Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Heavenly Nostrils

Of course Unicorn snot would be glitter! :v:

She DOES have heavenly nostrils...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Say Nothing posted:

You know, Dustin's sarcastic bitch of a sister is going to be in for a surprise when she graduates and finds there aren't any jobs for her.

The joke's on you. Dustin is an ageless strip. Nobody gets older, nothing ever changes; that "sarcastic bitch of a sister" will be that way forever.

Monty

Mike du Jour no wait... Dustin Nope it is Mike du Jour

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

GorfZaplen posted:

Classic Prince Valiant

Man, is there anything Prince Valiant has done in his entire life that isn't heroic?

Everett True
April 10 & 11, 1918

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

Free coffee after fueling

Technically it says "free coffee for fuelers" but apparently in English a fueler only supplies fuel, unlike in Finnish where it also means someone who fuels.

I'm guessing this fueler is the person who provides liquids and whatnot for the ski team during the competition or something to that effect. I'm not familiar with sports lingo. :v:

Speaking of sports and other semi-important stuff, Fok_It

"Zucchini" was originally sutsisatsi, referencing a well-known (dare I say popular) children's song from 1993.

I had that album.

e: Forgot to mention, the Finnish verbs for "to care/bother/feel like" were jaksaa, viitsiä and kehdata, often grouped together when thinking of excuses not to do something. Jaksaa means "to have enough strength/energy" or "to manage" to do something. A very useful and concise verb that all teenagers love. Viitsiä translates well enough to "to bother" or "to care enough" to do something. Kehdata has a few different meanings, and "to feel like" doing something is a good one here. Other meanings include but are not limited to "to dare", "to be able to bring oneself", "to not be ashamed" or "to have the impudence" to do something.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 11, 2014

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Indolent Bastard posted:

Why is he harping on this this week? It's a perfectly reasonable question to ask at a coffee place.

Oh yeah, he's an rear end in a top hat.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Indolent Bastard posted:

Oh my god is it "baristas ask you how you would like your coffee, what a lark!" week?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

Ah, a penguin's schnoz on the arm: truly a charming sensation.

Hoo boy. Here come the full-blown neuroses.

Calvin And Hobbes

:kamina:

Cheap Thrills Cuisine

This just makes me want some aloo gobi.

Domestic Abuse is not nearly as dark as the title would suggest. I'll leave the Mike Lester joke to someone else.

The Doozies' artwork really reminds me of the guy who contributed to Nickelodeon Magazine in the '90s. I wish I knew his name.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ham Shears

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts, in which the challenger whips out a desperation move. (February 14, 1967)

It's amazing how good Schultz was. Everything about this strip is awesome.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Volume posted:

Ham Shears

It's just Other Jill who Boss has been trying to date.

Puukko naamassa
Mar 25, 2010

Oh No! Bruno!
Lipstick Apathy

tiistai posted:

Fingerpori

Free coffee after fueling

Technically it says "free coffee for fuelers" but apparently in English a fueler only supplies fuel, unlike in Finnish where it also means someone who fuels.

I'm guessing this fueler is the person who provides liquids and whatnot for the ski team during the competition or something to that effect. I'm not familiar with sports lingo. :v:

It's a reference to blood doping ("veritankkaus"), and also ties nicely to the 2001 doping scandal involving the Finnish ski team. They got caught using Hemohes (which, as far as I remember, is used to hide the effects of blood doping, as it lowers hemoglobin levels) and one of the twists of the story was that a doctor's bag belonging to the Finnish Ski Association was found at a gas station, containing some discriminating evidence... hence the dude the with the bag.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

These are comics produced by an irrational mind. They are Irrational Mind Comix.

Pooch Café

I hope Zed sticks around long enough to bark out some old-timey hobo lingo, but I'm worried these bakehead sweetbacks will grab too much scenery and get them all sloughed by the bulls.

Ballard Street

This is how I feel about the bo jigger right now. If I can't stop talking west I'm liable to end up spearing biscuits in the jungle without even the makins to twist a dream.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Mark Trail

Quincy

Mike Lester Comics Office Hours

Today's guest star is a classic Esterbrook 8-ball desk set.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Drakyn posted:

Every time I see Foob run one of these innocent "oh, those husbands, always so uncaring and and distractable! :downs:" strips, I cringe a little inside and wonder how Lynn looked back on them a few decades later. :smithicide:

She'll contemplate it over a delicious sink sandwich.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

The boys certainly have got a good one on Grandpa this time!

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Hammer smashed face! :black101:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I'm guessing Jane is going to have to blow her roommate in front of her mom to prove that she's straight. Then Jane's mom will reveal that she knew Jane was gay all along and then start making out with the new girl. Either that or some crisis will appear right before things get to the big reveal, allowing Jane to hide behind her beard until the next time.

Those are the only two possible scenarios.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Tiggum posted:

I'm honestly starting to hate this comic. It's full of obnoxious arseholes and recycles jokes more than Garfield does. I liked it for a while, but it really didn't take long to wear out its welcome. Rather like Liō or Scary Gary, it's funny enough when you haven't seen much of it, but it just never really moves beyond its basic premise and just keeps reusing the same things over and over.

