Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

SunAndSpring posted:

Did you get the key near that one guy who takes your papers and gives you the orders to go to Caius Cosades's house? If so, you can break into the warehouse right across from the Census building and rob it of all the armor, moon sugar, and skooma inside of it.

I don't think I ever have. Welp, time to reinstall.

becrumbac posted:

I used Chrysamere, is that bad?

A good sword, I'll allow it

Fake James fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Morrowind is the best loving game because its the only one where, 10 years later, I can be reading an irl religious/philosophical text and ill suddenly be like "holy poo poo THAT'S what that part of the sermons was referencing" (btw Zizek talks about Morrowind in a sort of ouroborous of philosophy here http://www.lacan.com/zizbadman.htm though he gets the game wrong)

I'm always haunted by the fact that I don't know whether its pronounced 'sal-triss' or 'salt rice' though

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

I'm always haunted by the fact that I don't know whether its pronounced 'sal-triss' or 'salt rice' though

It's a grain that grows by the ocean. What the gently caress do you think?

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

Yeah but I always said sal-triss and it sounds better so I really want it to be that

Salt rice is a meal I would make when theres no food in my house except rice, sal-triss might be a fantastical plant of an alien land or whatever

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Thinking about it, a new complaint I have is that drugs didn't do enough, and there weren't enough of them.

As in Morrowind, so in life.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Yeah but I always said sal-triss and it sounds better so I really want it to be that

Salt rice is a meal I would make when theres no food in my house except rice, sal-triss might be a fantastical plant of an alien land or whatever

"Saal-TRIS!"

*a wicked breeze blows up every skirt in a 15 yard radius*

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

it's mos def sal-triss

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

Also anyone who pronounces CHIM with a soft ch is a gigantic scrub who should zero-sum themselves

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Also anyone who pronounces CHIM with a soft ch is a gigantic scrub who should zero-sum themselves

Scrib :eng101:

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

The Thirty-Six Lessons of Vivec: Sermon Thirteen

These were the days of Resdaynia, when Chimer and Dwemer lived under the wise and benevolent rule of the AMLSIVI and their champion the Hortator. When the gods of Veloth would retreat unto their own, to mold the cosmos and other matters, the Hortator would at times become confused. Vivec would always be there to advise him, and this is the second of the three lessons of ruling kings:

'The secret syllable of royalty is this: (You must learn this elsewhere.)

'The temporal myth is man.

'The magical cross is an integration of the worth of mortals at the expense of their spirits. Surround it with the triangle and you begin to see the Triune house. It becomes divided into corners, which are ruled by our brethren, the Four Corners: BAL DAGON MALAC SHEOG. Rotate the triangle and you pierce the heart of the Beginning Place, the foul lie, the testament of the irrefutable-for-a-span. Above them all is the horizon where only one stands, though no one stands there yet. It is proof of the new. It is the promise of the wise. Unfold the whole and what you have is a star, which is not my domain, but not entirely outside my judgment. The grand design takes flight; it is transformed not only into a star but a hornet. The center cannot hold. It becomes devoid of lines and points. It becomes devoid of anything and so becomes a receptacle. This is its usefulness at the end. This is its promise.

'The sword is the cross and ALMSIVI is the Triune house around it. If there is to be an end I must be removed. The ruling king must know this, and I will test him. I will murder him time and again until he knows this. I am the defender of the last and the last. To remove me is to refill the heart that lay dormant at the center that cannot hold. I am the sword, Ayem the star, Seht the mechanism that allows the transformation of the world. Ours is the duty to keep the compromise from being filled with black sea.

'The Sharmat sleeps at the center. He cannot bear to see it removed, the world of reference. This is the folly of the false dreamer. This is the amnesia of dream, or its power, or its circumvention. This is the weaker magic and it is barbed in venom.

