Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Upland lottery winners: myself and a couple of friends are making the trek down to Indianapolis next Monday, 17th, to pick up bottles and otherwise do beer-related things. I'm willing to pickup for people and ship with some caveats.

Right now, I think we're only hitting Indy, not Bloomington. If you selected Bloomington as your pickup location, we may or may not be able to help you. Feel free to contact me anyway. We might make a last second decision.

Due to weather, an upcoming vacation, two business trips, buying a house, and moving all in the next 6 weeks, I probably won't be able to get bottles out until late March at best. If this doesn't work for you, you'll need to make other arrangements.

We can figure out payment on a case by case basis. I'd be okay with getting money for money bottles shipped back or something like that. Or just take PP. Either way.

Anyway, if you're interested, shoot me an email at dan DOT p DOT harmon AT gmail. To pick up, I'll need a copy of your license.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
^nice offer, by the way (no sarcasm)

nosleep posted:

That's good to hear. Cafe Royale is awesome and I have a bottle of the Siren Noire that I picked up a couple weeks ago. Maybe I should just go ahead and get another one. Also had their Yule Tide seasonal beer recently and I thought it was incredible.

by the way, no, Siren Noire is nowhere close to Cafe Royale- it is thinner, more chocolaty, and much sweeter (in a bad way), with far less bourbon barrel character. Cafe Royale brings it many elements together perfectly, but Siren Noire- at least when fresh- is a bit of a mess.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

funkybottoms posted:

by the way, no, Siren Noire is nowhere close to Cafe Royale- it is thinner, more chocolaty, and much sweeter (in a bad way), with far less bourbon barrel character. Cafe Royale brings it many elements together perfectly, but Siren Noire- at least when fresh- is a bit of a mess.

Well that's one opinion. There's also the fact that the beer changed this year from previous offerings.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Went to Burial Beer again this weekend and they continue to impress me. For such a small place they have a great variety. On tap they had a rye pale ale, a brett wild ale, a coffee saison, a tripel, a barleywine and a barrel aged imperial stout. I had the coffee saison first, and it was very interesting. It was a light amber colored beer and the coffee had a lot of really fruity notes. Unfortunately the beer wasn't really malty enough for the coffee and it was fairly tannic and too acidic for my tastes. The brett wild ale was fantastic though, it was just on the verge of being too funky for me but didn't go too far. It had an almost musty quality that was really nice.

Right now I'm drinking a French Broad ESB and it's great. Super biscuity and a well balanced hop bite. Coming from a city with one brewery and one brewpub I am loving living in a place with so many local breweries.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Midorka posted:

Well that's one opinion. There's also the fact that the beer changed this year from previous offerings.

no, pretty sure i'm right and that Siren Noire was just as not-good three years ago.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

funkybottoms posted:

no, pretty sure i'm right and that Siren Noire was just as not-good three years ago.

Hey man you're welcome to your opinion, but the recipe has been changed as have the procedures. The way you phrased it is pretty condescending towards someone who enjoys it though and could only lead to hostility in a response or no response at all. We're all here to discuss beer though, so I assume that you'd actually like to discuss the merits of a particular beer you're posting about.

Enjoying a Troegnator out of a can, this is the best beer day of my life!

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'

funkybottoms posted:

You kinda sound like a whiny VA homer man, sorry. Why not let people compare two beers even if your opinion differs.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Midorka posted:

Hey man you're welcome to your opinion, but the recipe has been changed as have the procedures. The way you phrased it is pretty condescending towards someone who enjoys it though and could only lead to hostility in a response or no response at all. We're all here to discuss beer though, so I assume that you'd actually like to discuss the merits of a particular beer you're posting about.

Enjoying a Troegnator out of a can, this is the best beer day of my life!

Troegnator is quite good I should pick up some as it has been awhile since I had it.

Finally got around to trying Hi-Res and Sweet Baby Jesus.

Hi-Res: ridiculously smooth for being 111 IBU and 11.1% ABV. I remember being let down by Resin when I first tried it (haven't had it since actually) but this is a good beer.

