Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

rypakal posted:

Why do people keep saying "if". Robert Kirkman has already said of course she's coming back.

Then again, Robert Kirkman is a known liar. So I guess still speculate?

I think he meant 'if she reappears on the show (in the next episode)'. I don't think anyone actually thinks she's gone forever. Or at least they shouldn't because come on, it's TWD. The ability to give characters graceful exists isn't exactly the show's strongest point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Carol as villain would be neat. That would be quite an arc for her.

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010

zVxTeflon posted:

That doesn't really look like SWC though and Rick looks way too young.

Yeah I dunno, I was looking at the picture on my phone and couldn't make out the face of the woman, I just kinda assumed it was Lori and figured they were doing the "it's a flashback so we'll give her a different haircut" thing.

OhHiMaahk
Jan 8, 2014
It does seem obvious that Carol is coming back. I'm just worried that it will result in a Daryl-Carol-Beth love triangle.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I hope that's the last of the episodes centered around child actors because I hate them all, in everything ever.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

THE PWNER posted:

I hope that's the last of the episodes centered around child actors because I hate them all, in everything ever.

I so agree. Carl is especially annoying.

Even more annoying when his voice dubbing seems to be so much worse than anyone else on the show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

OhHiMaahk posted:

It does seem obvious that Carol is coming back. I'm just worried that it will result in a Daryl-Carol-Beth love triangle.

Norman Reedus is 46 and Beth is 18, I think it's more likely it's Daryl's turn to be someone's "big brother". Carol/Daryl do need to just get together already though.

Tin Miss
Apr 8, 2009

Meow
Scott Wilson's name in the opening credits still :(

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Tin Miss posted:

Technically he was in the episode, as was David Morrissey :v:

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

precision posted:

Norman Reedus is 46 and Beth is 18, I think it's more likely it's Daryl's turn to be someone's "big brother". Carol/Daryl do need to just get together already though.

Emily Kinney, who plays Beth, is actually 28, they've never said how old Daryl is and Norman can pass for much younger. It isn't something I want but it's also not out of the realm of possibility.

Tin Miss posted:

He and The Guv were listed because they both appeared in the episode...in their own ways.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Stairs posted:

Emily Kinney, who plays Beth, is actually 28, they've never said how old Daryl is and Norman can pass for much younger. It isn't something I want but it's also not out of the realm of possibility.

He and The Guv were listed because they both appeared in the episode...in their own ways.

He and the Guv were listed because they are series regulars and do we need to have this discussion every season?

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Stairs posted:

Which is interesting because I think a Daryl\Carol thing shouldn't happen because she is so much older. She comes across more as a mother figure for him, not really a love interest.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

xxEightxx posted:

Which is interesting because I think a Daryl\Carol thing shouldn't happen because she is so much older. She comes across more as a mother figure for him, not really a love interest.

Everyone says that but Carol doesn't look old to me at all. She has grey hair, yes, but I've had grey hair since I was 16. Part of me wants them together because they're adorable but the other part doesn't because it would ruin their friendship and possibly Daryl's attitudes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Stairs posted:

Everyone says that but Carol doesn't look old to me at all. She has grey hair, yes, but I've had grey hair since I was 16. Part of me wants them together because they're adorable but the other part doesn't because it would ruin their friendship and possibly Daryl's attitudes.

Yeah I've never gotten the "Carol is so oooooooold" thing. She looks younger than many women I know who aren't even 40 yet.

But holy crap I had no idea Beth's actress was a decade older than her character.

I know everyone says Norman Reedus looks much younger than he is, which is true, but considering Merle's apparent age (50-ish) I've always assumed Daryl is around 40-ish.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

precision posted:

Yeah I've never gotten the "Carol is so oooooooold" thing. She looks younger than many women I know who aren't even 40 yet.

it's also her haircut making her look older. People see short grey hair and instantly think of Jamie Lee Curtis and old people poop yogurt. If she had a dye job and longer hair she wouldn't look any older than Lori or Andrea, who's actresses are similar to her in actual age. The woman doesn't even have wrinkles!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Did Rick ever tell Daryl about Carol yet? I legit can't remember with these loving mid season breaks.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

zVxTeflon posted:

Did Rick ever tell Daryl about Carol yet? I legit can't remember with these loving mid season breaks.

Yes. They were going to tell Tyrese together and then they got tanked.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Surlaw posted:

Yes. They were going to tell Tyrese together and then they got tanked.

Took me a minute of thinking how hypocritical it is of Daryl to get drunk with Rick after being so against drunk medic man (Bob?). Before I realised I'm an idiot.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Spiteski posted:

Took me a minute of thinking how hypocritical it is of Daryl to get drunk with Rick after being so against drunk medic man (Bob?). Before I realised I'm an idiot.

I don't think Daryl was angry about the drinking. It was about Bob only looking out for himself in a community that looks out for each other. And also the fact that he killed Beth's boyfriend because he was obsessed with getting alcohol for himself, and doing the same poo poo again at the pharmacy. Bob's an rear end in a top hat.

Edit: Also, apparently Michonne's zombie was one of the governer's men.

Ravane fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Feb 13, 2014

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There's a chance he's drinking to supress his psycho-killer urges, which almost makes him the opposite of an rear end in a top hat.

