Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

skaboomizzy posted:

Reminder that Rupert Murdoch bought the WSJ in 2007.
When I heard about that I told my dad to stop our subscription back then and switched over to The Economist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Yeah, we covered the Pat Robertson thing in the Nye vs. Ham thread. Turns out ol' Pat is losing his grip on reality as he ages into dementia. Of course, in his case that means he's heading back toward actual rationality (in some very limited cases), since there simply wasn't any room left in the other direction.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Acquilae posted:

When I heard about that I told my dad to stop our subscription back then and switched over to The Economist.

That's hardly any better.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

comes along bort posted:

FT or nothing, all the others have gone full class war. It's pretty well hosed too though if Newscorp is able to buy it as it was planning.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Imagine if he wasn't an obstinate dick when this first started gathering steam, he could've aped Seattle and came up with a non-offensive NA reference name and imagery, had Nike re-do their jerseys too and be sitting on a pile of cash and a lot less terrible PR.

He's a cheapass owner who bribed the W administration to cut down trees so his house could see water.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ayn rand hand job posted:

He's a cheapass owner who bribed the W administration to cut down trees so his house could see water.

And he also dressed up Native American WW2 vets in redskins gear.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I thought he just did it and then paid the large fine when he got in trouble since he has gently caress you money and considered that part of the "cost" of cutting them down.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 12, 2014

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Infomaniac posted:

If I had to listen to one right wing radio personality for the rest of time it would be savage no contest

The correct answer is Andrew Wilkow. He's like an unfiltered stream of the douchiest parts of Internet libertarianism and it's consistently hilarious

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Hannity is one step closer to leaving New York, I'm sure the loss will be felt immediately.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/feb/11/sean-hannity-puts-ny-home-sale-talk-flies-hes-leav/

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Oh no he's taking his money with him! Surely this will beggar the Empire State!

Showcase SHODAN
Apr 27, 2011

L-l-look at you, lard-ass. A puh-puh-pathetic creature of fat and dreams, panting and sweating as you run down the aisle. Ho-how can you hope to match the p-price on a perfect, brand new car?

Infomaniac posted:

If I had to listen to one right wing radio personality for the rest of time it would be savage no contest.

Last time I listened to Savage, he was talking about how the ghost of his father came and visited him in his bedroom.

I don't remember where he went with that; probably segued into a commercial for Coke Zero or something.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
An aging New Yorker who's losing relevance, full of spite and moving to Florida? This is just unheard of!

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Intel&Sebastian posted:

An aging New Yorker who's losing relevance, full of spite and moving to Florida? This is just unheard of!

Hannity's life is basically a long form performance art interpretation of the pink Floyd song, Dogs.

Sorry Hannity, but next on the checklist is cancer :smith:

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
I occasionally listen to Sirius XM "PATRIOT" radio to get my dose of right-wing nut jobs. I's nice having a liberal talk radio counterpart in Progress 127, but Ed Schultz is the best host they have. Michelangelo Signorelli is amazing in his patience and open mindedness in talking to nutjobs over the air, but he's just too nice most of the time for me. Give me someone with the intelligence of Signorelli and the firebrand of Schultz.

Anyway, back to the point. Sirius XM Patriot generally features Hannity, Andrew Wilkow (THE WILKOW MAJORITY! is that like the silent majority?), and Mark Levin. The previous poster got it right, re: Wilkow, Hannity is 100% predictable, and I agree that Levin is the hardest to listen to. He's just so full of bile.

One of the Siriux XM Sports stations, Mad Dog Radio, had a night-time radio host named Dino Costa. He was generally knowledgeable about sports, but gradually spent the majority of his show talking about how he hated liberals, didn't think concussions were a big deal, and how he REALLY hated his boss, Christopher Russo, the founder of Mad Dog Radio. He became more and more unlistenable. Basically, the wannabe Rush Limbaugh of sports radio. He got moved to a different channel, was shoved into a 7 AM time slot, and continued his ranting and raving against his own boss. He was fired back in November or so, and will hopefully never find his way back onto the air.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

comes along bort posted:

At least they're honest in their hatred of the poor.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

railroad terror posted:

I occasionally listen to Sirius XM "PATRIOT" radio to get my dose of right-wing nut jobs. I's nice having a liberal talk radio counterpart in Progress 127, but Ed Schultz is the best host they have. Michelangelo Signorelli is amazing in his patience and open mindedness in talking to nutjobs over the air, but he's just too nice most of the time for me. Give me someone with the intelligence of Signorelli and the firebrand of Schultz.

