Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
semiavrage
Apr 28, 2007

I'll show them... I'll show ALL of them...
I've got another favorite story from some freelance work I did the other week. My client not only accidentally cleared the entire contents of her website and found her backup corrupted, she also managed to upload a document with personal banking information in its place. If it didn't happen to me, I would absolutely not believe it to be possible, but this is a thing that really happened. Seriously.

Thing is, she's really smart. She's in her 70's and she used to program mainframes. She can tell you all about the nitty-gritty hardware level stuff in excruciating detail, but actually using the machines? Impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

sfwarlock posted:

Rabbit season.

Duck season.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

RFC2324 posted:

Duck season.

Duck season!

grnberet2b
Aug 12, 2008

semiavrage posted:

Thing is, she's really smart. She's in her 70's and she used to program mainframes. She can tell you all about the nitty-gritty hardware level stuff in excruciating detail, but actually using the machines? Impossible.

I think this is fairly common - my mom is a Sr. Sys Admin, she's been working on networks since '92, has a host of servers, and is the person that gets called when pretty much anything goes wrong where she works. She's in the process of implementing a 600 computer lab with slim virtual clients using LDAP and all sorts of stuff I don't begin to understand, but when we're at home, she has trouble using the TV Remote.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

grnberet2b posted:

I think this is fairly common - my mom is a Sr. Sys Admin, she's been working on networks since '92, has a host of servers, and is the person that gets called when pretty much anything goes wrong where she works. She's in the process of implementing a 600 computer lab with slim virtual clients using LDAP and all sorts of stuff I don't begin to understand, but when we're at home, she has trouble using the TV Remote.

It's probably partly a lack of incentive. She can figure out whatever she needs to if she gets paid enough and if no one will do it, but the TV remote doesn't affect production and you'll make it work eventually.

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

RE: A ticket came in... Bitch loves rabbits. It's blackswordca's fault.

grnberet2b posted:

This sort of thing has always fascinated me, when it comes down to really simple things. I had a CAD designer who worked on seven figure architecture contracts, ran his desktop super clean and efficient, never installed any junkware, and really just needed help with the nitty gritty, such as BSOD's and the like. He once rang me to ask how to install his new CAD software he'd bought. As in you put the disc in, and it has a giant 'Click here to install' button on the splash screen. He said he felt pretty silly after I told him 'Put the disc in, hit install and the rest should just be a next, next, next type deal'. I also know people who have worked with engineers who design systems that run giant chemical plants, who couldn't figure out how to check their cars oil. They read instruction manuals everyday, yet can't read the one that came with their vehicle. I think like mulls said, it can sometimes come down to focusing on what's 'most important' in a way.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

H1KE posted:

RE: A ticket came in... Bitch loves rabbits. It's blackswordca's fault.

This sort of thing has always fascinated me, when it comes down to really simple things. I had a CAD designer who worked on seven figure architecture contracts, ran his desktop super clean and efficient, never installed any junkware, and really just needed help with the nitty gritty, such as BSOD's and the like. He once rang me to ask how to install his new CAD software he'd bought. As in you put the disc in, and it has a giant 'Click here to install' button on the splash screen. He said he felt pretty silly after I told him 'Put the disc in, hit install and the rest should just be a next, next, next type deal'. I also know people who have worked with engineers who design systems that run giant chemical plants, who couldn't figure out how to check their cars oil. They read instruction manuals everyday, yet can't read the one that came with their vehicle. I think like mulls said, it can sometimes come down to focusing on what's 'most important' in a way.

My last gig of 7 years was supporting a factory, which included a team of 20-ish AutoCAD drawing engineers. The lead engineer, who has worked there for well over 20 years, was literally unaware that you could just pick your mouse up and put it on any side of the keyboard your heart desired. 30 to 40 million dollars worth of prints crossed his desk for checking every year. Thankfully, he was quite a nice dude.

semiavrage
Apr 28, 2007

I'll show them... I'll show ALL of them...

grnberet2b posted:

I left out a few details, like how she doesn't even own a computer at home. She also does not own a cell phone. Regardless of these facts, she is one of the smartest people, at least when it comes to hardware, who I have ever met. She does major jobs for the few companies in my city that still have mainframes (this exists in healthcare apparently,) gets paid a ton of money to work with computers, and is still stuck in 1976. She's the webmaster for her organizations website! (If you were wondering, she uses a 2003 version of some Macromedia or Adobe product to manage it.) Thankfully, I just put in a bid to redo her website with a proper CMS.

semiavrage fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Feb 11, 2014

Ataraxia
Jun 15, 2001

Champion of nothing.
This came from my brother;

A ticket came in, a user was asking if she could get a trackball as the mouse was making her wrist hurt. So off he went to do a workstation assessment for health and safety.

When he got to the desk he had to do a double take as the lady in question was using the mouse rotated 180°.

