Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

(and can't post for 642 days!)

i've been playing neverwinter online with some friends for the past few weeks and it seems fun to me and also free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Last_Ranger posted:

What's sad is that all these ideas about how the games could be made cool either by allowing players to place their own bounties or restricting the numbers of high powered artifacts or weapons aren't conducive to most casual players so they'll never happen...unless we all work together to make our own MMORPG.

this is cool because i'd love to troll the poo poo out of serious roleplayers with my naked fat orc paladin but not for 15bux a month. think about how many title changes you could buy Mordin

Just imagine your post count is your XP count, and your rap sheet is list of completed quests.

tRIDAV
Jul 10, 2001

Oh, cruel fates, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee.

steinrokkan posted:

Just imagine your post count is your XP count, and your rap sheet is list of completed quests.

rap sheet is a list of crimes you have to bribe your way out of to the guards (mods) when they catch you badposting

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

rainy day posted:

They're not commercial failures though. SWTOR, despite being a disaster of a game still made money, this will too. I wouldn't be surprised if it's an intentional strategy at this point:

Design an MMO with features made specifically to look good as box/press release bullet points instead of promoting fun gameplay, if possible use an existing IP (though Rift, TSW and others have shown this isn't necessary), now hype and market the poo poo out of it and package it as a AAA subscription game so you can justify selling it at full retail cost and watch the $60 and $100 CE preorders roll in while every burnt-out WoW idiot laps up your empty promises and transparently bad design decisions. Provided you managed spread the word properly by paying for enough full page ads on IGN or Polygon you make a tidy profit on release. Your game is already a moderate success in investors eyes but you're not done yet!

After the trickle of subscription money from people who forgot to cancel runs out you transition to f2p for a fraction of the cost of releasing new content. Now you have a new audience of dumb teenagers with no standards who will play your game entirely because they can play as a dragon or a furry or whatever your sad nerd gimmick is. While these kids balk at the idea of paying the price of a couple meals once a month to play your lovely game, a decent percentage of them will be willing to pay many times more than that on cosmetic bullshit, convenience items (or if you're a really big rear end in a top hat, required end-game items) provided you let them pay for free long enough to get emotionally invested in their big titty leopard girl.

Congrats, you've managed to make a "successful" game by exploiting the stupidity of not one, but two sub-demographics of pathetic nerds, you can now use the goodwill of investors and the money you've earned to finance your next creatively bankrupt MMO cashgrab. Sure it's not as insanely profitable as a successful subscription MMO like WoW but it's a lot easier to pull off when you have limited development time and an talentless dev team.

Yeah man businesses love spending 8 figures and only breaking even. Or only making 10% of their investment over 2 years. Or less. Your measure of "success" is literally no one else's interpretation in this industry. This poo poo is big business. And big business expects big returns.

SWOTOR was a top down failure by any measure and came with huge layoffs. This will too.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Last_Ranger posted:

What's sad is that all these ideas about how the games could be made cool either by allowing players to place their own bounties or restricting the numbers of high powered artifacts or weapons aren't conducive to most casual players so they'll never happen...unless we all work together to make our own MMORPG.

this is cool because i'd love to troll the poo poo out of serious roleplayers with my naked fat orc paladin but not for 15bux a month. think about how many title changes you could buy Mordin

The starting clothes don't give any bonus so almost everyone I saw in the early areas was naked

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Cession posted:

Yeah man businesses love spending 8 figures and only breaking even. Or only making 10% of their investment over 2 years. Or less. Your measure of "success" is literally no one else's interpretation in this industry. This poo poo is big business. And big business expects big returns.

SWOTOR was a top down failure by any measure and came with huge layoffs. This will too.

Are layoffs always because of failure though? Isn't some of that because they don't need as many people to manage a game once it's been launched?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Bad company design and because their projected ROI isn't high enough.

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

Mr. Horrible posted:

Are layoffs always because of failure though? Isn't some of that because they don't need as many people to manage a game once it's been launched?

yeah layoffs are pretty common after a big mmo release whether its successful or not. layoffs are incredibly common in the games industry in general.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

I like playing video games and will therefore enjoy working in the games industry

-- an idiot

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Moridin920 posted:

WHY DOES ANYONE EXPECT AN MMO TO BE GOOD

lol

lmao

using beta status to excuse heaps of flaws doesnt work when the game's getting released in a few months. only true believers trying to justify their purchase like that guy see ~the vision~, the rest of us see whats actually there.

if you wanted me to evaluate the day 1 patch, you shouldve been published yesterday

Sardikar
Sep 27, 2004
I cant think of anything to put here.

Somewhere in the ZeniMax Online Studios a printed copy of the end user agreement has burst into flames...

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

haha the MMO HMO thread has turned this guy "Utnayan" into some kind of supervillain for talking smack on the game and they won't stop talking about him

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

they keep posting screenshots like this and saying it's "beautiful" but it looks like a game from 2010:

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

average for an mmo is still bad.

Ok, following your metric, ESO is worse then bad then, cool, I agree.

G.I. Jaw
Mar 26, 2003

More cake, Mrs. Tuffington?

