Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

feigning interest posted:

Don't forget that this also means that canon will be releasing an accessory EVF that should also work on the EOS-M. That's pretty cool, I guess.

not unless it uses like an hdmi cable - there's no spare pins for data for an EVF on the M's hotshoe afaik.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

A COMPUTER GUY posted:

No 7D2, Canon? :smith:
They need a new sensor first.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

InternetJunky posted:

hasn't stopped em before

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

A COMPUTER GUY posted:

No 7D2, Canon? :smith:

Canon Rumors says that this show is more consumer oriented and focused on P&S and low end DSLRs.

timrenzi574 posted:

not unless it uses like an hdmi cable - there's no spare pins for data for an EVF on the M's hotshoe afaik.

Maybe on the next version. I really hate shooting away from my face.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Haggins posted:

Canon Rumors says that this show is more consumer oriented and focused on P&S and low end DSLRs.

Maybe on the next version. I really hate shooting away from my face.

I just wish someone would make an hdmi evf that was -small- , been wishing since I bought my M. All the ones on the market are 3.5" monitor ones. Way too big.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

timrenzi574 posted:

I just wish someone would make an hdmi evf that was -small- , been wishing since I bought my M. All the ones on the market are 3.5" monitor ones. Way too big.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=736853&is=REG&A=details&Q=

It's overpriced but it's technically smaller than 3.5" :v:

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Ahh 3.2 was EXACTLY what I needed!

I just want an EVF that isn't bigger than the M itself. Is that so much to ask for?

(Apparently my expecations of a 220$ purchased on a lark camera are too high)

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

InternetJunky posted:

Canon will surprise us all, in one way or the other.

If anyone can, Canon can.

Mr. Despair posted:

hasn't stopped em before

But chances are that the surprise is a no-surprise.

I am foreseeing and have my hopes up for a revolutionary new sensor being announced within the next quarter. Even Pentax is a viable option and that should bother Canon, I am sure.

erephus fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 11, 2014

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

erephus posted:

I am foreseeing and have my hopes up for a revolutionary new sensor being announced within the next quarter. Even Pentax is a viable option and that should bother Canon, I am sure.
New? Sure.
Revolutionary? Ehh....

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

I think Canon have learnt from the reaction to the T5i, and won't even release such a thhahahahahahahahahahaha.

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

Whirlwind Jones posted:

New? Sure.
Revolutionary? Ehh....

They have to or I believe they may end up like Ericsson and Nokia on the mobile phone market.

Canon just released a dual pixel sensor. What if they would go further with that technology and create a sensor that takes one picture, with two different exposures with each set of pixels in the sensor, to create one picture with a high DR comparable to HDR in one single shot. Or pair them up to create a low noise and high iso 20 megapixel picture with their 2x20 megapixel sensor.

I do not have that kind of knowledge about technology but this sensor that was released with the 70D could open a lot of opportunities to be creative in their development?

But I am just dreaming, and assume that if this was viable Canon would have already done so. But still, it is Canon.

erephus fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 12, 2014

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

megalodong posted:

I think Canon have learnt from the reaction to the T5i, and won't even release such a thhahahahahahahahahahaha.

What they've learned is that they can rebadge the same camera with a new mode dial and sell more of them than anybody else can

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

So Bestbuy accidentally had a preorder up for the G1x II selling for $800 and released on 6/1. I don't know if I can wait that long. I have 4 trips between then and now that I was hoping I'd have a good point and shoot on. Maybe I should get something now and sell it when it comes out.

Edit: B&H and Adorama say late April and Amazon says May 9th. gently caress it, I preordered.

Haggins fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Feb 12, 2014

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

megalodong posted:

I just found out there's a T5 (without i) now...

I think in 2-3 years, when there's another new camera itch and Canon's still riding the same sensors, or released the new stuff at insane prices (see 5D2 vs. 5D3), I think I'll opt to go whatever succeeded the A7(R) and a Metabones adapter, which proved pretty successful in a test.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

I think in 2-3 years, when there's another new camera itch and Canon's still riding the same sensors, or released the new stuff at insane prices (see 5D2 vs. 5D3), I think I'll opt to go whatever succeeded the A7(R) and a Metabones adapter, which proved pretty successful in a test.

Thread title needs updating. Honestly though, I can see completely why Canon does it from a business perspective - like I said up above, they sell a TON of rebels, old tech or no. The T3 sells by the bucketload, and the T5 will too. When people walk into walmart wanting to buy a DSLR so they can take pictures of their kids soccer game, and they see a T3 kit for under 400$ , that's what they are going home with. <6 months after release, this T5 will be occupying that same price point on walmarts shelves, and they'll sell bucketloads of them too.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

If Sony had a 14-24, 24-70 2.8, and a 70-200 2.8 for the a7r I would sell off my Canon gear and switch. I don't know how I feel about using an adaptor full time.

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."
What about that full frame a to e mount adapter? That would get you close to those focal lengths dunno about the 14-24 but their is a sony 16-35 f 2.8.

An option at least, though I haven't researched the drawbacks at all so it might(probably) has some serious drawbacks.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

The lenses are made for crop so I'm guessing the sensor would have to crop itself or you'd get massive vignetting. If I spend the money on a high end camera I'd rather not have to rely on any work arounds.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Haggins posted:

The lenses are made for crop so I'm guessing the sensor would have to crop itself or you'd get massive vignetting. If I spend the money on a high end camera I'd rather not have to rely on any work arounds.

