Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Kewpuh posted:

Check out this thing some crazy person said about the Wii U heh totally makes all Nintendo fans look like like dumbasses for not preferring superior company consoles welp see ya hope you enjoyed another lovely Fulchrum post

TO BE FAIR Nintendo fans are crazy and desperate but we don't like being told to our faces. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Spiffo posted:

The Xbox One isn't in nearly the same position as the Wii-U.

1. It's being advertised.
2. People want it.

AFAIK the PS4's taking a lot of Xbone sales (rightly so!) but Titanfall probably isn't a <insert-Wii-U-game-here> situation.

I still have serious doubts that after Titanfall's release we're going to see XBone sales start taking off again, I think most people that are excited enough about next-gen games you can also play on your 360 have probably already bought one for CoD and Battlefield, but I digress. I doubt any singular game is going to get people to start buying any console.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Louisgod posted:

TO BE FAIR Nintendo fans are crazy and desperate but we don't like being told to our faces. :smith:

We really are :cry:

I just like the idea of not having to buy any other systems and being able to play Mario and my big tough guy manly shooters or whatever from the same box rather than having to have sixteen different systems sitting around my TV set.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Louisgod posted:

I was like this when I was in high school when I had my gamecube. I was convinced that Nintendo could do no wrong.

Kabanaw posted:

I still have serious doubts that after Titanfall's release we're going to see XBone sales start taking off again, I think most people that are excited enough about next-gen games you can also play on your 360 have probably already bought one for CoD and Battlefield, but I digress. I doubt any singular game is going to get people to start buying any console.

Isn't Titanfall primarily multiplayer? That might limit its appeal a little bit.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Louisgod posted:

You might be right but on the flip side here is a Fulcrum post from the past:

"Well, I could point out you're comparing the peak results of the Dreamcasts established hardware versus the new hardware of the Ps2, but I was talking more in terms of gameplay. The Ps2 was when games made the true transition from an attempted emulation of the console experience to a more fully realised idea of console games as an experience meant not just to amuse, but to really sink ones teeth into. Lets compare the way the two consoles approached puzzle games. The Dreamcast gives us Chu Chu Rocket - colourful, simple, cartoony. Gaming equivalent of candy. The Ps2 gives us Ico. Artistic, hauntingly beautiful, impactful in the way no game before it could have been. Gamings ambrosia."

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Sorry I know it's not Wii U related but seriously look at that post

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Louisgod posted:

If I had the money to start a video game company (and still stuck to my original life goal at age 10 of going to DigiPen for college) I probably would be making Nintendo exclusive video games. I probably would have helped make something totally retro-inspired like Black Sigil and lived my life in scorn for creating such a buggy loving JRPG.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I think it's already determined that the relative rankings this gen are going to be PS4 first, Bone second, Wii U third. The only question is how big the gaps are. Like will the Bone be hot on the PS4's heels, or did Microsoft work hard enough to piss away the 360's good will to make sure it struggles (but not as much as the system nobody wants to put games on because it's underpowered and has a vastly different architecture)?

I think Titanfall is going to cause a bump in Bone sales, but not enough to push it past the PS4. If it were COD with mechs, maybe, but it's COD with mechs that only has 6v6. And is made by EA so expect plenty of pay2win bullshit.

Actually talking about the Wii U and games for it, though, I hope Ubisoft doesn't cancel the Wii U version of Watch_Dogs. That's the one I wanted because integrating the tablet seems really cool, but if they do shitcan it, at least I have a PS4 to play it on. I'd get it on PC but uPlay can gently caress right off.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Kewpuh posted:

Can you tell me what it says? I've read every single word but have no idea what the gently caress it means.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

Can you tell me what it says? I've read every single word but have no idea what the gently caress it means.

