Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Sion posted:

THen again, the dumb poo poo about Y wasn't really in the cause of the death of every man, more... the everything else part of it.
I'm actually curious why people hate it so much. I enjoyed it, generally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

I'm assuming it now sucks because Saga's out, and internet law says you can only like one BKV project at a time, because Y sucking is also news to me, I've heard nothing but great things, and I certainly enjoyed what I read of it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

I'm assuming it now sucks because Saga's out, and internet law says you can only like one BKV project at a time, because Y sucking is also news to me, I've heard nothing but great things, and I certainly enjoyed what I read of it.

I don't like either Y or Saga, but Runaways is alright, so I dunno.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

Real answer: Shia made a short film that was word for word ripped off from a Dan Clowes comic. Even to the point of pretty clearly using the comic as storyboard for a number of shots. When he got called out for plagiarism, he at first acted like the issue was not crediting Clowes, then when people pointed out that not even asking the original creator first, let alone not crediting is lovely, he threw out a bunch of passive-aggressive 'I'm sorry you were offended' type responses, some publicity stunts, then threw a tantrum on Twitter and declared he was retired from public life. And somewhere in there he tried to pretend he's James Franco and called the whole thing 'performance art'.
He's gone looney tunes, basically. One look at his current twitter feed is proof of that.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

theflyingorc posted:

Re: Internets reaction to anything that is popular among the majority (of comicbook readers I guess).

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

theflyingorc posted:

Y is a fantastic book and ranks among my favorites.

Read this thread for news, not opinions.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Anything imperfect is utter poo poo, only exceeded in shittiness by the shits who don't realize how lovely things are

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gaz-L posted:

Real answer: Shia made a short film that was word for word ripped off from a Dan Clowes comic. Even to the point of pretty clearly using the comic as storyboard for a number of shots. When he got called out for plagiarism, he at first acted like the issue was not crediting Clowes, then when people pointed out that not even asking the original creator first, let alone not crediting is lovely, he threw out a bunch of passive-aggressive 'I'm sorry you were offended' type responses, some publicity stunts, then threw a tantrum on Twitter and declared he was retired from public life. And somewhere in there he tried to pretend he's James Franco and called the whole thing 'performance art'.

You forgot to mention that the apology was also almost word for word plagiarized.

From Yahoo Answers.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I miss the genial, warm-hearted Shia Lebouf who got into drunken brawls with people on crutches, lost, and then had random passersby shout, "Where's Bumblebee now!?" at him.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Madkal posted:

Re: Internets reaction to anything that is popular among the majority (of comicbook readers I guess).

The poster just spoke with such confidence, I thought it was the general consensus that it was terrible based on his words.

I just thought it was sorta weak and unfocused in the back half.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

theflyingorc posted:

The poster just spoke with such confidence, I thought it was the general consensus that it was terrible based on his words.

Yeah, you run into this a lot in the Cinema Discusso subforum. You can go into a thread about a movie and come out thinking, 'holy poo poo, that must be the worst movie ever made!' Then you realize that it's only the case within the tiny pocket reality that is that specific thread.

DFu4ever fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 11, 2014

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

DFu4ever posted:

Yeah, you run into this a lot in the Cinema Discusso subforum. You can go into a thread about a movie and come out thinking, 'holy poo poo, that must be the worst movie ever made!' Then you realize that it's only the case within the tiny pocket reality that is that specific thread.

To be honest, the opposite also happens with regularity.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I am a she, and that should probably sum it up. I found it insulting and laughable in turns the ways he thought society would go to complete pot without men, that women would go crazy without them, Mad Max Amazon feminazis, the various stupid/unbelievable ways women would react to such a situation, etc etc. I also found the main character to be insufferable and preachy and the plot meandering and unable to reach a satisfying reveal/conclusion. I can't remember when in the series I stopped reading (it was awhile ago and nothing about it was really all that memorable) but I do remember throwing the book down in disgust and walking away. Not really the thread to go into much more detail and I'm not about to reread it to defend my views, so I'll just leave it there.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Honestly Y is one of those books I read and thought was decent but haven't thought about in years. It never etched out a spot in my brain, the only real memory I have even now is something happening at the end that was a really dumb way to wrap up two characters.

[edited for spoilers]

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 11, 2014

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
EDIT: Fine

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 11, 2014

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Can we not post spoilers to books that have nothing to do with this thread.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Dan Didio posted:

I miss the genial, warm-hearted Shia Lebouf who got into drunken brawls with people on crutches, lost, and then had random passersby shout, "Where's Bumblebee now!?" at him.
I miss the Shia who would poo poo talk about Indy 4 only to get crushed by Steven who told him that it was time to sell cars.

