Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
semiavrage
Apr 28, 2007

I'll show them... I'll show ALL of them...

Agrikk posted:

^^^ drat you. Lucky sonofabitch.

I don't understand how keys pop off of laptop keyboards. Seriously folks. What the gently caress are you doing that makes a button that is designed to be pressed down pop UP off the keyboard?

The worse thing I ever did to a computer to break it was spill coffee on it. All the keys worked fine except one, the F8 key. The F8 key was permanently stuck down. The F8 key is the key that boots into the BIOS.

The morning I had a very important exam due was also the morning I decided to restart my computer. I tried to get it to boot for a solid 90 minutes, than pried the key off with a knife, than scraped the rubber dome off of the board. NOTHING FIXED IT. Ended up pulling the harddrive out and pulling the files off at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Sirotan posted:

A server did not come in. We've got two on order from Dell and the shipping date has been pushed back twice now. My boss just followed up with our rep yet again and was told that not only are OUR servers delayed, but ALL servers on order are delayed due to a shortage of....internal power cables.

:stonklol:

A quick google brings up nothing to support this. Anyone else waiting on a shipment from Dell been told this?

From the vendor that says using VLC voids your warranty, I can see it:
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3517/t/19492918.aspx

quote:

Tech Support will refuse warranty service for speaker problems if the VLC media player is installed on the laptop. This exclusion is NOT disclosed in the laptop warranty! Remove all players before contacting Tech Support, leaving only Windows Media Player.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Sirotan posted:

A server did not come in. We've got two on order from Dell and the shipping date has been pushed back twice now. My boss just followed up with our rep yet again and was told that not only are OUR servers delayed, but ALL servers on order are delayed due to a shortage of....internal power cables.

:stonklol:

A quick google brings up nothing to support this. Anyone else waiting on a shipment from Dell been told this?

Dell is completely hosed. I waited a week and a half on a quote, and I think everyone is dreading that 15,000 layoffs. It's showing.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I haven't been paying attention, what's going on with Dell? My rep has gotten me ~ $100k worth of stuff recently with no issues at all.

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer

dogstile posted:

I had this with a spider once. I also get bugs in my hair on occasion because I own a cat who doesn't understand that the correct bed he should be in is on the floor and looks like an old towel wrapped up in a feeble attempt to get the cat off my drat bed (he'd wake me up at 3am by scratching my chest until blood showed so i'd let him out). This prompted a conversation with a colleague who saw me pick a beetle out of my hair once and said "dude, you have lice".

No, its a beetle you nimwit. Yes, I did shower today, it was tangled up in my roots (I had long hair at the time).

Bugs are the worst and now I check for them every time I go to bed, even though I know i've not had the cat in my room for a year.

Can we please get some kind of elaboration on how a cat puts bugs in your hair

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
A possible :yotj: came in. It's for a network admin job 3 miles away from my current position.

20K more a year + a 10% bonus.
Debian serves.
3 Weeks of vacation, plus full benefits.

I will know in final tomorrow, but holy poo poo that would be awesome.

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

Theresa Frontpage posted:

Can we please get some kind of elaboration on how a cat puts bugs in your hair

I'm wondering myself how you can wash your hair and somehow miss having a beetle in there. I don't really buy being "tangled up in [the] roots" as a valid reason; if you properly washed your hair you would have found it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I also need clarification on that. I've had two outside cats. Neither of them ever brought beetles in. And if they did, they never ended up in the bed. You sound like a goony gently caress if you sleep in a bed full of beetles and washing your hair in the morning doesn't remove them.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I haven't been paying attention, what's going on with Dell? My rep has gotten me ~ $100k worth of stuff recently with no issues at all.

I've had a lot of trouble the last three months with delayed orders, orders that never ship, reps quitting or no longer answering email. I think Dell is a sinking ship.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Yeah, I just want to spend a low 15-20k and priority is assigned accordingly (as if my 60k in equallogic purchases weren't enough).

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Didn't Dell just buy out the stock so he could take Dell private again? Wtf is going on over there?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Johnny Aztec posted:

Didn't Dell just buy out the stock so he could take Dell private again? Wtf is going on over there?

I don't know, they are ALL OVER the job boards, it looks like they're trying to staff a large services division. Dell platform as a service?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Apex Rogers posted:

I'm wondering myself how you can wash your hair and somehow miss having a beetle in there. I don't really buy being "tangled up in [the] roots" as a valid reason; if you properly washed your hair you would have found it.