'This is why I say the secret to swords is the mercy seat. It is my throne. I am become the voice of ALMSIVI. The world will know me more than my sister and brother. I am the psychopomp. I am the killer of the weeds of Veloth. Veloth is the center that cannot hold. Ayem is the plot. Seht is the ending. I am the enigma that must be removed. These are why my words are armed to the teeth.

'The ruling king is to stand against me and then before me. He is to learn from my punishment. I will mark him to know. He is to come as male or female. I am the form he must acquire.

'Because a ruling king that sees in another his equivalent rules nothing.'

This is what was said to the Hortator when Vivec was not whole.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Page Downfall
May 5, 2009
I want to play this again but I want slightly better combat. Does openMW fix the combat?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Page Downfall posted:

I want to play this again but I want slightly better combat. Does openMW fix the combat?

Check the Morrowind modding thread. OpenMW is nowhere near ready. Last time I played I used a mod that would have you attack with left click and cast a spell with right (it would auto switch over, cast, then back to weapon). It made things more tolerable.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
I can't uninstall Morrowind because if I do I'll lose all my custom settings and mods

Pls halp

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

Thinking about it, a new complaint I have is that drugs didn't do enough, and there weren't enough of them.

As in Morrowind, so in life.

alcohol owns in morrowind. chug some sujumma and beat the gently caress outta everything with that 50+ strength buff

LEGO Genetics posted:

I can't uninstall Morrowind because if I do I'll lose all my custom settings and mods

Pls halp

why would want to uninstall morrowind? :colbert:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

kingcom posted:

Hey I heard all installations of Morrowind just download and install TESO now, can anyone confirm?

Draw distance seems about right.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

LEGO Genetics posted:

Pls halp

Simple: don't be a fuckhead and uninstall Morrowind.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
CHIM can be interpreted as Vivec’s awareness that he is a fictional character, existing within the mind of an author3. It is both true and false to say that Vivec “knows he is in a video game”. On the one hand, the fourth wall appears to remain intact, in that his knowledge is clothed in the language and symbols of TES. And yet he is a meta-NPC, aware of his existence as a product of the creative mind, and commenting on it in a unique way. Interesting comparisons might be drawn with the overtly-fourth wall breaking meta-NPC Psycho Mantis, in Metal Gear Solid – though not by me, as I’m sadly unfamiliar with the MGS series, comments welcomed!

But, someone might object, if Vivec is purely a creation of the author/Godhead, how can he also be identified with it, and therefore in control: “the only name of God, I”? To which I would give an answer that I suspect any author might understand – that sometimes creating a fictional character is precisely like this. They start out as a product of the author, and an extension of their mind, but the best ones soon escape those limitations. They take control. They assert their individuality in the face of the author’s attempts to shape them, puppet them, melt them down, zero-sum them. They attain CHIM – and they soon have their authors dancing to their tune. (Aaron Reed, author of Blue Lacuna, recently described a great example of this in this interview, when he talked about creating the character of Progue.)

“To keep one’s powers intact at such a stage is to allow for the existence of what can only be called a continual spirit. Make of your love a defense against the horizon.” – 36 Lessons, Sermon 35

Vivec is not powerless because he is imaginary; quite the reverse. To think otherwise would be to misunderstand the nature and power of the imagination. Vivec is imaginary, and knows it, which empowers him with a special kind of agency (another example of this sort of thing can be seen at the end of the philosophical novel, Sophie’s World). Vivec can interact with the world of TES on a level that most NPCs cannot reach. For example, he can do this:

Morrowind Construction Set
Vehk is all up in this.

“Vivec put on his armor and stepped into a non-spatial space filling to capacity with mortal interaction and information, a canvas-less cartography of every single mind it has ever known, an event that had developed some semblance of a divine spark.” – 36 Lessons, Sermon 19

This “space which is not a space”, also called “The Provisional House” is used by Vivec to locate things, and apparently to delete people, or “erase [them] from the thought realm of God” as he puts it. If, like me, you have ever modded for Morrowind, you will recognise this “thought-realm of God”, having spent countless hours there. It’s the Construction Set.

