Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ImpAtom posted:

You can't unlock it. "Attack", it is worth noting, is just the default name for "mid-tier physical attack." You'll get a crazy number of things that replace it and do its job better.

Personally I almost consider it a mark of a good FF game that the Attack command is basically rendered pointless by late midgame/endgame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
I really enjoyed the need to use debuffs in the first two games and seemed like that was less of a thing in this one. Does that change later on or is it all just targeting staggers?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I really enjoyed the need to use debuffs in the first two games and seemed like that was less of a thing in this one. Does that change later on or is it all just targeting staggers?

Debuffs are incredibly good. Having a dedicate defensive/debuff class is honestly a very good idea and spells like Deprotect/Deshell can absolutely help you out. Most enemies are vulnerable to them and almost any enemy that is immune to them can be debuffed once they are staggered. My defensive Schema was armed with debuffs instead of attacks and it was absolutely a major contributor to wrecking enemy face. Putting Imperil on your mage-type Schema will make them incredibly more effective at dealing damage. Slow is really useful in general and poison, if it hits, is absurdly overpowered.

Optional Boss spoilers beneath
One of the game's optional superbosses is vulnerable to poison. It's as hilarious as it sounds.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 11, 2014

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
Been playing Lightning Returns for a couple of hours now and I have to say that the battle system of this game is easily the best in the 13 series. Even some little baddies are difficult if you haven't figured out their weaknesses. The chocobo eater was tough for me because I couldn't figure out how to stagger him but I beat him anyway. Beat a guy that looked like a Behemoth but wasn't a Behemoth, and that was probably the best fight in the game so far to me.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

If you liked XIII and XIII-2, I can't imagine you not liking Lightning Returns. The only thing I'm not sure about is the time limit and missables. But that doesn't seem to be as big as deal as I feared it could be and it has a good NG+ system... Playing any FF with throwbacks to job systems always makes me nostalgic for FFXI and hope they hurry up with adding more jobs to XIV.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mischitary posted:

Beat a guy that looked like a Behemoth but wasn't a Behemoth, and that was probably the best fight in the game so far to me.

Try to render those guys extinct ASAP. The weapon you get from it is hilarious.

Roflan posted:

If you liked XIII and XIII-2, I can't imagine you not liking Lightning Returns. The only thing I'm not sure about is the time limit and missables. But that doesn't seem to be as big as deal as I feared it could be and it has a good NG+ system... Playing any FF with throwbacks to job systems always makes me nostalgic for FFXI and hope they hurry up with adding more jobs to XIV.

I hope you played Bravely Default if you have a 3DS.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

That's some Monster Hunter level sword right there.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Did anyone who preordered LR from Amazon get their codes yet? Usually they're pretty quick about e-mailing them out. I'm only worried because I preordered once and cancelled, but then preordered again after getting a surprise gift card.

I just want to dress Lightning up like Cloud and Yuna :cry:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ImpAtom posted:

Try to render those guys extinct ASAP. The weapon you get from it is hilarious.

I hope you played Bravely Default if you have a 3DS.

Why is it BRIGHT PINK?

Also, wait, it wasn't actually hyperbole when you were posting about making monsters extinct? You can actually do that? How, just killing hundreds of them?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

Why is it BRIGHT PINK?

Also, wait, it wasn't actually hyperbole when you were posting about making monsters extinct? You can actually do that? How, just killing hundreds of them?

Last Ones are all bright pink and so its weapon is too.

And yes, it is an actual mechanic. There are a limited number of most (but not all) monsters in the world. Reach the last one and they're gone forever.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

dreffen posted:

That seems unfair. I didn't like Mystic Quest!

What's Mystic Quest? Sounds Mystic.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Static Rook posted:

Did anyone who preordered LR from Amazon get their codes yet? Usually they're pretty quick about e-mailing them out. I'm only worried because I preordered once and cancelled, but then preordered again after getting a surprise gift card.

I got it at the same time as my shipping email this morning.