She explained that she had taught herself about computers and such and just assumed the mouse was used that way, because you know, when you see mice they are always running away from you so naturally the 'tail' should go towards her.

The fact that right was left and up was down didn't phase her because she had learned to use it that way and was using the palm/heel of her hand to click the mouse buttons, I have no idea if it had a wheel or not, or how that would be used...

I think she got a new mouse, if only to replace the ancient ball mouse she originally had, and a lesson on how to use it...

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
At the previous company we had a central helpdesk system with facilities, and their tickets were hillarious.

There was one I remember that started with: Help! I'm being attacked by ants!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

semiavrage posted:

Today I got an email that stated, and this is a direct quote, that we were to "...return the cases, as they are not feminine and accessible enough." The title of the email was "Important Color Issue RE: Macbooks."

This sounds an awful lot like the thinking feminists had when they complained about wikipedia not being feminine enough and that wikipedia was a "male dominated environment".

Just, ugh. Way to fight sexism by reinforcing gender roles!

Todays ticket? A client who has asked me to do a price update for her a good 10 times now. I've got no problem helping her, it takes 10 minutes at most and I don't have to take other (shittier) calls while doing it.

The part that makes this stand out? It apparently took her ten repetitions of "ok, so i'm just going to press select all and update all the prices to the ones in this file" for her to realise there was an option next to the one I clicked that only selects price increases. I have mentioned it before (every time I do it I ask if she wants to select all or just the increases) but she's always gone for "just select all".

Today I find out her company only wants to do price increases and its caused them a massive headache. Ugh.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

adary posted:

At the previous company we had a central helpdesk system with facilities, and their tickets were hillarious.

s/ants/gnats/ and I put that very ticket in yesterday. Some shithead overwatered her plants and attracted a ton of gnats.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

semiavrage posted:

One time I was working on her printer while she was meeting with someone in her office. Somehow she steered the conversation toward rabbits, where it stayed for the next five painful minutes.
TL;DR: Bitch loves rabbits.

Now now, there's nothing wrong with owning a Rabbit.

Especially if you work from home and are waiting for a long progress bar. Passes the time nicely. :shlick:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

adary posted:

At work once I had one earbud in to listen to music while working (leaving the other ear open to hear the phone) when I started feeling this...movement. Took out my earbud and started scratching my ear, and managed to pull a live ant out of it. It had apparently crawled into the earbud in my (completely clean, no food in sight) drawer before I stuck it in my ear.

:gonk:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Sirotan posted:

At work once I had one earbud in to listen to music while working (leaving the other ear open to hear the phone) when I started feeling this...movement. Took out my earbud and started scratching my ear, and managed to pull a live ant out of it. It had apparently crawled into the earbud in my (completely clean, no food in sight) drawer before I stuck it in my ear.

I had this with a spider once. I also get bugs in my hair on occasion because I own a cat who doesn't understand that the correct bed he should be in is on the floor and looks like an old towel wrapped up in a feeble attempt to get the cat off my drat bed (he'd wake me up at 3am by scratching my chest until blood showed so i'd let him out). This prompted a conversation with a colleague who saw me pick a beetle out of my hair once and said "dude, you have lice".

No, its a beetle you nimwit. Yes, I did shower today, it was tangled up in my roots (I had long hair at the time).

Bugs are the worst and now I check for them every time I go to bed, even though I know i've not had the cat in my room for a year.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sirotan posted:

I was an intern at a place that had ants in the coffee machine. When people went to get coffee in the morning, it crawled.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

A server did not come in. We've got two on order from Dell and the shipping date has been pushed back twice now. My boss just followed up with our rep yet again and was told that not only are OUR servers delayed, but ALL servers on order are delayed due to a shortage of....internal power cables.

:stonklol:

A quick google brings up nothing to support this. Anyone else waiting on a shipment from Dell been told this?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

semiavrage posted:

I left out a few details, like how she doesn't even own a computer at home. She also does not own a cell phone. Because Regardless of these facts, she is one of the smartest people I have ever met.

I wish I was brave enough to not own a cell phone or have any computers at home. I am too addicted to my kit and the amount of time I fritter away just farting around on them is frustrating...

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
so a ticket came in.

Account lead wants me to image 12 new workstations.. for tomorrow morning. My problem is I only have enough bench room for two at a time, and each has its own software requirement. So I can use a base windows image for each machine, I'm looking at 30 min to 90 minutes of additional manual software installation. I've already told him ill get what I can done and I wont be working late tonight.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A failure to plan on your part bla bla bla

At least you've already said you won't stay late. Just make sure you don't.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Caged posted:

A failure to plan on your part bla bla bla

At least you've already said you won't stay late. Just make sure you don't.

I'm out of here at 4:55 as per normal. He can't dump two or three days worth of work on me half way through the day and just demand it done.

