Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Doltos posted:

Not everyone is as hung up on being 100% PC as internet forums are ~~~

Not saying that beating your wife is ok or if it makes you a good football player. That's obviously tongue in cheek. I'm just saying the average guy jokes about things that are TOTALLY ABHORRENT all the time. You and your friends might not, but there are plenty of people out there that do.

Average guy joking around sure sounds different from "legitimately talk about if smoking weed or beating your wife makes you a better player"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Nobody thinks smoking weed makes you a better player. People say "draft the weed player" because it makes day one guys drop to day three so you get good value

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Goetta posted:

No, I'm going to guess that scouts don't secretly talk about how beating up women makes you good at football

Has it ever happened...ever? Probably. Is it widespread today? Probably not. Is anyone who seriously argues it a shitpail? Definitely.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

bhsman posted:

Has it ever happened...ever? Probably. Is it widespread today? Probably not. Is anyone who seriously argues it a shitpail? Definitely.

I'm sure it happened back when football scouting was primarily 'that guy is big and tough and mean!', which probably overlapped with the era where any good wife was expected to eat a few punches without telling anyone.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Goetta posted:

Average guy joking around sure sounds different from "legitimately talk about if smoking weed or beating your wife makes you a better player"

Nah it's more that the red flags that cause players to drop sometimes don't have that much bearing on how talented they are on the field and that you should probably target more than a few of those guys if they drop to you late rather then going with well behaved players that are inferior athletically.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

AAA DOLFAN posted:

It's entirely tongue in cheek you loving baby so lol

Edit : And just because you aren't aware of something or haven't heard of something doesn't really mean anything, sport. A simple google search would show you articles from 2011 where Wake is called kraken. It got brought up in a pre game thing before Miami played Carolina.

I'm pretty sure fiz and I talked about it back when it was new. I remember Carolina fans coming into a dolphins forum making pretty good jokes like "when Greg hardy's kraken farts it creates a Wake" and stuff like that. It's a fun little thing.

But again lol

sorry I was pissed off at something else last night and made a dumb post without thinking about it

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Doltos posted:

Nah it's more that the red flags that cause players to drop sometimes don't have that much bearing on how talented they are on the field and that you should probably target more than a few of those guys if they drop to you late rather then going with well behaved players that are inferior athletically.

That doesn't mesh with the post you made which kicked this conversation off.

Doltos posted:

It's terrible to say but the wife beaters also tend to be really great players. I mean look at Lance Stephenson on the Pacers right now. Jason Kidd as well. Then we can go into baseball's wife beaters...

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Chichevache posted:

That doesn't mesh with the post you made which kicked this conversation off.

Hmm? Yes it does. I said wife beaters tend to be good players in reference to weed smokers which was in reference to finding players deep in the draft that dropped due to red flags which really kicked this conversation off. I didn't say they were good because they beat their wives which seems like an outrageous statement to make since that's not a statistically measured category in the game of football.

My dad used to toss my mom around a few times before their divorce so from a personal standpoint I hate guys that lay the wood on their wives, I'm just able to joke about it without the world ending around me.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Doltos posted:

Hmm? Yes it does. I said wife beaters tend to be good players in reference to weed smokers which was in reference to finding players deep in the draft that dropped due to red flags which really kicked this conversation off. I didn't say they were good because they beat their wives which seems like an outrageous statement to make since that's not a statistically measured category in the game of football.

My dad used to toss my mom around a few times before their divorce so from a personal standpoint I hate guys that lay the wood on their wives, I'm just able to joke about it without the world ending around me.

You said wife beaters tend to be good players. Not wife beaters drop I'm the draft and then tend to be good value for their production based on draft position. The first implies that there is some correlation between wife beating and football skills.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Chichevache posted:

You said wife beaters tend to be good players. Not wife beaters drop I'm the draft and then tend to be good value for their production based on draft position. The first implies that there is some correlation between wife beating and football skills.