Nut Better
Feb 17, 2011

:same:

Static Rook posted:

Still haven't got mine.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Static Rook posted:

Dunno about Amazon but I got mine from EB (EB is a Canadian GameStop sub) this morning before the physical copy had even arrived. Only included their exclusive samurai suits though. I'm wondering if the other ones come on vouchers in the package or something. Haven't been home to open the package yet.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Last Ones are all bright pink and so its weapon is too.

And yes, it is an actual mechanic. There are a limited number of most (but not all) monsters in the world. Reach the last one and they're gone forever.

Wait, so that's not a custom colour scheme on the weapon? That's bonkers.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Static Rook posted:

I preordered something else from Amazon recently and they sent me a DLC code like 2 weeks in advance. It kind of looked like all the other bullshit emails they send out all the time so I didn't notice until I got the game and went digging for it in my gmail archive.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

In my defense of not liking Mystic Quest:

Soul Blazer was a cooler game anyway.

I should probably go and see if Mystic Quest is better now that I'm not five or six.

edit: Also the amazon pre-order codes are going out in two days or something.

dreffen fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 12, 2014

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I will forever maintain that, despite 4, 5 and 6 having really good battle themes, Mystic Quest's is far and away the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZOQ8sLO-vU

:rock:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Static Rook posted:

Yeah, I got mine last night along with my shipping email (two separate emails).

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Coughing Hobo posted:

I will forever maintain that, despite 4, 5 and 6 having really good battle themes, Mystic Quest's is far and away the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZOQ8sLO-vU

:rock:

That's a controversial opinion? :raise:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Fedule posted:

Of the myriad atrocities perpetrated by FFXIII-2 this was definitely the worst. "Kupo" works as bizzare onomatopoeia, it does not work as a loving verbal tic (at least not in English).

I liked Mog's voice on the whole, but "kupo" should just be the noise they made in IX for every game. That is a kupo. Saying it is not apart from being Kupo for Kupo Nuts. IX Moogles are still the best.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
A Yuel who loved to Kupo! A Yuel who loved to be kupo'd! A Yuel who could Kupo with her Kupo! I have known them all! They have all died in my arms!

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Hope does talk too much, and I'm only at the beginning of Day 1.

"That sounds like strong information. You should let the inquister know!" :downs:

Atomic Robo-Kid fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 12, 2014

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Are any of the FF games on android worth bothering with?

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
Still haven't got any of my codes for Lightning Returns because I'm horrible and caved and pre-ordered the game. :sigh:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Jesus christ Noel is long winded as poo poo. I never thought that boss fight was gonna happen, anyways I beat Noel and it took me about six loving minutes, I should not be surprised though given he was hitting me with slows and I couldn't really defend against those and on top of that I didn't have a lot in the way of debuffs. I need to remember use them though instead of just going in with magic and attacks.

EDIT: Also if you haven't gotten your pre-order codes from Amazon then just hit up their customer service and they'll email you some, this is what I did.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Confirmed the cloud suit and sword code shows up in the box.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I still hold by my promise not to buy Lightning Returns, but from some streams I've been watching, the Cloud outfit is every bit as good as people said it was.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Are any of the FF games on android worth bothering with?

Get Dimensions if you want a new game in the SNES mode/style, FF5 if you really like FF5 (or have never played it on another platform), and pass on the rest. FF3/4/6 are fine games but the Android versions of them are suspect as hell.

Basically they're all either bad games or bad ports of good games. Dimensions is the only original title worth bothering with, and the sprites are kind of offputting, but it's the closest thing we'll probably ever get to a new 8/16 bit Final Fantasy.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I don't know which audio track is worst in FF13LR. I don't even understand Japanese and it sounds like they are phoning it in as much as the English audio.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Confirmed the cloud suit and sword code shows up in the box.

No Cloud code in the box here, just the SE club code thing and the "manual" that's just a foldout. Ah well, I'll just e-mail Amazon tomorrow.