Furthermore, Vivec is the only character in the game who can address the player as an equal, who knows who, or rather what, the player is.

36 Lessons from one ruling king to another.

Keep in mind that Vivec’s thirty-six Sermons are explicitly presented as “Lessons”. The questions therefore become: what is being taught, and to whom? As early as Sermon 6, Vivec is cast as teacher to the legendary hero Nerevar (also known as the Hortator). Throughout the Sermons, Vivec continually attempts to teach things to Nerevar, who seems to be rather a slow learner, often becoming confused and misunderstanding. This is not surprising. It becomes increasingly clear that he is not actually the intended student.

Let’s look again at some of these “ruling king” references. We have already seen that “ruling king” can refer to Vivec, but he isn’t the only one. Vivec himself refers to someone else:

“The ruling king is to stand against me and then before me. He is to learn from my punishment. I will mark him to know. He is to come as male or female. I am the form he must acquire.” – 36 Lessons, Sermon 13

The second “ruling king” is the player. Within the fiction of Morrowind‘s narrative, the player is told their character is the Nerevarine, the reincarnation of Nerevar, the latest in a long line of “failed Incarnates” who died before they could fulfil their destinies as Nerevarine. Thus, while it makes no sense for Vivec to mention to the original Nerevar “the prophets that have borne your name before”, it makes perfect sense when addressed to the Nerevarine. I don’t think it stops there, either. Let’s go back to this earlier quote:

“The ruling king is armored head to toe in brilliant flame. He is redeemed by each act he undertakes. His death is only a diagram back to the waking world.” – 36 Lessons, Sermon 11

Who is Vivec talking to here? It could be the Nerevarine, since their death will lead to yet another reincarnation. But I think my initial reaction was correct – it also refers directly to the player. It doesn’t really matter whether or not we are to believe that Vivec does this deliberately: the function of the Nerevarine is in many ways equivalent to to the function of the player, lacking only the self-awareness. From his perspective, is it any wonder if Vivec, correctly, conflates the two? We meet a cave full of the ghosts of “failed Incarnates”, different individuals who were once Nerevarines, different characters the player might have created, different players. “The ruling king… is to come as male or female.”

Vivec recognises that the player is more then just their ingame character, that their deaths do not matter, they have the power to override it. This is also true of Vivec; he is a god. Both the player and Vivec merely possess avatars ingame, and CHIM means that we are invited to see Vivec as existing beyond the pixels of the game, just as the player does. Vivec is, therefore, in the perfect position to teach the player how to become a ruling king – how to “conquer” the game. To be a “ruling king of the world” is to be a successful player, to be a self-aware agent, to possess a form of CHIM. We can see from the failed Incarnates that not all players know how to “beat” the game. Via the 36 Lessons, Vivec claims to be teaching the player how to avoid this fate. What, then, does he suggest? And should we believe him?

Reach heaven by violence.

“Six are the guardians of Veloth, three before and they are born again, and they will test you until you have the proper tendencies of the hero.” – 36 Lessons, Sermon 6

Indoril helm, said to depict Nerevar’s (understandably grumpy) face.

If you have played through the Morrowind main quest, a certain thought may have occurred to you by this point. “Hang on,” you may be thinking, “isn’t there a lot of evidence that Vivec, in fact, murdered the original Nerevar, to conceal the truth about how he stole his divinity? Not to mention the fact that during the course of Morrowind, Vivec persecutes the Nerevarine, again, in order to conceal his crimes. And yet he tries to feed me this ridiculous and elaborate fiction in which he casts himself as Nerevar’s helpful teacher, who also wants to “help” me? The way he helped Nerevar? Does he think I’m an idiot?” This is a perfectly reasonable attitude.