Nap Ghost
My favorite thing was how all armor felt tailor-made to fit each character.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
omg how awful it is

the best graphics shown were the loving fat sliders

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Fallom posted:

they keep posting screenshots like this and saying it's "beautiful" but it looks like a game from 2010:

It's a bunch of flat textures with primitive shaders and billboards placed over simplistic geometry, but it looks "good" because you can't see poo poo over the flare.

There are some relatively pretty shots, but they are all closeups so it seems the game fails to create good large-scale scenes but some isolated details aren't entirely embarrassing.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

steinrokkan posted:

It's a bunch of flat textures with primitive shaders and billboards placed over simplistic geometry, but it looks "good" because you can't see poo poo over the flare.

There are some relatively pretty shots, but they are all closeups so it seems the game fails to create good large-scale scenes but some isolated details aren't entirely embarrassing.

i mean look at those next gen 2014 god rays #ps4 #xbone

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Fallom posted:

DAoC looked like that 10 years ago.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

G.I. Jaw posted:

catinahat.jpg

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
I'm an angry video game nerd.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The character models look so bad that I had to play in first person. Which they weren't originally going to add into the game.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Looks to me just as bad as oblivion and morrowind. Honestly I don't know why anyone wants to see their hands all the god drat time.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

G.I. Jaw posted:

i made the shortest character possible and his shield and sword were never held properly because they can't change the animations based on height

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Also their survey is bad enough that they are going to get the wrong information from the results.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Third World Reggin posted:

Also their survey is bad enough that they are going to get the wrong information from the results.

lol like any of the survey stuff will affect what they do before it goes live

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Maybe it's just me but I don't give as much of a poo poo about graphics as long as the game doesn't have 2,199 bugs and the story is kinda fun.

Too bad we know which side of that line Bethesda usually falls on!

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

How about this, the teams are getting bonuses based on that survey and metacritic.

sorry I mean no team is getting a bonus and most are getting laid off.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

Crazy Ted posted:

Maybe it's just me but I don't give as much of a poo poo about graphics as long as the game doesn't have 2,199 bugs and the story is kinda fun.

Too bad we know which side of that line Bethesda usually falls on!

it's an mmo what the gently caress kind of story can you expect
that's 1/2 of ur thing gone right there

G.I. Jaw
Mar 26, 2003

Nap Ghost
The worst thing about the story is that you are the CHOSEN ONE, along with every other player. Would it really have been so hard to write a story where you and the thousands of other people are providing support to the actual heroes, so it at least makes some drat sense?

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
I don't see why they didn't make a version for the 360. Not everyone can afford the latest generation console but we buy games sometimes. :(

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Smarmy Coworker posted:

it's an mmo what the gently caress kind of story can you expect
that's 1/2 of ur thing gone right there
Well this is why I don't play mmo's. What seems really stupid about this game is that all of the players are shoehorned into one of three alliances right as they begin. They could have had each race on their or something to start with and let the players decide what the allegiances end up being but idk

Well, that and other things.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

G.I. Jaw posted:

The worst thing about the story is that you are the CHOSEN ONE, along with every other player. Would it really have been so hard to write a story where you and the thousands of other people are providing support to the actual heroes, so it at least makes some drat sense?

Yeah, this was really hilarious in the beta when you would be doing CHOSEN ONE quests and there would be 6 other players huddled around the same NPC clicking through the same dialogue boxes about being the CHOSEN ONE as you. SO EPIC

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

G.I. Jaw posted:

they did that in gw2 and it was awful because you were playing second fiddle to some dumb rear end tree man

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

I don't see why they didn't make a version for the 360. Not everyone can afford the latest generation console but we buy games sometimes. :(

Consider it a favor.

G.I. Jaw
Mar 26, 2003

Nap Ghost

poptart_fairy posted:

they did that in gw2 and it was awful because you were playing second fiddle to some dumb rear end tree man

Yeah I can see how that would suck. I just think there needs to be some change so that not every single person is te chosen hero of legend. It would be pretty rad if near the end of the main quest you learn that the prophet is actually Molag Bal and he's just been jerking you around with that Chosen One bullshit!

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

G.I. Jaw posted:

Yeah I can see how that would suck. I just think there needs to be some change so that not every single person is te chosen hero of legend. It would be pretty rad if near the end of the main quest you learn that the prophet is actually Molag Bal and he's just been jerking you around with that Chosen One bullshit!

I unironically believe that MMOs should have no story what so ever and just a giant world to explore and do whatever you want in, Star Wars Galaxies style.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, but there's situations in TESO it'd be easy to fix. Like the beginning of the Dominion quest line is "you're the only survivor we've found from the shipwreck!"

Just have him say "Another survivor!" or something like that

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
WoW has actually gotten fairly good at presenting its story and lore (mostly through cutscenes admittedly) and it says a lot about the genre when a 10 year old game is still pretty much the only one innovating.

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

I unironically believe that MMOs should have no story what so ever and just a giant world to explore and do whatever you want in, Star Wars Galaxies style.

This is also acceptable and more studios should do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The tree man in gw2 sucked because his voice actor sucked. Whenever he spoke a little of my human spirit was sapped

• Locked thread