Sweet Baby Jesus: The taste is what I expected out of a chocolate peanut butter porter however I'm not 100% sold on this one. The peanut flavor tastes a bit too artificial to me. I have yet to have a peanut butter beer that hasn't tasted like this. Maybe this is what happens to PB in liquid form.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

nosleep posted:

You kinda sound like a whiny VA homer man, sorry. Why not let people compare two beers even if your opinion differs.

no, Cafe Royale is orders of magnitude better and happens to be from Virginia, and i'd be just as bothered by someone saying Hardywood Park's saison was better/as good as something from Hill Farmstead. also, half the reason for my response was to keep you from spending another ten bucks based on what i felt was a misleading review. if i wanted to get really picky i probably could've gone through midorka's reviews and pulled out examples of other, far better beers that he has scored lower than Siren Noire, but i don't care that much.

and if i wanted to be really hostile, i'd say something about hating Troegenator, but then again i don't like any doppelbocks

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!
I'm going to a bistro that focuses on heavy garlic dishes as the specialty (on a date ooooo). It's BYOB, so what nice beers in 750ml format might do well here? Online articles point to Gueuze or Sasions, but thinking about the flavors nothing is clicking as especially exciting in my head. Suggestions?

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

Jahoodie posted:

I'm going to a bistro that focuses on heavy garlic dishes as the specialty (on a date ooooo). It's BYOB, so what nice beers in 750ml format might do well here? Online articles point to Gueuze or Sasions, but thinking about the flavors nothing is clicking as especially exciting in my head. Suggestions?

Stone Enjoy By? ;)

actually that doesn't sound too bad...

SirLeigh
Aug 9, 2008

Josh Wow posted:

Went to Burial Beer again this weekend and they continue to impress me. For such a small place they have a great variety. On tap they had a rye pale ale, a brett wild ale, a coffee saison, a tripel, a barleywine and a barrel aged imperial stout. I had the coffee saison first, and it was very interesting. It was a light amber colored beer and the coffee had a lot of really fruity notes. Unfortunately the beer wasn't really malty enough for the coffee and it was fairly tannic and too acidic for my tastes. The brett wild ale was fantastic though, it was just on the verge of being too funky for me but didn't go too far. It had an almost musty quality that was really nice.

Right now I'm drinking a French Broad ESB and it's great. Super biscuity and a well balanced hop bite. Coming from a city with one brewery and one brewpub I am loving living in a place with so many local breweries.

I meant to go by there when I went through Asheville at Thanksgiving, but hours were weird because of the holidays. However, I live in Greensboro and I'm seeing Burial decals often... so that's cool.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

danbanana posted:

Upland lottery winners: myself and a couple of friends are making the trek down to Indianapolis next Monday, 17th, to pick up bottles and otherwise do beer-related things. I'm willing to pickup for people and ship with some caveats.

Right now, I think we're only hitting Indy, not Bloomington. If you selected Bloomington as your pickup location, we may or may not be able to help you. Feel free to contact me anyway. We might make a last second decision.

Due to weather, an upcoming vacation, two business trips, buying a house, and moving all in the next 6 weeks, I probably won't be able to get bottles out until late March at best. If this doesn't work for you, you'll need to make other arrangements.

We can figure out payment on a case by case basis. I'd be okay with getting money for money bottles shipped back or something like that. Or just take PP. Either way.

Anyway, if you're interested, shoot me an email at dan DOT p DOT harmon AT gmail. To pick up, I'll need a copy of your license.

Okay, now it does look like we're hitting Bloomington, if you're looking for pick ups there.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Had two of my biggest personal whales a couple nights ago, Hommage and 2005 Gratitude.

Hommage is incredible stuff, quite sour but mostly just medium tart on the tongue, extremely rich fruit character, just gushing with raspberry and light sweetness of cherry. Like a really great beer smoothie, comparable to Veritas 006 more than anything else I've tried.

The 05 Gratitude held up incredibly well. The oxidation notes add a nice light sherry character but there is still carbonation and the fruity flavors were well-accented with a sort of nutty character. Comparable to and better than the best bottles of Fred and aged Thomas Hardy that I've had.

