Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

goferchan posted:

Sometimes, sometimes it's not. Cockatrice, the free MtG client, has a really, really bad RNG -- in my experience it shits itself if you try and roll a d2 (for a coin flip) and it's way better to roll a d20 and just call odds or evens. I know this is totally anecdotal and could be a freak occurrence but an opponent and I sat there rolling d2s back and forth for a minute and I rolled ten 1s and he rolled ten 2s. Whatever algorithm they use seems seriously hosed
Not saying cockatrice's RNG couldn't be bad, but most like you and your opponent hit streaks that make your puny human brain see a pattern where none really exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

uggy posted:

oh no we rolled dice and there was a tie, let's spend 2 seconds to reroll them

This method is not guaranteed to terminate.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Korak posted:

Not saying cockatrice's RNG couldn't be bad, but most like you and your opponent hit streaks that make your puny human brain see a pattern where none really exists.

Yeah, exactly, which is why I'm kind of embarrassed to bring it up, but it was enough o convince my puny, human brain that I should at least roll a d20 next time so it can FEEL like there's more variance. But yes there's always the possibility that Cockatrice has a really lazy RNG that relies on the system clock or something

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Dr. Stab posted:

This method is not guaranteed to terminate.

Somewhere out there are two 5th Edition Magic players still rolling to see who goes first. :rolldice:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Two people doing 'high CMC goes first' except they're both playing Lands.dec

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

vOv posted:

Two people doing 'high CMC goes first' except they're both playing Lands.dec

This is the only correct way to determine who goes first.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
So I have a historically bad record with boosters but I bought three today anyway. Got a phenax, followed immediately by a foil Brimaz. Not sure what to do with it since I don't care about foils. The guy working at the shop offered me two non-foil brimaz for the one, and value wise I guess thats about right. Any reason I shouldn't take him up on that offer? I pretty much never have really high dollar cards to trade.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

So I have a historically bad record with boosters but I bought three today anyway. Got a phenax, followed immediately by a foil Brimaz. Not sure what to do with it since I don't care about foils. The guy working at the shop offered me two non-foil brimaz for the one, and value wise I guess thats about right. Any reason I shouldn't take him up on that offer? I pretty much never have really high dollar cards to trade.

You shouldn't take him up on the offer, you should trade/sell it to me :colbert:

(on a more serious note, that's value in your favor on the offer, I'd take it)

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Do this, non-foils are more liquid in trade value.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

C-Euro posted:

10? I thought I was bad trying make #s 3 and 4, neither of which I will probably play-
Crosis
Captain Sisay
Oros (WIP)
Budgety Momir (WIP, maybe becoming mono-green with Yeva?)

We get bonuses in store credit and for a long time, whenever I ran out of things to buy, I just started a new deck. I think I built Mimeo the day a bunch of stuff would expire just so it didn't go to waste. Like, I bought the entire deck in two hours.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

qbert posted:

My favorite way of determining who goes first is pulling out Rock Lobster, Paper Tiger, and Scissors Lizard and shuffling them facedown and letting my opponent pick his card and mine.

Nth-ing this. I start every match with:
Opponent: "High Roll?"
Me: "No."
Opponent: ???
Me: Puts 3 cards face down. "Pick one!" "Now, pick one for me!"

No weird stuff like dice on the floor, etc. Plus, who doesn't like subgames? (which, on that note, is probably one of my favorite cards, ie Goblin Game)

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos
Bunch of card fixes for Magic Online, New Player Event changes, and a bunch of old formats pruned.

Magic Online Announcements February 11, 2014

WotC_ClaytonKroh posted:

