Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Just the plastic manifold cars. The wider 08+ sti top mounts will require some new bracketry and maybe massaging of the a/c lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

blk posted:

Sorry, just to close the loop on tire chat - what do you guys like for summers that can still handle rain well? My last pair were Ventus V12s, which were fine, I'm just wondering if there's something else I should look at.
I'm curious about this as well. I'm over running all seasons year round when the car only sees snow a few weekends a year.

si
Apr 26, 2004
I've tried quite a few summers, here's my breakdown:

Very first I ever used were Potenza S-03s, great summer - not a track day tire, but a really nice driveable summer. Quiet, sticky, good feel, predictable breakaway. Tram-lines like a mofo - and doesn't exist anymore. Lasted 3 summers + 2 or 3 AutoX events.

From there I went to Goodyear F1 Asymmetric (not the A/S) - LOUD summer, very sticky, AutoX'd the hell out of them and they held up very well. They had a very unpredictable breakaway though, so I'd rarely know it before I started to spin. Lasted 2 summers and 1.5 AutoX seasons (12 events?)

Next tried the Michelin Pilot Super Sports after everyone raved about them. They're loud, harsh, and grippy to the point of nearly being a track tire. They hydroplaned like a mofo in even moderate rain. They were exceptional in AutoX, but unpleasant to DD. They wore out in 2 summers with only I think 3 AutoX events - and not very hard driving. I didn't care for these at all, really. Really expensive, and too close to an R compound.

Bridgestone brought out the S-04 last year or the year before (forget which) as a successor to the S-03. I'm back on these, and I really, really like them for DD that's capable of pushing it more than you ever should on roads. They're very much like the S-03s I remember, though I will say they do still tramline like mofos.

I run the RE960 A/S PPs on my 2.5RS as 'summers' also, even though they're an AS. Would recommend them to anyone who wants a decent summer tire but might get faced with less-than-tarmac situations. I've actually RallyX'd on them and driven through some decent snow, and they're not great, but completely usable in both.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I've been using Sumitomo HTR ZIII for a while now and I've found them to be nice and grippy, good in the rain, fairly quiet, and very well priced.

The only downside I've noticed is that they wear quickly, although the Baja is a heavy thing, and I've autocrossed it, so that might have something to do with it.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
My current summer tires are the BFG Rivals and I've driven around on Hankook RS3s and Star Specs. I just can't go back to anything else. They are like rubberized crack.

:catdrugs:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

A good inexpensive choise are the Continental DW tires. Got mine for under $100/tire and they work great.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

Not sure if anyone is from CT here but I failed my emissions with a stock up pipe and catted downpipe on my 2003 WRX. I'm not sure how catless people pass but this guy failed my visual inspection.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Grab the heat shield from the old up pipe and throw it on. Never had to do emissions testing, do they have a checklist for every different model or is it up to the mechanic who's inspecting discretion?

Could always gut your old one, find a way to make the current one look like it belongs, or get an oem sti or newer wrx up pipe

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss

Bajaha posted:

Grab the heat shield from the old up pipe and throw it on. Never had to do emissions testing, do they have a checklist for every different model or is it up to the mechanic who's inspecting discretion?

Could always gut your old one, find a way to make the current one look like it belongs, or get an oem sti or newer wrx up pipe

It was the downpipe that failed me. I've called the state and they clarified that if the car has a catalytic converter then it passes. I'm so lost.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Oops, re reading I don't know how I missed that. Where's the cat on the dp? Maybe the tech was lazy and didn't see it if it's right after the turbo and not directly underneath the car. Get a shop to weld on a resonator or surround to make it look like you've got a secondary cat? Can you bring it to a different place for inspection?

si
Apr 26, 2004

Yakattak posted:

It was the downpipe that failed me. I've called the state and they clarified that if the car has a catalytic converter then it passes. I'm so lost.

If it is like here, you must have the same number of catalytic converters to pass. I've never had them actually count though, I'm surprised they'd know. I'm guessing take it back to the shop and point out the cat to them?

