Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

hallo spacedog posted:

Use it in fried rice for extra deliciousness.

This. Or basically add it to any dish for extra deliciousness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genewiz
Nov 21, 2005
oh darling...

hallo spacedog posted:

Use it in fried rice for extra deliciousness.

Make sure to fry it first like bacon.

Or just stick some cut up pieces with the rice in the rice cooker if you are feeling very lazy

Kuhmondo
Jul 2, 2009

pogothemonkey0 posted:

I bought some chinese sausage recently and need some ideas for what to do with it. Anyone have any recipes that use lap cheong?

Stir fry it with some lotus root and Chinese black fungi. Add a bit of oyster sauce and hoisin with some starch-water to thicken the liquid up. Finish it off with a small amount of black or red vinegar, whichever you prefer, and some green onions. You can also add bean curds too for extra yum.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Genewiz posted:

Make sure to fry it first like bacon.

I steam it first, a few brands list this instruction on the packaging. Steam first to ensure it's safely cooked then use in your stir fry.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Hey, I'm wanting to make some Red Pork because one of my friends came and cooked some before and it was amazing.

All of the online recipes look awful, I'm wanting like an authentic Chinese/Shanghai red pork recipe, does anyone have one/instructions on how to cook it?

(Figured I'd have more luck in this thread than the general questions one for a how-to)

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy

GreyPowerVan posted:

Hey, I'm wanting to make some Red Pork because one of my friends came and cooked some before and it was amazing.

All of the online recipes look awful, I'm wanting like an authentic Chinese/Shanghai red pork recipe, does anyone have one/instructions on how to cook it?

(Figured I'd have more luck in this thread than the general questions one for a how-to)

Check out Gravity's recipe on the Goons with Spoons wiki: http://goonswithspoons.com/Red_Braised_Pork It's pretty tasty.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

oTHi posted:

Check out Gravity's recipe on the Goons with Spoons wiki: http://goonswithspoons.com/Red_Braised_Pork It's pretty tasty.

I looked there first, but for some reason I simply couldn't find the recipe! Thanks.

EDIT: Any recommendations for side dishes?

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 6, 2014

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Grand Fromage posted:

I've never been able to get dry fried green beans to come out nearly as well as they should. Is anyone good at it? What do you do?

They deep fry the green beans for a little while before they stir fry them at my restaurant.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
You can approximate that effect by making sure they are extremely dry and not crowding your pan. Could even do the preliminary stir fry in batches, then combine with the toasted spices and pickled mustard tuber.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I live in Wisconsin. Or rather, I live in China but I'm from northern Wisconsin. I bought some local maple syrup when I was home for a friend and now that I've got it I can't imagine what he'd do with it. Any recipe ideas? Can you even make pancakes in a a wok with ingredients you can get in China? I want to amaze a friend with my forest home's amazing tree blood but I can't think of a Chinese starch vehicle appropriate to carry the syrup.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Red braised anything with maple as the sugar sounds quite delicious. I can't think of any Chinese foods that use fenugreek/methi but that's probably a deficiency I have. I'm sure it's somewhere. Since we use fenugreek to make "maple syrup flavor" there is no reason why you couldn't go the opposite direction.

Or just be a fatty and dunk your breakfast doughnuts in syrup.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Are you kidding? Just use some un-filled steamed bun. I would treat the maple syrup as a dipping sauce. It'd be great.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

I live in Wisconsin. Or rather, I live in China but I'm from northern Wisconsin. I bought some local maple syrup when I was home for a friend and now that I've got it I can't imagine what he'd do with it. Any recipe ideas? Can you even make pancakes in a a wok with ingredients you can get in China? I want to amaze a friend with my forest home's amazing tree blood but I can't think of a Chinese starch vehicle appropriate to carry the syrup.

I'll be willing to bet you can find a regular flat pan nearby for less than $10, in the same way you can probably find a fork somewhere in town. I'm pretty confident that the Chinese don't cook exclusively in woks.

As for ingredients, I'm sure you can find flour, eggs, milk, and baking soda in China too.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Probably should have mentioned that, on reflection, I don't know how to make pancakes. It's the sort of thing that you assume you do know until you have to think about it.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Feb 12, 2014

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Maple syrup is good for oatmeal, for other non-Chinese uses.

There's a Korean street food called hoddeok which is amazing and probably has an equivalent in Chinese cuisine, it's a fried thin bread thing with brown sugar and nuts inside. Maple syrup would be awesome on/in one of those.

E: Looks like a laobing with brown sugar inside is the Chinese version.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Arglebargle III posted:

Probably should have mentioned that, on reflection, I don't know how to make pancakes. It's the sort of thing that you assume you do know until you have to think about it.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/good-old-fashioned-pancakes/

Good luck!

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, pancakes are pretty straightforward - get a decent recipe, combine your dry ingredients, combine your wet ingredients, mix the two together just enough to combine but no more, add to a hot griddle. Flip em when you see bubbles or the bottom looks like it's golden-brown. If your griddle isn't non-stick, use a lot of butter.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
I know that some Chinese eat yogurt, and maple syrup with plain yogurt is very delicious. Actually, just make sweet soft tofu/dofu fa and use maple syrup instead of the more typical ginger sugar syrup.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Maple syrup would be loving amazing with youtiao :coolfish:

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Arglebargle III posted:

Find a bakery that makes western style bread, make bread pudding, alternately you could make a pounding chomeur (unemployment pudding), both of these are pretty easy and great ways of getting syrup down your maw in Quebec.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pouding_ch%C3%B4meur

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Maple syrup seems like it'd be nice with a very simple congee type thing.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I think that since this friend probably eats chinese food most every day, western style pancakes with maple syrup may still be the best choice.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
Any suggestions for some nice pork floss I got today? I also got some shredded, dried squid

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

Dried squid = beer snack!