Cat leaves bugs on my bed (they're alive), bugs crawl into my hair while I sleep. Trust me, I was as surprised at finding a small beetle in there too, in all fairness that shower I had was quite literally a quick in and out because I was running late. I plan a bit better now, but yeah, wasn't nice. Was a bit grossed out and i've been really paranoid about bugs in my hair ever since then.

So no, it wasn't really a proper wash. It was a "dude, you're sweaty, get in the shower, use antiperspirant and leave so you're not late".

My hairs nice and short now anyway, so its much easier to manage.

Cojawfee posted:

I also need clarification on that. I've had two outside cats. Neither of them ever brought beetles in. And if they did, they never ended up in the bed. You sound like a goony gently caress if you sleep in a bed full of beetles and washing your hair in the morning doesn't remove them.

See above. Also, shits a lot cleaner now, i'm not a teenager anymore. I also had this great habit of walking into my room, getting into bed and falling asleep after a night out on black bedsheets, so its not as if i'm really going to notice a small beetle in the dark. I could probably show you what I looked like back then compared to now, if you want :shrug: It was a simpler time, where cleanliness was more of a "check you don't smell, that'll do" than anything else.

Before you ask, i'm not proud of it. Don't worry.

E: In fact here, i'm going to bed and I assume you'll be curious, this is the hair I had when this happened, I believe it actually happened the day after this picture was taken (beach party the night before going into work). As you can see, I cleaned up my act a lot when I stopped working at the local warhammer shop and got into a proper job.

http://s278.photobucket.com/user/dogstilez/media/ME-1.jpg.html?sort=2&o=21 <Before and now> http://s278.photobucket.com/user/dogstilez/media/Picture5.jpg.html?sort=2&o=27

dogstile fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 12, 2014

skooky
Oct 2, 2013
:airquote: Restructure

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
That Dell poo poo is going to be fun when it's time for hardware refresh this fall. We're already running a shop full of 755/760 desktops and E4300/E6400 lappys that are all both out of warranty (duh) and mostly on their last legs.

Why we're doing WinXP->Win7 on the current hardware (and Bitlocker is finding a shitton of hosed HDDs, hurray!) and then doing refresh in the fall instead of doing it all at once makes no sense to me.

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

Last week: A ticket came in last week with a deleted network folder. Not knowing when it might have been deleted, I went backup diving and could find no folder no matter how far back I went.
Turns out I could not find it in the backup because it was never in the location we looked; it was never actually missing in the first place, the user just misremembered the folder name.

This week: A box of chocolate came in :3:

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf

incoherent posted:

Dell is completely hosed. I waited a week and a half on a quote, and I think everyone is dreading that 15,000 layoffs. It's showing.

We recently switched to Lenovo for servers/desktops and their turnaround is a bit obscene. We can order a server and "next day" delivery, and it actually shows up the next day, whereas the lead time through Dell is generally 1-2 weeks.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

xov posted:

We can order a server and "next day" delivery, and it actually shows up the next day, whereas the lead time through Dell is generally 1-2 weeks.
What kind of properly planned business would have a need for a next-day server?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

nexxai posted:

We have this big project that needs to spin up tomorrow. Here's the server we need. High priority.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's very handy in a DR situation as well if you aren't big enough to replicate anything offsite except your data and the roof has just fallen through/flooded etc.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

We have this big project that needs to spin up tomorrow.
If it's such a big project, why wasn't the project given enough time to procure assets? What happens if Lenovo can't deliver next day due to weather issues?

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf

Caged posted:

It's very handy in a DR situation as well if you aren't big enough to replicate anything offsite except your data and the roof has just fallen through/flooded etc.

This exactly.
Most of my clients don't have the budget to keep around backup servers. The majority of them are small businesses or non-profits that we've quoted upgrades for but they keep delaying... and delaying... and delaying... until one day their old 2006 server that they bought on ebay before we picked them up as a client craps the bed and they need a new one yesterday. Next-day shipping is handy in that case. Sometimes it's hard to find the magic words to explain that this exact situation is inevitable, but some owners refuse to pay attention until it's too late.

edit: I work for a small local MSP. For the clients who have a poo poo ton of money, we're doing everything by the book. For the smaller ones, we're often restricted by their budget.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

nexxai posted:

If it's such a big project, why wasn't the project given enough time to procure assets? What happens if Lenovo can't deliver next day due to weather issues?

Because people are dumb.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

nexxai posted:

None. Reading this thread, what percentage of businesses do you imagine to be properly planned?

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

guppy posted:

None. Reading this thread, what percentage of businesses do you imagine to be properly planned?

