Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
You have failed this chili!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Oh my god, what the poo poo have I started?

And by that I mean I decided to make a new batch of chilli to one up this receipe. Currently marinating venison cubes in a nice ale overnight, then I will brown them in a pan tommorow, toss em in a slow cooker with veg, tomato sauce, fine diced chillis (fresh and dried), and a bit of the beer. Follow up with ground tortilla chips for thickening and seasoning. Yum.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm thinking that when I get paid (and run out of my current chili leftovers) I need to do a Let's Cook! of this recipe. I just don't know if I should do it in BSS or GWS. But ground tortilla chips as thickening and seasoning? :crossarms:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Warmachine posted:

I'm thinking that when I get paid (and run out of my current chili leftovers) I need to do a Let's Cook! of this recipe. I just don't know if I should do it in BSS or GWS. But ground tortilla chips as thickening and seasoning? :crossarms:

Learned it on an episode of good eats. It actually works out really well, and is a good way to get it thicker without beans.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, is Hemlock Grove worth drunk watching?

Also, Ollie's chili reciepe sucks. He got it from his Mom it says, so maybe that's just another way Moira is a villian? making subpar chili?

The best thing to watch drunk is Natural Born Killers.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Warmachine posted:

Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed. Though I am glad they at least use cubed beef and not just a fuckload of ground.

But one teaspoon of Cayenne and you call it 'hot?' For shame. Put a tablespoon in there you pansy.

edit: beaten, but the point needs to be made, that poo poo isn't spicy. That's bunny hill chili.

You guys kind of need to read the rest of the recipe. There are three different kinds of chilli powder after the cayenne and each call for a tablespoon.

Now for reference a teaspoon of chilli powder is usually enough to make a chilli con carne for 6 people hot. It might not seem like a lot but three tablespoons of chilli powder is loving insane.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Also Tabasco "to taste" which we can assume means Ollie puts too god drat much Tabasco. They didn't teach cooking on the island, ok?

fballnlife91
Nov 22, 2010
According to the Tv Guide Magazine page on facebook, the guy who played The Flash in the 90's tv show is going to be on the new Flash as a recurring guest star.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

fballnlife91 posted:

According to the Tv Guide Magazine page on facebook, the guy who played The Flash in the 90's tv show is going to be on the new Flash as a recurring guest star.

At this point Mark Hamil is all but guaranteed.

This show will be so magical!

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

fballnlife91 posted:

Please be Max Mercury, or Jay Garrick.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Maximum comic book logic suggests he would play Barry's dad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

jscolon2.0 posted:

Please be Max Mercury, or Jay Garrick.

I'll weep openly if it's Max.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Man, if they get Michael Rosenbaum to play Wally West at any point it'll be amazing.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Phylodox posted:

Man, if they get Michael Rosenbaum to play Wally West at any point it'll be amazing.

I have no idea who that is.

edit: The below reference is also that Michael Rosenbaum was both Lex on Smallville, and Flash's VA on JL/JLU.

jscolon2.0 fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 12, 2014

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS

Phylodox posted:

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I'm assuming it is a reference to this:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

MrFlibble posted:

You guys kind of need to read the rest of the recipe. There are three different kinds of chilli powder after the cayenne and each call for a tablespoon.

Now for reference a teaspoon of chilli powder is usually enough to make a chilli con carne for 6 people hot. It might not seem like a lot but three tablespoons of chilli powder is loving insane.

why the hell is he using chilli powder and not buying whole chillies?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

If you're interested in getting into more DC Universe stories because you enjoy Arrow, I'd highly recommend Justice League and the other series in that universe (Batman: the animated series, Superman, Batman beyond etc.) - Arrow has largely tended to be influenced by the same stories that the animated material uses as their touchstone.

On a more Arrow-ey note, what does everyone think this season is building to? The smart money seems to be on Slade as the big bad guy for this year, and then using the League much more heavily in season three.

But the show has ran around and avoided standard plotting in the past, so who the hell knows?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I'd say the season will culminate in Ollie facing off against Brother Blood with maybe the reveal of Slade as the mastermind behind Blood. Then again, it's easy to underestimate how fast this show moves.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Klungar posted:

I'm assuming it is a reference to this:

It's not because he played Luthor, it's because he voiced Wally.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Whizbang posted:

It's not because he played Luthor, it's because he voiced Wally.