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000

Sirotan posted:

A server did not come in. We've got two on order from Dell and the shipping date has been pushed back twice now. My boss just followed up with our rep yet again and was told that not only are OUR servers delayed, but ALL servers on order are delayed due to a shortage of....internal power cables.

:stonklol:

A quick google brings up nothing to support this. Anyone else waiting on a shipment from Dell been told this?

We ordered a pair of C300 layer-3 switches and they got back-ordered for 6+ months. We've got one now at least...

Our sales rep called, asking if he could swing by to "see how things are going" and we basically said, "Sure, just toss our $30K piece of equipment in your trunk and come on over!" The sales rep never called back and has been totally MIA since before the new year.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

blackswordca posted:

I'm out of here at 4:55 as per normal. He can't dump two or three days worth of work on me half way through the day and just demand it done.

Re: A spine came in...

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

blackswordca posted:

He can't dump two or three days worth of work on me half way through the day and just demand it done.

Yeah, yeah he can. He'll also bitch about you not being able to get it done and have the higher ups on his side. It's your fault.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

To be fair he should have pre-empted the workload coming in and extended the lab in anticipation.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Caged posted:

To be fair he should have pre-empted the workload coming in and extended the lab in anticipation.
blackswordca doesn't have precognition. This is clearly his fault.

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

Zemyla posted:

blackswordca doesn't have precognition. This is clearly his fault.

Actually, he did, but this was disabled/removed and the audit logs for this action were turned off/wiped by higher ranking colleagues. This is also clearly his fault.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

One of our employees quit and I finally got his equipment back after a month.

I guess I'll be able to find a couple spare keys and clean up the laptop, but why can't people just take care of their things?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

wa27 posted:

One of our employees quit and I finally got his equipment back after a month.

I guess I'll be able to find a couple spare keys and clean up the laptop, but why can't people just take care of their things?

Good chance saying that he did and decided to trash the phone.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

wa27 posted:

Because they're not their things, they're the company's things.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
People constantly break things because they just don't give a poo poo. New manager on his first day yesterday up in Seattle completely hosed up his brand new laptop to the point he has to ship it back to me. His first day! I'm sending him an old spare to tide him over while I fix the new one.

CFO smashed the left side of his expensive year old laptop and killed all the ports. New laptop ahoy!

VP lost his iPhone in December, smashed the replacement less than a month later. That's $400 in insurance deductibles and now Asurion dropped him.

People are terrible.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Loose Ifer posted:

Exit story

So what happened?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

wa27 posted:

Because assholes in marketing realized this ad would work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzjN9QDbUsg

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Because assholes in marketing realized this ad would work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzjN9QDbUsg

the best part is, this kind of poo poo is why IT budgets end up in the red, and you can't replace that 10 year old server that you can't get parts for anywhere but ebay...

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

These kinds of things really reveal what people use their computers for. That is mail, web-browsing, the office suite and the occasional citrix-app.
Because otherwise they'd agree with us that "breaking in" a new machine is a hassle best avoided if possible (nevermind the cost).
And for those things an old machine will do nicely anyway, they'll probably not even notice the difference.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
The machine in that ad is clearly way past warranty time and I hate giving such crapboxes to people too. If someone breaks one of our 8 year old laptops I'm pretty much giving them a handshake for ridding me of a problem.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
A bribe came in:

Finishing a project in 3 days for a high profile account vs 2 weeks has it's benefits.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
^^^ drat you. Lucky sonofabitch.

wa27 posted:

I don't understand how keys pop off of laptop keyboards. Seriously folks. What the gently caress are you doing that makes a button that is designed to be pressed down pop UP off the keyboard?

I've been using laptops since I had my first big rear end battleship of a Dell twenty years ago and I've never had a key pop off. Ever. I've had motherboards/video cards die, cables get damaged due to repetitive stress, hard drives fail, but I've never had a keyboard break. I don't get it.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Agrikk posted:

I don't understand how keys pop off of laptop keyboards. Seriously folks. What the gently caress are you doing that makes a button that is designed to be pressed down pop UP off the keyboard?

I've been using laptops since I had my first big rear end battleship of a Dell twenty years ago and I've never had a key pop off. Ever. I've had motherboards/video cards die, cables get damaged due to repetitive stress, hard drives fail, but I've never had a keyboard break. I don't get it.

It happens depending on people's typing style. Some people tend to push forward with their hands while typing in anticipation of another button press in a higher row and slip a fingernail under a key in the process. Other people drag their fingers while the keys are still pressed, putting pressure on the. Yet more people let loving cats with long claws walk across their keyboard and make cutesy noises at widdwe bwoo bwoo skwatching those naughty kweys off of the compooter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Agrikk posted:

^^^ drat you. Lucky sonofabitch.

An old laptop of mine had a couple missing keys because if I forgot to close it one of my cats would sleep on it and would occasionally hook claws on keys as she stretched when waking up.

• Locked thread