Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Donraj posted:

Looks like I'm set to interview for the NET registrar next month!

Also, how exactly does visa free transit in Hong Kong work? I mean, if you stay for sixty days can you spend a day in Shenzhen and come back for another sixty days?

Macau is the usual choice. I've never been to Shenzen. But that's the general idea, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Magna Kaser posted:

I hope I'm worth a lot.

This was my first thought lol

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

As a single man with no dependents and an average middle class income and no health problems you are worth about $300,000.

hth

(I saw this on TV.)

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

The water thing is taken to an extreme though. People believe it's a magical cure all and it has more to do with traditional Chinese medicine, yang levels, and Mao era propaganda.

I always assumed the thought process was more like this (for the average person, not a doctor):

"My entire life, everyone told me to drink hot water when I was sick. Therefore, if you are sick, I will tell you to drink hot water, because drinking hot water is what people are supposed to do when they are sick. If drinking hot water didn't do anything, I would not have had literally everyone telling me to drink it when I was sick. Therefore, drinking hot water must be helpful."

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

I'm not going to believe it until someone does a set of double blind clinical trails.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
I wonder when China thread will have a no talking about Chinese people or Chinese culture rule like we have in the Korea thread.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

DontAskKant posted:

I wonder when China thread will have a no talking about Chinese people or Chinese culture rule like we have in the Korea thread.

Chinese netizens enjoy freedom of speech.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
I'm starting a new tradition. I'm going to set my own groom price which will be no less than equal to my future bride's price. Also, what happens if you pay a bride price using a line of credit belonging to a stolen identity? Who then owns the bride rights?

Seriously though, is the bride price considered a reciprocal gift or is it a commodity transaction by the families? Is there a perceived transfer of ownership?

GuestBob posted:

I'm not going to believe it until someone does a set of double blind clinical trails.

Chinese medicine isn't going away until there isn't an economic incentive for pharmacies and hospitals to sell it. It's a multi-billion RMB market and any pharmacy would be stupid (but ethically justified) to exclude the product offerings. But having half of your shelves filled with literal and figurative snake oil alongside legitimate medicine only serves to reinforce the false equivalence in efficacy between science-based and Chinese medicine.

Discussing the merits of anything Chinese with a Chinese person never fails to end abruptly with their argumentum ad antiquitatem. I've never been able to have a calm, rational discussion with a Chinese person of any age.

"____________________ has been around for 5000 years, you foreigners just don't understand." I think it's a collective attempt to save national face which, ironically, has the exact opposite effect insomuch as it demonstrates tremendous ignorance, insecurity, and immaturity. We need to induce a movement where Chinese start to consider trying to save the face lost by their superficial face-saving attempts, but that would require a massive campaign to teach foresight.

Woodsy Owl fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 12, 2014

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

DontAskKant posted:

The Megathread: Everyday

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Hey Woodsy Owl why don't you knock it off and keep your racism to yourself before we actually do get a rule like in the Korea thread. Thanks in advance!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I fully support making GBS threads on Chinese "medicine" but let's focus on making GBS threads on the pseudoscience and not the people.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
How about ya'll take it to The Goon Doctor Traditional Chinese Medicine Megathread??

Edit: There isn't one because it would be the worst thing ever.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I view it much more as making GBS threads on the culture rather than the people. A lot of Chinese people have individually been really wonderful to me for years since coming out here, so I have no problems with the people. In fact, a lot of the reasons I stay in China is I love my work, because of the people, who all happen to be Chinese. But when my ex-girlfriend talks about her Traditional Chinese Medicine Doctor, I am going to poo poo on the idea of it, not actually the person who is the doctor. I don't think anyone is making GBS threads on the actual people, are they? I certainly haven't picked up on that if they are but I am dense as hell :shrug:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

bad day posted:

Nuff said.

Yeah, let's just move on.

Donraj posted:

Looks like I'm set to interview for the NET registrar next month!