No, I'm just dumb, I thought he quoted jscolon's "I have no idea who that is" and it blew his mind that someone didn't know who Michael Rosenbaum was.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I started watching this show and marathoned it because I heard it had Crixus in it and also I was drunk and really, it should have just been the island parts fleshed out into a series.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

Phylodox posted:

I'd say the season will culminate in Ollie facing off against Brother Blood with maybe the reveal of Slade as the mastermind behind Blood. Then again, it's easy to underestimate how fast this show moves.
With the island arc looking like it's building up to Sara and Ollie taking down Mirakuru-Slade, and the present day arc already revealing Mastermind-Slade, I think we're definitely going to get at least one full fight between Ollie and Slade in the present day. Given the general pace of the show, I also think Slade's vengeance plot is going to conclude this season either with his death (or "death", although it might be a bit much for both Malcolm and Slade to be dead-but-not-really) or with Slade being defeated but not killed and giving up on at the very least this current revenge path.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I can't really put money on anything because we don't know what Merlyn is planning yet. The League is mostly out of play now that Nyssa's story is wrapped up and Sarah is freed from her oath. That leaves Slade and Sebastian, Merlyn, and Isobel and Amanda Waller tie for runner up as traditionally antagonistic but neither having much interest in personally boning Oliver over ('cept Isobel, of course. :ussr:).

And Slade is probably destined for Waller's Suicide Squad. I'll be very surprised if she doesn't try to recruit him after Oliver wrecks his poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Who says Nyssa's story is wrapped up? Just because she says Sarah is freed from her oath doesn't mean Ras will agree!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Phylodox posted:

Am I insane or the teaser for the next chapter seems to imply than Slade shows at the Queen Mansion?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Am I insane or the teaser for the next chapter seems to imply than Slade shows at the Queen Mansion?

I don't know, I watch the show online so I don't get previews. At the speed this show goes, though, I wouldn't be all that surprised if this season ended with Ollie shooting Darkseid in the face and ripping open a portal to the Marvel universe.

I mean, I'd be a little surprised...but not that much.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Amell talks a bit about the rest of the season.
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/legendsareborn/news/?a=94369

Here's a non-spoilery quote from that interview:

quote:

I want Ra’s al Ghul on the show. Let me clarify something about the pronunciation of Ra’s al Ghul. Because Nyssa in the most recent episode says Raysh, but its been established prior by people in Starling city saying its Razz. So I needed to follow suit despite mild protestations made by me. It would be fantastic to see that character on the show. We certainly name dropped him… a lot

He wanted to pronounce it right but continuity :argh:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Phylodox posted:

I don't know, I watch the show online so I don't get previews. At the speed this show goes, though, I wouldn't be all that surprised if this season ended with Ollie shooting Darkseid in the face and ripping open a portal to the Marvel universe.

More like Ollie would be sent through time by Darkseid. Darkseid is then beat by Diggle singing.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Phylodox posted:

Just imagine this as the rest-of-season preview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCEoJ8GX1oM

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Crosspost from the Black Sails thread, found some more abs that belong on Arrow:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

zoux posted:

Amell talks a bit about the rest of the season.
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/legendsareborn/news/?a=94369

Here's a non-spoilery quote from that interview:

He wanted to pronounce it right but continuity :argh:

It is pronounced Razz. Or at least that is closer to the correct Arabic pronunciation. BTAS was wrong.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The pronunciation of Ra's al Ghul's name is one of those arguments that'll never die. That said, gently caress continuity, have everyone say it a little different, and even nod to the argument by having the characters argue among themselves!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

GigaPeon posted:

Or making chili! He can get a part time job at Big Belly Burger!

I've made this, it's inedible.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It is pronounced Razz. Or at least that is closer to the correct Arabic pronunciation. BTAS was wrong.

Well, any argument is trumped by "It's his name, however he chooses to pronounce it is right".

Chef Bromden
Jun 4, 2009

Hollismason posted:

I've made this, it's inedible.

Laurel is on the Starling City diet:
Eat Moira's chili 24/7 and watch the pounds melt away. Then your chin will be so sharp your face will start looking like a tortilla chip.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Dammit, this is the whole Fookoh, Fookalt pronunciation bullshit for Foucalt (it's the former) again.

It's pronounced Raysh by Americans who think they are well read/traveled, but aren't, or or people who know how to speak Hebrew. It's Ray-us (Rah-us?) by people who know how to speak Arabic, or like to pronounce foreign words phonetically.

You could say whatever you want when you read it on paper, or out loud so long as people can contextually understand you.

Denny O'Neil most likely wanted the Arabic pronunciation, because he modeled Ra's off of Arabic dudes, but messed up the sound of it, way back when because he's an American. No biggie. Or the TAS messed up for the same reason, I don't know. Whatever. The creator gets to decide how to pronounce it, ultimately, even if it's otherwise incorrect.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 12, 2014

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

I like Raysh because it sounds cooler :downs:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aphrodite posted:

I think it's the first one that completely restarted everything from issue 1 though.

not everything. Green Lantern didn't. Nor batman, red hood, nightwing etc...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eddain
May 6, 2007
He should just show up in the season finale at the very last moment and introduce himself.

"You stand in the presence of Ray al'Ghul."

And everyone just looks at him all weird.

• Locked thread