We had two TH growlers that were the usual fare: "I Love You, Friend" had an incredibly citrus juicy aroma but was a bit lacking on the palate, a really heavy mouthfeel by TH IPA standards, while "Space is Limited" had an interesting banana puree note mixed in with some standard tropical fruit stuff. Dark Horizon 4 is really really awesome but I'm not sure how many times I will buy it at the price point per oz.

The one shitter of the might was BA Alpha Klaus, which was loving garbage. Had a Dr. Pepper character with a light tartness, barely resembled something which started as a porter or was aged in bourbon barrels. I don't even think I drank 2 of my 6 or 7 ounces.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

The one shitter of the might was BA Alpha Klaus, which was loving garbage. Had a Dr. Pepper character with a light tartness, barely resembled something which started as a porter or was aged in bourbon barrels. I don't even think I drank 2 of my 6 or 7 ounces.

I've long passed the hype for FFF but still appreciate most of their regular offerings. But man, their BA'd stuff has ranged from disappointing to outright bad to me. Definitely not their strong suit, which shouldn't be surprising from a brewer that specializes in hoppier styles.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

danbanana posted:

I've long passed the hype for FFF but still appreciate most of their regular offerings. But man, their BA'd stuff has ranged from disappointing to outright bad to me. Definitely not their strong suit, which shouldn't be surprising from a brewer that specializes in hoppier styles.

It's shocking to me that BA Dark Lord is so good when the base beer sucks AND 90% of their other BA beers are pretty bad.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

It's shocking to me that BA Dark Lord is so good when the base beer sucks AND 90% of their other BA beers are pretty bad.

And despite BA DL's quality, absolutely none of it is worth what it trades for.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Anyone going to Brewvival next weekend? I will be there pouring for CCB.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
From the coupons forum, free 1-year subscription to Draft-

http://www.draftmag.com/bjsloyalty/

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
Anyone going to Max's in Baltimore this weekend?

Trying to plan what day and what beers to go after.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Cbear posted:

Anyone going to Max's in Baltimore this weekend?

Trying to plan what day and what beers to go after.

Sunday is usually the easiest-going day. Any time after 11am on Saturday or Friday and you will wait in line.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Founders is having an event this weekend where they will have 50 different firkins of their beers. I'm so there.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 11, 2014

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005

cryme posted:

Sunday is usually the easiest-going day. Any time after 11am on Saturday or Friday and you will wait in line.

Does most of the stuff stay around all weekend? I'd like to try Fou Foune but I'm not sure that will last til Sunday.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

danbanana posted:

Not sure if you've seen this latest email from Upland or not:

quote:

Hi all!

If you have a reservation to pick up Sour ales during the upcoming pickup period, please be advised next Monday, February 17th, the Indianapolis Tasting Room will be closed all day, and the Brew Pub in Bloomington will close at 5:00pm. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Please email sours@uplandbeer.com with questions.

Thank you, and have a great week!

If you're going another day let me know, I was thinking of emailing you regarding a couple bottles I 'won'.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Sirotan posted:

Not sure if you've seen this latest email from Upland or not

Yeah, saw last night. This brewery makes this very difficult...

We're asking if we can do pick up in Bloomington instead of Indy on Monday because of this. If they say yes to us, hopefully they'll say yes to others. I'll let you know what they say. If they say no, then it's doubtful I'll be able to make it down. The other thing that complicates this is Indiana's stupid no-off-premises-on-Sunday law.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Cbear posted:

Does most of the stuff stay around all weekend? I'd like to try Fou Foune but I'm not sure that will last til Sunday.

A lot of stuff lasts, some will kick. I'd say Fou Fone won't last terribly long - but you also don't know when it will be tapped either. They try to space things out so its not an all-out onslaught on the rarer kegs.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005

cryme posted:

A lot of stuff lasts, some will kick. I'd say Fou Fone won't last terribly long - but you also don't know when it will be tapped either. They try to space things out so its not an all-out onslaught on the rarer kegs.

