Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
My collecting rule is if I haven't touched it in 10 years it is hoarding. (I am a hoarder)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
My hoarding policy is: as long as everything is tidy and organized, its not hoarding. Its not hoarding to have a bunch of consoles in storage, its hoarding to have 7 ps2s in your room that you can't actually find.

I did learn that my gf will consider it hoarding if I get too many pong consoles. I told her I was running out of consoles that are realistically available, so I would have to start trying to get every pong console. She said that was too much so we're limiting it to 5 pong consoles.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

JJJJJS posted:

If you can find a Hyper anniversary buy it. The US version is really uncommon. SSF2T is affordable and I think it's the better game personally.

I'm still buying a Hyper if I ever have the chance to though.

I've got an opportunity for a Japanese one right now (one of the all-in-one PCB's), I'm just waiting for some more detailed shots to make sure it isn't a bootleg. I have a feeling that I'll probably go with HSF2A because of the rarity and versatility... but I know that if I do, I'll end up buying SSF2T at some point in the future anyway. Arcade PCB collecting is the truest form of :retrogames:, I swear.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

univbee posted:

I'd definitely agree if they were all hooked up at once, but I wouldn't say that's absurd if you had a big enough place (like a place with decent basement or garage storage). But yeah, as an apartment dweller I'm technically at about half that (not all hooked up) and feel the brunt, and am giving emulators (at least for some systems) a proper shakedown.

If you start counting portable stuff and my duplicates I easily have over 30 too - and in a one bedroom apartment. It's not that difficult. I have four hooked up in my bedroom. Seven hooked up in the living room. At least like fifteen on one of my bookshelves not including any handhelds.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
I've posted these or some similar to them before but on the topic of what constitutes retro console hoarding my rule is this.

If you can keep it tidy it aint hoarding yet!

If I get to the point where my game room and shelves I've built can't accommodate my collection neatly I'll definitely be looking to purge some.
This is actually a little out of date as I'm currently building a couple storage ottomans to discretely store some of the extra peripherals and controllers and I've since acquired a nice trinitron which I've put up in the room as well.

Regarding first game talk: Mine was something on the Colecovision but I can't remember if it was Lady Bug or Mouse Trap. I do remember that the alien from Space Fury freaked me out as a kid though.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

DisposableHero posted:

I've posted these or some similar to them before but on the topic of what constitutes retro console hoarding my rule is this.

If you can keep it tidy it aint hoarding yet!

If I get to the point where my game room and shelves I've built can't accommodate my collection neatly I'll definitely be looking to purge some.
This is actually a little out of date as I'm currently building a couple storage ottomans to discretely store some of the extra peripherals and controllers and I've since acquired a nice trinitron which I've put up in the room as well.

Regarding first game talk: Mine was something on the Colecovision but I can't remember if it was Lady Bug or Mouse Trap. I do remember that the alien from Space Fury freaked me out as a kid though.

I'm moving into a new place soon and I can't wait to set up my systems and games all nice and organized. Right now my setup isn't tidy, but I'm not considering it hoarding because since I'm moving in like a month, I don't want to get a bunch of shelves just yet. Hell most of my poo poo is still in boxes from my last move so this living space doesn't really count anyway. It's okay that my game shelf cabinet is too full to close, right guys? right? :negative:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Anyone have some advice on fixing this Error 22 on a FDS? I keep adjusting the drive header but I have no idea what its ideal position is supposed to be. It doesn't help that I have no indication of if I'm improving or making it worse other than how long it takes before it stops spinning and tries one more time before throwing up the error.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong

Peenmaster posted:

I'm moving into a new place soon and I can't wait to set up my systems and games all nice and organized. Right now my setup isn't tidy, but I'm not considering it hoarding because since I'm moving in like a month, I don't want to get a bunch of shelves just yet. Hell most of my poo poo is still in boxes from my last move so this living space doesn't really count anyway. It's okay that my game shelf cabinet is too full to close, right guys? right? :negative:

You get a free pass. I was in this same situation. Almost the entirety of my collection spent it's life in boxes till we finally moved into our current home.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

If TLC ever made a show called Extreme Retro Hoarders, one of us would be on it, and the rest of us would be going through their trash after the therapists make them throw away most of their stuff.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Peenmaster posted:

If TLC ever made a show called Extreme Retro Hoarders, one of us would be on it, and the rest of us would be going through their trash after the therapists make them throw away most of their stuff.