For a start, it’s true – Vivec almost certainly did murder Nerevar. He admits it himself. A secret message encoded into the Lessons states:

“He was not born a god. His destiny did not lead him to this crime. He chose this path of his own free will. He stole the godhood and murdered the Hortator. Vivec wrote this.”

Yet, it’s also false – while Vivec may have murdered Nerevar before he became a god, in becoming a god, he broke the Dragon and was then able to rewrite his own past, shaping it as he saw fit. If the 36 Lessons depict a fiction, it’s one that Vivec, as a fictional being, was able to impose on his fictional universe. When reality is fictional, fiction IS reality. See what I mean about the power of the imagination?

“As Vehk and Vehk I hereby answer, my right and my left, with black hands. Vehk the mortal did murder the Hortator. Vehk the God did not, and remains as written. And yet these two are the same being. And yet are not, save for one red moment. Know that with the Water-Face do I answer, and so cannot be made to lie.” -Vivec, The Trial of Vivec

In an imagined universe, asking what “really” happened is a fool’s errand, as the historians of the Dragon Break discovered. What matters is what Vivec wants us to take from the 36 Lessons, and he is, unusually for him, really rather blunt about it:

“If there is to be an end I must be removed. The ruling king must know this, and I will test him. I will murder him time and again until he knows this. I am the defender of the last and the last. To remove me is to refill the heart that lay dormant at the center that cannot hold. … The ruling king is to stand against me and then before me. He is to learn from my punishment. I will mark him to know. He is to come as male or female. I am the form he must acquire. Because a ruling king that sees in another his equivalent rules nothing.” - 36 Lessons, Sermon 13

Vivec sets himself up as a teacher not just through words, but through example. He is the form the player must acquire… how? Through murder, Vivec implies. The treacherous slaughter of Nerevar is recast as a example to the player, not a betrayal, but a lesson. “It’s for your own good, you’ll thank me one day!” Vivec’s detractors would see this as the ultimate in arrogance and delusion. Arrogance, yes. The 36 Lessons can be seen as an attempt by once-mortal Vivec to hide his shame at betraying Nerevar. He builds a beautiful divine mythology for himself, in which every action is planned, premeditated and part of his holy mystery. All the faults and imperfections of his mortal existence are erased, transformed, reinterpreted. But delusion? Vivec’s divine existence is a delusion/illusion made as real as anything gets in TES, and if anyone is being deluded, it’s hardly Vivec himself. Some might say that God-Vivec’s rationalisations of mortal-Vivec’s actions can hold no possible validity, but within a world shaped by God-Vivec, aren’t his rationalisations the only ones that can hold any validity?

Because, of course, he’s right. It’s true. Vivec killed Nerevar as a plot device, to allow the player to play as the Nerevarine. This is as close to an “ultimate” truth as we’re going to get, and to believe otherwise would be the delusion. And Vivec, in his way, understands this.

“You alone, though you come again and again, can unmake him [Dagoth Ur -K]. Whether I allow it is within my wisdom. Go unarmed into his den with these words of power: AE GHARTOK PADHOME [CHIM] AE ALTADOON. Or do not. The temporal myth is man. Reach heaven by violence. This magic I give to you: the world you will rule is only an intermittent hope and you must be the letter written in uncertainty.” – 36 Lessons, Sermon 15

To win the game, then, the player needs to emulate Vivec, the “letter written in uncertainty”, and kill things. Reach heaven by violence. Morrowind is a game where the combat mechanic is a central one, so this will perhaps come as no great revelation to the player. From early on in the game, Dagoth Ur is presented as the enemy, the Big Bad who must be defeated to save the world. So, the player just needs to keep murdering things until they are powerful enough to slay Dagoth Ur… but hang on. That’s not what Vivec actually said, is it?