If you want to touch the poop, Patriot radio is a great place to start. I didn't know about 127, i'll have to start listening to it. Doubt i'll get as much humor as I do from Patriot though.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

railroad terror posted:

Anyway, back to the point. Sirius XM Patriot generally features Hannity, Andrew Wilkow (THE WILKOW MAJORITY! is that like the silent majority?), and Mark Levin. The previous poster got it right, re: Wilkow, Hannity is 100% predictable, and I agree that Levin is the hardest to listen to. He's just so full of bile.

I've never listened to Levin. Maybe I should add him to the OP.

But, gently caress, if there's anyone on radio harder to listen to and take than Hannity I'm not sure I want to check him out. Hannity is just the worst because he contradicts himself sentence by sentence and show by show then ices the cake with a smugness that's always saying "I told you so." Savage is hard to take but he's so cartoonishly evil it almost comes off as comedy.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Radish posted:

I thought he just did it and then paid the large fine when he got in trouble since he has gently caress you money and considered that part of the "cost" of cutting them down.

Here's the story of his tree removal and the utter hell he (indirectly) caused a park ranger who wondered "Why the gently caress are there trees being cut down?"

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/magazine/january_february_2014/features/smokey_and_the_bandit048354.php?page=all

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

railroad terror posted:

One of the Siriux XM Sports stations, Mad Dog Radio, had a night-time radio host named Dino Costa. He was generally knowledgeable about sports, but gradually spent the majority of his show talking about how he hated liberals, didn't think concussions were a big deal, and how he REALLY hated his boss, Christopher Russo, the founder of Mad Dog Radio. He became more and more unlistenable. Basically, the wannabe Rush Limbaugh of sports radio. He got moved to a different channel, was shoved into a 7 AM time slot, and continued his ranting and raving against his own boss. He was fired back in November or so, and will hopefully never find his way back onto the air.
Yeah that Costa tool openly went after Hispanic athletes on the air when I was listening. He really desperately wanted to be Rush 2.0. I also loved how 90% of the time when he veered into politics he was 'just asking questions' when going after people in a generally bigoted manner.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Radio Nowhere posted:

Hannity is one step closer to leaving New York, I'm sure the loss will be felt immediately.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/feb/11/sean-hannity-puts-ny-home-sale-talk-flies-hes-leav/

Went in to touch the poop

quote:

We are unable to post your comment because you have been blocked by The Washington Times

:dance:

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

I've never listened to Levin. Maybe I should add him to the OP.

But, gently caress, if there's anyone on radio harder to listen to and take than Hannity I'm not sure I want to check him out. Hannity is just the worst because he contradicts himself sentence by sentence and show by show then ices the cake with a smugness that's always saying "I told you so." Savage is hard to take but he's so cartoonishly evil it almost comes off as comedy.

I honestly don't understand how you can be knowledgable of RW media and never listen to Levin. He's the whole industry distilled down into a misshapen ball of impotent rage. He definitely isn't harder to listen to than Hannity, though. Hannity is the hardest to listen to followed by Beck. Levin is too cartoonish to actually get upset about, kind of like Savage.

On a less related note Beck this morning was calling out generals for not standing up for the constitution and I guess he's going to do some in depth story on ft hood tonight

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Good Citizen posted:

I honestly don't understand how you can be knowledgable of RW media and never listen to Levin. He's the whole industry distilled down into a misshapen ball of impotent rage. He definitely isn't harder to listen to than Hannity, though. Hannity is the hardest to listen to followed by Beck. Levin is too cartoonish to actually get upset about, kind of like Savage.