Also, how exactly does visa free transit in Hong Kong work? I mean, if you stay for sixty days can you spend a day in Shenzhen and come back for another sixty days?

Congrats, like what simplefish said, just go to Macau and back. When are you coming in?

Magna Kaser posted:

I hope I'm worth a lot.

You are priceless. Without your "MY GOON CITY: HANGZHOU" I would have not been able to impress MY GIRLFRIEND.

computer parts posted:

I'm personally fascinated, though I haven't visited yet. It sounds like the US but without a few decades of infrastructure/education regarding basic issues.

So basically the US of the 1920s or so.

e: I mean the water thing makes total sense if you look at it from a germ perspective; even if I knew the germ theory I'd probably boil all of my water first too.

Well you should give a shot. Come during summer time, besides all this forum slap fighting, goons are pretty cool in person. I never met Goldboilermark, but I'm sure he's a decent host in Tianjin (but why would you want to go to Tianjin as a tourist :downsrim:)

If you like historical architecture then Beijing is nice. The Temple of Heaven, the Forbidden city, the Great wall are the main high lights. And when it's food there's the Great Leap brewery, roast duck places, and amazing dumplings.

If you like 1920's then definitely hit Shanghai. The Bund and the French Concession is literally 1920's stuff. There are fewer historical sights to see, but I really like JingAn and TianziFang is a bit touristy but has nice eateries. Food in Shanghai is great too! The famous soup dumplings, spring bamboo shoots during April, well Magna can tell you more. And then there's Boxing Cat and a whole bunch of nice craft beer places.

There's also out west in Sichuan province and Guizhou where you can see some nice undisturbed nature. It's a big country and there's a lot to explore.

And of course when you do come to HK give me a holler. HK is preeeety awesome (a bit too hot during summer).

caberham fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Feb 12, 2014

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

goldboilermark posted:

I view it much more as making GBS threads on the culture rather than the people. A lot of Chinese people have individually been really wonderful to me for years since coming out here, so I have no problems with the people. In fact, a lot of the reasons I stay in China is I love my work, because of the people, who all happen to be Chinese. But when my ex-girlfriend talks about her Traditional Chinese Medicine Doctor, I am going to poo poo on the idea of it, not actually the person who is the doctor. I don't think anyone is making GBS threads on the actual people, are they? I certainly haven't picked up on that if they are but I am dense as hell :shrug:

Woodsy Owl posted:

every single adult in the country acts like a preteen

Woodsy Owl posted:

I've never been able to have a calm, rational discussion with a Chinese person of any age.

Woodsy Owl posted:

I often find myself considering whether or not I'm being hyperbolic when I talk about China. Upon reflection, it's nearly always warranted.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Where the hell does Woodsy Owl live?

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
I wonder how European got over traditional European medicine and the Islamic world over traditional Islamic medicine and maybe the subcontinent is over Ayruvedic medicine for the most part (or at least it's less intense). Just copy that in a Shenzen factory and then TCM is cured.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

goldboilermark posted:

Henan, I think?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

goldboilermark posted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ao_-L8ioMQ71dEs4V1o4M0x2WFpxSVlkYmVZbjhsc3c#gid=0

It needs to be updated

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

caberham posted:

Yeah, let's just move on.

Congrats, like what simplefish said, just go to Macau and back. When are you coming in?

Oh, the interview is in New York City. The earliest I'll be in Hong Kong is in August. The transit question was unrelated.

Do you have to spend a full twenty-four hours outside of Hong Kong or something, or can you just turn back around and come back?

Also the excitement has died down and been replaced by nervousness. I have historically not had a good success record with interviews for teaching jobs. Anyone have any advice?

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Woodsy Owl posted:

Discussing the merits of anything Chinese with a Chinese person never fails to end abruptly with their argumentum ad antiquitatem. I've never been able to have a calm, rational discussion with a Chinese person of any age.