“The ruling king will remove me, his maker. This is the way of all children.” - 36 Lessons, Sermon 15

Vivec states clearly: “If there is to be an end I must be removed. The ruling king must know this, and I will test him. I will murder him time and again until he knows this.” The moral of Nerevar’s murder is one of retaliation. The 36 Lessons are not teaching the player that they should kill Dagoth Ur – the player knows this already. They are saying that the player should kill Vivec. This was the part that floored me. All those bloodthirsty Vivec-killing players I sneered at had apparently stumbled their way into doing his bidding!

I couldn’t figure it out, at first. True, the death of his ingame avatar would not be a huge deal to Vehk, but why? Then I remembered about the “back path”. This is an alternate way to complete the main quest, and requires killing Vivec to obtain the magical artifact Wraithguard long before the player would normally get it. Although it’s no easy task, it allows the player to skip large sections of the standard main quest, and is therefore much faster, if the player is powerful enough to succeed. From a metagaming perspective, the “back path” makes sense, if you are a speedrunner, or a powergamer with something to prove. And a true “ruling king” sounds like they would be a powergamer to me!

This isn’t the only possible interpretation of Vivec’s words, just the most explicitly meta. It’s something of a stretch I know – though if I were really trying, I’d interpret the repeated claim that “a ruling king that sees in another his equivalent rules nothing” as an indictment of multiplayer. (Hey, it’s not as if there isn’t a precedent!)

Did Vivec (and/or his Godhead co-conspirator, Kirkbride,) really create a 36 volume, 16,000+ word cryptographical prose-poem in order to say, through veils of obscurity and allusion: to win at Morrowind, you should kill stuff, and for best results, kill me? Hardly. The metagame allusions are one thread among many, a fraction of the overall artistic achievement of the 36 Lessons. Still, it’s an enjoyable thread to follow, and trace the patterns it weaves.

It’s also nice to know that if I ever do bring myself to slay that glorious invisible warrior-poet of Vvardenfell, Vivec (AKA the magic hermaphrodite, the martial axiom, the sex-death of language and unique in all the middle world), he will be laughing all the way back over the fourth wall and into the thought-realm of God.

Epilogue: Know Love to avoid the Landfall, or What Vivec Did Next.
Vivec claims, ingame, that his divine powers are fuelled by the faith of the Dunmer people, apparently literally:

“Why did I try to kill you? Because you threatened the faith of my followers, and I needed their faith to hold back the darkness. … Any doubt whatsoever weakened their faith, and we needed their faith to give us the power to maintain the Ghostfence. … We have lost our divine powers, but not altogether. Some token of the people’s faith remains, and we shall dedicate it to rebuilding the Temple.” - Vivec’s ingame dialogue

It’s tempting to spin this another way – that the powers of a fictional being are fuelled by the imaginations of those who are thinking about him. So… what happens if no one is? In Sermon 18, Vivec predicts that a time will come when he is no longer necessary, as “the currency of the world’s condition”, the “ever-changing unconscious mortal agenda” will have changed so as to render his role superfluous. In other words, his narrative function will be spent. The plot won’t need him as a character anymore, the Godhead’s imagination will move on to other things.

In Oblivion, we are told that Vivec has mysteriously vanished from the world of Tamriel. In the recent ES novel, The Infernal City, we hear that the Ministry of Truth, the giant rock held aloft by the power of the people’s love for Vivec, has crashed to the ground, causing massive devastation of most of Vvardenfell. Has CHIM failed? Pity the fictional character forgotten by his author! Do we need to clap if we believe in NPCs? Personally, I can’t say I’m too worried. Certain documents, apparently sent from the “future” of Tamriel as we know it, make me think he was quite complicit in the destruction of Morrowind, and that he has a plan. For all the fans wailing and gnashing their teeth about it, destroying Morrowind is dramatically interesting and in a world where imagination is currency, that is much more valuable than complacency and stasis. I doubt we’ve heard the last of Vehk.

1 Whether, within the fiction of the game, Vivec himself wrote the Lessons is never explicitly stated, but this is the general understanding . In any case, I hope by the end of this piece it will be clear why such a question is meaningless!

