Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I remember when I still thought Wikipedia mattered, I was engaged in an editing war with an old grognard about which bands really are and aren't this or that genre. He was incredibly bitter about "kiddies" thinking that the Birthday Massacre is industrial. I'm sure that "kiddies" is a totally sick burn in German or whatever, but it made him sound like an even bigger idiot than he was already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Konstruct posted:

I had a holy poo poo moment this morning when I woke up and saw my album was named number 3 of the top 30 albums of 2013 by Brutal Resonance. I was so excited I wanted to share this with you guys.

http://brutalresonance.com/album-of-the-year/2013/3/
I've been listening to it a lot. It's very, very good.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

I'm Going To Spread Saikyo All Over The World!!

Omi-Polari posted:

I've been listening to it a lot. It's very, very good.

Thank you. :glomp:

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Anyone catching Skinny Puppy on this tour? We have the Houston show tomorrow night, with DMREX opening. Honestly, I'm almost more excited to see a Cyrus Rex/Douglas McCarthy collaboration than the Puppies at this point. I still lose the Kevin's something fierce, but I peeked at the set list and aside from a few throw backs ("Deep Down Trauma Hounds", "First Aid"!, "Solvent" but that was a given, and maybe "Glass Houses" encore) it's heavy on Weapon. I like that album enough, but really would it kill those fuckers to play some "spasmolytic" or "knowhere?"?

Oh well, the stage show is always face melting. It should be a good time.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 31, 2014

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I think I'm skipping. It's at a bad inconvenient venue, and Army of the Universe is opening :barf:

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

teethgrinder posted:

I think I'm skipping. It's at a bad inconvenient venue, and Army of the Universe is opening :barf:

Worst venue.

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Catjaw is a hero of the people
I'm totes going to the Maryland show. I was hoping for more old stuff too, but I'll take what I can get.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

I'm going to the Charlotte, NC show but yeah I'm not too psyched about Army of the Universe opening. It's really going to pale in comparison to when I saw Otto Von Schirach open for them.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Twiin posted:

Worst venue.

The San Fransisco show is at the Fillmore, which is also a bad choice of venue. Maybe this is the Don't Come Out tour.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
The new AP album is up on Revolver.

quote:

main man Daniel Graves comments. “I set out to demolish every expectation people have about Aesthetic Perfection, and I think I succeeded.
No poo poo.

Also congrats Konstruct!

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Are there any good tracks at all? After the last album and Big Bad Wolf I don't think I can stomach a full listen.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Sloppy posted:

Are there any good tracks at all? After the last album and Big Bad Wolf I don't think I can stomach a full listen.
I think it's fair to say that if you didn't like Big Bad Wolf you will probably not like anything else on this album.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

hatelull posted:

Anyone catching Skinny Puppy on this tour? We have the Houston show tomorrow night, with DMREX opening. Honestly, I'm almost more excited to see a Cyrus Rex/Douglas McCarthy collaboration than the Puppies at this point. I still lose the Kevin's something fierce, but I peeked at the set list and aside from a few throw backs ("Deep Down Trauma Hounds", "First Aid"!, "Solvent" but that was a given, and maybe "Glass Houses" encore) it's heavy on Weapon. I like that album enough, but really would it kill those fuckers to play some "spasmolytic" or "knowhere?"?

I'm hoping to maybe go to the Salt Lake City one, but I'm not entirely sure yet as I haven't been up to driving all the way down from my town.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

So the show was pretty ok, bordering on great. For Houston, the venue dealt the band a band deal forcing them to play the smaller "Studio" space rather than the larger ballroom. The crowd energy was super high, the but the small confined space definitely affected the stage performance. They sounded tight and deadly though.

If In Solvent See was the band's old school fan favorite set list, then this tour is traditional in supporting the latest record. So, if you're not a huge fan of Weapon then you might consider passing. They played a handful of the classics, but there was nothing from VivisectVI, Too Dark Park, or Last Rights (which seems to be the comfort zone for that golden Puppy). On the plus side, they also didn't bother with material from The Process or Greater Wrong of the Right either so there's that. I wasn't disappointed, and got to see a few tracks I love to see live "First Aid" was the easy highlight.