General
  • Fixed: The Jace, Architect of Thought -8 ability now correctly prompts the active player to select OK for all card selection.
  • Fixed: Oubliette now returns the exiled creature to the battlefield.
  • Fixed: Spells targetting Kaervek's Torch now correctly cost an additional 2 colorless mana.
  • Fixed: Effects such as Extort or Pact of Negation that require mana now work properly when a player has mana in his or her mana pool.
  • Fixed: Carnage Gladiator and Agent of Masks abilities now correctly cause life loss.
  • Fixed: Instances where certain cards caused a player to gain life when they should lose life.
  • Fixed: Casting Domestication on a god when the caster has the same god on the battlefield, but lacks enough devotion for it to be a creature, will now properly move one god card to the graveyard.
  • Fixed: Archmage Ascension no longer causes a crash when using the library search ability.
  • Fixed: Imposing Sovereign no longer causes bestow enchantments to enter the battlefield tapped.
  • Fixed: A bestow enchantment is now exiled with the creature it is attached to when that creature is exiled with Tawnos's Coffin.
  • Fixed: Blocking with multiple Guardian of the Gateless will now result in damage being properly assigned and the game to continuing.
  • Fixed: Ajani's Chosen triggered with Enchanted Evening now correctly results in a draw.
  • Fixed: Necromancy now falls off of Phyrexian Metamorph if it copies a noncreature permanent.
  • Fixed: Creatures put into play by Sneak Attack are no longer sacrificed if control of the creature changes to a player other than the controller of Sneak Attack.
  • Fixed: Ability text of Curse of Forsaken when on the stack has been corrected.
  • Fixed: Tin Street Hooligan now triggers when being cast with green mana even if other color mana is in the player's pool.
  • Fixed: Sunburst mechanic now correctly calculates the colors of mana used to pay sunburst costs in all situations.
User Interface
  • Fixed: Promo Bident of Thassa card now has the correct border.
  • Fixed: Commander (2011 Edition) now takes users to the correct section of the online store.
  • Fixed: Cards in the Planeswalker 2014 Expansion now properly show as owned when decklist is loaded.
  • Fixed: Nighthowler promo now has the correct card art.
  • Fixed: Hideaway no longer causes exiled creatures to display "zeroth" count.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Applebees posted:

Bunch of card fixes for Magic Online, New Player Event changes, and a bunch of old formats pruned.

Magic Online Announcements February 11, 2014

quote:

Fixed: Spells targetting Kaervek's Torch now correctly cost an additional 2 colorless mana.

Thats been an issue for at least a year, probably closer to two years IIRC. About loving time.

quote:

During the February 12 downtime, the following formats will be retired:
Mercadian Masques Block Constructed
I'm sure Cuneo is pissed.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
RIP Mojosto.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Zorak posted:

RIP Mojosto.

I am incredibly tired and I read that list three times, what happened to get rid of Mojhosto?

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

rabidsquid posted:

I am incredibly tired and I read that list three times, what happened to get rid of Mojhosto?

They got rid of Classic Vanguard for some reason.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Acolytes reward- does it always deal damage equal to my devotion, or based on the amount of damage that was prevented? If I'm reading it right, if I have 5 devotion it should deal 5 damage, regardless of how much damage would have actually been dealt to my creature?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Acolytes reward- does it always deal damage equal to my devotion, or based on the amount of damage that was prevented? If I'm reading it right, if I have 5 devotion it should deal 5 damage, regardless of how much damage would have actually been dealt to my creature?

No it only deals damage equal to the amount of damage that's actually prevented. For example, your devotion is 5, so the next 5 damage dealt to whatever creature you targeted first would be prevented. The creature gets hit with Lightning Strike, it would only deal 3 damage to the 2nd thing you targeted.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
In that situation, could it then also prevent 2 more damage from another source later in the turn? If so, would it then do that 2 damage to the second target at that time?

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Applebees posted:

Fixed: Nighthowler promo now has the correct card art.

Just logged in and I still have the same old Magic "M" in place of my Nighthowler art. Anyone else still missing the art?

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Just logged in and I still have the same old Magic "M" in place of my Nighthowler art. Anyone else still missing the art?

Downtime shouldn't have happened yet.

Karmoderm
Aug 24, 2008

netcat posted:

They got rid of Classic Vanguard for some reason.

They still have Freeform Vanguard though right? As far as I know it didn't get culled.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Yeah its fine, false alarm!

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
So it looks like while my back was turned the online Theros block meta was solved:
http://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/block

87% of the metagame is RGW and it's the only deck to 4-0 dailies for the past two weeks :psyduck: Hopefully Born of the Gods can make some of the cheaper decks more viable again.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Kabanaw posted:

So it looks like while my back was turned the online Theros block meta was solved:
http://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/block

87% of the metagame is RGW and it's the only deck to 4-0 dailies for the past two weeks :psyduck: Hopefully Born of the Gods can make some of the cheaper decks more viable again.

I'm doubtful on that front, I mean if you take a look at the block deck, it looks almost identical to standard rg monsters, I think they had to swap out like 9 total cards in the 75 between standard and block. While everyone else is playing a block deck, RG is a standard competitive deck.

So its possible, I just have very strong doubts. Heck especially with the Xenabros both being legal in the deck, I can't imagine that RGW, or heck even just straight RG won't just dominate.

Further its really hard for a good aggro deck to take off in this format with the only fixing being a scrying tapland. Theros is a midrange heaven, and GRW has all the best stuff.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
How much does WotC use block constructed metagames to decide how to balance the next block?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

whydirt posted:

How much does WotC use block constructed metagames to decide how to balance the next block?