2 The “Red King” is Tiber Septim, and, according to this quote from a TES IV: Oblivion text, he also possessed CHIM. It is significant that what he does with his CHIM is to resolve a metagame ES lore inconsistency! According to ingame texts from earlier ES games, Cyrodiil is mostly dense jungle. Oblivion depicts a Cyrodiil with no jungle, a little mild swampage, and a lot of Northern European forestry and farmland. What gives? CHIM does: we are told that at one point, Tiber Septim engaged in a bit of mystical landscape gardening, because he knew his people had always hated that darn jungle. This follows the pattern set by the Dragon Break of metagame-as-metaphysics in the service of what has been called “dev weaseling” (though I also like Ken Rolston’s “narrative thoughtcrime” appellation).

3 I could refer to a singular author or plural authors here. Many people have contributed to Vivec as a character, but in the context of the Lessons, the Godhead is effectively Kirkbride.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

rawdog pozfail posted:

Did Vivec (and/or his Godhead co-conspirator, Kirkbride,) really create a 36 volume, 16,000+ word cryptographical prose-poem in order to say, through veils of obscurity and allusion: to win at Morrowind, you should kill stuff, and for best results, kill me? Yes.
:haw:

rawdog pozfail posted:

What gives? CHIM does: we are told that at one point, Tiber Septim engaged in a bit of mystical landscape gardening, because he knew his people had always hated that darn jungle.
Maaan gently caress CHIM.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
oblivion: so we know that the lore said cyrodiil was a jungle, well, now the lore says that tiber septim caused a dragon break and turned cyrodiil into middle earth.
teso: so the lore may say that cyrodiil was a jungle and the dragon break may have occurred after the time period in which our mmo takes place, but the book was written by a drunk who forgot how to spell "middle earth" and wrote "jungle" instead, and the whole tiber septim thing never happened.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Amaranth is like double CHIM. You essentially become a new Godhead and create your own universe.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Smarmy Coworker posted:

oblivion: so we know that the lore said cyrodiil was a jungle, well, now the lore says that tiber septim caused a dragon break and turned cyrodiil into middle earth.
teso: so the lore may say that cyrodiil was a jungle and the dragon break may have occurred after the time period in which our mmo takes place, but the book was written by a drunk who forgot how to spell "middle earth" and wrote "jungle" instead, and the whole tiber septim thing never happened.

hell, didn't the crazy yelling guy in some town in skyrim shout the oblivion excuse for cyrodil being a boring eurotrash

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

praise be

naem
May 29, 2011

Chim

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

The Thirty-Six Lessons of Vivec: Sermon Fourteen

Vivec lay with Molag Bal for eighty days and eight, though headless. In that time, the Prince placed the warrior-poet's feet back and filled them with the blood of Daedra. In this way Vivec's giant-form remained forever harmless to good earth. The Pomegranate Banquet brought many spirits back from the dead so that the sons and daughters of the union had much to eat besides fruit.

The Duke of Scamps came while the banquet was still underway, and Molag Bal looked on the seven pennants with anger. The King of Rape had become necessary and therefore troubled for the rest of time. His legions and Kh-Utta's fell into open war, but the children of Molag Bal and Vivec were too elaborate in power and form.

The Duke of Scamps therefore became a lesser thing, as did all his own children. Molag Bal said to them: 'You are the sons of liars, dogs, and wolf-headed women.' They have been useless to summon ever since.

The holy one returned at last, Vehk, golden with wisdom. His head found its body had been tenderly used. He mentioned this to Molag Bal, who told him that he should thank the Barons of Move Like This, 'For I have yet to learn how to refine my rapture. My love is accidentally shaped like a spear.'

So Vivec, who had a grain of Ayem's mercy, set about to teach Molag Bal in the ways of belly-magic. They took their spears out and compared them. Vivec bit new words onto the King of Rape's so that it might give more than ruin to the uninitiated. This has since become a forbidden ritual, though people still practice it in secret.