Sure. You see, what he is saying is that the Ps2 gives us Ico. Artistic, hauntingly beautiful, impactful in the way no game before it could have been. Gamings ambrosia.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
When I describe something as haunting I make sure I publish it and then live in utter depression that my current level of writing is still stuck in "thinks the word haunting is a powerful description"

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Kewpuh posted:

Sure. You see, what he is saying is that the Ps2 gives us Ico. Artistic, hauntingly beautiful, impactful in the way no game before it could have been. Gamings ambrosia.

Would you say its the Citizen Kane of Adventure Gaming?

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

I'm still trying to figure out why Zombi U failed as badly as it did. I mean, it's a pretty drat good game. My first impression of it was total poo poo but once I forced myself to sit down and play it, I was hooked.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Kewpuh posted:

It's Really Bad

Kewpuh posted:

I'm still trying to figure out why Zombi U failed as badly as it did. I mean, it's a pretty drat good game. My first impression of it was total poo poo but once I forced myself to sit down and play it, I was hooked.

Mediocre reviews from people that didn't know what kind of game it was trying to be, $60 price tag, lackluster WiiU launch, saturated zombie genre.. lots of reasons probably.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Kewpuh posted:

And here I thought Mountain Dew was Gaming Ambrosia. I suppose Ico did make the world more depressing after I played it, because come on. That sunset is okay and all, but have you seen Ico?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Kewpuh posted:

Isn't that the game where most of it consists of bashing things in the head with a cricket bat? That would be the first game I get on Wii U because it seems unique enough, but I wouldn't exactly call that riveting gameplay to most people.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Kewpuh posted:

I'm pretty sure that most people's first impression of Zombi U was, that it was poo poo. The name is strange and some people might just remember Red Steel.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

You know I really want to play Bayonetta 2 and Smash Bros and I have to keep reading this and similar threads to remind myself i should not buy a Wii U

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Kewpuh posted:

A lot of reviews really put it over as being "too hard" which I think kept some people away from playing it. While a unique concept of getting killed and losing all your gear, it sucks for gamers that are use to frequent checkpoints and not dealing with taking risks in gaming.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

You know I really want to play Bayonetta 2 and Smash Bros and I have to keep reading this and similar threads to remind myself i should not buy a Wii U

I turned on my Wii U last night to check something on Youtube without having to get out of my bed. For the past 2 months maybe that's what I've used it for. I'll get to play Tropical Freeze in a little over a week and beat the poo poo out of it and then it'll go back to lazy person bi monthly Youtube player

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

You should totally buy a Wii U - when those games come out. It's just not a great library at the moment.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Same here, but luckily Nintendo's helping us out by not releasing them anytime soon.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

The worst part of it all is that I buy every Nintendo console specifically for a Metroid game and we're probably not going to get one for the Wii U

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Kewpuh posted:

I turned on my Wii U last night to check something on Youtube without having to get out of my bed. For the past 2 months maybe that's what I've used it for. I'll get to play Tropical Freeze in a little over a week and beat the poo poo out of it and then it'll go back to lazy person bi monthly Youtube player

Hey can you sell it to me when you're done? Seems like a game where you play it once and you're done.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Kewpuh posted:

So basically an iPad with a limited range?

StevenM posted:

You should totally buy a Wii U - when those games come out. It's just not a great library at the moment.

I'm hoping someone I know buys smash first since it's not like I would play the game alone anyway. But everyone I know hates the Wii U

Kewpuh posted:

The worst part of it all is that I buy every Nintendo console specifically for a Metroid game and we're probably not going to get one for the Wii U

Honestly after the last one I don't think you want one

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Louisgod posted:

Hey can you sell it to me when you're done? Seems like a game where you play it once and you're done.

I would except I'm some kind of weirdo video game hoarder. I seriously just can't part with things for some odd reason. It also goes both ways, as in I can't buy used video game poo poo either. Like in a bin next to my computer I have like 6 Gamecube Wavebird controllers and I think to myself "these might be worth something" and then I put the lid back on the bin and forget about them.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Louisgod posted:

lots of reasons probably.
I'd say terrible name and poor marketing were the primary ones.

