Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoinker
Jan 18, 2009
Hindus picking their a patron god seems like a neat idea, but I hope they also implement this for some of the existing polytheistic religions as well. If I remember my history correctly, many norse pagans tended to have a god they favoured above others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Having fewer vassals to mollycoddle wasn't actually something I'd considered before. I suppose it beats having to shower gold at twenty different dukes every time the Emperor kicks the bucket.

Do king vassals desire the imperial title the same way dukes desire the kingdom?

I'll have to experiment with this. I have a Scandinavia blob and I'm loathe to turn England into a whole vassal kingdom but Wales, Scotland, perhaps...

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Antti posted:

Having fewer vassals to mollycoddle wasn't actually something I'd considered before. I suppose it beats having to shower gold at twenty different dukes every time the Emperor kicks the bucket.

Do king vassals desire the imperial title the same way dukes desire the kingdom?

I'll have to experiment with this. I have a Scandinavia blob and I'm loathe to turn England into a whole vassal kingdom but Wales, Scotland, perhaps...

They don't. Well, in a way all non-content vassals always want their liege's title, but they won't get an opinion penalty like duke's desiring your kingdom do.

And you are right, it is much safer to turn over small kingdoms to the AI, if you own Scandinavia and Britannia, then Denmark, Finland, Scotland, Ireland and Wales are safe to give out, but I would keep/destroy Norway/Sweden/England.

rvm
May 6, 2013

Antti posted:

No. Kings can only desire their dejure duchies as far as I'm aware.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Zoinker posted:

Hindus picking their a patron god seems like a neat idea, but I hope they also implement this for some of the existing polytheistic religions as well. If I remember my history correctly, many norse pagans tended to have a god they favoured above others.

I'm looking forward to a mod which lets schizophrenic and lunatic hellenic pagans become Discordians.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Ok, so starting as Amalfi in 867, I'm trying to take over Byzantium from within and eventually form the Roman Republic. The only trouble is I can't figure out how to get a Byzantine princess in my court and nor will the basileus accept my proposal even though I am the King Doge of Sicily. Has this method been patched out or is there another obvious method that I'm missing?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Ok, so starting as Amalfi in 867, I'm trying to take over Byzantium from within and eventually form the Roman Republic. The only trouble is I can't figure out how to get a Byzantine princess in my court and nor will the basileus accept my proposal even though I am the King Doge of Sicily. Has this method been patched out or is there another obvious method that I'm missing?

Be a bit more subtle and try to marry a more distant relative who still has an inheritable claim. It is always a huge prestige loss for emperors to marry their daughters to patricians, so they are rather reluctant to do that. Marry the daughter of his brother to your son or something like that.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Torrannor posted:

Be a bit more subtle and try to marry a more distant relative who still has an inheritable claim. It is always a huge prestige loss for emperors to marry their daughters to patricians, so they are rather reluctant to do that. Marry the daughter of his brother to your son or something like that.

I'm a freaking moron.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

200 years of losing holy wars does hilarious things to a religion.

Catholicism isn't doing much better, there was a powerful French king who went Cathar and until he died I kept getting messages about him forcing his vassals/allies/everyone else to convert to the heresy. It was hilarious watching him blow up the unity of Europe from within.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
If Jainism lets me build things in my vassal's provinces then I'm gonna Jain all the time.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
It's my understanding that CK2+ got weird and not so good once it was passed on to people other than Wiz. Can anyone recommend what version I should be using if I don't want a hundred extra provinces and nonfunctional mechanics, or is 2.06.3 pretty much good?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Kellsterik posted:

It's my understanding that CK2+ got weird and not so good once it was passed on to people other than Wiz. Can anyone recommend what version I should be using if I don't want a hundred extra provinces and nonfunctional mechanics, or is 2.06.3 pretty much good?

I couldn't get 2.06.3 to work on my installation. Crashed at one loading or another. Next game I start will be without CK2+ at all, and after that I'll see if I can get 2.06.3 to work, but I doubt it.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Thanks for the info on king vassals. I'll keep Ireland since my demesne is there, and give the other ones out on a case by case basis.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Nosre posted:

200 years of losing holy wars does hilarious things to a religion.

Catholicism isn't doing much better, there was a powerful French king who went Cathar and until he died I kept getting messages about him forcing his vassals/allies/everyone else to convert to the heresy. It was hilarious watching him blow up the unity of Europe from within.

Catholicism nearly extinguished! Unfortunately, a Catholic line managed to take the throne in Byzantium, so there's a bit of a resurgence going on.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Kellsterik posted:

I've played plenty of CK2 and mostly with CK2+ attached. Looks like it's at 2.07 now (as of 12 hours ago I guess?). Once I fixed the provinces and titles being in moonspeak to something I can understand, still more or less the same except Iceland has more provinces and there's some islands in the Med that I didn't even realize were on the map because they're so loving tiny. Not really a big deal. I think the only thing that might actually annoy people would be that women can't do anything, but it messed with the AI so not a big deal I figure.

