now to somehow paint a Wave Serpent and 4 War Walkers in 2 months, that's a tall order for a slow painter like me :(
Hey, these are really well painted and photographed. Would you allow me to publish this on Wikipedia? I want to use it in the Eldar article.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Safety Factor posted:

Hope this helps a little:
1. The errata is actually for the old codex and isn't valid anymore. Not sure why it's still up, but GW hasn't done anything with their FAQs for a while.

Thank you! This is what I get for trusting that Googling "Space Marine codex 6th edition errata" would get me the right document. It looks like maybe what I had was some document revising the 5th Edition codex to come up to par with the new edition, then.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

How are people doing the Grav-Gun damage results against vehicles? Are you allowing saves, even though the rule doesn't say it's a glancing or penetrating hit (which is what Jink and cover saves are used for)? What about the damage result? Are you doing 2 6s to wreck vehicles or 3?

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

Baron Bifford posted:

Hey, these are really well painted and photographed. Would you allow me to publish this on Wikipedia? I want to use it in the Eldar article.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

:psyduck:

Sure, knock yourself out. I give it a day or two before someone freaks out over them because they're not in aspect colours. :v:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I don't understand why people don't get up and walk out of games like this.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Deviant posted:

I don't understand why people don't get up and walk out of games like this.

Unclear on the concept of sunk costs, is my guess.

"I've already spent all this time assembling and painting and planning my army, if I don't finish this awful game out against my insufferable opponent then all those hundreds of hours will be wasted!"

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Apollodorus posted:

Unclear on the concept of sunk costs, is my guess.

"I've already spent all this time assembling and painting and planning my army, if I don't finish this awful game out against my insufferable opponent then all those hundreds of hours will be wasted!"

I had an insufferable guy get really mad at me when I did it too. Just packed my poo poo and went to the bar next door.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Deviant posted:

I had an insufferable guy get really mad at me when I did it too. Just packed my poo poo and went to the bar next door.

Can you expand on this? I always love reading about terrible opponents.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

panascope posted:

Can you expand on this? I always love reading about terrible opponents.

For context: I play Sisters, the all metal one-infantry-sculpt army.

:v:: "Well, technically your army isn't WYSIWIG because blah blah blah"

:geno:: "Nope. Nope. Not doing this." *begins pulling models off the table*

:v:: "What are you doing?"

:geno:: "I'm done with this game. You're a complete shitlord, and you smell like B.O. The fact that anyone will play anything with you blows my mind."

Packed my stuff, put it in the car, and went next door for a pint.

This was the same guy who repeatedly referred to my army as "Bolter Bitches".

Edit: I've since played him again with the same army and crushed the ever-loving poo poo out of him. You are having a bad day when you get tabled by SoBs.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 11, 2014

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
If you'd just bought a new wd sub before the switch over you can get them to refund you as the thing you bought doesnt actually exist anymore.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

serious gaylord posted:

If you'd just bought a new wd sub before the switch over you can get them to refund you as the thing you bought doesnt actually exist anymore.

I don't understand this sentence, and I don't care to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Urgh, I can't work out where to put my Overlord. Everything in my list has a place but him. Logic would dictate I should put him on a barge, but I'm using my barge as an Annihilation Barge.

The only other place I can put him is a unit of warriors, but then he wouldn't get into combat.

• Locked thread