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Make a pork floss sandwich (pork floss between two slices of bread, optionally spread jam on one slice of bread) or use it as a topping for congee.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Restaurant nearby also uses it in fried rice.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
So far I've been stuffing it in my face, or putting it on my noodles. The dried squid is spicy and pretty much ambrosia

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pepsi-Tan posted:

Any suggestions for some nice pork floss I got today?

I usually eat it in congee.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Has anyone ever made fried rice with lobster tail meat? If I was to do that, what else should I put in it?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I dunno, maybe caviar and gold leaf?

The idea of fried rice with gourmet ingredients just strikes me as funny.

Serious answer: things with light flavor. Scallions, bits of carrot, egg and not a whole lot else. You'll want to go light on the soy sauce and very light on sesame oil (if you use it in the first place) in order not to overpower the lobster.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

I dunno, maybe caviar and gold leaf?

The idea of fried rice with gourmet ingredients just strikes me as funny.

It's not funny, it's just delicious :colbert:

You can make a dried fried rice with crispy dried scallops or a wet fried rice scallops. If you want fancy I say ditch the salt, ditch the soy sauce, and ditch the carrots. That's Chinese diner level food (still good).

Lobster tail works great with egg white, super thin scallions, scallops, fresh bamboo shoots, and I can't think of anything right now. Oh right, use abalone sauce instead for flavouring and if you can stuff it in a lotus leaf. That's basically the gist of "Fook Lam Moon Restaurant Fried Rice" - Top tier of Cantonese food in the world dare I say.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

caberham posted:

It's not funny, it's just delicious :colbert:

You can make a dried fried rice with crispy dried scallops or a wet fried rice scallops. If you want fancy I say ditch the salt, ditch the soy sauce, and ditch the carrots. That's Chinese diner level food (still good).

Lobster tail works great with egg white, super thin scallions, scallops, fresh bamboo shoots, and I can't think of anything right now. Oh right, use abalone sauce instead for flavouring and if you can stuff it in a lotus leaf. That's basically the gist of "Fook Lam Moon Restaurant Fried Rice" - Top tier of Cantonese food in the world dare I say.

Thanks so much for this.

Lobster tail is as a luxury ingredient is kind of funny to me... they're like 2 dollars at the local Chinese market or I can get two whole lobsters for like 6 dollars, as long as I'm willing to fight them out of the tank live.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Where is this magic land where lobster is cheaper than chicken, and why am I not there right now?

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Grand Fromage posted:

Where is this magic land where lobster is cheaper than chicken, and why am I not there right now?

NJ Chinese markets for lobsters of strange and dubious origin. The chicken is way cheaper than that.

Same place I get five dollar whole pork bellies.

hallo spacedog fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Feb 26, 2014

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Locally available lobster has been stupid cheap the last couple years due to global warming causing an over population. Prices are high outside of the New England area due to transportation costs/price fixing by restaurants. If you're in Maine lobster is 2 dollars a pound and lobstermen are struggling to make a living because the low price for lobster means they can barely recoup their expenses.

tl;dr Go to New England and get cheap lobster.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Excess lobster or crayfish: Toss it in pasta with lemon juice, bit of olive oil and basil.

I know this is the chinese thread but this is what we always do with leftover crayfish from midsummer crayfish parties and it seemed relevant to the conversation.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

NLJP posted:

Excess lobster or crayfish: Toss it in pasta with lemon juice, bit of olive oil and basil.

I know this is the chinese thread but this is what we always do with leftover crayfish from midsummer crayfish parties and it seemed relevant to the conversation.

You can also put it in miso soup. So good that way.

EDIT:

hallo spacedog fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 26, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

hallo spacedog posted:

NJ Chinese markets for lobsters of strange and dubious origin. The chicken is way cheaper than that.

Same place I get five dollar whole pork bellies.

Where in New Jersey? I know I've seen pretty cheap lobsters in NYC Chinatown but never that cheap. The cheapest lobster seemed to get around here was about four dollars per pound.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Where in New Jersey? I know I've seen pretty cheap lobsters in NYC Chinatown but never that cheap. The cheapest lobster seemed to get around here was about four dollars per pound.

Good Fortune Market in Central NJ, near New Brunswick. I don't buy lobsters too often but last time I did I was pretty impressed by the cheapness too. They aren't big at all, in fact on the rather smallish side. They had Maine lobsters which were a bit more expensive and big, and then weird mystery unlabeled lobsters which are cheap. They tasted fine to me too.

The Chinese fish market guy laughed at me the whole time I was trying to grab them out of the tank with tongs, though. They have eels and live frogs and all that good stuff too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

hallo spacedog posted:

Good Fortune Market in Central NJ, near New Brunswick. I don't buy lobsters too often but last time I did I was pretty impressed by the cheapness too. They aren't big at all, in fact on the rather smallish side. They had Maine lobsters which were a bit more expensive and big, and then weird mystery unlabeled lobsters which are cheap. They tasted fine to me too.

The Chinese fish market guy laughed at me the whole time I was trying to grab them out of the tank with tongs, though. They have eels and live frogs and all that good stuff too.

I'm up north, but I shall plan visiting the next time I'm visiting family down that way. That's pretty awesome.

I'm sure there has to be some kind of similar place near Fort Lee or somewhere up here.