Jeff Gerstmann has been there and back. We all have to find our own way, man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCurjL2GNeM

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

And before anyone thinks that last post was too grim don't worry. If you don't know Jeff Gerstmann he's the founder of Giant Bomb and is just sort of "Live" all the time. He even streams his morning commute to work live over the internet. The original version of that video was posted by him after he got bored while home sick with a cold or something. They even had some fun with it on Giant Bomb later that year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJSce_Haf3o

Edit: Aw man, Ryan was in that video. Now I'm sad. :smith:

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 11, 2014

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

Agrias120 posted:

What is everyone's favorite version of Street Fighter 2? I have a lot of fond memories of SSF2T even though I grew up only owning the regular SF2. I'm looking to pick up a CPS2 board for my candy cab and am kind of waffling between SSF2T because of the memories or Hyper Street Fighter 2 Anniversary for the versatility. HSF2A is based off of the Street Fighter Anniversary console disc that came out that lets you pick any incarnation of the SF2 fighters to pair up against--the idea of that seems nice, but I can't imagine taking a Turbo version of a character against a vanilla version is going to be anything but overpowered.

Street Fighter 3: Third Strike :colbert:

In all seriousness, probably Champion Edition (arcade). Played a poo poo ton of that back in high school. Bosses as playable characters, mirror matches, and enough tweaks to make it play a bit different from vanilla SF2. Turbo I couldn't get into because at the time the speed changes didn't make sense (plus Chun Li didn't need to stinking fireball in SF2), and Super didn't do much to wow me even though I did like playing as Fei Long.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
as far as consoles actively hooked up, across 3 tvs...

NES,snes,64,gamecube, wii, genesis,dreamcast,ps2,ps3,360. I've got a powerbase converter for the genesis, and a saturn on standby (I'm kind of out of room for it)

anyway, one step closer to a complete renovation collection

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I had the best thing arrive in the mail today.

This is officially now the most 80s thing I own. :allears:

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Has anyone ever had luck with Dreamcast controller extension cables? I ordered a set on amazon and they provided initial power to the controller (VMU beeped) but no input would pass through. I returned them for a new set and the new ones will pass power through more consistently but it still seems like it drops connection because it still doesn't pass any input through to the console and the VMU beeps every 30-45 seconds.

ReverendHammer posted:

Street Fighter 3: Third Strike :colbert:

In all seriousness, probably Champion Edition (arcade). Played a poo poo ton of that back in high school. Bosses as playable characters, mirror matches, and enough tweaks to make it play a bit different from vanilla SF2. Turbo I couldn't get into because at the time the speed changes didn't make sense (plus Chun Li didn't need to stinking fireball in SF2), and Super didn't do much to wow me even though I did like playing as Fei Long.

Despite being an enormous Street Fighter fan (I even own/play all of the EX games :gonk:), I've never played any iteration of SF3. At this point, I don't want to ruin myself and I'm just going to go whole-hog and buy the CPS3 board for it.

Thanks for the input, everyone!

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

If we're counting multiples, I have well over 30 official systems. Well over 50 if we count knock offs. I need to start trading for systems I don't have. I don't have a Sega CD, Master System, or 32x, but I have half a dozen Genesis's. It's not hoarding if it's organized and displayed.

Also, I'm ready to take the plunge into improving my video quality. Is there a way to see if my tv accept RGB over component without having to mod a system first?

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.
I have 22 consoles (though 10 of those are different Genesis versions). I think I'm going to need to do some consolidation and selling within the next few months. Definitely turning into a hoarder and that just doesn't work with having a kid.