"____________________ has been around for 5000 years, you foreigners just don't understand." I think it's a collective attempt to save national face which, ironically, has the exact opposite effect insomuch as it demonstrates tremendous ignorance, insecurity, and immaturity. We need to induce a movement where Chinese start to consider trying to save the face lost by their superficial face-saving attempts, but that would require a massive campaign to teach foresight.

I really haven't had this problem. Not saying it doesn't happen, but pretty much everyone fearcotton and I know well in China and associate with are rational, intelligent people. Then again, almost all of these folks are educated, the lowest of them having completed their undergrads at tier 1 and tier 2 schools and a few holding PhDs from Tsinghua and BeiDa. Like anywhere else in the world, education impacts the way people act and think massively.

AfroNinja
Oct 24, 2006
I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT EXPLOITING WOMEN BECAUSE I HAVE A SMALL DICK AND DESERVE TO TAKE A BULLET IN THE SKULL

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Medical Advice

I try to stay positive about China but it's insane sometimes here and you honestly have to vent about it because it has no valid reason to be happening.

TRUTH. This is why the China threads and the WeChat group exist. Its for the sake of our sanity!

I love hearing about Chinese medicine. It never ceases to amazing me. It's amusing but at the same time really dangerous. Its one thing to have a crazy cure for the common cold but when claiming rhino horn powder can cure cancer is just hosed up.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
so what is the deal with sea cucumbers for sale at crazy prices?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

My completely uneducated guess: they are vaguely penis-shaped therefore must cure impotence/increase virility therefore $$$$.

Edit:

some website of dubious provenance posted:

According to analysis by principles of traditional Chinese medicine, the sea cucumber nourishes the blood and vital essence (jing), tonifies kidney qi (treats disorders of the kidney system, including reproductive organs), and moistens dryness (especially of the intestines). It has a salty quality and warming nature. Common medicinal uses of sea cucumber in China include treating: weakness, impotence, debility of the aged, constipation due to intestinal dryness, and frequent urination.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Feb 12, 2014

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

AfroNinja posted:

TRUTH. This is why the China threads and the WeChat group exist. Its for the sake of our sanity!

I love hearing about Chinese medicine. It never ceases to amazing me. It's amusing but at the same time really dangerous. Its one thing to have a crazy cure for the common cold but when claiming rhino horn powder can cure cancer is just hosed up.

The one CRAZY cure A HOUSEWIFE discovered for the common cold DOCTORS do NOT want YOU to KNOW!

it's hot water

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

caberham posted:

Well you should give a shot. Come during summer time, besides all this forum slap fighting, goons are pretty cool in person. I never met Goldboilermark, but I'm sure he's a decent host in Tianjin (but why would you want to go to Tianjin as a tourist :downsrim)

I am alright IRL but caberham is correct. There is really no reason to visit Tianjin. :smith:

There are forum slapfights from time to time but we all need to vent and I think even if we all don't see eye to eye on things we're here to help each other out. If any goon turned up in Tianjin and needed a place to stay or had requests for things to do I would gladly help them out, no matter how much petty slapfighting had happened on the internet.

blinkyzero posted:

I really haven't had this problem. Not saying it doesn't happen, but pretty much everyone fearcotton and I know well in China and associate with are rational, intelligent people. Then again, almost all of these folks are educated, the lowest of them having completed their undergrads at tier 1 and tier 2 schools and a few holding PhDs from Tsinghua and BeiDa. Like anywhere else in the world, education impacts the way people act and think massively.

I work with pretty intelligent people as well but when I'm away from work, I do see

Woodsy Owl posted:

from time to time. And I understand the frustration with it. On my bad days it is really, really difficult to handle. And like blinky said, it is a problem with the entire educational system, which isn't going to be overhauled anytime soon.