Thanks for the info! Well see what happens. The sour day interests me the most so it might be Sunday anyways.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

If any Chicagoans missed out on Sucaba, Binny's on Grand just put out a few bottles on the shelf.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
I got some pretty good tapes recently. Oddside Ales came out with three different stouts at the same time that I needed to have--Java Mint Chip, Morningwood, and Bourbon Barrel Mayan Mocha--so I purchased and sampled them all in turn. The mint one was very pleasant, the bottle I had was too cold (even though I left it on the counter for hours, the fridge at the store is insanely cold) but I could still get the flavors of mint and coffee. I remember posting about mint stouts here not too long ago, and here's one that is actually pretty good. The coffee and mint are both strong without leaving any weird acidic or metallic flavors, just right on the balance. Only drawback is that the mouth feel was too thin, like with all Oddside stouts. Which is weird considering they have like 30 of them, but what can you do.

Morningwood (bourbon barrel coffee stout) was a big disappointment especially considering the $17.50 (for a four-pack) price tag. Strong coffee taste, but very little barrel coming through except in the nose. The coffee ended up being too strong to the point of being acidic. I actually had a moment the night of drinking this where I woke up in the middle of the night in a moderate panic and thought "NOOOOoooooo what a poor way to spend almost 20 bucks!"

BB Mayan Mocha (coffee/cinnamon/nutmeg/habanero) is the best of the bunch by a long shot. I loved the original, lots of habanero spice, strong but not gross coffee, and the nutmeg and cinnamon are strong enough to make themselves known but not overpowering like 4 Elf or something. Perfectly balanced and a great collection of flavors. A little on the thin side, but this one had a nice creamy mouth feel that made it stand out by comparison. The bourbon barrel version was near identical to the original, except a little less spicy and with a really nice vanilla note added by the barrels. I wish it was higher ABV (and aged longer) because the alcohol heat would really go well with the pepper heat, but $10-11 for a four pack isn't a bad price. I recommend blasting this tape if you see it. I think these are Michigan only currently but whatever.

Also tonight I had my first Plead the 5th and what a treat! Not as good as FIS by a slight margin, but so thick, hearty, bitter, and just soy-saucy enough to be different. Now I'm extra sad that I will probably never have the bourbon barrel version.

krustster fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 12, 2014

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

So I'm dipping into my first ever Hill Farmstead beer, and I'm slightly underwhelmed by Civil Disobedience #6. It's got a nice apricot flavor going, but I can't help but feel like it tastes slightly over-carbonated and not as tart as I'd hoped. Anyone else feel this way? It is improving a bit as I sip on it, though.

I've also got an HF Damon I've been sitting on, what's the verdict on how fresh I should be drinking it?

Quarterroys fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 12, 2014

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

krustster posted:

Also tonight I had my first Plead the 5th and what a treat! Not as good as FIS by a slight margin, but so thick, hearty, bitter, and just soy-saucy enough to be different. Now I'm extra sad that I will probably never have the bourbon barrel version.

BBPT5 seems to have been relatively plentiful this year, going by trade forums. If you're into trading, you should be able to get some without having to give up too much.

It's also really delicious.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Cervixalot posted:

So I'm dipping into my first ever Hill Farmstead beer, and I'm slightly underwhelmed by Civic Disobedience #6. It's got a nice apricot flavor going, but I can't help but feel like it tastes slightly over-carbonated and not as tart as I'd hoped. Anyone else feel this way? It is improving a bit as I sip on it, though.

I've also got an HF Damon I've been sitting on, what's the verdict on how fresh I should be drinking it?

Is regular Damon the bourbon barrel one? I thought there was a non-barrel one but I'm not seeing it.

Also I'm sure I'll never get a chance to try it, but I love that they have a port barrel (and ~double barrel~) one. Port is the master race of wines, and seems like a perfect match for imperial stouts. I'd be all over that poo poo. I mean, I'm sure people already are, but that's something I wish more breweries would do.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Cervixalot posted:

BBPT5 seems to have been relatively plentiful this year, going by trade forums. If you're into trading, you should be able to get some without having to give up too much.

It's also really delicious.

Sadly I generally have little to no "ammo" for trading, due to my remote location. At least as far as things that are in my area. I can get great stuff from Founders, Bells, etc but most people who would have something like BBPT5 would already have access to those. I'll have to stockpile when I hopefully go to California again this year and blow a bunch of dough on trading.

