Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rob Ford
Aug 12, 2013

by XyloJW

Bonzo posted:

Ugly drums? This was mine in the late 80s. I'm not proud

What kind of metal did you prefer for your cymbal stands for .... tone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I haven't read this thread since the faustus hour, what have I missed?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Third World Reggin posted:

J Mascis rules.

AchtungBaby
Dec 5, 2007

Ed Roman was a creep.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

the boring part of the thread

Dec 26, 2012

actual instrumentchat

survivalstrategy
Oct 19, 2012

Let's see how many people you can kill with the power of love.

King Vidiot posted:

Except that's not really an instrument it's a toy for children. That being said, it looks pretty fun and I wouldn't mind having one to play toss in my closet and never look at.

I got one of these as a Christmas present (the smaller one, not the huge one) and I'd place it in the same category as a kazoo, except that an otamatone has a face and sounds like my cat when I give him a bath. Since most of the thread is about aesthetics then I'd say otamatones are pure awesome just because it's a music note with a cute face on it. I have it on my desk and it never fails to draw confusion / compliments and impromptu hilarious attempts to play it. Though, I wouldn't give it to a child because the neck where you play the notes (there's no buttons or holes but rather a sensor strip thing) looks and feels fragile and a child will likely snap it into two.

Here's a not terrible otamatone player: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvmycMJptBI. Here, have a kazoo thing too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC65ufGUvKM.

Content:

I don't understand that guitar on the left. :iiam:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
thanks, now i need an otamatone

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Looks like a toilet seat.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

survivalstrategy posted:

I got one of these as a Christmas present (the smaller one, not the huge one) and I'd place it in the same category as a kazoo, except that an otamatone has a face and sounds like my cat when I give him a bath. Since most of the thread is about aesthetics then I'd say otamatones are pure awesome just because it's a music note with a cute face on it. I have it on my desk and it never fails to draw confusion / compliments and impromptu hilarious attempts to play it. Though, I wouldn't give it to a child because the neck where you play the notes (there's no buttons or holes but rather a sensor strip thing) looks and feels fragile and a child will likely snap it into two.

Here's a not terrible otamatone player: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvmycMJptBI. Here, have a kazoo thing too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC65ufGUvKM.

Content:

I don't understand that guitar on the left. :iiam:

They're all tuned to DADGAD so you can just throw it down on the floor and play pretty music.

Maybe one of them is tuned to BDDDDD so they can play Iris by Goo Goo Dolls

Jivesauce
Nov 22, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

You can't just post something like this without showing it off:

It looks like he's playing live at the Nickelodeon Kid's Choice Awards.

It's a little harder to see in that picture, but it has a weird headstock on it for a Tele too. It's pretty ugly but it looks like it would sit in a hangar better than a normal Tele, I don't know if that's the reason for it though.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Thumposaurus posted:

I feel like it's going more for an alternative, couples sex toy thing.

Now THIS looks like a toilet seat.

And you know what, it sounds :krad: so gently caress the haters.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

The Ernie Ball Bongo Bass was actually designed by BMW.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

strangemusic posted:

I feel like it's going more for an alternative, couples sex toy thing.

Now THIS looks like a toilet seat.

And you know what, it sounds :krad: so gently caress the haters.

There really is one Guitar/Bass that I will not gently caress/argue with and thats a Music Man because they are incredible pieces of equipment

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Astrobastard posted:

There really is one Guitar/Bass that I will not gently caress/argue with and thats a Music Man because they are incredible pieces of equipment

Also, super loving slinkies

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

I've never played a Bongo. The Stingrays are pretty awesome even though they're heavy and they always sound like Stingrays. G&Ls are dope, too.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

lol if you can't good tone from a tube amp

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

Thumposaurus posted:

i bet you could legit buy a wooden toilet seat and turn it into a pretty badass guitar

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

sort of an aside, i've been using ernie ball cobalt and...i don't know if this is the right phrase for it, but they're really soft?

i found myself forgetting where the A string is for a good couple of minutes before gathering my bearings.

they're super comfy but they sound really, really weird.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Captain Tolerable posted:

sort of an aside, i've been using ernie ball cobalt and...i don't know if this is the right phrase for it, but they're really soft?

i found myself forgetting where the A string is for a good couple of minutes before gathering my bearings.

they're super comfy but they sound really, really weird.

Are those the ones that sound really "blurgggh" (for lack of a better description)? I did a nut replacement on a cheap-rear end guitar (Encore I think, strat copy anyway) and when I put the new nut on it just sounded weird as gently caress, the owner told me it was strung up with "Ernie Balls... Not the slinky ones, the other ones, guy in the shop said they were the best". Wonder if they were the same ones? Never seen them since.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

White Dog Eggs posted:

Are those the ones that sound really "blurgggh" (for lack of a better description)? I did a nut replacement on a cheap-rear end guitar (Encore I think, strat copy anyway) and when I put the new nut on it just sounded weird as gently caress, the owner told me it was strung up with "Ernie Balls... Not the slinky ones, the other ones, guy in the shop said they were the best". Wonder if they were the same ones? Never seen them since.

Probably, they sound really awful but I wanted to try something new.

They were the more expensive string so I wouldn't be shocked if the guy in the shop said they were the best for that very reason.

Despite being so comfy, they are too werid for me.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
I'm pretty famous in ML for hating EB Cobalts. They're harsh sounding and they feel like rusty barbed wire straight out of the pack. I guess they're hotter and normal strings but who cares?