You know I really want to play Bayonetta 2
I bought Bayonetta on the 360 on release and wouldn't buy a console for the sequel. I do wonder how many people posting excitedly about it actually owned the first one, since it sold like poo poo and the PS3 port was a mess.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kewpuh posted:

I have like 6 Gamecube Wavebird controllers and I think to myself "these might be worth something" and then I put the lid back on the bin and forget about them.

That's going to be like 5 bucks at gamestop bud

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Asema posted:

That's going to be like 5 bucks at gamestop bud

Really? Wavebirds go for a pretty solid penny on eBay, at least the last time I checked.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Edmund Honda posted:

I'd say terrible name and poor marketing were the primary ones.

I bought Bayonetta on the 360 on release and wouldn't buy a console for the sequel. I do wonder how many people posting excitedly about it actually owned the first one, since it sold like poo poo and the PS3 port was a mess.

I owned and loved bayo1, gently caress I paid $90 to import it since the Japanese version which came out 4 or so months before the US one had full English options. I'm really into Platinum stuff though, but not enough to pay $360 for game and console.

Also I'm not sure why but I fully expect the sequel to be worse

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

Kewpuh posted:

I have like 6 Gamecube Wavebird controllers and I think to myself "these might be worth something" and then I put the lid back on the bin and forget about them.

Hah, you could sell me one; my Wavebird's starting to show its age after like 15 years of heavy use. Durable little bastards.

That's why Nintendo shouldn't stop making hardware; they're drat good at making durable systems. Other than the disc drive dying on the Wii and having it fixed for free from Nintendo, my launch-ERA Wii still runs fine

CraigK fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 12, 2014

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Really? Wavebirds go for a pretty solid penny on eBay, at least the last time I checked.

Ones in good shape seem to be available to Buy It Now for $20-$30, generally, at least from a quick glance.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

There is a joke here that I think was missed or I'm bad at being a joke teller

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Kewpuh posted:

I would except I'm some kind of weirdo video game hoarder. I seriously just can't part with things for some odd reason. It also goes both ways, as in I can't buy used video game poo poo either. Like in a bin next to my computer I have like 6 Gamecube Wavebird controllers and I think to myself "these might be worth something" and then I put the lid back on the bin and forget about them.

I hate you.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Kewpuh posted:

Throw them at things and/or people. Buy a dartboard and throw them at that.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Kewpuh posted:

Retro is probably going to make the next one but who knows when that will be. 2015? 2016? The next console? They'd have to design a new engine unless they repurposed the Donkey Kong Country Returns engine and made a sidescrolling Metroid.

Nintendo's main priority this year is turning a profit though so I really can't imagine they have much of their internal resources dedicated to games beyond this year. They're probably staring at the calendar right now and hoping that they don't have to delay Mario Kart again.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Quest For Glory II posted:

Retro is probably going to make the next one but who knows when that will be. 2015? 2016? The next console? They'd have to design a new engine unless they repurposed the Donkey Kong Country Returns engine and made a sidescrolling Metroid.

Hell yes do it- highly expansive 2D Metroid game. No it probably won't sell all that well but :getin:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Quest For Glory II posted:

Hmm, is the well completely poisoned on metroid in japan? If 2d mario games do a lot better there, why not 2d metroid games? I guess the handheld games would be a decent predictor of this, and I don't have data there. I am sad that this is treated as somewhat of a not-serious option by default since super metroid is really awesome.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Asema posted:

There is a joke here that I think was missed or I'm bad at being a joke teller

I'm missing everything today aside from Ico's hauntingly ambrosia so don't take it personal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jeffrey posted:

Hmm, is the well completely poisoned on metroid in japan? If 2d mario games do a lot better there, why not 2d metroid games? I guess the handheld games would be a decent predictor of this, and I don't have data there. I am sad that this is treated as somewhat of a not-serious option by default since super metroid is really awesome.

Metroid sold better in the US and never sold super well. Other: M poisoned the well in America and did nothing to bolster Japanese sales so that franchise is dead, dead, dead.

• Locked thread