Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

strangehamster posted:

This is the schedule from the last TFcon -> http://www.tfcon.ca/tfcon-2013-event-schedule
Toy nerds hang out, people will bring the latest releases and some internet famous will bring prototypes and early figures. The customizing class was fun, we popped apart an FE BB and modified it to look like Decepticharge. There are things you can walk in and out of like movies or cartoons being shown. There are things you can plan all year for, like custom toy and costume contests. Haggle and buy toys in the dealer room. Sell and trade toys in the hotel rooms. Meet and greet artists and voice actors, get autographs, etc. At night hit the hotel bar and drink past your tolerances and let everyone know what you really think about your least favorite comic/toy/movie thing. Dress up as Weird Al and sing karaoke. Spend every last dollar you've got, or eat only one meal at Burger King.
Okay cool, thanks.

I'm still not positive about going or not. I am terrible at going to places and being a person, but it's something to consider for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Captain Magic posted:

Okay cool, thanks.

I'm still not positive about going or not. I am terrible at going to places and being a person, but it's something to consider for sure.

I will be your friend, you can sit by me.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
I'd like to go, but at the moment, can't commit due to funds. It's been a bad last couple months, so I'm about to put up a crapton of stuff for sale. Hopefully things might look better closer to October.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

therealjon_ posted:

How on earth do you afford a one month vacation to Disney?

I don't even know how you get an entire month off of work without getting injured, pregnant or being the CEO so you can do whatever the gently caress you want.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Gammatron 64 posted:

I don't even know how you get an entire month off of work without getting injured, pregnant or being the CEO so you can do whatever the gently caress you want.

If I had been hired right away, instead of being diddled around and classified at part-time temporary, I would have 32 total vacation days and holidays per year. Before the change this year one could carry over 80 hours of unused vacation from the previous year.

strangehamster fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 11, 2014

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
I can imagine having enough day accrued but I can't imagine taking my hands off the wheel for more than a couple weeks. I wish I could trust my co-workers enough for that but NOPE.

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > Transformers: Work and Vacation Chat

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

SpikeMcclane posted:

I'd like to go, but at the moment, can't commit due to funds. It's been a bad last couple months, so I'm about to put up a crapton of stuff for sale. Hopefully things might look better closer to October.

Send me some good toy pictures, they were so small last time I could barely tell what was for sale. I'm estimating about $50 per person per day if I can put three people in a hotel room, how much does a goon eat per day? Would you fly or drive up? I'm trying to work out a budget for myself too.

strangehamster fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 11, 2014

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Typically if you're a teacher you get all your time off at once (since weekends are typically prep), like either as a summer thing or in higher-ed you can take a sabbatical once every 600 years to work on your own research (to prove to the University you're still employable) so like... It happens that there are people who have time off of work for a month at a time.

The actual funding that vacation part... I don't even know.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Rei_ posted:

Typically if you're a teacher you get all your time off at once (since weekends are typically prep), like either as a summer thing or in higher-ed you can take a sabbatical once every 600 years to work on your own research (to prove to the University you're still employable) so like... It happens that there are people who have time off of work for a month at a time.

The actual funding that vacation part... I don't even know.

Or two, if you teach at college levels in the Netherlands. I get roughly 12 weeks off each year, but yeah. Teacher have no free weekends. Unless you prep your lessons during the week itself.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm gonna be in Toronto in July!

Doing wedding preparations and stuff with my fiancee and her family and friends. I might convince her to go (or let me go) one of these years since she likes more general cons, but for sure not this year. I wouldn't even ask.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Captain Magic posted:

It's not a bad experience. Meeting people is nice, but the feeling of being somewhere your hobby is completely accepted and actually feels really normal is a unique one. I've been to cons and stuff for Magic or other hobbies, and TFCon doesn't feel like that, it's not very "nerd con" in sentiment. You'll see a broad mix of people, most of whom seem to be enjoying themselves without weirding you out. Though I did hear hamster saw someone propose, ehhhhh.

I am rather bitter I can't go to the chicago one this year. Of course the one wedding I'm going to this year has to be on that exact loving weekend.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Spiderdrake posted:

It's not a bad experience. Meeting people is nice, but the feeling of being somewhere your hobby is completely accepted and actually feels really normal is a unique one. I've been to cons and stuff for Magic or other hobbies, and TFCon doesn't feel like that, it's not very "nerd con" in sentiment. You'll see a broad mix of people, most of whom seem to be enjoying themselves without weirding you out. Though I did hear hamster saw someone propose, ehhhhh.

I am rather bitter I can't go to the chicago one this year. Of course the one wedding I'm going to this year has to be on that exact loving weekend.

It was a little bit awkward and the man didn't take his hat off on stage :(

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I will be at both TFCons this year and will be nerd-friends with any of you loner-goons! I like to transform robots, drink heavily and swear loudly in public. Also tabletop games. If any of these things interest you, lets hang out! I'm flying from the Raleigh-Durham area (don't have tickets yet, hunting for deals).

Also, I finally found some new 'bots at my local Target establishment. I always choose a particular cashier because she asks me if I want a gift receipt and I always smirk and say, "no, thank you" as I get out my card to pay for my transforming robot toys and 6-pack of two-hearted ale. It never fails.

