Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Rewatching Kai there are a few things from Z I find myself missing. The driving lessons filler, yeah, but other than that it's mostly little turns of phrase in the translation that stuck with me as a kid. Like, Vegeta saying Goku is "making sport of Nappa", little things like that. I know it's pretty much entirely nostalgia, though. There are a couple of great lines though. Freeza being increduclous when Vegeta shows up alive and says that he killed him and Vegeta replying "It didn't take!" Goku poo poo-talking Vegeta when he comes out the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, it's all great. I really like Cell's theme tune too.

It actually annoys me they still call him just Tien and never say Tien Shinhan like in the manga, though. You'd think the name I grew up with would stick with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Soulcleaver posted:

Are the only Dragonball scans around STILL the ugly, badly-edited, mirror-flipped scans from 1998? Haven't there been a couple VIZ English releases and re-releases?

Someone's redoing it from the very beginning, but he's only on like volume 9 of the Dragon Ball part of the story.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Prison Warden posted:

It actually annoys me they still call him just Tien and never say Tien Shinhan like in the manga, though. You'd think the name I grew up with would stick with me.

The way I rationalised stuff like this was Tien was his first name, but Shinhan was his surname. I know it doesn't really work (for one thing, it's probably the other way around but also I think it's one word anyway), but at least that way it makes more sense to me. And, besides, that way it doesn't stand out as weird that people don't do things like call Gohan "Son Gohan" everytime his name comes up and the like.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Prison Warden posted:

Rewatching Kai there are a few things from Z I find myself missing. The driving lessons filler, yeah, but other than that it's mostly little turns of phrase in the translation that stuck with me as a kid. Like, Vegeta saying Goku is "making sport of Nappa", little things like that. I know it's pretty much entirely nostalgia, though. There are a couple of great lines though. Freeza being increduclous when Vegeta shows up alive and says that he killed him and Vegeta replying "It didn't take!" Goku poo poo-talking Vegeta when he comes out the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, it's all great. I really like Cell's theme tune too.

I swear, there might have been one or two times in either Kai or the funi dub that they actually called him Tienshinhan. Or maybe I'm thinking of the DB dub by Funimation.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Why would they go around calling him Tienshinhan? They're friends now, you cut that poo poo down, especially when yelling about poo poo during fights.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Why would they go around calling him Tienshinhan? They're friends now, you cut that poo poo down, especially when yelling about poo poo during fights.

Don't they call him that in the manga too though?

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?

Last Celebration posted:

Why would you buy Z instead of Kai or the manga? Even if Kai's disks are more expensive, you're basically getting more anyway with the filler cut out. And Freeza not sounding like an old woman.

Already own Kai(and the original Orange Box sets), own the Viz Big Manga's of DB, working on getting the VizBigs's of DBZ. I just like collecting DBZ.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

crankdatbatman posted:

Don't they call him that in the manga too though?

Yeah, but what I mean is that while people mostly call Goku Goku and Tien Tien, they do occasionally say Son Goku or Tien Shinhan in situations where using a full name would be appropriate, such as announcing them in the World Martial Arts tournament, or introductions and such. But in Kai they never say the full name even when it would be appropriate. I can kinda get not saying Son Goku or Son Gohan if you don't want kids to be confused by the Japanese naming order, but there's a scene in the saiyan saga where I think Krillin is listing off their allies and says "Yamcha, our friend Tien, Yajirobe," I'm pretty sure if you call a guy Tien all the time and call him Tienshinhan once kids' heads wont explode from confusion.

Then again, I can't recall if the ever call Dr Briefs and Mrs Briefs their name or say Bulma's surname in Kai either, so maybe they just want to avoid surnames entirely.

Vintimus Prime posted:

I swear, there might have been one or two times in either Kai or the funi dub that they actually called him Tienshinhan. Or maybe I'm thinking of the DB dub by Funimation.

Yeah I think they call him by his full name in Dragonball. I think they even say Son Goku and Son Gohan too come to think of it. Huh. I guess they needed surnames for the Jackie Chun joke to work :v:

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Prison Warden posted:

But in Kai they never say the full name even when it would be appropriate.