Aside: Goetell's birthday was the night of the show. Key bombed facebook with said fact and talked about a tribute at the show. I was stoked, thinking they would bust out "Antagonism", but alas it was the same encore the previous dates had. Furthermore, the final song "Ashas" is a tribute to a former stage hand and while an interesting thing on a not really great record was truly a piss poor song to close out the entire loving show with.. Oh well, at least they played "Assimilate."

hatelull fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 3, 2014

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

hatelull posted:

I am posting from the show at Tipitina's. :wth:

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
The Denver tickets for SP are turning out to be more expensive than I expected. Has the show been crazy awesome so far?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

boo_radley posted:

The Denver tickets for SP are turning out to be more expensive than I expected. Has the show been crazy awesome so far?

Djmrex is making me want to kill myself. Pray that the opening act is different during your part of the tour.

Edit: The show as solid, even though I'm not a fan of weapon. There was a good bit of back catalog sprinkled in the first part, and the second part was all Remission. It was the first time Smothered hope was played in new Orleans in over 20 years.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Feb 4, 2014

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Army of the Universe is worse!

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Okay, so I'm interested in Laibach, what album should I start with?

W424
Oct 21, 2010

SacrificialGoat posted:

I'd say WAT is pretty easy listening.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

SacrificialGoat posted:

Oh boy :neckbeard:

So many possible starting points. Depends on what you're interested in. My suggestions:

Nova Akropola is a fine introduction to the early, noisy and very industrial Laibach sound. Not a very accessible album if that doesn't sound like your thing. Maybe check out the title track, Vier Personen or Krvava Gruda.

Opus Dei continues more in the early sound's vein but is more accessible and a truly classic album. Probably the "definite" starting point for this band? Check out the title track, Geburt einer Nation or, like, Trans-National

Let It Be is simultaneously hilarious and brilliant. Easily the most bizarre Beatles covers you'll ever hear. Also includes more softer and beautiful moments than Opus Dei and more complex compositions and sounds. Great starting point if you dig Beatles and want to see what happens if they're pulled through the Laibach grinder. Get Back, Two of Us, Across the Universe (amaziiinngg) and Maggie Mae for shits and giggles.

I see Kapital as a more clear-cut "Laibach being Laibach" album as opposed to, say, Let It Be - abstracter, not as song-oriented and with a complex and even hypnotizing, very electronic sound with a huge amount of influences from all over the board (there's even a rap song in there). It's a great album but probably not the most accessible, would put it on par with the earlier material. Le Privilege des Morts and Wirtschaft ist Tot are some of the easier tracks here, but the album works best listened to in full.

WAT is actually where I started, and I think that while it's definitely not the best Laibach album, it's not too shabby a place to start with. The sound is minimal and aggressive in an early EBM kind of way, and there are some excellent tracks like Tanz mit Laibach, The Great Divide, Das Spiel ist aus or Du bist unser.

Volk is my favorite album of all loving time god drat it. It's beautiful and complex and forlorn and poignant (some say too poignant and clear in its message but gently caress 'em) and amazing and you should listen to Germania, America, Rossiya, Slovenia or Yisra'el or just about anything off the album apart from the last two tracks because they don't make much sense out of context.

NATO is considered a classic by many but I'm not entirely fond of it and wouldn't recommend it as a starting point. Some fantastic tracks there (Dogs of War, Alle gegen alle, War, In the Year 2525), but I just can't get past how awful Final Countdown is. Also, only start with Jesus Christ Superstars if you absolutely love metal or NDH or something. It's a cool album but not representative of the band at all.

An interesting way to start with would be the documentary/concert DVD Divided States of America. You'll get an interesting look at what people see Laibach as, as well as a nice selection of tracks (focus on the WAT era). Remember, Laibach is not just a band, but a musical/political/artistic statement in and of itself, so any interviews or articles or documentaries you read or watch will help you to create your own idea of what it is - not understand, because I'm not sure if anyone can truly understand it objectively.

e: I like laibach

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Feb 4, 2014

spider_ross.avi
Jan 15, 2008

nnGUH
Don't forget about this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ_gAShRSsk

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

I just can't get past how awful Final Countdown is.

:colbert: how can everything else in your post be right but this be so wrong?