I picked up Skywarp, Scoop and the Minicon combiners. I saw Armada Starscream and the blue Predaking but passed. The detail on blue Predaking's missile launchers looked pretty good, I may go back and pick him up (they had at least 4 of him so I think there's a good chance he'll hang around a bit).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Spiderdrake posted:

I can't go to C2E2 because my girlfriend is the made of honor in a wedding. I've been actively trying to break up that engagement for months.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Skybytes robot mode on the comic cover looks somewhat similar to Shark Megatron from Prime.

I hope it's a new mold though, we could get him repainted as one of the Seacons or Pretenders with a shark alt mode.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

TheDK posted:

Also, I finally found some new 'bots at my local Target establishment.

Skids? :ohdear:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

From what I understand Canada has a shitload of Skids. You're probably better off finding it there.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ehhhh. You guys are over-estimating how much Disney World costs. Would it be *cheap*? No, but you can find timeshares or long-term stay hotels available for probably less than renting an apartment in a city, and then just seasonal or annual passes for everyone for park entry. Food can be done cheaply if you limit what you eat inside the parks. Orlando is not really an expensive city if you get away from the major tourist areas.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Also I'm going to say if I was a betting man that Voyager Roadbuster is probably going to be retooled to Voyager Hound and a bunch of other Autobot and Decepticon guys until it rivals Jazz as the most used Classics mold. And will probably be like whirl where's he's just a modernized G1 version of the toy.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Endless Mike posted:

Ehhhh. You guys are over-estimating how much Disney World costs. Would it be *cheap*? No, but you can find timeshares or long-term stay hotels available for probably less than renting an apartment in a city, and then just seasonal or annual passes for everyone for park entry. Food can be done cheaply if you limit what you eat inside the parks. Orlando is not really an expensive city if you get away from the major tourist areas.

Yeah but then you're in Orlando for a month.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?

Endless Mike posted:

$10 for food per person per day and 250 per week for a time share plus park tickets is still about $6500, plus there's the travel cost. That's more than my yearly mortgage cost with insurance and taxes included.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

SpikeMcclane posted:

$10 for food per person per day and 250 per week for a time share plus park tickets is still about $6500, plus there's the travel cost. That's more than my yearly mortgage cost with insurance and taxes included.

How much was the loan if you pay less than $6,500 a year for a mortgage with taxes/ins?

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Had to make a tough call between Feral Rex and Warbotron today, so I've got a displayed but not transformed Bovis w/box and everything I'm looking to sell, asking $105 shipped to US addresses.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?

therealjon_ posted:

How much was the loan if you pay less than $6,500 a year for a mortgage with taxes/ins?

Loan was around 70k. I sometimes forget how good that is nowadays. Combination of managing to get in on a short sale and being in an area that has one of the nation's lowest costs of living.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Negative. Haven't seen that wave in my area at all and I'm kind of upset about it.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

TheDK posted:

Negative. Haven't seen that wave in my area at all and I'm kind of upset about it.

I just found the wave with Armadascream and Scoop. I fear Skids and Waspinator has passed by my area completely. :(

Why cookie Rocket posted:

People that live in the glass house of the TF thread should not throw rocks about disposable income.

Ha! Joke's on you! I haven't bought a new Transformer in months!

:saddowns:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I just found the wave with Armadascream and Scoop. I fear Skids and Waspinator has passed by my area completely. :(

Canada just got the Skids wave, check Ebay because they're soon going to be flooding the place.

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin
Has anyone ordered from transformerland.com before? Good or bad?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

MB13 posted:

Has anyone ordered from transformerland.com before? Good or bad?

I've used them before, I've had no issues.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Keldroc posted:

Yeah but then you're in Orlando for a month.
Yes, this is the huge negative to going to Disney World for any period of time.

SpikeMcclane posted:

Like I said, it wouldn't be cheap, but it's not the insane expenditure people are making it out to be. And that is not even half a year of rent for me. :(

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
So after weeks of not being sure about Dark Cybertron, I'm thinking it's getting a little better. Plus unless I'm wrong it looks like I was right (kind of) in my hope that Megatron would recover at least a little of his old self.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I thought it was pretty funny that he made BB wait to make his entrance more dramatic. Oh, Megatron...

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Some tumblrite summed up my favorite dark cybertron moment

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rita Repulsa posted:

Some tumblrite summed up my favorite dark cybertron moment

Yeah, it's stuff like that that is what I've been liking Dark Cybertron for. Optimus Prime is not your dad.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
The Kapow listing for the iGear seekers mentions each one having an extra head. They're neat, but they're pretty expensive. I get that it's the set of 3 and it works out to ~£80 per guy, but it's a big lump to do in one go.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

EthanSteele posted:

The Kapow listing for the iGear seekers mentions each one having an extra head. They're neat, but they're pretty expensive. I get that it's the set of 3 and it works out to ~£80 per guy, but it's a big lump to do in one go.

I think the extra head is that awful animated one

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
This issue of Dark Cybertron is kind of an odd miniconclusion. The two main plotlines conclude in two fistfights. Optimus Prime's is one of them and it's one of the best handled Prime smackdowns ever.

All of TFP Primes Moralizing, all of Live action Prime's tough talk, they never had a really earned moment of Prime-ness like this. Great stuff.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Phy posted:

Yeah, it's stuff like that that is what I've been liking Dark Cybertron for. Optimus Prime is not your dad.

I don't know that seems kinda out of character for Optimus to me(although I'm not as familiar with the IDW version as I am with others)

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Is Dark Cybertron the comics that all the IDW figures are coming with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
There'd better be a one page recap of Dark Cybertron when MTMTE returns, since I find it impossible to read the actual comics.