RodShaft posted:

If we're counting multiples, I have well over 30 official systems. Well over 50 if we count knock offs. I need to start trading for systems I don't have. I don't have a Sega CD, Master System, or 32x, but I have half a dozen Genesis's. It's not hoarding if it's organized and displayed.

Also, I'm ready to take the plunge into improving my video quality. Is there a way to see if my tv accept RGB over component without having to mod a system first?

Your TV likely doesn't support RGB via component, but what you need to be concerned about is the TV displaying a 15KHz signal.

Do you have a PS2 (I think slim or original works)? Then hook that up via component to your TV and find some PS1 games. Many (not all) of those run at 240P@15KHz played back this way.

featurecreep fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 11, 2014

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Ambitious Spider posted:

as far as consoles actively hooked up, across 3 tvs...

NES,snes,64,gamecube, wii, genesis,dreamcast,ps2,ps3,360. I've got a powerbase converter for the genesis, and a saturn on standby (I'm kind of out of room for it)

anyway, one step closer to a complete renovation collection

Sorry bro, I just picked up SEALED copies of Valis III and Gaiares. Yes, I poo poo my pants too, I want to open up Gaiares so loving hard for that mint poster in there. I'd post pictures but last time I threw up something on here with a watermark some people took exception; I don't want to arm some eBay scumbag with homemade looking images of that stuff.

Gratz on their only sports game though :)

midge fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 11, 2014

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Geez. I only have one shelf of consoles. When I told my husband I might want an atari, he started singing, "Look at this stuff, isn't it neat! Wouldn't you think my collection's complete?!"

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I have 24 consoles and two televisions between them.

Also nearing 3 thousand physical games. Everything is organized in neat rows.

It's amazing...

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

shymog posted:

I have 22 consoles (though 10 of those are different Genesis versions). I think I'm going to need to do some consolidation and selling within the next few months. Definitely turning into a hoarder and that just doesn't work with having a kid.

Your TV likely doesn't support RGB via component, but what you need to be concerned about is the TV displaying a 15KHz signal.

Do you have a PS2 (I think slim or original works)? Then hook that up via component to your TV and find some PS1 games. Many (not all) of those run at 240P@15KHz played back this way.

Wait, if my TV can't display ps1 games over ps2 component, does that mean that the XRGB Mini won't work?

I was under the assumption that since it upscaled the signal it would work fine. :ohdear:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Peenmaster posted:

Wait, if my TV can't display ps1 games over ps2 component, does that mean that the XRGB Mini won't work?

I was under the assumption that since it upscaled the signal it would work fine. :ohdear:

It's not going to be a 240P@15KHz signal when it gets to your TV thanks to the XRGB Mini, so it will work.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

It's not going to be a 240P@15KHz signal when it gets to your TV thanks to the XRGB Mini, so it will work.

Okay, I thought so. I was scared to death for a second there since I just dropped so much cash on XRGB stuff.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Peenmaster posted:

Definitely won't work. Nope. You better just throw that thing away. In fact, just put it in a box and ship it to me, and I'll throw it away for you.

(Hamburglar's right. It's totally changing the signal, should be fine.)

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

G-Prime posted:

Definitely won't work. Nope. You better just throw that thing away. In fact, just put it in a box and ship it to me, and I'll throw it away for you.

(Hamburglar's right. It's totally changing the signal, should be fine.)

Didn't you say something similar to me?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

RadicalR posted:

Didn't you say something similar to me?

Probably. I'm sure somebody, someday will find it funny. Really, it's the sad part of me that bought a PS4 rather than my own Framemeister talking.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Agrias120 posted:

What is everyone's favorite version of Street Fighter 2? I have a lot of fond memories of SSF2T even though I grew up only owning the regular SF2. I'm looking to pick up a CPS2 board for my candy cab and am kind of waffling between SSF2T because of the memories or Hyper Street Fighter 2 Anniversary for the versatility. HSF2A is based off of the Street Fighter Anniversary console disc that came out that lets you pick any incarnation of the SF2 fighters to pair up against--the idea of that seems nice, but I can't imagine taking a Turbo version of a character against a vanilla version is going to be anything but overpowered.