I think you're getting too hung up on word choice.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Chichevache posted:

Context my main man. It was in reference to a post that was quoting my original post about drafting players who dropped in the draft for red flag reasons.

And again, this is all as serious as my name's dictate how good a player will be argument.

SpclKen
Mar 13, 2006
New Goon... go easy

Doltos posted:

This is exactly what I was saying with Sam. A team is going to want a guy in late rounds that has the body and build to be a higher producing guy, but has red flags. They don't want a polished player that is limited by size or athleticism.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

SpclKen posted:

This is exactly what I was saying with Sam. A team is going to want a guy in late rounds that has the body and build to be a higher producing guy, but has red flags. They don't want a polished player that is limited by size or athleticism.

Some will, some won't. The third day is a complete crap shoot that you can't predict anyway. Guys I never heard of that weren't on anyones radars, didn't attend any bowl games, and didn't go to the combine get picked up from D3 schools in the last couple of rounds.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
Draft the dudes who say Hitler had some good ideas.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Drafting the people who slip because of abuse allegations can be a good idea. An example of this can be found in the case of #2 overall pick Jason Kidd.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Parmesan Basil posted:

Draft the dudes who say Hitler had some good ideas.

I wonder how close to the line someone would have to get before football fans would be like "Oh no we can't have that dude"

Is it "Well we still drive Volkswagens!" or is it "I mean, has anyone looked into why there are still so many Jew bankers?"

SpclKen
Mar 13, 2006
New Goon... go easy

Doltos posted:

Some will, some won't. The third day is a complete crap shoot that you can't predict anyway. Guys I never heard of that weren't on anyones radars, didn't attend any bowl games, and didn't go to the combine get picked up from D3 schools in the last couple of rounds.

Very true, speaking if DII and DIII prospects, who is going to the combine? The panthers seem to draft a DII prospect the last couple drafts and I wanted to take a look at a couple.

The only one I have heard of is a center from Grand Valley State named Matt Armstrong.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

SpclKen posted:

Very true, speaking if DII and DIII prospects, who is going to the combine? The panthers seem to draft a DII prospect the last couple drafts and I wanted to take a look at a couple.

The only one I have heard of is a center from Grand Valley State named Matt Armstrong.

You can sort by conference at the NFL site to see them all

http://www.nfl.com/combine/participants

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Declan MacManus posted:

I wonder how close to the line someone would have to get before football fans would be like "Oh no we can't have that dude"

Is it "Well we still drive Volkswagens!" or is it "I mean, has anyone looked into why there are still so many Jew bankers?"

Jadevon Clowney could go on national television and expound the virtues of being a furry and I still would only let him drop til the second round before I thought about scooping him

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Goetta you must be a real blast at parties man

And alouicious no worries we all have that happen. Hope whatever it was is cool now

SpclKen
Mar 13, 2006
New Goon... go easy

Goetta posted:

You can sort by conference at the NFL site to see them all

[url]http://www.nfl.com/combine/participants[/

That's last years link, but thanks.

SpclKen fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 12, 2014

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

SpclKen posted:

That's last years link, but thanks.

Oh whoops, I assumed they would have updated it by now considering it is like a week or so away

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

I'm really struggling to give Parcells too much credit for 1) Having Chad Pennington fall into his lap 2) having Lee bring in the wildcat that happened to work using players that he inherited.

Minus Anthony Fasano and Jake Long, I guess. Parcells alone wanted Pat loving White. He admitted as such. He is WAY too outdated, and refused to change.

I don't think you have to give him credit for those things. Without Pennington that team would have been mediocre, but that's a huge loving improvement. I don't think the Wildcat factors into it at all. Even in that first New England game its impact is wildly overrated.

