Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me
Xun, I don't know if its common in other daycares, but at the one I work at we'll take dog aggressive dogs (just not people aggressive). We just keep them in a seperate space on their own(and give them a couple walks a day to stretch their legs). At least at my work there is a fee (15 a night I think?) But that's about the price of two walks so w/e.

In looking for a place I would start by looking at locations with lots of good reviews. Personally I would find somewhere that's a smaller facility. I would not let my dog mix at my work during the day because I feel it isn't run safely; waaaay too many dogs to a pen. Its better now with much smaller groups but I don't trust a lot of the workers who are pretty dog retarded. Ideally you could find a place that organizes small groups that matches dogs by play style (aka not putting shy anxious dogs in with rude lovely puppies)

Anyways, probably gonna end up making a thread about her because who doesn't want more shiba puppy pictures, but my boyfriend and I just got this little lady Saturday:

Thus far, she's wonderful. Loose leash walks like a champ, mostly quiet(occasional shibe fits are had), only a few accidents inside(which were our fault, she would go while we were preparing to take her out). Sleeps through the night at 7.5 weeks. Obsessed with our cats and wants to play with them SO BAD.

She's so perfect :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Souffle
Aug 9, 2005

Xun posted:

he does try to run at other dogs when I'm walking him.

Is this supposed to be bad? Coco and Natsu will try to run towards other dogs if they see them, but I thought it was normal behavior. They just want to go over and say hi (sniff butts)...

Psychobabble: Your new puppy is adorable! What's her name? :allears:

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

This is my dog, Ginger. I don't live with my parents anymore, but we got her when I was 14 so I think of her as "my dog" still.

We never knew what breed she was, but I'm convinced that at least one of her parents was a primitive breed, probably American dingo/Carolina dog. (I live in North New Jersey and she was apparently born here.)

She has a wrinkly forehead, and her ears are usually down, but go up when she's interested in something. Her tail is curled and she has a white stomach and paws. She was about 35 pounds when we adopted her from a shelter but she's reached almost 60. A large part of that might be from stealing food.

My mom tells people that Ginger is strange because personality-wise she's very cuddly and loving and submissive towards people, but she really likes hunting small animals and will spend days stalking a lone mouse in the basement. My family isn't really into training dogs so Ginger is pretty neurotic. She destroyed the house's living room carpet by peeing on it so often. When she was younger she ran away whenever she could. At first she'd go into the road, which really upset me because it's a busy road in a rural area where people often speed, but after a while she kept to my backyard and those of my neighbors.

Like I said I think she's some sort of feral breed, but other people tell me she's probably just a terrier mixed with a lab or some poo poo. I know there's only so much you can glean from two pictures and my biography, but what do you guys think?

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Souffle posted:

Psychobabble: Your new puppy is adorable! What's her name? :allears:

Aiko! She's really really sweet and likes to be held. She's been just about the perfect puppy

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Clochette posted:

Like I said I think she's some sort of feral breed, but other people tell me she's probably just a terrier mixed with a lab or some poo poo. I know there's only so much you can glean from two pictures and my biography, but what do you guys think?

The chances that she is anything like a dingo/carolina dog are very very small. You have a cute mutty mutt of who knows what breeds. Doesn't make her any less awesome at all. Any "feral" qualities you see are just characteristics of an untrained dog.

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011

Psychobabble! posted:

Xun, I don't know if its common in other daycares, but at the one I work at we'll take dog aggressive dogs (just not people aggressive). We just keep them in a seperate space on their own(and give them a couple walks a day to stretch their legs). At least at my work there is a fee (15 a night I think?) But that's about the price of two walks so w/e.

In looking for a place I would start by looking at locations with lots of good reviews. Personally I would find somewhere that's a smaller facility. I would not let my dog mix at my work during the day because I feel it isn't run safely; waaaay too many dogs to a pen. Its better now with much smaller groups but I don't trust a lot of the workers who are pretty dog retarded. Ideally you could find a place that organizes small groups that matches dogs by play style (aka not putting shy anxious dogs in with rude lovely puppies)

Anyways, probably gonna end up making a thread about her because who doesn't want more shiba puppy pictures, but my boyfriend and I just got this little lady Saturday:

Thus far, she's wonderful. Loose leash walks like a champ, mostly quiet(occasional shibe fits are had), only a few accidents inside(which were our fault, she would go while we were preparing to take her out). Sleeps through the night at 7.5 weeks. Obsessed with our cats and wants to play with them SO BAD.