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss

I called the state and they said I need to have "one". I pointed out the cat on the downpipe and then he went and got the diagram and said I didn't have enough.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Yakattak posted:

I called the state and they said I need to have "one". I pointed out the cat on the downpipe and then he went and got the diagram and said I didn't have enough.

You might just have to go somewhere else if this guy hates your car. Check the local threads of some car enthusiast boards; there are always recommendations for inspectors who will pass modified cars.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
It appears I need a recommendation for a Subaru shop in the Los Angeles area.

I believe the transmission input shaft bearing is going on my 2000 OB 5MT, and I live in an apartment with no facilities to fix it myself.

My car makes a groan/scraping noise when releasing the clutch pedal to begin to travel. Does not make the noise with the clutch pedal depressed, or in neutral. Coasting in-gear with clutch depressed makes a lighter scraping noise, but I can tell the transmission is spinning.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Foresterchat:

Is there any difference between the pre and post facelift second gens?

Any difference between the XT Limited and XT sports? Was the limited 4AT only, or is it just a question of leather or body kit or something?

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Would a 05 Saab 9-2x with a blown engine be worth $3000 if the rest of the car was in good shape? Body, Interior, etc.
I was thinking about looking into this as a project car.
http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/cto/4324837499.html

I hadn't begun looking into pricing for a used engine yet.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Rontalvos posted:

It appears I need a recommendation for a Subaru shop in the Los Angeles area.

I believe the transmission input shaft bearing is going on my 2000 OB 5MT, and I live in an apartment with no facilities to fix it myself.

My car makes a groan/scraping noise when releasing the clutch pedal to begin to travel. Does not make the noise with the clutch pedal depressed, or in neutral. Coasting in-gear with clutch depressed makes a lighter scraping noise, but I can tell the transmission is spinning.

I don't have a recommendation, but could you let us know what they find? I'm curious on this one

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Franco Caution posted:

Would a 05 Saab 9-2x with a blown engine be worth $3000 if the rest of the car was in good shape? Body, Interior, etc.
I was thinking about looking into this as a project car.
http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/cto/4324837499.html

I hadn't begun looking into pricing for a used engine yet.

Used engines should be in the 2k range from a salvage yard. If you can, bring it to a shop that has an inspection camera (or pick one up yourself at harbor freight) and see just how bad the damage actually is.

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
Think this might be worth a $225 flight and a 500 mile trip back?

http://loz.craigslist.org/cto/4309133321.html

He also has it on autotrader with some lovely pictures:

http://tinyurl.com/lhg2myt

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

2 brand-new tires? :what:

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss

I purchased a thing today for my 2003 WRX.

I was originally going to move the ebrake mechanism to the left but I splurged and decided to get the JDM RHD setup to replace the USDM one I have. Luckily Subaru makes the piece with the cup holders and such separate. I bought this off of JapanParts.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Looks great, does that fit first gen Foresters? I'd love to have usable cup holders that don't soak the HVAC controls.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I really want one of those, I want proper cup holders and not the lovely slide out thing in front of the vents. I'd buy one but then I'd have to remove low range (seriously though has anyone ever used low range on an impreza for anything??) and that sounds like too much effort.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss

Not sure what it fits.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Terrible Robot posted:

Looks great, does that fit first gen Foresters? I'd love to have usable cup holders that don't soak the HVAC controls.

Yeah I'd love to know this as well, if it fits first gen Foresters it should fit a first gen Outback as well yes? My cupholders are currently stuck open because if I close them I'll never be able to get it open again.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss

Update to the center console stuff. I found out that the piece I ordered will not fit in my center console box...

I'm debating either retrofitting it, buying the JDM one or moving the ebrake over.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss

Got very excited when the brown truck came around today. Ordered some exhaust parts to fix my lovely exhaust from Jamal!

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Yakattak posted:

Got very excited when the brown truck came around today. Ordered some exhaust parts to fix my lovely exhaust from Jamal!

I do like those Grimmspeed gaskets.