SSF2 Turbo if you're going CPS2 I say although no lie I would totally love to have a board of a bootleg SF2 like rainbow edition or something too.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

G-Prime posted:

Probably. I'm sure somebody, someday will find it funny. Really, it's the sad part of me that bought a PS4 rather than my own Framemeister talking.

Sell PS4, get Framemeister :science:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Twin Famicom attempted repairs - Error 22 as far as the eye can see. I can get the spindle head at a place I'm convinced is perfect. The read head is clean. Adjusting the potentiometer on the motor can turn it into errors 21 or 27 depending on the direction, but I think those errors are worse.

The one thing I don't get is a few guides refer to spinning the white gear on the bottom until something 'clicks' into place. That happened the first time but now it just makes the spindle spin. No amount of white gear spinning will make anything click anywhere.

There's a guy who fixes FDSs and drives for $60 before shipping. I'll consider it in a day or two.

e: Another option is to just get a "working" replacement drive.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 11, 2014

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Y'know, now that I think about it, I probably wouldn't have even re-started my gaming habit if it weren't for the fact that my wife and I bought a house. In our apartment I'd had a Genesis with maybe ~10 games, a PS2 and a Gamecube all hooked up to the TV, with a few other consoles boxed up in a closet.

With great basements come great responsibility :retrogames:.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Heran Bago posted:

Twin Famicom attempted repairs - Error 22 as far as the eye can see. I can get the spindle head at a place I'm convinced is perfect. The read head is clean. Adjusting the potentiometer on the motor can turn it into errors 21 or 27 depending on the direction, but I think those errors are worse.

The one thing I don't get is a few guides refer to spinning the white gear on the bottom until something 'clicks' into place. That happened the first time but now it just makes the spindle spin. No amount of white gear spinning will make anything click anywhere.

There's a guy who fixes FDSs and drives for $60 before shipping. I'll consider it in a day or two.

Clean your drive out really loving well. Also is the belt in there any good?

My collection is pretty expansive, as least hardware-wise since I've been collecting hardware since I was a youngin', but I guess I have it all organized well enough since it doesn't look like there's THAT much game poo poo in my room. Aside from the bookshelf that is literally games spilling over on each other because not enough games fit in if I stack them properly.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

midge posted:

Sorry bro, I just picked up SEALED copies of Valis III and Gaiares. Yes, I poo poo my pants too, I want to open up Gaiares so loving hard for that mint poster in there. I'd post pictures but last time I threw up something on here with a watermark some people took exception; I don't want to arm some eBay scumbag with homemade looking images of that stuff.

Gratz on their only sports game though :)

And I just picked up Beast Wrestler and Final Zone. Picking a manageable collection goal is killing my wallet.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Bing the Noize posted:

Clean your drive out really loving well. Also is the belt in there any good?

My collection is pretty expansive, as least hardware-wise since I've been collecting hardware since I was a youngin', but I guess I have it all organized well enough since it doesn't look like there's THAT much game poo poo in my room. Aside from the bookshelf that is literally games spilling over on each other because not enough games fit in if I stack them properly.

The belt is great. I realized I haven't adjusted the magnetic head's screw at all so that'll give me something to try.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Ambitious Spider posted:

And I just picked up Beast Wrestler and Final Zone. Picking a manageable collection goal is killing my wallet.

Good job! My Beast Wrestler is faded to poo poo. I have a spare copy of El Viento and maybe Gaiares if you are looking for them. My Final Zone is really nice.

Renovation is one of those nice sets due to the bizareness of their output. I'm gunning for Konami right now too.