LET ME TELL YOU A LITTLE SOMETHING ABOUT DEVOPS

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

guppy posted:

Even Dick Trauma, who's got the biggest, fanciest, outlyingest pod has his share of poor planning and mis-management.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

Even Dick Trauma, who's got the biggest, fanciest, outlyingest pod has his share of poor planning and mis-management.
My company policy is to not work with clients who don't totally understand the concepts of planning and capital expenditures. We're not going to try and fight our clients when it comes to our shared interests - that interest being their company succeeding while using IT assets to get there. If they are going to drop a huge project on us and expect an unrealistic turnaround time or that a very pricey project should be done for peanuts, we'll politely explain that it's not possible, and if they're not OK with that, we'll gladly help them transition to a provider who is willing to work with them on the timeline or budget that they believe is necessary.

I've turned away tons of business and will likely have to do so for a long time, but I'm not going to let my employees (who are my bread and butter) feel like they're being asked to do the impossible just because some prick who's paying us hasn't taken an introductory to time management class.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Thats great and all but you do understand that there are companies that handle all this internally and decisions are routinely made by people who have no idea what the work actually entails

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

go3 posted:

Thats great and all but you do understand that there are companies that handle all this internally and decisions are routinely made by people who have no idea what the work actually entails

I just got a new ticket. The ticket has me building 30 physical servers in the DMZ in a boot-from-SAN configuration (Meaning that I'll have to coordinate with networking, data security, storage and datacenter smart hands).

Due date? October 15, 2013. I asked the PM about it and he said that the date was correct.

This project was due before it started.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Good news everyone! Dell has found a supply of internal power cables, and our servers are going into production. They should be here by the middle of next week!

Yes I swear to god, that is what we have been told verbatim by our Dell rep.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

go3 posted:

Oh I get that 100%, all I'm saying is that I make it company policy not to do business with companies like that, and that it isn't a foregone conclusion.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Agrikk posted:

I just got a new ticket. The ticket has me building 30 physical servers in the DMZ in a boot-from-SAN configuration (Meaning that I'll have to coordinate with networking, data security, storage and datacenter smart hands).

Due date? October 15, 2013. I asked the PM about it and he said that the date was correct.

Ticket status: Closed, unresolved
Status reason: Delorean malfunctioning

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Because they're not their things, they're the company's things.

Exactly. At my previous job I gave zero fucks about that drat laptop. I hated it. Took 20 minutes to get to my email from a cold boot if I had to work from home (boot, log in, log in to VPN, start Lotus Notes, notice the loving VPN hadn't actually connected and start VPN again, cancel out of the same loving log in dialog box that DID NOTHING 4 times, watch as my screen slowly refreshed). I wanted to toss that bitch right out the window. Wanted to. Never did. Because I'm not a loving child. When I turned it in, yeah it was a bit greasy and dusty, but it worked. Again, because I'm a goddamned adult and you learn to take some sort of care of your tools.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Some lady that was let go returned a laptop and all the keys had melted chocolate on them. It was loving disgusting. Another dude left his laptop on the top of his car and drove away. Someone else left his laptop on the seat of his convertible with the top down and got it stolen from a church parking lot. We pay out of the rear end for accidental damage because people are loving assholes with their stuff.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Agrikk posted:

Sounds like they're paving the way for the bus that you're getting thrown under.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

We once had a laptop returned to us from an Indian gentleman that had curry smell just embedded into the plastic. It wasn't coming out and stank up a good chunk of the office. We just wiped it and tossed it, it wasn't fit to be reused.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I may have mentioned this some time back, but I was once asked to deal with a computer that literally had organic matter growing on it. I told them I wasn't touching it until it had been cleaned and disinfected.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Watch out for that speculum bucket.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

guppy posted:

I may have mentioned this some time back, but I was once asked to deal with a computer that literally had organic matter growing on it. I told them I wasn't touching it until it had been cleaned and disinfected.

I hear speculum bucket slime is an excellent fertilizer, c/d?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Office 365 support is a goddamn joke.

I wonder what sort of information is passed on through the admin panel when you put in a support ticket? Number of user licenses? Is the text I put in even passed on?

We've been experiencing an extremely aggravating problem where users have their credentials randomly dropped, prompting them to re-enter their subscription information. For one guy this happened after his battery ran dry over the weekend. Our COO had it happen three times in three days with no discernible cause. Putting in a detailed description through the Administration panel and filing a ticket literally just dumped a 'call this guy back I guess' ticket into the general microsoft user support queue, prompting some rear end in a top hat to call insisting a screen share was the only way he could troubleshoot, and wouldn't believe me when I said I was talking about our users, not myself. It's as though he didn't even have access to the ticket I submitted, he was taken aback when I told him I was using OSX, something I specified in the text.

Please don't use Office 365.

• Locked thread