How could it? I thought the lead times were such that each set is close to finalized before the previous bock is out. They probably rely much more on Future Future league testing.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

GoutPatrol posted:

How could it? I thought the lead times were such that each set is close to finalized before the previous bock is out. They probably rely much more on Future Future league testing.

Pretty much this. Zac Hill left the company in Fall 2012 and we still haven't seen all the sets he worked on yet.

FearlessRedBeard
Feb 9, 2014

GoutPatrol posted:

They still attempt to fix mistakes far too late, just check out Skylasher. This card rotated in by the time the card it targeted fell out the meta.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

FearlessRedBeard posted:

They still attempt to fix mistakes far too late, just check out Skylasher. This card rotated in by the time the card it targeted fell out the meta.

Edit: I wrote something dumb here and then removed it.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

FearlessRedBeard posted:

I like Kataki, War's Wage, who was shoved into the first set they could as a stopgap to Affinity, but by then Affinity's power players had already been banned out of the format (Mirrodin-Kamigawa standard).

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Zoness posted:

I like Kataki, War's Wage, who was shoved into the first set they could as a stopgap to Affinity, but by then Affinity's power players had already been banned out of the format (Mirrodin-Kamigawa standard).

June
Standard: Skullclamp is banned.
Mirrodin block constructed: Skullclamp is banned.[25]
September
Extended: Metalworker and Skullclamp are banned.
Vintage: Braingeyser, Doomsday, Earthcraft, and Fork are unrestricted.
Type 1.5: Format becomes independent of Vintage. For full list of bans and unbans see reference.[26]
December
Vintage: Stroke of Genius is unrestricted.[27]

March
Standard: Arcbound Ravager, Disciple of the Vault, Ancient Den, Great Furnace, Seat of the Synod, Tree of Tales, and Vault of Whispers are banned.
Vintage: Trinisphere is restricted.
Starter Level sets Starter 1999, Starter 2000, Portal, Portal Second Age, and Portal Three Kingdoms become legal in Legacy and Vintage in October.[28]

In less than a year Wizards had to ban 8 cards, in standard. People talk about how unfun caw-blade standard was.....and then I point them to mirrodin block and laugh my fat rear end off.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

FearlessRedBeard posted:

Not only had the deck ceased to exist months prior, it'd ceased to be this omnipresent Standard-defining powerhouse for like a year. A year before Skylasher was out, standard had settled into a kind of healthy rock paper scissors equilibrium of Delver, Zombie aggro and Naya variants.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Plus, I doubt Wizards even thought about block formats other than the full THS-BNG-JIN format when designing the sets. I'm not sure why they even have it as a format for Daily events on MTGO, it's really not that fun to play with such a restricted card pool, especially for an extended period of time.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Some friends and I recently got into magic a little late after playing the planeswalkers games on iOS. We're all in our 30's and just attended the born of the gods pre-release tournament last weekend. I ended up doing not terribly for it being one of my first times playing the game and built a red/green tribute-y deck with some nessian wilds ravager, a nessian asp. I ended up going 2-2-1 and coming in 80th out of 200.

After realizing I have enough cards now from Theros and BoTG to start thinking about a constructed deck or two I started looking up what could be some fun green/red decks or whatever else looked interesting from primarily the current block. I'd love to build something around Xenagos, Polukranos, or some Hydras but having priced out some of the decks in this article http://www.starcitygames.com/article/27764_Playtime-With-Xenagos.html I realized this guy isn't f'ing around.

So where do I begin if I want to build a budget-minded ~$50 deck from mostly Theros & BoTG that is still competitive?

4 of us are picking up a box of BoTG this weekend to play sealed, maybe I should just stick to that for the time being until I have more legendaries to trade with. :shrug:

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I'd mix at least a few Theros packs in with those BotG ones. A 50/50 mix would be best, but even a pack per pool would be better than nothing.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

whydirt posted:

I'd mix at least a few Theros packs in with those BotG ones. A 50/50 mix would be best, but even a pack per pool would be better than nothing.

I just did a full BNG draft and second this. There just isn't enough in BNG to do ANYTHING unique. You will end up with some of the jankiest crap you've ever seen.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Triple small set draft is a bad idea, why do people insist on doing it? There's a reason the draft format is BTT.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Because people are tired of drafting Theros and want to play with the new cards.

I really liked the Large-Large-Large Large2-Large2-Large2 Small-Large2-Large1 formats of RTR block, it seems like a good way to give people what they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I mean if you're just doing sealed to get some extra value out of the booster box you were going to buy anyway, it's not the end of the world to do only the small set. It's just not something I'd want to do regularly.

• Locked thread