Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
What's really weird is that this skip tax doesn't really address the higher end PvP strategies.

Basically, once you get enough covers and levels, there's no team you cannot beat, so the only thing you're skipping for is to find those players with more points than you so that you can advance as quickly as possible and suffer the least amount of points loss when you get retaliated against.

Basically, what I'm saying is that at the end game, there is no defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

messagemode1 posted:

Did anyone notice they switched cityscape for desert? And has oasis always been 25? Seems really cheap for 6 green tiles, it's crazy, but it's nice that environment tiles are actually worth matching for once.
Fairly sure it used to be 35. It's always been ridiculously cheap for its effect compared to Latveria or City.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Actually bought my first shield ever today, because I thought the tournament ended at 10, but apparently it's midnight, and I just blew most of my resources trying to place high.

Assuming I don't drop like, 30 places despite being shielded, I should be able to recuperate the spent Hero Points, but I still feel kind of dumb.

Storm Classic's Blue is so goddamn good, and it always makes me sad when the CPU uses it instead of me, because I only have one cover and thus can do maybe 500ish damage, but every opponent I find has all five and just instantly murders my entire team if they pull it off. This event has made me fear the following characters: Storm Classic, Daken, Thor, OBW/Storm Modern (Only when together).

These are basically the only characters that I've bumped into that can actually kill me if the AI gets lucky/I get too cavalier about attacking high level dudes. Everyone else gets obliterated fairly easily. Note that, post-nerfing, Thor is still one of the few characters I actually fear/respect.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

trucutru posted:

At least it is not the jungle. I've had OBW/Storm do four cycles of cascades -> thorny rose, before killing me.

It really is a crapshoot facing Storm Modern in the jungle. The amount of times I thought I had a match in the bag, only for her to grab all the environment tiles followed by a cascade and lightning bolt cycle of doom is infuriating.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
What the hell is this?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He shielded up by the time the notification got to you?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Evil Vin posted:

What the hell is this?

Youre shielded so you didn't lose any points.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Youre shielded so you didn't lose any points.

The plus was totally confusing me.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Actually it looks like they lost to you but you didn't get any points from it because they're so far behind you.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

No, they won. You would have lost 29 points, but you didn't because you were shielded.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
So I finished in 30 or whatever on this event. I didn't play much so wasn't doing that well but, apparently, a poor newbie was winning too much (had like 700 points) and his lvl20 m.storm, lvl 25 IM35 team became a valid target. That guy must have taken a hideous beating, oh well, got plenty of points there.

I also only got attacked like 8 times total, which is weird, but who knows how the game decides to cycle your opponents.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I really wanted to play but didn't want to raise my MMR too much (at least not for Dr. Doom, who) so I did 500 on the first day and got the HP, then switched to a weaker team to tank. Decided to go for top 250 cause I didn't want Moonstone, so did a few more battles at the end and got a Hawkeye, Captain America and 3* Magneto Purple.

Way better than a single Moonstone and 50 HP.

But now, Daredevil covers! I could totally use those.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Is the last team you used to fight with the team that you are defending with? Even if you switched it up do counter attacks use the team you won with? These are pressing questions that need to be answered!

Also I got edged out into top 75 for 3 moonstone covers... should I just sell those?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If you're not using her, sure, why not.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I really wish I could see more of the leaderboard than top 10 and me (+/-)5 ranks. Specifically I'd like to know what I'd be up against in the elite tournament and whether or not I have a prayer of getting top 100.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I really wish I could see more of the leaderboard than top 10 and me (+/-)5 ranks. Specifically I'd like to know what I'd be up against in the elite tournament and whether or not I have a prayer of getting top 100.

You don't but top 1000 breaks even with 3 heroic tokens for 300hc which is as good as it gets for daily deals, and that's worth shooting for.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
These past two PVP tournaments have been poo poo. And boring.

But Iron Man 40 + OBW + Wolverine is crazy fun to use.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Top 100 starts at around 880 points, apparently, according to some thread in their forums.

Anyways, the tournament thread in there is a huge Stockholm-syndrome fest.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

My experience for the last 2 weeks has been log in, kill the very first tutorial mission for my daily bonus, look at the tournaments and who is buffed, go read the GOP Rebuilding thread in debate & discussion.

I figure if I'm going to be angry I can find better things to be angry at than bad video games.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Top 1000 starts at a little over 600, if anyone wants to know.

That to me is the break even point, where it becomes "worth it" to enter.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

messagemode1 posted:

Top 1000 starts at a little over 600, if anyone wants to know.

That to me is the break even point, where it becomes "worth it" to enter.

I'm pretty sure I got more worth by not entering. :smug:

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I finished top 150 in the DD tournament which was my goal for the HP as I still need to unlock some covers. I'm going to try and hit the 300 point reward for the IM40 PvP, but can't really be bothered much anymore. Maybe I've knocked my MMR up or something, but it's silly that all the teams I'm facing have 10-20 level on me across the board.