Unrelated note but I said before that my merchant republic game has felt a bit easy, but literally the extra bonus to retinue and vassals not picking fights with you makes it so easy. Don't think I'll be doing another republic game for a while unless I really feel like steamrolling the world.

Zoinker
Jan 18, 2009
Is the Cardinal recruitment AI deliberately coded to screw you over? I've lost count how much money I've wasted on the campaign fund, only for my opponents to raise theirs a split-second before the next cardinal is selected! :argh:

Zoinker fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 12, 2014

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Raserys posted:

Does a save validator exist? I just tried to load a game I've been playing for about a week without making any changes, and was greeted with this:

:cripes:

Saves for the past 40 years don't work, there's not much reason to expect anything else. For some inexplicable reason, the northwest corner of the map loads cultures and religion, but nothing else. Can I find out through the mod validator?

Check to see if you have autosave to cloud turned on, I had that on and couldn't find my autosaves on the directory, but you can load them from the cloud.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Zoinker posted:

Is the Cardinal recruitment AI deliberately coded to screw you over? I've lost count how much money I've wasted on the campaign fund, only for my opponents to raise their's a split-second before the next cardinal is selected! :argh:

Catholic priests are rolling in the dough. If you ever look at the papacy late game (or one of the many, many,many holy orders mid-game) you'll notice that the pope is bathing in money, and so are the liege lords of the priets who pay the pope their taxes. Basically, my advice is to dump absurd amounts of money into the pool of your candidate.

OR, in a far more direct route, make an antipope and then put him in Rome. That will save you a ton of money.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Zoinker posted:

Is the Cardinal recruitment AI deliberately coded to screw you over? I've lost count how much money I've wasted on the campaign fund, only for my opponents to raise theirs a split-second before the next cardinal is selected! :argh:

It's not the AI - IIRC, as part of the election process, the game gives a bonus of up to 500 gold to a random candidate before making the pick, so you have to outspend your opponents by a pretty good margin if you want to be absolutely positive that the Papacy will be yours.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
So I pretty much get a CTD within 16 days of my last save no matter what. Is there any way to figure out what's wrong? I can go back half a year but I can't see why the hell it'd be crashing as it is after such a big-free run so far.

Zoinker
Jan 18, 2009

A White Guy posted:

Catholic priests are rolling in the dough. If you ever look at the papacy late game (or one of the many, many,many holy orders mid-game) you'll notice that the pope is bathing in money, and so are the liege lords of the priets who pay the pope their taxes. Basically, my advice is to dump absurd amounts of money into the pool of your candidate.

OR, in a far more direct route, make an antipope and then put him in Rome. That will save you a ton of money.

Main Paineframe posted:

It's not the AI - IIRC, as part of the election process, the game gives a bonus of up to 500 gold to a random candidate before making the pick, so you have to outspend your opponents by a pretty good margin if you want to be absolutely positive that the Papacy will be yours.

It not so much my opponents having money that bugs me, but rather that they wait until immediately before the next cardinal is elected to spend it, making it impossible for me to re-raise my campaign fund in retaliation. Fortunately I had oodles of money from my previous revoke spree, so between my campaign expenses and rival cardinal stabbings I eventually got my guys into the papacy and all but one cardinal seat.

One question: Do you have to spend money on your cardinal to control him when he becomes Pope in order to get the free excommunications/claims/cash? The guy I got into the papacy is the only one who got there without my help, and as far as I could see he doesn't seem much more useful than a regular foreign pope.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Zoinker posted:

It not so much my opponents having money that bugs me, but rather that they wait until immediately before the next cardinal is elected to spend it, making it impossible for me to re-raise my campaign fund in retaliation. Fortunately I had oodles of money from my previous revoke spree, so between my campaign expenses and rival cardinal stabbings I eventually got my guys into the papacy and all but one cardinal seat.

One question: Do you have to spend money on your cardinal to control him when he becomes Pope in order to get the free excommunications/claims/cash? The guy I got into the papacy is the only one who got there without my help, and as far as I could see he doesn't seem much more useful than a regular foreign pope.

The Cardinal turned Pope is sovereign - he doesn't have to do anything you want him to do. The only real benefit you get is that he will have a large relationship bonus with you and is more likely to do something for you if you ask him to - but standard rules apply. If he likes the King of *insert Kingdom here* by even a tiny positive margin, he probably won't grant you claims on him.

