Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
It just means that the item is unremovable. The only item that applies curses to the user is the Knife of the Damned, which "curses everyone it touches."

Unfortunately, giving a unit a cursed item binds it to that unit as soon as you do so, so either be ready to quit and restart your turn, or be super-sure about to whom you're handing the magic eyes. Horror Marks aren't applied by items until they've been in possession for a turn, so you can pick and choose who is holding your Lightless Lanterns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

MagnumOpus posted:

I'm on a 4-player Disciple team. If I throw down Mother Oak am I the only one that gets the 5N/turn or does my whole team get it for a total of 20N/turn?

EDIT: More newbie questions actually. Can someone shed some light on the 'Curse' effect vs. 'cursed items'? Do items referred to as Cursed give you the Curse effect or is it just an indicator that the item has some weird traits like Armor of Thorns being irremovable?

Also how do Horror Marks and Taint and everything all mix in with this?

Gem income globals only give income to the caster.

Globals that have an effect based on dominion or on territory are supposed to work for everyone on the team, but apparently this was bugged in some way?

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

TheDemon posted:

Gem income globals only give income to the caster.

I figured and that seems more balanced.

TheDemon posted:

Globals that have an effect based on dominion or on territory are supposed to work for everyone on the team, but apparently this was bugged in some way?

Hmm. I just put up Gift of Health in our Disciples game so I'll have the rest of the team pay close attention to see if it seems to be working for them.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical

Speleothing posted:

It just means that the item is unremovable. The only item that applies curses to the user is the Knife of the Damned, which "curses everyone it touches."

Unfortunately, giving a unit a cursed item binds it to that unit as soon as you do so, so either be ready to quit and restart your turn, or be super-sure about to whom you're handing the magic eyes. Horror Marks aren't applied by items until they've been in possession for a turn, so you can pick and choose who is holding your Lightless Lanterns.

Don't forget the Gift of Kurgi!

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know the exact impact on income that Wrath of the Sea inflicts on coastal provinces? I cast it in a game here but have no idea how much it's doing (even if it were 100% effective, the other player is still going to be able to afford upkeep, but it would be nice to know for the future).

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Barono posted:

Don't forget the Gift of Kurgi!

How is this item supposed to be used? On the one hand I know send lesser horror for free is great, on the other the fear bonus is excellent on an SC, and I enjoy watching them swat horrors.

pagodapie
Nov 11, 2013
Just signed up for GGS, hopefully someone can approve me.

Steam profile:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/pagodapie/games/

Thanks!

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Donkringel posted:

How is this item supposed to be used? On the one hand I know send lesser horror for free is great, on the other the fear bonus is excellent on an SC, and I enjoy watching them swat horrors.

It turns an expendable thug into an SC. Give em a brand and a shield and watch them absolutely wreck poo poo. Just be ready for them to be devoured by horrors at the worst possible time.

edit: also send lesser horror is garbage in Dom 4, don't bother using the gift for that.

Schneeble
May 4, 2010

The grandest hats
or GTFO.
I am taking a break from dinomod updates and thought I'd try my hand at another hex map. This one is for a 12-player disciple game, divided into 4 teams of 3. Everything is more or less symmetrical. There are some ocean provinces around the edges and caves in the middle, some some river crossings and mountain passes and choke points where hexes don't connect to their neighbors, and in the caves there is a connection along the edge of other hexes as the tunnels go "underneath."

The city icons show start locations but are not part of the in-game map.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Eschatos posted:

It turns an expendable thug into an SC. Give em a brand and a shield and watch them absolutely wreck poo poo. Just be ready for them to be devoured by horrors at the worst possible time.

edit: also send lesser horror is garbage in Dom 4, don't bother using the gift for that.
Even regular horrors are massively toned down, unless you get the 'legit' Horror from Dom 3.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Huh? I think Send Horror has gotten better. Goretides and Mind Slimes are very effective at what they do.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

amuayse posted:

Huh? I think Send Horror has gotten better. Goretides and Mind Slimes are very effective at what they do.

Mind slimes like to make skeletons and murder them. Though entertaining it isn't terribly effective.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Eh, that's only 25% of them. But generally they cast rather good astral spells and can take on most provinces easily. I agree though about lesser horors. They're pretty terrible except Lesser Horror and Float Cat.

amuayse fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 13, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Lesser Horrors aren't amazing, Greater and Doom Horrors are nasty fuckers though.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
I'm trying to figure out Fomoria in a test SP game and running into some issues. I really want to like this nation because Dance of the Morrigans looks fun as hell, but conjuration 8 is ridiculously far out along the research tree, especially when I consider that I want some evo for lightning mages and probably construction+alt for SC giants.

Does anyone have some thoughts on what this nation can do effectively in the midgame? Or is it just all blessed giants all the way? They really seem starved for magic diversity and I'm not sure what to do with the A/D combo.