And the Shia who was a good actor.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Oracle posted:

I am a she, and that should probably sum it up. I found it insulting and laughable in turns the ways he thought society would go to complete pot without men, that women would go crazy without them, Mad Max Amazon feminazis, the various stupid/unbelievable ways women would react to such a situation, etc etc.
I don't think this is fair at all and that you were looking to be upset, but whatever. The meandering and preachy bits I can probably understand, but I think you read your expectations into the book real bad here.

Like, maybe the daughters of the Amazon went too far, but in general I thought it was pretty accurate as to what would happen immediately.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Is it possible to move this discussion to the general chat thread as I find it very interesting but also nothing to do with comic-book movies.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

achillesforever6 posted:

Tell me more about the parallel universe you come from.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Madkal posted:

Is it possible to move this discussion to the general chat thread as I find it very interesting but also nothing to do with comic-book movies.

I have done so. I'd be interested in discussing it further if people want to jump threads.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

Nononononononono... NO!

Billy Idle
Sep 26, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

If you're making an argument about how a movie is good, don't use the words 'for what it was'.

Because it was a comic book movie. There has never been a comic book movie that has been anything more than good, cheap entertainment, and I'm including the Nolan Batman movies.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Billy Idle posted:

Because it was a comic book movie. There has never been a comic book movie that has been anything more than good, cheap entertainment, and I'm including the Nolan Batman movies.

History of Violence and Road to Perdition

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

And Akira and Ghost World and American Splendor and Oldboy and Superman: The Movie.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Billy Idle posted:

Super

Billy Idle
Sep 26, 2009

achillesforever6 posted:

I miss the Shia who would poo poo talk about Indy 4 only to get crushed by Steven who told him that it was time to sell cars.

Shia was never a very good actor. And Spielberg was right. It's a dick move to trash talk the movie you were in just a couple years ago and put similar words in the mouths of your director and co-star without their permission. What he did was very unprofessional. And he obviously just said it for attention and validation, not because he was so deeply worried that his participation in the film damaged his integrity as an artist.

bobkatt013 posted:

I'm sorry, I meant comic book movies based on super heroes.

e:
I meant what I said. Naming random movies that you personally feel rose above the crowd to become an immortal part of the cinematic canon isn't going to make me change my mind.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Super is not a comic book movie and also it sucks.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The original Superman is a legitimately excellent film by any metric.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Super is not a comic book movie and also it sucks.

Ah the 'it sucks' defense. I can't get past that.

Billy Idle
Sep 26, 2009

Mr. Maltose posted:

The original Superman is a legitimately excellent film by any metric.

Yes, I agree. I like superhero movies. I was just defending my description of Thor as being very good "for what it was" from one poster's implication that I must have been tacitly admitting that it actually sucked.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Then why say all comic films are popcorn fodder? Wait, no, it's all comic films with superheroes in them. Wait gently caress Reeves Superman was actually great, what was the point again?

Billy Idle
Sep 26, 2009

Mr. Maltose posted:

Then why say all comic films are popcorn fodder? Wait, no, it's all comic films with superheroes in them. Wait gently caress Reeves Superman was actually great, what was the point again?

Jesus, just forget it. I'm not trying to move the goalposts and I'm not trying to pull one over on anybody. I don't even want to loving argue with anyone about this.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

AnonSpore posted:

Holes was a good movie and he was good in it, that was like his only good movie though

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Billy Idle posted:

Quotin' dis horseshit opinion for the ages

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Don't drag it back up. Let it go.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Billy Idle posted:

Yes, I agree. I like superhero movies. I was just defending my description of Thor as being very good "for what it was" from one poster's implication that I must have been tacitly admitting that it actually sucked.

Is that what I said? I'm pretty sure that's not what I said.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

When you call a movie like Thor good you kind of have to qualify it, lest someone think you mean it's Citizen Kane instead of a fun superhero popcorn movie. But apparently people in this thread think the first Superman movie is a legitimately valuable piece of cinema instead of a dumb popcorn flick, so maybe that kind of distinction isn't important?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lurdiak posted:

When you call a movie like Thor good you kind of have to qualify it, lest someone think you mean it's Citizen Kane instead of a fun superhero popcorn movie. But apparently people in this thread think the first Superman movie is a legitimately valuable piece of cinema instead of a dumb popcorn flick, so maybe that kind of distinction isn't important?

Dumb popcorn films can be valuable pieces of cinema.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

bobkatt013 posted:

Dumb popcorn films can be valuable pieces of cinema.

I guess. I just think it's the film equivalent of putting George R. R. Martin's work on the same level as Voltaire, Moliere, Shakespeare, etc. Dumb escapism is cool and all, but it kinda slides off the brain.

• Locked thread