I'm going to assume you're in the US, so at least you can pick them up from eBay. Most US sellers won't go near someone in Canada. If anyone wants to be a willing proxy please let me know.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Peenmaster posted:

My hoarding policy is: as long as everything is tidy and organized, its not hoarding. Its not hoarding to have a bunch of consoles in storage, its hoarding to have 7 ps2s in your room that you can't actually find.

I did learn that my gf will consider it hoarding if I get too many pong consoles. I told her I was running out of consoles that are realistically available, so I would have to start trying to get every pong console. She said that was too much so we're limiting it to 5 pong consoles.

Sever. On a serious note, are DS and Wii retro yet? I ask because I got Harvey Birdman: Attorney Ar Law (for wii, for my friend) and the first Phoenix Wright game recently and I'm wondering if there have ever been any other lawyer games made besides those and the rest of the Phoenix Wright universe stuff.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

Peenmaster posted:

Sell PS4, get Framemeister :science:

Seriously considered it. My wife would only grudgingly let me do it. She's not into the retro side of gaming as much as I am. I made the call to get something we'd both get to enjoy, rather than something that I'd be crazy excited about while she's wondering why I don't just use an emulator.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
The co-founder of Digital Pictures died. :( http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/r-i-p-sewer-shark-writer-designer-kenneth-melville/1100-4863/

Everyone please destroy a basketball lamp and other assorted furniture in his honor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2no3h3h5O8

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 12, 2014

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

midge posted:

Good job! My Beast Wrestler is faded to poo poo. I have a spare copy of El Viento and maybe Gaiares if you are looking for them. My Final Zone is really nice.

Renovation is one of those nice sets due to the bizareness of their output. I'm gunning for Konami right now too.

I'm going to assume you're in the US, so at least you can pick them up from eBay. Most US sellers won't go near someone in Canada. If anyone wants to be a willing proxy please let me know.

Final Zone was cart only but it was too cheap to pass up on. I've got a nice complete copy of Gaiares, and tennis and beast warrior were complete, but everything else I have is cart only. I'm definitely interested in el viento, but I don't know how much you'd want or if shipping would kill it. I've been sniped a lot on some good ebay deals recently.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I know you guys like GBA flashcarts with dedicated memory so interest check:

Neo GBA carts Groupbuy at wholesale prices before s&h:
$23 for 1GB (better)
$18 for 512MB

ic2005 seems to be getting rid of them. It's not the best flash cart out there; you need Win XP SP2 or lower to flash it, a virtual machine should work though. Good compatibility, replaceable save battery.

I'd be in for one. An established GBAtemp poster is in for 2. Still 7 short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

juliuspringle posted:

Sever. On a serious note, are DS and Wii retro yet? I ask because I got Harvey Birdman: Attorney Ar Law (for wii, for my friend) and the first Phoenix Wright game recently and I'm wondering if there have ever been any other lawyer games made besides those and the rest of the Phoenix Wright universe stuff.

You'd think there'd be more, but no. I think it's a potential genre brimming with potential. My friend works for the regional jail as an interviewer for bail and the stories he tells about the people there are fascinating. He's had a grown man who gunned down his friend point blank cry that he wasn't getting bail. He had one guy with an oddly spelled name that he was impossible to find in the system until he intentionally misspelled it and found dozens of charges against the guy. After playing Papers, Please I can definitely see a game based around this dude's job of interviewing and setting bail.

Basically, there's still a lot of unexplored ground in video games. We have all these tycoon games based on random subjects like hospitals and prisons, I want more games where I can do something mundane like run a pawn shop with pissed off people Hardcore Pawn style or any game that deals with the banality of bureaucracy. Or even a game that shows what it's really like to be the military. "Press A to wake up at 6AM. Rotate analog stick to mop floor and scrub toilet. Hold trigger to stand at attention during morning muster. Mash the square button to stay awake standing watch. Your department head wants to know why that maintenance wasn't finished yet, quickly, think of an excuse. Chow time, shake the controller to choke down poo poo on a shingle. Insubordination! Reduction in rank, half months pay times two: tell your wife and kids why they have to pick food from the local pantry."

• Locked thread