Here is why: The Velothi and demons and monsters that were watching all took out their own spears. There was much biting and the earth became wet. And this was the last laugh of Molag Bal:

'Watch as the earth shall crack, heavy with so much power, that should have been forever unalike!'

Then that stretch of badlands that had been the site of the marriage fragmented and threw fire. And a race that is no more but that was terrible at the time to behold came forth. Born of the biters, that is all they did, and they ran amok across the lands of Veloth and even to the shores of Red Mountain.

But Vivec made of his spear a more terrible thing, from a secret he had bitten off from the King of Rape. And so he sent Molag Bal tumbling into the crack of the biters and swore forever that he would not deem the King beautiful ever again.

Vivec wept as he slew all those around him with his terrible new spear. He named it MUATRA, which is Milk Taker, and even the Chimeri mystics knew his fury. Anyone struck by Vivec at this time turned barren and withered into bone shapes. The path of bones became a sentence for the stars to read, and the heavens have never known children since. Vivec hunted down the biters one by one, and all their progeny, and he killed them all by means of the Nine Apertures, and the wise still hide theirs from Muatra.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Act IV, Scene III, continued

Lifts-Her-Tail
Certainly not, kind sir! I am here but to clean your chambers.

Crantius Colto
Is that all you have come here for, little one? My chambers?

Lifts-Her-Tail
I have no idea what it is you imply, master. I am but a poor Argonian maid.

Crantius Colto
So you are, my dumpling. And a good one at that. Such strong legs and shapely tail.

Lifts-Her-Tail
You embarrass me, sir!

Crantius Colto
Fear not. You are safe here with me.

Lifts-Her-Tail
I must finish my cleaning, sir. The mistress will have my head if I do not!

Crantius Colto
Cleaning, eh? I have something for you. Here, polish my spear.

Lifts-Her-Tail
But it is huge! It could take me all night!

Crantius Colto
Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.

END OF ACT IV, SCENE III

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Blue Raider posted:

Lifts-Her-Tail

Crantius Colto

Lifts-Her-Tail

Crantius Colto
So you are, my dumpling. And a good one at that. Such strong legs and shapely tail.

Lifts-Her-Tail
You embarrass me, sir!

Crantius Colto

Lifts-Her-Tail

Crantius Colto

Lifts-Her-Tail

Crantius Colto

END OF ACT IV, SCENE III

Best piece of literature ever written. Thanks Uncle Crassius!

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013

Blue Raider posted:

Lifts-Her-Tail

Crantius Colto

Lifts-Her-Tail

Crantius Colto

Lifts-Her-Tail
You embarrass me, sir!

Crantius Colto

Lifts-Her-Tail

Crantius Colto

Lifts-Her-Tail

Crantius Colto

END OF ACT IV, SCENE III

kill lizard wizard

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Good night, children, and always remember to guard your nine apertures from Milk-Taker.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
ACT VII, SCENE II, CONTINUED

Lifts-Her-Tail: My goodness, that's quite a loaf! But how ever shall it fit my oven?

Crantius Colto: This loaf isn't ready for baking, my sweet. It has yet to rise.

Lifts-Her-Tail: If only we could hurry that along. How would I accomplish such a task?

Crantius Colto: Oh, my foolish little Argonian maid, you must use your hands.

Lifts-Her-Tail: You wish me to kneed the loaf? Here?

Crantius Colto: Of course.

Lifts-Her-Tail: But what if the mistress catches me? Your loaf was meant to satisfy her appetite.

Crantius Colto: Don't fret, my delicate flower. I'll satisfy the mistress's cravings later.

Lifts-Her-Tail: Very well, but I'm afraid my oven isn't hot enough. It could take hours!

Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.