Liking the game so far, though it feels weird to have monsters pop up randomly in town. Earlyish spoilers: It's dumb that I have to wait for the heretic code to appear on the walls in Luxerion when I heard the guy say it into the phone during the cutscene. They coulda muffled it or something. Messing around with outfits and weapons is already addicting though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Static Rook posted:

No Cloud code in the box here, just the SE club code thing and the "manual" that's just a foldout. Ah well, I'll just e-mail Amazon tomorrow.

Liking the game so far, though it feels weird to have monsters pop up randomly in town. Earlyish spoilers: It's dumb that I have to wait for the heretic code to appear on the walls in Luxerion when I heard the guy say it into the phone during the cutscene. They coulda muffled it or something. Messing around with outfits and weapons is already addicting though.

The code only works at that specific time and they change it every day. Once the guy used it, that was it for the day. I thought it was weird too until I caught that. Admittedly it's still dumb that they leave their hidden password as GLOWING SIGILS ON A WALL but...

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
There are so many quests that are there just to watse time...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gologle posted:

There are so many quests that are there just to watse time...

Every quest in the game gives you rewards, both in the form of improved stats and new equipment/money/adornments.

If you mean that there are a lot of sidequests which have little to do with the plot but largely exist as an excuse to fight enemies or talk to people, that is true, but is also is basically the definition of video game sidequests. I'm not fond of them myself but they're something people explicitly asked to return so I assume someone does.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 12, 2014

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
Apparently Amazon forgot to flag my order for pre-order bonuses so I get to wait 48 hours until their Promotions department decides if I'm eligible for them.

On the game side of things, I thought people were exaggerating about Hope being obnoxious. Jesus christ Hope, stop calling me after I find clues to tell me, they are in fact, clues.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

McDragon posted:

I liked Mog's voice on the whole, but "kupo" should just be the noise they made in IX for every game. That is a kupo. Saying it is not apart from being Kupo for Kupo Nuts. IX Moogles are still the best.

It had my favourite Moogle (who is not a team member who kills gods with the power of THE DANCE): Stiltzkin, the Amazing Travelling Moogle!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Eesh I don't think I've ever seen an FF game get below 70% on Metacritic, besides the original FF14 which literally does not exist anymore.

I mean I would proclaim SE dead but Bravely Default just came out and that's pretty much exactly what I've wanted them to make for a while.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

it's the closest thing we'll probably ever get to a new 8/16 bit Final Fantasy.

Bravely Default :v: Unless you mean strictly in terms of 2D and the artstyle.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Lightning in response to Chocolina: "Please stop talking." has to be my favourite line so far.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Eesh I don't think I've ever seen an FF game get below 70% on Metacritic, besides the original FF14 which literally does not exist anymore.

I mean I would proclaim SE dead but Bravely Default just came out and that's pretty much exactly what I've wanted them to make for a while.

Seems like most reviews praise the battle system and gameplay, but complain that the story and characters are still the same terrible stuff that the XIII series has been serving all along. Which is sort of funny, since these same review outlets were the ones that gave XIII such glowing reviews when it came out. I'm sensing a bit of internet backlash-inspired revisionism.

Also, some are complaining that it's frustratingly difficult, while others are complaining that it's too easy.

Edit: vvv Some seem to say the battles in general are tough, not just time management. Although a lot say completing quests is frustrating when the game doesn't give you enough direction.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Feb 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

Also, some are complaining that it's frustratingly difficult, while others are complaining that it's too easy.

I can pretty comfortably say that anyone who is complaining that there isn't enough time in the game is just kind of Bad At Video Games. The rest is give and take but having trouble with the time system involves forgetting you have the ability to effectively infinitely stop time.

I think the ease/difficulty is also probably based on how much you understand the mechanics. As I said I was literally able to make myself invincible through proper gear setup. I imagine anyone complaining it is too hard is basically ramming their head at the problem instead of actually altering their schema. It's a Final Fantasy game. They're not hard.