I really believe that the concept of face will be the one thing that ultimately holds China back from being the biggest superpower in the world.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I think the thing that will hold them back is they were too late to the party and now the world's ecosystem will undergo a catastrophic collapse before they can get there.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

goldboilermark posted:

I really believe that the concept of face will be the one thing that ultimately holds China back from being the biggest superpower in the world.

I want to see what this country's going to look like in 50 years when you can't run a factory here anymore because all the jobs have been exported to cheaper countries. That's already starting to happen now.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I haven't heard a compelling case for how China is going to dodge the middle income trap. Small countries seem much more able to get away from it while large countries with a high Gini coefficient haven't ever since the postwar boom as far as I know. Though I couldn't tell you why.

Also I'm glad I've met some Chinese people who I really like and respect or I would start sounding racist sometimes.

Speaking of which I bought some local maple syrup when I was home for a friend and now that I've got it I can't imagine what he'd do with it. Any recipe ideas? Can you even make pancakes in a a wok with ingredients you can get in China?

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Test results are in and I drink hot water.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Re: pancakes.

Are you loving serious? I make pancakes every day. Flour, eggs, milk, butter (or oil), sugar, baking soda. That's all that's in pancakes, and the only ingredient you can't visually identify at any store knowing no Chinese is baking soda.

Pancake mix is a joke. I have no idea why people even buy it - most mornings I throw together some pancakes/crepes (creeps have more egg in them) in a couple of minutes by eyeballing the ingredients. The only mistake you can really make is putting in too much baking soda or burning the pancakes.

Protip: smaller pancakes are more difficult to gently caress up, so don't make big ones if you're unsure about the heat or pan.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

Speaking of which I bought some local maple syrup when I was home for a friend and now that I've got it I can't imagine what he'd do with it. Any recipe ideas? Can you even make pancakes in a a wok with ingredients you can get in China?

He can make sweet jianbing. Sitr fry sweet cashews. Wok fried brownies. Whatever!

Mix it up with Pecans and use it as a sweet you tiao. Apple sauce with Cinnenmon. Add it straight up on ice cream. Maple Syrup is wonderful :canada:

Jeoh, please teach us how to make Pannekoeken :ohdear:

caberham fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Feb 12, 2014

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I just realized I have never made pancakes. My dad is the pancake guru of the family and he likes to do things his way and not have other people in the kitchen.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
That's not a guru. That's a tyrant. FREE THE PANCAKES,

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
The L. Ron Hubbard of pancakes.

The Marshall Applewhite of pancakes.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
I always preferred crêpes. Especially buckwheat with fresh spinach and an egg sunny side up inside, topped with some gruyere.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

caberham posted:

Jeoh, please teach us how to make Pannekoeken :ohdear:

Pannenkoeken :eng101: Please observe the updated spelling of '95 :geert:

Basically: Two eggs, 250g flour, 500ml milk. Put butter in the pan so it doesn't get all smooth like American pancakes. American pancakes are too fat anyway.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I use whole wheat flour but you can't use all whole wheat flour so I use some whole grain cake flour as well.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

blinkyzero posted:

I want to see what this country's going to look like in 50 years when you can't run a factory here anymore because all the jobs have been exported to cheaper countries. That's already starting to happen now.

Has anyone in here read? http://goo.gl/t03WRk

It's a sci-fi novel in a future where China is the big superpower, but Chinese people are still obsessed with face and persecute homosexuals. Also Mao and Lenin have been deified, so people swear like, "Lenin and Mao! That is a delicious dumpling."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

systran posted:

Has anyone in here read? http://goo.gl/t03WRk

It's a sci-fi novel in a future where China is the big superpower, but Chinese people are still obsessed with face and persecute homosexuals. Also Mao and Lenin have been deified, so people swear like, "Lenin and Mao! That is a delicious dumpling."

I swear by Lenin all the time. Why, it was just the other day I said "By Lenin! I can't eat another Baozi!"

Seriouspost: that book looks rad.