END OF ACT VII, SCENE II

naem
May 29, 2011

Feel so left out by missing this game

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Cantorsdust posted:

I mean the last dragonborn, who is either a mortal personally blessed by akatosh himself, an avatar of Lorkhan, or some combination of those, should have been a figure of legendary import. The Nerevarine reunited the squabbling factions of Morrowind and the Ashlander tribes together, waged war against a mad god, and judged three old ones, then defeated a Dawdric price at his own game. The Dragonborn killed some dragons and Alduin but the people of Skyrim did not unite behind him in the same way. Basically, the world of Skyrim just didn't recognize what a godly badass you were. Meanwhile in Morrowind once you killed Dagoth Ur people would greet you on the street with "Holy poo poo, the Nerevarine?! You're a god drat hero!"

Haha, yeah, that lack of real endgame change in Skyrim was pretty stupid. Especially if you go join the civil war after killing Alduin: Hey, Dragonborn, you just saved the whole world from the apocalypse by fighting a dragon-god in front of Shor's hall in Sovengarde and could kill me and half my city without breaking a sweat if I weren't marked as essential, it's cool that you want to join my side in this war, but I need you to go prove yourself by killing this ice wraith. Both sides should have been falling all over you to join together and drive the Thalmor from Skyrim.

But holy poo poo, what about Oblivion? You're not even the Hero, you're the Hero's Sidekick! "Hey Robin, while I'm learning everything I need to defeat Dagon, I need you to go to the Imperial City and get a book for me!"

Bloodplay it again posted:

When I finally bought it for the PC and realized loading screens were nearly non-existent on 7,200 rpm HDDs with 512+ MB of RAM, I hated life and stopped playing the game altogether. Then I played Oblivion, which really disappointed me because all of the cities were their own maps rather than being part of the overworld.

There was still some load time. Now put it on an SSD harddrive on a machine with 8GB RAM and watch it fly. Best mod for Oblivion was Open Cities (which also solved the problem of the Niben feeding into the ocean in the original :downs: )

plaguedoctor
Jun 26, 2008

I CAN DUMP MY GIRLFRIEND CAUSE SHE'S LIKE A WHORE, RIGHT GUYS? RIGHT???

Gobblecoque posted:

hell, didn't the crazy yelling guy in some town in skyrim shout the oblivion excuse for cyrodil being a boring eurotrash

No. He just told us that Talos was an rear end-man.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

The ending of Skyrim is unbelievable, did they not think people would bother to get to that point in the MQ? You get two random assholes and a weird filler moment where you have to shout 3 times, you punch the personification of time to death, and then you get shunted back onto a mountain and a dragon is like "Cool, thanks, see ya." You don't get any godly items, nobody back in town gives a poo poo, you can't tell anybody that Sovngarde is actually a couple of dudes standing still in a huge empty building and probably isn't worth dying for...

It owns that pretty much the first main quest task of Morrowind is Caius telling you "don't do the main quest straight away you idiot"

naem posted:

Feel so left out by missing this game

I got it free with a graphics card and my life would be so different if i had picked a different card (FX 5200 :cool:)

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

you get shunted back onto a mountain and a dragon is like "Cool, thanks, see ya."

And almost every dragon in the world still attacks you on sight, despite your killing their god-king, and they don't freak out and fly away the moment they get freed from Dragonrend.

Of course, there are still Ascended sleepers and ash-monsters wandering Red Mountain after the Ghost Fence falls, so...

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

you like to dance close to the fire dont you?

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
Seen any elves? AH ha ha

I reinstalled mw because of this thread, and when I step off the boat who do I see waiting for me, staring mournfully at me through the fog? Fargoth. Hello old friend.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

My Q-Face posted:

Of course, there are still Ascended sleepers and ash-monsters wandering Red Mountain after the Ghost Fence falls, so...

well it aint like they could suddenly be cured by the fall of house dagon and the end of the blight, mother fucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

if anyone's got the corprus, i'm looking to get pozzed.

• Locked thread