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Declan MacManus posted:

lol if you can't good tone from a tube amp

Solid state iirc, the joke is that Crate sells better if they hide the brand name

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

I'm trying to find information on this arch top Schaller

The label reads "Schaller - Kaiserslautern am Fackelrondell" "Seit 1924". It has a Roger floating pickup installed. I can't find anything on this aside from what I got from the fellow I got it from craigslist, which is zilch. I believe it might be a Framus. That's all I have. Anyone who can identify this?

I'd appreciate it. There's more pictures like 3 pages back.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Mineaiki posted:

I've never played a Bongo. The Stingrays are pretty awesome even though they're heavy and they always sound like Stingrays. G&Ls are dope, too.

The Bongo is a weird beast. All the active electronics are a far cry from the usual "turn it up and slam" of a P-Bass... it's monstrously good for recording, though, because you can make all the little adjustments you want right in the room. The usefulness of the piezo PU is the only thing that goes over my head.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

strangemusic posted:

The Bongo is a weird beast. All the active electronics are a far cry from the usual "turn it up and slam" of a P-Bass... it's monstrously good for recording, though, because you can make all the little adjustments you want right in the room. The usefulness of the piezo PU is the only thing that goes over my head.

why would you want to adjust it

plug in p bass

turn up p bass

thump/grind

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

strangemusic posted:

Yeah, also active isn't really my thing. I am really into passive Fender basses. Love my Jazz, wish I had a P. I like basses that have switches for active/passive, though.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Captain Tolerable posted:

Probably, they sound really awful but I wanted to try something new.

They were the more expensive string so I wouldn't be shocked if the guy in the shop said they were the best for that very reason.

Despite being so comfy, they are too werid for me.

More money = MORE TONE!

I'm totally convinced that the reason Gibson are still around is because everyone assumes more money = more good. New PRS are buggers like that too.

Harry in Rio posted:

I'm trying to find information on this arch top Schaller

The label reads "Schaller - Kaiserslautern am Fackelrondell" "Seit 1924". It has a Roger floating pickup installed. I can't find anything on this aside from what I got from the fellow I got it from craigslist, which is zilch. I believe it might be a Framus. That's all I have. Anyone who can identify this?

I'd appreciate it. There's more pictures like 3 pages back.

Archtops aren't really my thing sadly so I can't help much, but I do know that Kaiserslautern is a city in Germany and Fackelrondell is a district of the city, so it translates to "Kaiserslautern in Fackelrondell - Since 1924". So it was either purchased or made there. A quick search seems to suggest a framus connection, but it's pretty vague. Are their any stickers behind the sound holes that you can get a picture of? May be worth removing the scratchplate to have a look.

Fake Edit: There was/is a brand of archtops called "Roger" that were made in Germany, if I remember they may have started off the whole "German Carve" thing you see on Mosrite Guitars. I can't see a German carve on yours and it's got a plain tailpiece so perhaps someone just re-used a pickup, but it's a lead at least.

Actual Edit: More info on Roger guitars here: http://jazzgitarren.k-server.org/roger.html

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Feb 12, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

White Dog Eggs posted:

I'm totally convinced that the reason Gibson are still around is because everyone assumes more money = more good. New PRS are buggers like that too.

fender's in the same racket at the higher end of the market too but they actually produce a consistent product otherwise

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

HollisBrown posted:

I'm pretty famous in ML for hating EB Cobalts. They're harsh sounding and they feel like rusty barbed wire straight out of the pack. I guess they're hotter and normal strings but who cares?

Once I get another guitar solely for playing C and D standard metal riffs I know what strings I'm putting on it now.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

whatis posted:

i bet you could legit buy a wooden toilet seat and turn it into a pretty badass guitar
Google says yes.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...060.k52QmZI6zKE

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

comes along bort posted:

fender's in the same racket at the higher end of the market too but they actually produce a consistent product otherwise

I've not been impressed with their 'American Standard' stuff, it's good but not £800 good. Their artist models are pretty over-priced too. Good instruments, just over-priced.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

I was thinking that this thread could use some Scott Grove. He's pretty spergy.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Harry in Rio posted:

I was thinking that this thread could use some Scott Grove. He's pretty spergy.

an rear end in a top hat who happens to be right about a lot of stuff

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

White Dog Eggs posted:

I've not been impressed with their 'American Standard' stuff, it's good but not £800 good. Their artist models are pretty over-priced too. Good instruments, just over-priced.

American Standards are good used instruments. At least the basses are. I got my Jazz for $450.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Yo, lets post some ugly amps. As a starter and sacrificial lamb I offer up one of my amps. It's a jcm800 that my friend gave me because he bought a fender twin and doesn't play high gain stuff any more and thought I would like it. I fuckin love it. He did take off the tolex and now it looks all homeless and poo poo. Its running through a lovely marshall combo's speakers so I need to get a cab for it, and an attenuator because if I even breath on the volume knob it's at 100dB

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

Yo, lets post some ugly amps. As a starter and sacrificial lamb I offer up one of my amps. It's a jcm800 that my friend gave me because he bought a fender twin and doesn't play high gain stuff any more and thought I would like it. I fuckin love it. He did take off the tolex and now it looks all homeless and poo poo. Its running through a lovely marshall combo's speakers so I need to get a cab for it, and an attenuator because if I even breath on the volume knob it's at 100dB

I actually think amps without tolex are cool as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord

I spent my teenage years playing through one of these. I liked it and all, but I've always thought it was ugly as hell. Eventually sold it to some dude in a Christian hardcore band.

• Locked thread