Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well two of the four superheroes in the upcoming marvel shows had anal sex in the comics so get ready for that poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

WarLocke posted:

Powergirl show? :quagmire:

(Actually it might be a gppd way to get a 'back door' Superman-type character on the small screen. Unless PG is no longer related to Supes now, I can't loving keep up with all the retcons)

Backdooring Powergirl (:quagmire:) would be best done with how they have her set up in the New 52.

Gaz-L posted:

I think we're back to 'she's Earth-2 Supergirl'.

Going by the alias Karen Starr, buying up technology and egg heads to try and get home. I'm a fan of the current World's Finest run, though, so I might be biased. That same bias is probably why I'd be happy to see Helena Wayne poach Huntress' identity in Arrow.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Warmachine posted:

Backdooring Powergirl (:quagmire:) would be best done with how they have her set up in the New 52.

Well since it got brought up (and I'm scared of BSS a little) if I've never really been a DC comics reader, is the whole New 52 thing a decent place to start?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WarLocke posted:

Well since it got brought up (and I'm scared of BSS a little) if I've never really been a DC comics reader, is the whole New 52 thing a decent place to start?

God no.

New 52 is almost entirely terrible. Green Arrow and Wonder Woman are like the only New 52 series' that people like.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is what, the third time DC has completely rebooted its continuity?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think it's the first one that completely restarted everything from issue 1 though.

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost

Aphrodite posted:

God no.

New 52 is almost entirely terrible. Green Arrow and Wonder Woman are like the only New 52 series' that people like.
I haven't read much of it but yeah, Wonder Woman New 52 is pretty awesome. I wish she'd get her own show.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

WarLocke posted:

If you aren't really familiar with the DCU, it actually is, as in anything there's a lot of diverse stories and takes to choose and since a lot of the complaints about the N52 stems from the changes made to the characters if you aren't that hung up on the previous versions a look is worthwhile.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

House of Cards and OitNB. Also they are willing to outlay tons of cash for risky ventures. I mean, it's crazy that they greenlit FOUR superhero shows that are loosely interconnected, and that they are four B-list IPs.

So they're 50/50 for quality vs poo poo. Not a great track record. I just don't get why everyone is like "RUN TO NETFLIX" when the CW is doing a bang up job already.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

If you aren't really familiar with the DCU, it actually is, as in anything there's a lot of diverse stories and takes to choose and since a lot of the complaints about the N52 stems from the changes made to the characters if you aren't that hung up on the previous versions a look is worthwhile.

Well I know about Supes and Bats and the Flash and all that, you know, the pop culture stuff, watched JLU, the Teen Titans show, etc. But anything that's pretty much comics-only or characters that aren't 'big' (like Dr. Fate, a bro and I were talking about this playing DCUO last night) yeah I pretty much got nothing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

So they're 50/50 for quality vs poo poo. Not a great track record. I just don't get why everyone is like "RUN TO NETFLIX" when the CW is doing a bang up job already.

He said "Should CW pass", not "CW should pass".

vvv That's the second guy also misinterpreting the first guy. vvv

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 11, 2014

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

zoux posted:

Ah the CW should pass on Flash not for business reasons but so it can be on Netflix and have nudes and swears. That'd be cool I guess, we'll see how good the Marvel Netflix shows are first, though.

For what it's worth I agree with zoux cause I want to see Netflix take a shot at the superhero genre!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

WarLocke posted:

Well I know about Supes and Bats and the Flash and all that, you know, the pop culture stuff, watched JLU, the Teen Titans show, etc. But anything that's pretty much comics-only or characters that aren't 'big' (like Dr. Fate, a bro and I were talking about this playing DCUO last night) yeah I pretty much got nothing.

Superman, Batman and Flash are pretty good but they have some notorious changes on their stories, the Titans are hosed since nobody knew what do with them though.

If you happens to found a sale or something it would be fine to pick up some trades to see if is of your taste (or wait to april for the Origins anthology to begin).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

nutranurse posted:

For what it's worth I agree with zoux cause I want to see Netflix take a shot at the superhero genre!

Lucky you.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Darevil's Hell's Kitchen.
Daredevil gets a cooking show where he uses his supertaste powers to judge people's dishes.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Drifter posted:

Darevil's Hell's Kitchen.
Daredevil gets a cooking show where he uses his supertaste powers to judge people's dishes.

Not gonna lie, Gordon Ramsay would make a great Matt Murdoch

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
YOUR CHICKEN'S SO UNDERCOOKED I CAN HEAR ITS HEART BEATING FROM OVER HERE!!!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

From this point on this thread is a New 52 Free Zone. :colbert:

Talk about terrible comic books in BSS where they belong!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Deadpool posted:

Good thing I was about to post about Netflix!

Rhyno posted:

As far as finding a lifeboat, Netflix seems the best choice. I don't think anyone here would be pissed off the CW slowly turned into the DC network, but in the off chance something doesn't get picked up, they might have a serious shot at doing a web original series. No one is suggesting DC ditch the CW for anything. Heck, its easier for me to recruit people to watch good TV when it is actually on TV.

But if the choice was seeing a cool idea go unused, or that idea taking its ball and going to play with Netflix, I choose Netflix.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Hemlock Grove

That thing was so bad it made me not watch House of Cards for a long time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Deadpool posted:

But the GA comic isn't terrible?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ded posted:

Hemlock Grove

Could be worse.

You could have a topless family member in it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ded posted:

Hemlock Grove

Oh my god, that minute had to be some of the worst television I've seen in years.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
So I take it everyone is excited for a second season of Hemlock Grove.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Zypher posted:

It's a good thing that show was quietly cancelled...

<googles "hemlock grove season 2">

...Oh gently caress you.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Zypher posted:

I am, I want to see where they go from that first season. Worst case it's terrible and I don't watch it after all, best case is it's so hilariously insane it entertains.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I was very surprised Hemlock Grove wasn't a dark comedy what with this being their opening shot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
STUPID-rear end BIRDS.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Accretionist posted:

I was very surprised Hemlock Grove wasn't a dark comedy what with this being their opening shot.

There is a severe lack of Ollie and crew eating ice cream in Arrow.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Zypher posted:

I enjoyed it. It was so cluelessly trashy.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Drifter posted:

There is a severe lack of Ollie and crew eating ice cream in Arrow.

Or making chili! He can get a part time job at Big Belly Burger!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
We're not supposed to talk about comics anymore. :colbert:

(but it's an awesome page, though)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That is some seriously weaksauce chili.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
I find it hard to believe you'd even taste one teaspoon of red pepper in all that. :D

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Rhyno posted:

That is some seriously weaksauce chili.

Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed. Though I am glad they at least use cubed beef and not just a fuckload of ground.

But one teaspoon of Cayenne and you call it 'hot?' For shame. Put a tablespoon in there you pansy.

edit: beaten, but the point needs to be made, that poo poo isn't spicy. That's bunny hill chili.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
So, is Hemlock Grove worth drunk watching?

Also, Ollie's chili reciepe sucks. He got it from his Mom it says, so maybe that's just another way Moira is a villian? making subpar chili?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

"She sabotaged the Queen's Gambit, colluded with Merlyn, bribed her doctor, and... made lovely chili."

Moira Queen 2014

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, is Hemlock Grove worth drunk watching?

Barely not even. There's some stuff that's redeemable, but it's mostly a horrid slog.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Moira's awful chili killed 503 people in The Glades Annual Chili Cookoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Moira's chili is so terrible that it drove a rift between her and Robert and she found comfort in Malcom Merlyn's arms...

Thea is the child of bad chili.

• Locked thread