TheresNoThyme fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Feb 13, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Nemedians are bullshit. That is all.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Early on take advantage of the Nemedian Sorceress as they are not slow to recruit. Your cap is really badly taxed between those, the Fomorian Kings, the Unmarked and the Nemedian Warriors. Nemedian Warriors are excellent raiders and either they or Fir Bolg can fill the gaps between size 4 Unmarked. All of Enchantment, Evocation or Alteration have useful spells up to level 7: Horde of Skeletons, Rigor Mortis, Life After Death, Mass Flight, Thunder Strike, Storm, False Fetters, Wind Guide, Drain Life, Darkness, Fog Warriors just to name a small handful.

Fomoria is one of those somewhat counter-intuitive nations where you can get a big benefit out of going heavy production and milking your cap for all it's worth. 7 Unmarked cost 189 resources, then you need a cap mage which can cost 1 or 37, and then you want to fill the rest with Nemedian Warriors. Or ignore your sacreds (and the corresponding N9 bless) entirely in favor of just doubling down on Nemedian Warriors. They're seriously useful.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Nemedian warriors are unbelievably irritating; strong, fast, stealthy. Aagh.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

TheresNoThyme posted:

I'm trying to figure out Fomoria in a test SP game and running into some issues. I really want to like this nation because Dance of the Morrigans looks fun as hell, but conjuration 8 is ridiculously far out along the research tree, especially when I consider that I want some evo for lightning mages and probably construction+alt for SC giants.

Does anyone have some thoughts on what this nation can do effectively in the midgame? Or is it just all blessed giants all the way? They really seem starved for magic diversity and I'm not sure what to do with the A/D combo.

Midgame you want to be leaning on lots and lots of raiding via glamour, sailing, amphibious armies, and thugs. Your main armies should be laying down lots of thunderstrike. Air elementals are also a pretty solid midgame option, since even the small ones are quick flying ethereal size3 tramplers and you can spit out a bunch of them when you need to. You have lots of chaff via undead and illusions, as well.

Lategame you'll have morrigans and fomorian king SCs, and you won't need much else.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

This a weird question but, at what turn you usually reach the "late game"?

Do you even reach it? Do you reach levels 8-9 of magic paths?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
In Dom3 the lategame was when people started rolling around the map with elemental royalty and tarts, in Dom4 those things all come much later and in general are nerfed significantly so I don't think anyone really knows what the Dom4 lategame looks like right now; if the games I've seen are any example then the Dom4 lategame looks like a giant clusterfuck.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I know from reading it in several places that research costs were cheaper in Dom3, so people used more the national armies in Dom4. It seems a good idea.

But that said, I wonder if they went a bit too far, the later levels (7-8-9) are insane to unlock, maybe you can rush one if you focus your research on it for most of the game, but most nations need several paths at level 5-6 (evocation for these battle mages, alteration for these thugs, thaumaturgy for this global ritual, construction of course, etc).

From what I've seen, games are already won or at least they decided before anyone reaches level 8 of any school (maybe the game isn't won, but there is a player clearly on control and mopping up).

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
So I've been running tests on the vampire queen, and despite her tooltip she does not appear to gain any increase in her dismal freespawn rate regardless of domscore. After a few dozen tests I ended with between 0 and 8 vampires by turn 37 regardless of my domscore being 1 or 10. If there is an effect from domscore, it's very small and would take a very, very long time to test.

Seriously, what the gently caress

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 13, 2014

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I just started up a game as the Sidhe/Tuatha to try them out and a couple of things came up at the start of the second turn. First, this guy showed up:

Then I got a look at the independents near my capital:

:wtc:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Safety Factor posted:

Then I got a look at the independents near my capital:

:wtc:

Hahahahahaha.

What has probably happened is the commanders are all holding 'make army appear larger' items like idols of war. Alternately you actually do have elephant city as a neighbor.

Run a scout in set to retreat and see what is actually there.

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."

Safety Factor posted:

I just started up a game as the Sidhe/Tuatha to try them out and a couple of things came up at the start of the second turn. First, this guy showed up:

If you ever get that guy in a real game: he has a hidden magic path boost, so if you empower him in any path, he's automatically at 2.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Neruz posted:

Hahahahahaha.

What has probably happened is the commanders are all holding 'make army appear larger' items like idols of war. Alternately you actually do have elephant city as a neighbor.

Run a scout in set to retreat and see what is actually there.

No those are real i assure you, that bug has been around since i first posted about it during beta wherein i had a game with 500 of the fuckers.

Also dear god everything about lugh is so fantastically op

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Comrade Question posted:

If you ever get that guy in a real game: he has a hidden magic path boost, so if you empower him in any path, he's automatically at 2.

Besides, he is your only natural source of fire magic, since none of the recruitable Tuatha mages have fire paths.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

How recently was this game on sale? I'm itching to pick it up but the price is just a little too high at the moment.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Turin Turambar posted:

I know from reading it in several places that research costs were cheaper in Dom3, so people used more the national armies in Dom4. It seems a good idea.

But that said, I wonder if they went a bit too far, the later levels (7-8-9) are insane to unlock, maybe you can rush one if you focus your research on it for most of the game, but most nations need several paths at level 5-6 (evocation for these battle mages, alteration for these thugs, thaumaturgy for this global ritual, construction of course, etc).

From what I've seen, games are already won or at least they decided before anyone reaches level 8 of any school (maybe the game isn't won, but there is a player clearly on control and mopping up).