On a less related note Beck this morning was calling out generals for not standing up for the constitution and I guess he's going to do some in depth story on ft hood tonight

They all have a certain over arching vibe to them. Hannity has his smugness. Beck has that mix of conspiracy theorist and morning zoo. Savage is your bitter grandpa.

And Levin is impotent rage incarnate.

His voice is down right laughable when he gets angry. The Master Shake comparison is really apt. He is absolutely poo poo with handling callers. Hell, the opening bit to his show is about how he is broadcasting from an underground bunker. He realizes the days of Reagan are never coming back, and the best he can do about it is preach about using the states to enact constitutional amendments, which I think he kind of realizes is never going to happen either.

Also, he is proud about being on the Tea Party side of the right wing, and even that is fading from national prominence.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

I wonder if Master Shake's voice was based on Levin. They have the same personalities. :v:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Blarghalt posted:

I wonder if Master Shake's voice was based on Levin. They have the same personalities. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCoBSBLPZZc

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Good Citizen posted:

I honestly don't understand how you can be knowledgable of RW media and never listen to Levin.

Because he's not aired in my market? :shrug: Or if he is, he's on after I'm asleep or not driving?

I'm knowledgeable enough but I'll look into it.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Good Citizen posted:

Levin is too cartoonish to actually get upset about

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

And Levin is impotent rage incarnate.

His voice is down right laughable when he gets angry. The Master Shake comparison is really apt. He is absolutely poo poo with handling callers. Hell, the opening bit to his show is about how he is broadcasting from an underground bunker. He realizes the days of Reagan are never coming back, and the best he can do about it is preach about using the states to enact constitutional amendments, which I think he kind of realizes is never going to happen either.

Yeah, this is why I find him so amusing. He's such a over the top yet sincere caricature of a right wing shill, and he comes off as being so very pathetic and sad and frightened. He gets me livid, but at the same time, I almost pity him for being so broken. Then I laugh at him because he is yelling hypocrisies at me in that shrill nasal Master Shake voice.

Hannity is just a moron pretending to be a smug voice of reason. Rush is just a mean old dickbag. Savage is just a mouthpiece for whatever random conspiracy popped up in his email. But Levin is something special. He is white male middle aged animus given form and substance. He is the god of impotent rage forced to walk amongst us and spew out nothing in the form of nasal ranting in between fistfuls of pistachios and pretzels. He is the physical manifestation of every revenge fantasy born of a swirly or wedgie or purple nurple. He is the child who threw his NES out the window because Megaman 2 was too hard given the body of a pasty, pudgy, balding middle-aged man. He is the end product of a life lived without joy or self-reflection. And I love to laugh at his outlandish solutions to non-existent problems made in his goofy loving voice.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Here's the story of his tree removal and the utter hell he (indirectly) caused a park ranger who wondered "Why the gently caress are there trees being cut down?"

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/magazine/january_february_2014/features/smokey_and_the_bandit048354.php?page=all

This makes me so goddamned angry

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Wait gently caress, is the Washington Times different from the Washington Monthly. I can't keep the loving right-wing clickbait garbage web-rags separate from the legitimate ones. I actually use the exact same strategy to identify right-wing publications that I use to guess on multiple-choice test questions. The one most like the others is the target. Applied to naming, the most innocuous sounding publication is the most likely to be right-wing, and probably more likely to be virulently so.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/12/nyregion/in-bid-to-reclaim-national-stage-christie-ridicules-democrats.html?_r=1

quote:

In his most expansive, engaging and combative remarks since scandal enveloped him, Mr. Christie mocked President Obama for entering office without “a respect for the other party,” complained that George W. Bush was “grossly underappreciated” in the White House and seemed to make a novel case for his own, now-blemished candidacy for president in 2016.

Huh, alright. I assume that's an appeal to the wingnuts out there who approve of loving up bridges, I'm not aware of any other part of the population with anything good to say about W.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
God drat that loving story. What's worse is that it feels like I've read that exact same story dozens of times already.