At this point, Williams is feeling his way into what turns out to be the format for the long haul, so if we make it to '27 or '28 and it's still giving you a headache, the thirty years that follow that are probably going to be a slog. :shrug:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Tiggum posted:

I'm honestly starting to hate this comic. It's full of obnoxious arseholes and recycles jokes more than Garfield does. I liked it for a while, but it really didn't take long to wear out its welcome. Rather like Liō or Scary Gary, it's funny enough when you haven't seen much of it, but it just never really moves beyond its basic premise and just keeps reusing the same things over and over.

Speaking of Lio, he needs to add Garry Trudeau being a lazy gently caress to his "parade of poo poo comics" repertoire.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

- But which ones the real Mark? :ohdear:

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

scarycave posted:

I was just noticing that. Did they just use clipart of Mark Trail as a villain in this story arc.

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011

scarycave posted:

Shadows are as good as sideburns. Also, NotMark's hair is wavy on top.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stultus Maximus posted:

Speaking of Lio, he needs to add Garry Trudeau being a lazy gently caress to his "parade of poo poo comics" repertoire.

I'm pretty sure Lio's parade of poo poo comics is really parade of zombie comics in reruns or on their tenth author while original artists starve.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Trent posted:

I'm pretty sure Lio's parade of poo poo comics is really parade of zombie comics in reruns or on their tenth author while original artists starve.

I know, but I'm just really annoyed with Trudeau.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Indolent Bastard posted:

The joke's on you. Dustin is an ageless strip. Nobody gets older, nothing ever changes; that "sarcastic bitch of a sister" will be that way forever.
poo poo, you're right. Dustin started in 2010 and there's been no development other than making GBS threads on Dustin once a week instead of every other day.

Mark is such a dedicated nature photographer that he'll brave rabies for a few good close ups.

Midnight Moth fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 12, 2014

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Stultus Maximus posted:

I know, but I'm just really annoyed with Trudeau.

In the tradition of "Garfield Minus Garfield", I'd like to see a edit series called "Doonesbury Without Hair", where the challenge is to determine who any of these characters actually are without their sole differentiating characteristic.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Speaking of arseholes...

Mr. Maltose posted:

What a colossal poo poo move.

Yup, if you're already going out with someone, dont shove it all back in the closet. Jane keeps getting worse and worse the more I pay attention to her/the strip.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Comics (January 29th 2007)

La Cucaracha

Doonesbury

The Duplex

F-Minus

Non Sequitur

---

Eyebeam

It's All Right Chief Dharma

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

SynthOrange posted:

Yup, if you're already going out with someone, dont shove it all back in the closet. Jane keeps getting worse and worse the more I pay attention to her/the strip.

Isn't this the chick who's assumed herself into a relationship with Jane though? Hardly her business at this point.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Some Guy TT posted:

Non Sequitur

Inside reference time. Stu Rees is a cartoonist/lawyer who is known for representing cartoonists. He was the go-to guy whenever first-time cartoonists needed somebody to go over syndication contracts. I think he retired few years ago, but I'm not sure.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Momma

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Four Eyes

Arlo and Janis

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

"My bad and unspecific search guidelines produced a predictably over-saturated result catalog. Technology, it's so wacky!"

I feel like I just got told a joke by a garbled English-to-Chinese-back-to-English Google translation.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

SynthOrange posted:

Wait, you think Jane is the arsehole here?

Dewgy posted:

Isn't this the chick who's assumed herself into a relationship with Jane though? Hardly her business at this point.

Yeah, they've been on one date and she's already planning their future and trying to take control of Jane's life.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Indolent Bastard posted:

Midnight Moth posted:

poo poo, you're right. Dustin started in 2010 and there's been no development other than making GBS threads on Dustin once a week instead of every other day.
So, this strip is basically 'Dustin In Hell'?

This may be the premise of a few other cartoon strips as well, when you think about it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Wait, you think Jane is the arsehole here?

Well yes? Granted this is from the perspective of a queer person, introducing someone you're dating as just friends so you can stay in the closet is a big loving deal.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

SynthOrange posted:

Well yes? Granted this is from the perspective of a queer person, introducing someone you're dating as just friends so you can stay in the closet is a big loving deal.

What, and trying to out someone you've been on one date with to their mother isn't? Skye barely knows Jane, knows nothing about Jane's mother or what Jane's reasons may be for not telling her she's gay. If they'd been on more than one date they may have had a chance to discuss it and Jane could explain her reasons and Skye could then decide if she was OK with that or not, but at this point she's just assuming that she knows best and butting in to Jane's life.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Good thing it's a shittily written comic with shallow characters written for laughs then because they're all horrible people.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

Sometimes staying in the closet is a personal choice a person makes because they don't want their filial relationship to turn into 9 Chickweed Lane. It probably sounds a little bizarre from your perspective, given (I'm assuming) you've grown up in a Westernized queer culture that considers coming out of the closet to be The Most Important Thing. But it tends to be more common in, say, East Asian countries, where a person can want to have gay sex without having any interest in queer culture. Kind of like how there's people who are into BDSM elements but don't want to join the greater BDSM community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

SynthOrange posted:

they're all horrible people

Yup!

P.S.

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 12, 2014

• Locked thread