I seriously don't understand the way in which they run their tournaments/match making. I look to other games where no one ever complained like DoT that catered to whales, but was also totally fine and fun to play as a non payer, and compare it to this and it just boggles my mind.

I think I'm going to have to figure out how to get PAD working on my phone here in Oz because I'm just about over MPQ.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
How badly do you need to lose to drop MMR ranks, and how long does it last for? I was thinking that I could string together about 40 straight losses next time the lightning rounds come around, but it would be a bit of a pain and probably not worth it if I can only get one high tournament placing out of it.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Somehow got level 51 patch and Level 19 bullseye and level 18 Ironman 40 to beat Level 85 Thor and OBW and I'm in third. Gonna tank this biitttchhh.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Going in with im40, spidey and venom. If you're not stunned, you're being uni-beamed or eaten. :getin:

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I kinda wish I could get more spidey covers so I can have a reason to use venom covers as well. but then again im at a chokepoint with free cover slots because I've been using my HP to gamble.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Dizz posted:

I kinda wish I could get more spidey covers so I can have a reason to use venom covers as well. but then again im at a chokepoint with free cover slots because I've been using my HP to gamble.

Stop doing that. The odds are massively stacked against you.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

A.o.D. posted:

Stop doing that. The odds are massively stacked against you.

Actually i've been super lucky with what i've been getting but I've stopped caring about that for a while.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Is the venom/spidey combo something that really works in practice?

Also why are the themed heroic tokens more expensive than the regular heroic tokens if the themed one are more limited by what they can actually get you?

Snazzy Frocks fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 11, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've been using them in the double shot tourney because IM40 is the battery/heavy hitter, while Spidey and Venom can keep throwing out stuns all the time. Spidey uses blue, Venom uses purple to stun. Once there's 6 webs on the board, it's time to eat. Faster than wading through 3 level 100 characters the conventional way, though if Venom bites it, IM40 can still murder dudes.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Is the venom/spidey combo something that really works in practice?

Also why are the themed heroic tokens more expensive than the regular heroic tokens if the themed one are more limited by what they can actually get you?

I think the reasoning is that the themed tokens give you a better idea of what you're getting, so you can AIM for something? I agree that it's dumb.

Relentless posted:

My experience for the last 2 weeks has been log in, kill the very first tutorial mission for my daily bonus, look at the tournaments and who is buffed, go read the GOP Rebuilding thread in debate & discussion.

I figure if I'm going to be angry I can find better things to be angry at than bad video games.

This is eerily like what I do if I'm not interested in the current event. This way I get the super early recruit token progression reward.

I placed top 15ish in the Daredevil tournament. Not really interested in the IM40 at all, because my IM40 has barely any covers, so I'm essentially using the same team as before, and FACING the same teams as before, only level 15 IM40 has about 1000 more health than level 15 Daredevil, and there are more people with scary level 40 IM40s running around.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
So the ones who won 'every cover' already had every cover didn't they? Seems like a pointless grand prize for the whales.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Update. "The Simulator" becomes available. Prize is Psylocke. At first glance, I'm disappointed how much I want her (since she's not a character I actually like very much), but she looks like she'd plug into my current A-team very effectively. drat it.

EDIT
And some of the simulations have Doom Bots. Finally a use for the least useful powerup in the game. :rolleyes:

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 11, 2014

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

This is a pretty good event so far because not all of my opponents are 240:240:240 or some bullshit.

Mr. Met
Jan 14, 2008

Personally I preferred the mixed nuts caper!
Yeah, I'm actually facing PVE guys I can handle. I wonder how long this will last before they scale to impossible, though.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Hooray, a playable PVE event

E: Whoa, like that 5000 ISO pot of gold at the end of the simulator rainbow

Mons Hubris fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 11, 2014

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I had three maxed level characters wiped by a level 25 Magneto and co. After the third turn, Magneto started using effects, and 25 minutes later I was done. I literaly had to put the phone down and walk away because it wouldn't end.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

LorneReams posted:

I had three maxed level characters wiped by a level 25 Magneto and co. After the third turn, Magneto started using effects, and 25 minutes later I was done. I literaly had to put the phone down and walk away because it wouldn't end.

storm-and-black-widow-on-jungle.txt

It only took once before I learned my lesson with that one.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

LorneReams posted:

If it's the one I suspect, the real problem there was The Hood. A sufficiently powered Dormammu's Aid is an AP theft factory.

As for Psylocke, call me old-fashioned, but I was much more of a fan of Betsy Braddock before she had her eyes ripped out and replaced with bionic cameras, was used as a (naked) brainwashed weapon by Mojo, was captured again, was brainwashed again, was physically warped from being a young British woman to a curvy Asian ninja, and had her telepathic abilities replaced by (let's all say it together) THE FOCUSED TOTALITY OF HER PSYCHIC POWERS, her PSYCHIC KNIFE!

Claremonts gotta clare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
You forget yourself, delfin. It's not that her body was modified. She body-switched with an Asian mutant with similar powers, Revanche. Who later died a few times.

The point is, Comics are goddamn weird.