There's a lot of little stuff that Parcells and Co. did that turned that team around.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Goetta you must be a real blast at parties man

And alouicious no worries we all have that happen. Hope whatever it was is cool now

Yeah everything good now, sorry I lost it on ya :buddy:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Doltos posted:

Jadevon Clowney could go on national television and expound the virtues of being a furry and I still would only let him drop til the second round before I thought about scooping him

I'd draft him first overall and require him to repeat portions of the speech to whichever offensive lineman he lines up against for the psychological factor.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I don't think you have to give him credit for those things. Without Pennington that team would have been mediocre, but that's a huge loving improvement. I don't think the Wildcat factors into it at all. Even in that first New England game its impact is wildly overrated.

There's a lot of little stuff that Parcells and Co. did that turned that team around.

You're saying the wild cat overall had very little to do with 2008s success?

2007 team was a much better team than 1-15. They lost how many games by a margin of 3? Variance alone would have the 2008 team as mediocre. I really, really think you're overinflating their influence. You've dismissed the wild cat and you've dismissed Pennington, the two things i would actually say contributed to the 2008 season the most... So I'm really not sure what else there is.

Anthony fasano jake long and a stop gap backup linebacker are all that is left!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

bhsman posted:

I'd draft him first overall and require him to repeat portions of the speech to whichever offensive lineman he lines up against for the psychological factor.

Speaking of Clowney the more I watch his highlights the more I take back me saying he wasn't a generational prospect earlier in the thread. This dude is loving phenomenal.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

He's cool and the Jaguars will love him.

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles

Declan MacManus posted:

Technically they weren't married and the Arizona press did everything they could to bury it and never speak about it again because he's such a nice guy

He must be a Republican.

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to

Toymachine posted:

He must be a Republican.

I don't see what hating the Queen has to do with this.

Fussy Dutchman
Jul 29, 2008
So who's gonna draft Louis Nix? He's easily my favorite ND player of Kelly's time. It's nuts how quick he is for being like 330.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Fussy Dutchman posted:

So who's gonna draft Louis Nix? He's easily my favorite ND player of Kelly's time. It's nuts how quick he is for being like 330.

If he ends up falling to #33, Houston could potentially have a three-man front that is just Clowney, Nix, and Watt. :stonklol:

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe

Fussy Dutchman posted:

Packers definitely might if they let Raji walk (they will)

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

bhsman posted:

If he ends up falling to #33, Houston could potentially have a three-man front that is just Clowney, Nix, and Watt. :stonklol:

Not gonna happen but I need to go clean up thinking about it.

Wasn't Brett Smith supposed to be one of the good late Quaterbacks? Is there a reason he wasn't invited to the Combine?

defiantgiant
Oct 17, 2004

YOU ARE RIDICULOUS now please stop running backward all the time kthx
I would love to see Chicago pick Nix up, just so they can finally stop the run. Mel Tucker's used a lot of big interior d-linemen before, so it's not like it would be unprecedented. Whatever they can do to stop allowing 6 yards a carry straight up the middle...

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Fussy Dutchman posted:

If all the good CBs are nabbed before the Bengals pick, I could see them grabbing him.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Though thinking on it more for the Texans. Taking Clowney in the first, RaShede Hageman in the second and Mettenberger in the third or forth sounds really, really sexy.

smuggler
Apr 23, 2007
INSULTING THE PACKERS IS NOT AGAINST FORUM RULES, MORON

If Hageman has the combine that people are expecting him to, he probably won't make it out of the first round.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
No gently caress you all, first four picks will all be QB's and Clowney will slide to the Raiders at 5, so it is written.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

defiantgiant
Oct 17, 2004

YOU ARE RIDICULOUS now please stop running backward all the time kthx

smuggler posted:

If Hageman has the combine that people are expecting him to, he probably won't make it out of the first round.

Yeah, I've seen people say that he can run in the 4.7s - that's insanely athletic for a 318-pound DT.

EDIT: and apparently he's clocked a 1.57 (electronic) 10-yard split. That's .01 faster than Clay Matthews did at the Combine.

defiantgiant fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Feb 13, 2014

• Locked thread