It automatically enters a crop mode I'm pretty sure. So you lose part of the sensor

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Haggins posted:

Sony/Minolta have had full frame cameras for decades. There's lots of options out there.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Lenses that would still require adapters. I don't think it's too much to ask for a full frame system with those 3 lenses available for purchase.

I'm sure they're working on it, it'll just take a couple years.

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

In preparation for a trip to China in June and a new job as a photographer for my local theater I am upgrading from my T1i to a 6D. I'm getting the kit lens which seems like it will work well alongside my 100mm 2.8 macro, 50mm 1.4 and 75-300 4-5.6 IS. Honestly the 75-300 has always felt soft to me but hopefully it will hold up a bit longer. Anyone have any tips or advice?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pretty obvious one but buy a few spare batteries!

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

Haggins posted:

Haggins posted:

Lenses that would still require adapters. I don't think it's too much to ask for a full frame system with those 3 lenses available for purchase.

I'm sure they're working on it, it'll just take a couple years.

There's a first party A mount AF adapter and there are zillions of full frame A mount AF lenses are you high?

That being said it'd be nice if Sony wasn't so loving useless at lens lineups.

Mightaswell fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 13, 2014

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Haggins posted:

I don't know how I feel about using an adaptor full time.
If I could remember which one of these photography sites I saw the review including sample images...

Too bad that rumored movable focal plane multi-vendor mount camera of Sony is said to be APS-C. (Believe it when I see it, anyway.)

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Mightaswell posted:

There's a first party A mount AF adapter and there are zillions of full frame A mount AF lenses are you high?

That being said it'd be nice if Sony wasn't so loving useless at lens lineups.

I mean native lenses. B&H shows four native lenses for the E mount on sale. I'm not going to spend $2,300 on a camera just so I can jury rig lenses to it with an adapter. I'll invest into your system when you invest into making glass for it.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Haggins posted:

I mean native lenses. B&H shows four native lenses for the E mount on sale. I'm not going to spend $2,300 on a camera just so I can jury rig lenses to it with an adapter. I'll invest into your system when you invest into making glass for it.
I kind of understand your reasoning here but adapters work pretty perfectly and there's absolutely no reason you should artificially limit yourself to one brand simply for uniformity. It's entirely possible for one company to make great sensor tech and another company to make great glass and there's no reason you can't have the best of both worlds.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If by pretty much perfectly you mean "hope you aren't in a hurry about focus" sure.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I'm sure that more than a few people here are photographers by profession and having to mess around with adapters and manual focus seems like a good way to miss shots and not get jobs anymore. Time spent trying to nail focus because you have a kludgy adapted lens solution is time wasted.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Haggins posted:

evil_bunnY posted:

If by pretty much perfectly you mean "hope you aren't in a hurry about focus" sure.

1st AD posted:

I'm sure that more than a few people here are photographers by profession and having to mess around with adapters and manual focus seems like a good way to miss shots and not get jobs anymore. Time spent trying to nail focus because you have a kludgy adapted lens solution is time wasted.

Holy poo poo are all of you just so stupid that you don't realize that sony makes an adapter that HAS AUTOFOCUS, even when you're quoting people who are saying "hey you can use the first party adapter that has full support including autofocus".

vvv :respek:

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 13, 2014

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I don't shoot sony so nope, I don't know. Now I do :haw:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mr. Despair posted:

Holy poo poo are all of you just so stupid that you don't realize that sony makes an adapter that HAS AUTOFOCUS, even when you're quoting people who are saying "hey you can use the first party adapter that has full support including autofocus".
You try focus tracking an a7(r if you're into pain and suffering) with an AF adapter and legacy glass, let us know how it goes. Of course it loving works, it doesn't mean you'd actually want it. There's a reason that pic has a grip too: battery life is going to be horrid.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Somehow, I don't think that the a7's target market includes sports/bird photographers.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MrBlandAverage posted:

Somehow, I don't think that the a7's target market includes sports/bird photographers.
Clearly the only users who demand decent af performance.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Just keep moving those goalposts.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

evil_bunnY posted:

Clearly the only users who demand decent af performance.

I guess now that AF has been invented, nobody can take manually focused pictures of moving subjects.

I'm not saying sports and bird photographers are the only people who use AF, just that those are the only people for whom AF performance is paramount, and they're not the ones buying the a7. Everybody I know who bought an a7 did so to use manual focus legacy glass on it, and not just for still life photos.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Adapting other system lenses is a nice added feature but when its your only option its a pretty bullshit system. I honestly can't fathom why y'all are defending it.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Adapting other system lenses is a nice added feature but when its your only option its a pretty bullshit system. I honestly can't fathom why y'all are defending it.

I agree that it's bullshit for Sony to rely on adapted lenses, but were the people whining about it going to buy an a7? Can people honestly not fathom that it might appeal to somebody else, though?

In any case, what started all this is Haggins complaining about there not being a 14-24, 24-70, and 70-200 for the a7r. Well, there's a Minolta autofocus A-mount 24-70 and 70-200... I guess no 14-24, but there's a 17-35.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I wasn't complaining, I was just merely expressing my willingness to defect if conditions were right. I think what Sony is doing is cool and all but to me the most important part of any system are the lenses, not the cameras. I trust that Sony will one day have a good selection of native lenses, however, that day is not today.

Haggins fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I have to admit that I haven't been taking nearly as many photos as I used to, half because my 5D2 with the Sigma 50mm 1.4 is too big to haul around, and half because my two year old is insane and I can't keep up with him. I would love something like an a7 with a 50mm lens that I could stuff into a pocket.