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
I was back on the dyno Friday.

http://i.imgur.com/rSnVlEC.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Wbr97qxmkw

~440whp & ~403 wtq (the video isn't of the same pull as the sheet).

Car is running great right now with my DCCD issues resolved.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

I just picked up a (used 2006 wrx OEM) uppipe as well, and was wondering if I need to keep on the heat shield or not? All the aftermarket ones like here seem to come sans heat shield. I don't want a fire or melted stuff under the hood.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I just picked up a (used 2006 wrx OEM) uppipe as well, and was wondering if I need to keep on the heat shield or not? All the aftermarket ones like here seem to come sans heat shield. I don't want a fire or melted stuff under the hood.

It's not a bad idea to keep it on. You can take the shield off and get it ceramic coated if you're feeling ballsy.

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

I picked up a new 2014 Outback about a week an a half ago and I have a few questions about the bluetooth, mostly because there isn't much in the way of documentation other than how to pair it with your phone and the commands for using the phone.

I paired it with my phone just fine (Samsung Galaxy S4 on t-mobile), but it doesn't seem to pick up any contacts from my phone, and I'm not sure if it is supposed to or not. Also, for the phone numbers I have manually stored in the phone book, there doesn't seem to be a way to input a name to display in text on the display screen, it only has the audio of the name i recorded when I entered it into the phone book. Is this how it is supposed to work?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Alpine Mustache posted:

I picked up a new 2014 Outback about a week an a half ago and I have a few questions about the bluetooth, mostly because there isn't much in the way of documentation other than how to pair it with your phone and the commands for using the phone.

I paired it with my phone just fine (Samsung Galaxy S4 on t-mobile), but it doesn't seem to pick up any contacts from my phone, and I'm not sure if it is supposed to or not. Also, for the phone numbers I have manually stored in the phone book, there doesn't seem to be a way to input a name to display in text on the display screen, it only has the audio of the name i recorded when I entered it into the phone book. Is this how it is supposed to work?

My wife has a 2014 Outback, from my memory (since I'm about to hit the sack) unless you bought the most upgraded Outback version and therefore headunit, you have to manually enter any phone contacts you wish to dial via the cars BT setup. I have no recollection on inputting the names to show on the screen, I'll ask MY WIFE in the morning and try to remember to reply here. Maybe I can find the instruction manual around here and reference that too. Sorry I'm not more help.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Alpine Mustache posted:

Yes. Its a very basic system and generally sucks. You have to use the built in menus and store your contacts in there manually. Its clumsy to use, but ultimately works. I wish it was even more simple and just worked like any basic Bluetooth headset, because phones already have built in software that works pretty well. But then at least it isn't some overinstrusive system that takes over the whole car and tries to be everything.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss

Aftermarket or OEM, in car phone systems are usually pretty clunky.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I know you are supposed to have 4 equally sized rims and tires on and cars, but does it matter if 2 tires are newer than the other 2 if they are the same size?

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I know you are supposed to have 4 equally sized rims and tires on and cars, but does it matter if 2 tires are newer than the other 2 if they are the same size?

Yes. With your center differential/transfer case it is imperative to have very similar tread wear, if not the same. Your tires started out at the same size but due to wear they no longer are.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

IIRC the viscous coupling will only tolerate a millimeter or two of difference between front and rear tire diameter. Even if they were the exact same make and size tire any wear is going to add up to more than that and then you're VC eats itself. Ask me how I know (thanks PO :argh:)

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Well mine are different by a decent amount. Should I go buy 4 new tires and try to sell the 4 I have? How fragile is the diff? I've done like 3000kms on them since buying the car and they were apparently fairly new when I got the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss

Well mine are different by a decent amount. Should I go buy 4 new tires and try to sell the 4 I have? How fragile is the diff? I've done like 3000kms on them since buying the car and they were apparently fairly new when I got the car.

Pretty fragile. The carrier bearing on my driveshaft was just a little out of whack and it destroyed my transfer case bearings. Which almost destroyed my transmission.