Actually, they do it exactly one time.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Prison Warden posted:

Yeah, but what I mean is that while people mostly call Goku Goku and Tien Tien, they do occasionally say Son Goku or Tien Shinhan in situations where using a full name would be appropriate, such as announcing them in the World Martial Arts tournament, or introductions and such. But in Kai they never say the full name even when it would be appropriate. I can kinda get not saying Son Goku or Son Gohan if you don't want kids to be confused by the Japanese naming order, but there's a scene in the saiyan saga where I think Krillin is listing off their allies and says "Yamcha, our friend Tien, Yajirobe," I'm pretty sure if you call a guy Tien all the time and call him Tienshinhan once kids' heads wont explode from confusion.

Then again, I can't recall if the ever call Dr Briefs and Mrs Briefs their name or say Bulma's surname in Kai either, so maybe they just want to avoid surnames entirely.

Yeah I think they call him by his full name in Dragonball. I think they even say Son Goku and Son Gohan too come to think of it. Huh. I guess they needed surnames for the Jackie Chun joke to work :v:

I did love the scene in Kai where he says I'm Son Goku when fighting Freeza after turning ssj. That was awesome. Minus that if I recall right, it's mostly the enemies that will actually call him Son Goku. IE Freeza post namek, the androids, or Cell.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Vintimus Prime posted:

I did love the scene in Kai where he says I'm Son Goku when fighting Freeza after turning ssj. That was awesome. Minus that if I recall right, it's mostly the enemies that will actually call him Son Goku. IE Freeza post namek, the androids, or Cell.

"I'm Son Goku! I'm insane! From Earth!"

"...he...means......saiyan..."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Namtab posted:

Kamicollo

Schubalts posted:

Kamicollail

BMB5150 posted:

Picolami.

They should split the difference and call him Big Green.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Vintimus Prime posted:

I did love the scene in Kai where he says I'm Son Goku when fighting Freeza after turning ssj.

I preferred the classic Z speech "I am the hope of the universe...."

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Metal Loaf posted:

They should split the difference and call him Big Green.

Nah that's for Dende when he comes back to replace Kami.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars

Last Celebration posted:

Why would you buy Z instead of Kai or the manga? Even if Kai's disks are more expensive, you're basically getting more anyway with the filler cut out. And Freeza not sounding like an old woman.

Because of Gem's like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guzKXqYxnNc

I swear I must be the only person who finds it jarring not to hear Frieza sound like a old bag anymore.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

SirDrone posted:

Because of Gem's like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guzKXqYxnNc

I swear I must be the only person who finds it jarring not to hear Frieza sound like a old bag anymore.

I honestly love the Funimation dub, but there are some really godawful voice actors in it. Probably my favorite terrible line is when Hercule starts telepathically yelling at Earth during the Kid Buu fight, and some guy says, "Oh no. It was him, alright. Dude, if that was not the champ, I will eat the hat I am wearing." It's just so lifeless, it's like they used Windows 2000-era Microsoft Sam to do it.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

This latest DBM universe somehow has a competent as h*ck Krillen. He kills Vegeta, then solar flares -> destructo disk combos Zarbon

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Except now he's gonna get beat to death by a pissed off zarbon since this is the universe where Frieza won.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Any moment where Gohan flips the hell out during a fight rules. I wish they made him a bit more useful before the Cell Games though.

The cell games WAS the payoff though; every fight up to then was the build-up to that moment.

Everybody else is trading full-bodied slugs with Cell with no success, and Gohan just up and chumps him with two punches so hard it causes him to throw up an android

It was so graceful and perfect. Poetry in motion for my junior high self.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Parrotine posted:

The cell games WAS the payoff though; every fight up to then was the build-up to that moment.

Everybody else is trading full-bodied slugs with Cell with no success, and Gohan just up and chumps him with two punches so hard it causes him to throw up an android

It was so graceful and perfect. Poetry in motion for my junior high self.

I think he meant the other "boss fights" (that term applies so well) where Gohan had brief moments of overpowering Raditz/Frieza/whoever.

Personally, I think it would have been interesting to have Gohan, not Goku, turn Super Saiyan after Piccolo was wounded and Krillin killed. Would have changed the dynamic of the next few sagas to have their most powerful fighter be their most reluctant.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

carry on then posted:

I think he meant the other "boss fights" (that term applies so well) where Gohan had brief moments of overpowering Raditz/Frieza/whoever.