Which reminds me, last year I went to a bar there that had an Almanac "tap takeover" but there were only 4 Almanac beers. Though I did get an awesome BB stout from Full Sail called "Black Gold" which was apparently two years aged at the time. I see there's been a few ABVs over various releases, the one I had was 11.4% (2011 apparently). I wish living on the west coast wasn't impossibly expensive.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Stopped into the Binny's in Elmwood Park tonight and found a case of Darkness on the shelf. Nice. And... a sale? It looked like they were clearing out old stock and completely reorganizing. Most of it was uninteresting (lots of old IPAs) but they (finally) put a few Eclipse variants for half off. Walked out with a 2012 Rittenhouse Rye, which I'm drinking now.

This is the third treatment of this beer and by far my favorite. Smell is heavy with chocolate and rye. Leaves a nice hotness in your mouth that offset the sweetness (and the base beer seems pretty sweet here). Either the previous versions I've had weren't the best (yes, I had the EC12) or I was in a bad mood or this is particularly good with a year plus. But this is absolutely worth $15. Definitely not $30.

Is Evil Twin Yin and Yang worth $4? I've had both beers and wasn't impressed. But they had the blend for 50% off. I passed but if people think it's worth it, i'll snag a couple later.

danbanana fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 12, 2014

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Cervixalot posted:

So I'm dipping into my first ever Hill Farmstead beer, and I'm slightly underwhelmed by Civil Disobedience #6. It's got a nice apricot flavor going, but I can't help but feel like it tastes slightly over-carbonated and not as tart as I'd hoped. Anyone else feel this way? It is improving a bit as I sip on it, though.

HF makes great saisons, but I think the highlights from them for me personally don't include any of the Civil Disobedience series. Anna and Vera Mae are drat near the best saisons I've ever had.

Also, holler at me when you want to crack that Damon; I'm sure I'll have something nice to contribute to a tasting that includes it...

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Cervixalot posted:

i'd drink Damon sooner rather than later, don't think aging it any longer is going to benefit the beer. i've only had CD 2, 3, and 7, so i can't speak for 6.

danbanana posted:

Is Evil Twin Yin and Yang worth $4? I've had both beers and wasn't impressed. But they had the blend for 50% off. I passed but if people think it's worth it, i'll snag a couple later.

if you like hoppy stouts and it's not that old (i had a few bottles of the stout that went soy sauce something fierce), go for it.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

krustster posted:

Sadly I generally have little to no "ammo" for trading, due to my remote location. At least as far as things that are in my area. I can get great stuff from Founders, Bells, etc but most people who would have something like BBPT5 would already have access to those. I'll have to stockpile when I hopefully go to California again this year and blow a bunch of dough on trading.

Which reminds me, last year I went to a bar there that had an Almanac "tap takeover" but there were only 4 Almanac beers. Though I did get an awesome BB stout from Full Sail called "Black Gold" which was apparently two years aged at the time. I see there's been a few ABVs over various releases, the one I had was 11.4% (2011 apparently). I wish living on the west coast wasn't impossibly expensive.

People actually live up in the UP?! Assuming you live in Marquette, you definitely don't have much ammo unless you don't mind taking trips to Wisconsin for some New Glarus.

Odd Side really has been knocking it out of the park - it's nice to see a Michigan brewery get a little creative and bottle some more interesting beers. I just wish they'd up the speciality malts and make their stouts thicker. A little higher ABV wouldn't hurt, either.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

think i might've found the new worst brewery logo ever:

no idea why they're so patriotic about the European Union, either.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Odd Side really has been knocking it out of the park - it's nice to see a Michigan brewery get a little creative and bottle some more interesting beers. I just wish they'd up the speciality malts and make their stouts thicker. A little higher ABV wouldn't hurt, either.

When I was around there in December, a couple people suggested Odd Side. We didn't have enough time to make it but if I make the trip again, it's on my list.

funkybottoms posted:

if you like hoppy stouts and it's not that old (i had a few bottles of the stout that went soy sauce something fierce), go for it.

Thanks. I figure the bottles aren't old enough to soy sauce (especially with the heavy hop presence). If it's still there the next time I stop in, I'll grab one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

DuClaw's Cocoa Fuego is pretty awesome. Lots of chocolate with a persistent chipotle heat. Well done dudes.