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online
I guess I'm in the minority here but I really liked the first season cause at least they tried to explain some of the nuances of the walkers and outbreak, like in TS-19. :shrug:

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Ravane posted:

I don't think Daryl was angry about the drinking. It was about Bob only looking out for himself in a community that looks out for each other. And also the fact that he killed Beth's boyfriend because he was obsessed with getting alcohol for himself, and doing the same poo poo again at the pharmacy. Bob's an rear end in a top hat.

Edit: Also, apparently Michonne's zombie was one of the governer's men.

In the talking dead interview didn't she say they both were?

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

Grin and Tonic posted:

I guess I'm in the minority here but I really liked the first season cause at least they tried to explain some of the nuances of the walkers and outbreak, like in TS-19. :shrug:

Its a taste thing but I don't like that poo poo at ALL.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Grin and Tonic posted:

The Walkers are essentially magic. There's not really anything you can do with the virus that wouldn't be incredibly dumb other than the basic "if you die, you come back" stuff.

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online

Mexcillent posted:

Its a taste thing but I don't like that poo poo at ALL.

Oh yeah understandable! I'm just into the "science" of fictional poo poo ha

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010
I don't know if it's just in this thread or if it's everywhere, but the thing where people think Bob might be a serial killer is really loving weird. There's been literally nothing to indicate he's anything more than an alcoholic and it's surprising to me how often people post speculation about how he's going to secretly just up and kill some people.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Because they act like they want us to guess who it is and he is like the only other named not-main character.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

I didn't mind !CORLE! getting himself in a few lovely situations, and I thought the "got my shoe but didn't get me" scene was pretty awesome because it really showed how he has grown up in that hosed up world and it has become almost normal for him. But what I absolutely couldn't stand was him "venting" at his dad -- it was just the absolute worst acting. Like, he was yelling and trying to seem mad but his face was completely neutral.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Buddington posted:

I don't know if it's just in this thread or if it's everywhere, but the thing where people think Bob might be a serial killer is really loving weird. There's been literally nothing to indicate he's anything more than an alcoholic and it's surprising to me how often people post speculation about how he's going to secretly just up and kill some people.

I'm not really seeing it either but I guess ppl got the idea from when head said he was traveling with two other groups and hot weird when asked about it, saying that the people died one by one idk

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Crankit posted:

In the talking dead interview didn't she say they both were?

Yes.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Buddington posted:

Well the show does have a history of not really keeping two black male characters around for very long...

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

socialsecurity posted:

Because they act like they want us to guess who it is and he is like the only other named not-main character.

Are you counting Tyreese and co because they're not really main characters either, they just didn't die at the end of the last season.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

computer parts posted:

Are you counting Tyreese and co because they're not really main characters either, they just didn't die at the end of the last season.

Tyreese found the rat and his sister was sick the whole time and they very much are more main characterish then Bob.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
I really hope Tyrese sticks around for a good, long while. I'll be super pissed if they kill him any time soon.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Grin and Tonic posted:

I liked that as well and am curious why everyone hates it so much. Probably to keep with Zombie Genre Themes and not explain anything?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Apoplexy posted:

I liked that as well and am curious why everyone hates it so much. Probably to keep with Zombie Genre Themes and not explain anything?

Because the answer doesn't make any sense. "Explaining" zombies only works if it is something that actually makes sense in universe. 28 days later had a pretty decent explanation, but that required making the zombies not-zombies.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oykvs8ePij8

That's the only explanation I've ever needed, and I just apply it to any other zombie stories that have no cause.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Apoplexy posted:

There's two reasons:

The first reason is that the zombie plague makes no sense. There's basically no way that in real life you would get a virus which would not only animate people, but make them impervious to harm aside from being shot in the head. People still need to eat, to breathe, and they can bleed out. Just from the start you're already in fantasy land.

The second reason is that once you find out the mythos, what do you do with it? Assuming you don't just want pointless exposition, the reasons you would find out the origins of the virus are either to determine who started it, or to determine how to cure it.

Who started it is not really that important, and leads to dumb bullshit like in the [REC] series where it's a voodoo cult that started the infection. Curing it is also does not fit the theme of the story (life goes on, death is certain, etc) and they already tried that arc in Season One.

So basically either you leave it as a mystical unknown, or by revealing it you show that it's still mystical, just dumb.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It's not a documentary. How does the ghost in Hamlet work? It makes no sense. Horrible play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online

computer parts posted:

So basically either you leave it as a mystical unknown, or by revealing it you show that it's still mystical, just dumb.

I'm not so concerned with the WHY of a zombie plague, but I enjoy the HOW of one, for instance like in Romero's Day of the Dead and the infinitely entertaining Return of the living Dead. Scenes of scientists studying weird monsters and stuff is just cool to me, I don't actually care about real life, but it's fun in the world of the film, tv show, comic book, etc. I don't mean to say there has to be a definitive answer but I know I'd personally be curious, which is why characters like the doctor in TS-19 and Milton in season 3 were interesting to me. Milton's studying of whether zombies retain any memory was really interesting and could have been cool but TWD did gently caress all with it (and hasn't there been instances of zombies sort of returning to places they frequented alive, like Morgan's wife?), but it's a slippery slope. Handled well there could be a lot of possibilities with that, but I could understand the writers not wanting to open up that loving pandora's box and having people question fictional monsters motives and all that even more than they do now, so gently caress it let's kill some zombies.

edit: just to be clear, I'm NOT saying I want a plausible explanation for zombies in The Walking Dead.

Grin and Tonic fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 13, 2014

• Locked thread