1. Rich, Politically Connected rear end in a top hat does something illegal/circumvents regulation
2. A bunch of sycophantic bureaucrats at said regulatory agency acquiesce to all their lovely demands gleefully
3. One upstanding employee tries to counteract their poo poo
4. Said employee gets insane amount of administrative retribution which is shocking to think is even possible
5. In the end said employee might be slightly vindicated after years of torment and financial ruin,
6. Said administrators are perfectly fine and probably promoted,
7. Said Rich rear end in a top hat is untouched, got his way, and maybe paid a nominal fine.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Gozinbulx posted:

God drat that loving story. What's worse is that it feels like I've read that exact same story dozens of times already.

1. Rich, Politically Connected rear end in a top hat does something illegal/circumvents regulation
2. A bunch of sycophantic bureaucrats at said regulatory agency acquiesce to all their lovely demands gleefully
3. One upstanding employee tries to counteract their poo poo
4. Said employee gets insane amount of administrative retribution which is shocking to think is even possible
5. In the end said employee might be slightly vindicated after years of torment and financial ruin,
6. Said administrators are perfectly fine and probably promoted,
7. Said Rich rear end in a top hat is untouched, got his way, and maybe paid a nominal fine.

Also known as a "Wednesday" in America. All the necessary hands are being greased.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Shlomo Palestein posted:

This makes me so goddamned angry

I have no idea how we gets so high and mighty when we talk about corruption of other countries. Here it just gets quietly buried while the people at the top eventually slither off to another job while pocketing ill gotten gains as opposed to just sitting in their cushy position forever like China or whatever. The American Justice system is hosed beyond repair. It's why Christie while probably having his presidential aspirations dashed, will get off with at most a fine for massive abuse of authority while some innocent kid goes to jail for years because he had to plea deal for a bullshit victimless crime.

Of course anyone involved in the Bush administration should be in jail but that should be common knowledge at this point. It's also why when Obama gets on TV and starts talking about trust he's full of poo poo.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 12, 2014

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

Because he's not aired in my market? :shrug: Or if he is, he's on after I'm asleep or not driving?

I'm knowledgeable enough but I'll look into it.

Go to YouTube and search for his show from the day after the 2012 election. You won't be disappointed. I'd just post it but I'm on my phone right now.

He's also one of the few personalities that puts up a podcast of his entire show without commercials every day. I'm subscribed to it on my phone so I can get my dose any time.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Don't forget about pre-emptive pardons and "retroactive immunity". The existence of those things alone should tell anyone anything they need to know about accountability to the law existing in the US of A.

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.

Good Citizen posted:

Go to YouTube and search for his show from the day after the 2012 election. You won't be disappointed. I'd just post it but I'm on my phone right now.

Oh man, thanks for the pointer. This is glorious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLUdGCyG-Pw

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
yesyesyesyesyes listening now. Let us all listen and transcend our petty bodies.

Oh poo poo this guy graduated 12th grade, he can talk at grade level.
e: Man at least he accepts the loving results. Could have screeched 'voter fraud' and gone home way the hell earlier.

agarjogger fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 12, 2014

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

isildur posted:

Oh man, thanks for the pointer. This is glorious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLUdGCyG-Pw

Christ, I'm sorry I asked. That is really hard to listen to.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

Christ, I'm sorry I asked. That is really hard to listen to.

He honestly doesn't sound any different from whenever I turn him on, since he is a screeching baby all of the time.

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.
"All you single women out there who voted for Democrats. Make sure you write them and demand your free contraceptives. Congratulations. Your country for a condom. That's just cool. You are cool people. Congratulations. No integrity."

:allears:

This guy is loving great. He's like the unleashed id of the Republican party. I can't stop listening to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

agarjogger posted:

e: Man at least he accepts the loving results. Could have screeched 'voter fraud' and gone home way the hell earlier.

It was too soon for mouthpieces with no original ideas like Levin to figure out which bullshit reason the election didn't count would be the fashionable one.