IMO, the real reason that the whole Catholic restructing got put into place was to nerf Antipopes. If you create an antipope in your realm, the pope is more likely to grant would be rivals/enemies claims on your territory.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
So does wiping out Rome just remove the papacy from the game forever? I took it as the Hungarians and now there is no Pope anywhere as far as I can tell. I clicked the title "the Papacy" and it's empty and has the "create" button greyed out.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Mustang posted:

So does wiping out Rome just remove the papacy from the game forever? I took it as the Hungarians and now there is no Pope anywhere as far as I can tell. I clicked the title "the Papacy" and it's empty and has the "create" button greyed out.

Sounds like the game's bugged. The Papacy has a special tag that stops it from being destroyed when the holder becomes unlanded (and you can never normally disable it, in fact).

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Is there a easy way to tell what wars your vassals are involved in?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Open up the diplomacy screen for that vassal and it will show who they are at war with, have truces with or are hostile to.

Or you can click one of their counties and it will also tell you who they have a war or truce with.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Mustang posted:

Open up the diplomacy screen for that vassal and it will show who they are at war with, have truces with or are hostile to.

Or you can click one of their counties and it will also tell you who they have a war or truce with.

Yeah, i have a buttload of vassals at this point and was hoping there would ne a list or something somewhere. Thanks for that tho :)

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Your local cheese loving, wooden shoes wearing drug addict.

A White Guy posted:

The Cardinal turned Pope is sovereign - he doesn't have to do anything you want him to do. The only real benefit you get is that he will have a large relationship bonus with you and is more likely to do something for you if you ask him to - but standard rules apply. If he likes the King of *insert Kingdom here* by even a tiny positive margin, he probably won't grant you claims on him.

IMO, the real reason that the whole Catholic restructing got put into place was to nerf Antipopes. If you create an antipope in your realm, the pope is more likely to grant would be rivals/enemies claims on your territory.

I think antipopes are still overpowered as hell, really. Create one, press his claim one day later et voila. The pope will probably have around 7000 troops which you can easily crush. Once that's done you will forever have the pope as a vassal if you're an emperor, or you'll be best buddies with the pope without paying lots of money. :/

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Speaking about things that seems a bit overpowered: Retinues with a overwhelming amount of archers. I have a 15k ish army of about 60% archers and 40% huskarls and in the last 60 years no battle has made it past the skirmish stage.

Tho to be fair at this point in the game the challenge does not really lie in warfare, but more with vassal management.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
As a giant empire how much money should I be making monthly anyway? At my Roman Empire's height it was around 60 gold per month, which seems kind of low. And of course that's with no levies raised or deamuse penalties. Especially when I hear about other people drowning in riches. (Though maybe that's because they are republics?)

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Your local cheese loving, wooden shoes wearing drug addict.

Dongattack posted:

Speaking about things that seems a bit overpowered: Retinues with a overwhelming amount of archers. I have a 15k ish army of about 60% archers and 40% huskarls and in the last 60 years no battle has made it past the skirmish stage.

Tho to be fair at this point in the game the challenge does not really lie in warfare, but more with vassal management.

Play as a Greek and only train Cataphract's, it's even more OP. :clint:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

As a giant empire how much money should I be making monthly anyway? At my Roman Empire's height it was around 60 gold per month, which seems kind of low. And of course that's with no levies raised or deamuse penalties. Especially when I hear about other people drowning in riches. (Though maybe that's because they are republics?)

Do you have feudal vassal taxes at all? That is really kind of low. And remember that you don't need to keep taxes uniform, if your emperor has reigned for 30 years you can often get away with higher feudal taxes as long as your traits are not horrible.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Do you have a vassal republic? If not, get one, raise city taxes to hilarious levels, go swimming in resulting pool of gold.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Dutchfool posted:

Diminishing returns mean that past a certain point you're wasting money so better to mix with cheaper stuff like skirmish.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Dallan Invictus posted:

Do you have a vassal republic? If not, get one, raise city taxes to hilarious levels, go swimming in resulting pool of gold.

I held both the Republic of Venice and Genoa as vassals. And between the two their trading empires covered every part of the Mediterranean and the Black Sea. I didn't see poo poo from it.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Dutchfool posted:

Catas are actually one of the worst retinues, the puretype retinues with +60% are better. For the same retcap, almost every other retinue will dunk them.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Tulip posted:

Catas are actually one of the worst retinues, the puretype retinues with +60% are better. For the same retcap, almost every other retinue will dunk them.

Wait really? Everything I know is wrong...

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Tulip posted:

How do you know that?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I held both the Republic of Venice and Genoa as vassals. And between the two their trading empires covered every part of the Mediterranean and the Black Sea. I didn't see poo poo from it.

How is that even possible. Check your city tax income.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Wait really? Everything I know is wrong...

The real reason cataphracts suck is they are tied for most point-expensive, which means fewer troops, and force calculations are basic on raw numbers of men only. This makes cataphracts poo poo at the most important purpose of retinues: keeping factions scared.

• Locked thread