I would say broadly that, independent of research, early/mid/late corresponds to which pretenders are awake. All the imprisoned pretenders waking up and bringing (probably) extremely high-end magic into play heralds late-game, whatever the research levels are.

Another thing to note is that research costs weren't increased *that much*. It takes 9550RP to go from 1-8 in a school in dom4, versus 2820RP in dom3. However, mages generate RP at basically twice the rate in dom4 across the board, so if you normalize for that it's only a 70% increase point cost to hit level 8, and less than that in turns since RP generation grows geometrically for most nations. Realistically this just means by late-game you'll have to actually focus on your goals and hit one or two level 8 targets, rather than having level 8 in practically everything (which was absolutely achievable in dom3).

It's also worth pointing out that the lower research levels are actually easier to hit in dom4, with the inflection point somewhere between level 4/5.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

Level 7 in a chosen school by midgame is totally obtainable without too much effort for nearly any nation. Getting multiple level 7+s takes a fair bit more effort. Though if you are a strong research nation like Arco, you will probably be getting into 8-9 territory in a normal game. At least that's been my experience so far.

Popular late game stuff has mostly just been more like midgame+ from what I've seen. It's harder to tri-immune your guys so standalone SCs aren't as common and the stronger buffs/gem summons get a lot more visibility. Also, since more people are using armies of things and immunizing against elements isn't nearly as easy you get to see a lot of cool poo poo like firestorm more regularly.

Oh and elementals. Elemental spam has always been powerful and I've had a couple games now where both sides are summoning up a good dozen or more elementals in combat. Something as simple as a water elemental with quickness/iron warriors can easily take a geared thug on his own. If you have multiples, buffs aren't even necessary.

Tartarians are akin to a victory lap. Once someone has a tart factory going unopposed it's probably over. GoH is extremely heavily contested for this reason.

EDIT: Also due to the lack of gemgens nexus doesn't feel like a gamewinner anymore in a normal sized game. It doesn't gather enough gems quickly enough to pay for itself assuming someone dispels it immediately. It's not like dom3 where those brief turns of it being up would be sufficient to fuel a second casting after the dispel with even more gems.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 13, 2014

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
I've been trying my hand at some mapmaking. The idea I started with is that this is the "historical" map of the territory of Ermor:

The darker red-brown color is where there will be hills/highlands, dark blue-green is swamp.

I want to do hills/mountains/trees in the same style as the Jason Lutes maps (Cradle/Glory), but GIMP is being difficult - it looks like the only way to get what I want is to make them as brushes, and then be very careful not to drag the mouse when putting them onto the map. Which is pretty dumb.

Schneeble
May 4, 2010

The grandest hats
or GTFO.

Kenlon posted:

I want to do hills/mountains/trees in the same style as the Jason Lutes maps (Cradle/Glory), but GIMP is being difficult - it looks like the only way to get what I want is to make them as brushes, and then be very careful not to drag the mouse when putting them onto the map. Which is pretty dumb.

That is pretty dumb, but you seem to be off to an excellent start. Looking forward to the result!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Fuckit

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 13, 2014

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Kenlon posted:

I've been trying my hand at some mapmaking. The idea I started with is that this is the "historical" map of the territory of Ermor:

The darker red-brown color is where there will be hills/highlands, dark blue-green is swamp.

I'm not a mega guru of GIMP, but I could see two ways of going about this without needing pixel-perfect mouse aim.

1: Draw the forest and hill and whatnot decals in a separate image as separate layers with an alpha channel. Then copy-n-paste layers over to the map image, and shuffle them around. When you're happy with, say, a province's worth of decals, merge them down into a single big layer. Using layers will get you the most control over the result, but will also take more time since you'll have to fiddle with a lot of layers.

2: Use the brushes, but create 2 different views of the map image. One should be zoomed in less, so you can see your changes in the general area you're working on. The second one that you use to actually click on with the brush, should be zoomed way in, so you don't need super accurate mouse work to hit just a single pixel. Brushes will be quicker, but you'll be constantly overwriting existing image data, making mistakes harder to fix.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Probability of the weaker astral mage winning a magic duel with a maximum S level difference of 5 is: y = 0.5x^2 - 6.5x + 21 where x is the difference between the higher and lower S level in the magic duel and P(magic duel victory!) = y/36 is the probability of success or tie. To get the probability of the stronger mage winning subtract the result from 1.

If the difference is greater than 5 the stronger mage will always win.

Nothing to seehere's formula which also works:
P(magic duel victory!) = 1/72*(n-8)(n-7) where n is stronger mage's S - weaker mage's S +1. Again, maximum acceptable S level difference of 5. To get the probability of the stronger mage winning subtract the result from 1.

This sperg post brought to you by the #dom4goons irc chat.
:spergin:

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 13, 2014

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

see username

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Oh my word, are we back to the magic duel?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
My god just post a chart no one wants to do that math (i like math and i still don't want to do it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I Love You! posted:

My god just post a chart no one wants to do that math (i like math and i still don't want to do it)

I didn't save my excel plot that I made at work while "working". Sorry.

• Locked thread