Personally, I think it would have been interesting to have Gohan, not Goku, turn Super Saiyan after Piccolo was wounded and Krillin killed. Would have changed the dynamic of the next few sagas to have their most powerful fighter be their most reluctant.

I wouldn't be surprised of Toriyama considered just that at one point or another. It's very well known that he was sick of Goku and tried his damnedest to pass the reins over to Gohan at various points in the series.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Toriko is ending in March, leaving us with...

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh god yes, the Buu Saga. Give me all of the shenanigans in stunning remastered picture!

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Feb 17, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Oh man, is the SS3 transformation not going to be an entire episode anymore? :(

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

aers posted:

Is it? Did it drop off in popularity or did the author decide it was time to wrap it up? I should catch up on it, I left off when they beat up the overwhelming villain by summoning Pac-Man.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Cornwind Evil posted:

Is it? Did it drop off in popularity or did the author decide it was time to wrap it up? I should catch up on it, I left off when they beat up the overwhelming villain by summoning Pac-Man.

It's getting really close to the manga. They probably don't want to pull a Bleach or Naruto with filler.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I started watching Kai again thanks mostly to this thread. I forget where exactly I left off but I think it was shortly after the Namek saga started. I'm picking it up from the start of the Android saga. It's pretty great since the Cell saga was where I started watching the dub as a kid and I have mostly forgotten everything since then.

One thing I forgot that Kai did amazingly compared to all other adaptations...the music. :allears:

But it's still weird hearing voices that aren't Team Four Star. Vegeta just...isn't the same. :sigh:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cornwind Evil posted:

The anime, not the manga. The manga just started part two, which means the anime has a real good break point coming up.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

One thing I forgot that Kai did amazingly compared to all other adaptations...the music. :allears:

Too bad the composer got caught ripping off a bunch of songs, including one from Terminator Salvation. They had to use old DbZ music after that.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Cornwind Evil posted:

Like the others mention its just the anime. In the past few weeks they've sped up the pace of the anime (in terms of how many chapters they're adapting per episode) to the point where it was pretty obvious they were gonna catch the manga by the end of March. At that point they were either going to have to do a filler arc or put the anime on hiatus. Toei basically owns the timeslot where Toriko/DBKai are airing, so with Toriko ending they needed to fill the slot, and since Kai Buu has been worked on for a while now, they can just stick it there with barely any effort. (this is basically the source of the most recent rumor that Kai Buu would happen in Spring, since there was no other show announced that could fill the timeslot)

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

So will this air in English on April 6?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

aers posted:

Oh man, I cannot wait. Buu saga was great, even with some stuff being needlessly drawn out. Kai version's going to be amazing.

Also remastered Saiyaman antics :allears:

aers
Feb 15, 2012

MooselanderII posted:

So will this air in English on April 6?

No, this is the Japanese dub. The existence of an English dub has been repeatedly leaked by some of the English VAs for years now so I'm sure it'll air eventually but there's no info yet.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I was beginning to think this was just a rumor, but it's awesome it's finally coming out.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I heard about a Buu saga Kai a year or so back. I didn't think it'd come to Japan though since Mr. Satan's VA died over there.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Rudoku posted:

Too bad the composer got caught ripping off a bunch of songs, including one from Terminator Salvation. They had to use old DbZ music after that.

It's interesting he only got caught when making the Kai music. 20 years is a long time to get away with plagiarizing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0y5B7AMP1g

You can hear just the Kai examples at 8:47.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Freakazoid_ posted:

It's interesting he only got caught when making the Kai music. 20 years is a long time to get away with plagiarizing.

I hadn't realized it was THAT blatant, drat.

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
I was worried when I saw that his name was Kenji Yamamoto until I realized that he's not the one who works for Nintendo and Retro so it's all okay now.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Vintimus Prime posted:

I hadn't realized it was THAT blatant, drat.

Yeah sometimes it's just a few oddly similar chords that you can ignore but other times it is basically note for note. Dunno how he thought he'd get away with some of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Freakazoid_ posted:

Ah I see the reason why the Budokai HD releases had the Burst Limit OST instead of the original. I still like the original, but now check out Stratovarious. :v

• Locked thread