(laibach is a desert island artist if there ever was one)

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Preview from the incoming Assemblage 23 album. Except it's not called Assemblage 23 and is a dystopian 1984-themed side project:

https://soundcloud.com/assemblage-23/sets/surveillance-assemblage-23

A lot of it is kind of meh and his stuff usually has to grow on me. But I really like the track "Eye to Eye." I bet it'd sound great live. Tom Shear is cool as hell and his live shows are so much fun.

Edit: Holy poo poo "Corridor." Wow.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 5, 2014

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

I started with WAT. Pretty good so far!

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Omi-Polari posted:

Preview from the incoming Assemblage 23 album. Except it's not called Assemblage 23 and is a dystopian 1984-themed side project:

https://soundcloud.com/assemblage-23/sets/surveillance-assemblage-23

A lot of it is kind of meh and his stuff usually has to grow on me. But I really like the track "Eye to Eye." I bet it'd sound great live. Tom Shear is cool as hell and his live shows are so much fun.

Edit: Holy poo poo "Corridor." Wow.

I think this is the thing that Tom Shear funded on Indiegogo or whatever it was?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I think this is the thing that Tom Shear funded on Indiegogo or whatever it was?
Yeah I think so.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

I unironically love this album. People hate on it but it's actually pretty good aside from the whole speaking part of Adam in Chains.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

I have this album and I love it. :colbert:

Oh, I was dicking around in my storage unit and I ran across my CD chests.

Here's something from an old RAS DVA compilation which was my go-to angry driving song for a while:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXpj5kigNww

e: holy poo poo, I have a lot of weird compilations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSK2HEWO7xE

boo_radley fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 10, 2014

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Skinny Puppy was superb

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

SacrificialGoat posted:

Skinny Puppy was superb

Unfortunately, it's looking like the show I am planning to go to will be canceled tomorrow due to snowpocalypse 2014. :(

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

SacrificialGoat posted:

Skinny Puppy was superb

What encores did you get?

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

SacrificialGoat posted:

Skinny Puppy was superb

Agreed. Saw them last night, and even though I don't know many of their songs that show ruled so hard because it was weird and made no sense. About the point where he started playing around with the knife while circuit boards flashed around in the background, I realized that this is probably what old people think every industrial show is like, and that owns.

The openers weren't terrible, just way too loving loud for my old rear end.

EDIT: They did not play "Assimilate".

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

ANAmal.net posted:

I realized that this is probably what old people think every industrial show is like, and that owns.
I don't really understand what you are trying to say here.

ANAmal.net posted:

EDIT: They did not play "Assimilate".

We got "Assimilate" and "Ashas" as encores. "Assimilate" is deadly live.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

Saw them in Charlotte, got a double encore with Assimilate being the final track. It was a fantastic show, although Army's of the Universe sucked something fierce.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

In Orlando we got Assimilate and Ashas as the first encore, and then Smothered Hope as the second encore. It was a hell of a show.

And yeah, Army of the Universe sure did show up, play some music for a while and then leave. That band is a tall glass of warm water.

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

hatelull posted:

What encores did you get?

We got Far Too Frail and another which I forgot

Konstruct posted:

Saw them in Charlotte, got a double encore with Assimilate being the final track. It was a fantastic show, although Army's of the Universe sucked something fierce.

Oh god, Army of the Universe's frontman looked like Ben Stiller, but with a wallet chain down to his knees. I like how he kept trying to get the audience to do this weird hand thing, and nobody was having any of it. And then he took off his shirt. Jesus.

SacrificialGoat fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Feb 13, 2014

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Anyone have thoughts on the new Seabound?

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
What would you say was the best/most memorable thing you guys have ever seen at an industrial show?

And also what was the worst?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

The Cleaner posted:

What would you say was the best/most memorable thing you guys have ever seen at an industrial show?

And also what was the worst?
Best? My best experiences were small, intimate gigs with great performers. Daniel Myer with Destroid in Austin on a weekday night. Most memorable thing is a girl shaking a string of garlic from the balcony at Chris Pohl of Blutengel during his show at Kinetik. He looked up and did this haughty "pah!" expression like her pathetic garlic couldn't harm his vampire powers. It was hilarious and perfectly in character.

Worst? Skinny Puppy in Houston. Androgynous goth boy in red leather pants gets called a human being. He blows up on the guy and hulks out, screams "I AIN'T NO FUCKIN' FAG." Ugh.