She's so perfect :allears:

Please please please post more of her.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

bowling 4 buttcoins posted:

Please please please post more of her.

I ended up making a thread so I wasn't always spamming this one with pics(which is hard). It is here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3601666

Bonus pic:

Hij
May 29, 2005

Clochette posted:

She has a wrinkly forehead, and her ears are usually down, but go up when she's interested in something. Her tail is curled and she has a white stomach and paws. She was about 35 pounds when we adopted her from a shelter but she's reached almost 60. A large part of that might be from stealing food.

Wrinkly forehead, white paws/belly, curled tail... could have some Basenji in her, but they're still pretty rare in the US so like cryingscarf said, chances are small. People used to think Ibizan hounds were an ancient breed because they looked so similar to one, but it turns out that you can breed most anything selectively to look similar to anything else. Whatever she is, she's lovely. Most mutts are!

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Sheba update: The Alaskan Malamute rescue group that posted the Petfinder ad came through for us. They found someone who lives in our area that has owned female malamutes for over 20 years. They lost their last Mal in December to bone cancer. I talked with them on the phone at length and they were so excited about Sheba. They had been having a really hard time finding another Mal and were thinking about making a tri-state drive just to look at Mals. When we met in person they brought photo albums of their other dogs, they had professional pet photos of one of the dogs, and they said they had two laundry baskets full of toys. Their living situation also seemed quite fitting. I felt a lot better about these people than the other woman, especially since they really knew their stuff about Malamutes and the other woman kept calling Sheba a husky mix.

We said goodbye to Sheba on Sunday. We brought Goliath with since they wanted to meet our other Mal, and Sheba seemed to walk well with them and hopped right in their car. They had already set up a vet appointment for her as well. The guy added me on Facebook and sent me a message on Monday that she was getting used to the place and had been on a couple walks that day.

It was tough letting her go but it seems like she's in a good, experienced home with people who are really going to love her. She's also going to be an only-dog and won't be around children. We miss her, she's a sweet girl, but to be honest it's like the tension has lifted and I don't feel like I constantly need to be worried.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Koivunen posted:

It was tough letting her go but it seems like she's in a good, experienced home with people who are really going to love her.

I have been wondering how you guys have been, and this is update is wonderful! You did a great thing. <3 I hope the new owners post happy Sheba photos that you can share on here.

Speaking of photos... I think we are well overdue for some more Goliath photos.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Sounds like a perfect ending. Never think that a breed specific rescue won't have a far reach :)

I might post Nori pictures if you post Goliath....

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

cryingscarf posted:

Speaking of photos... I think we are well overdue for some more Goliath photos.

TVs Ian posted:

I might post Nori pictures if you post Goliath....

Well... OKAY.

If I get any Sheba updates I will for sure post them here.

We've been having some awful weather here (three day blizzard, -50 degree stretches, ice storms, etc) and haven't been walking Goliath as much as we normally would, plus I was out of the country for a while, so I only have a few photos, all from the same day.

One of his favorite activities is rolling around, which results in a lot of static electricity.

After a good belly rub.

Smiley face.

Bonus malamute-cat Pikkukoira mid-yawn.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Aravenna posted:

Please go over to the Primitive Breeds thread and post as many pictures as possible of this puppy. Daily. That coat color is amazing.

ok!

Recent rescue from some bad living conditions. her mother was "Full blood husky" and as near as I can tell her father was a catahoula with something thrown in. As soon as I find my camera I will try and get pictures of her "cracked" eyes. each one is split into two different colors.

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Aaaa! :3: She reminds me of huskyjackal's Diaz.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Oh? A pig's ear for me?

Don't mind if I MGHRFRGLNGH

OH GOD SATISFACTION SNEEZE

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Darth Freddy posted:

Recent rescue from some bad living conditions. her mother was "Full blood husky" and as near as I can tell her father was a catahoula with something thrown in. As soon as I find my camera I will try and get pictures of her "cracked" eyes. each one is split into two different colors.

Do you have any pictures of the sire? Did you see him in person?

I think the split-colour eyes are normally referred to as marbled.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

a life less posted:

Do you have any pictures of the sire? Did you see him in person?

I think the split-colour eyes are normally referred to as marbled.

Yeah saw him. Almost solid white with black spots, largish, bright blue eyes but they were very very close together. I thought he was some kind of lab mix at first. Body was fairly stout.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Is there a major difference between Malamutes and Huskys besides size?

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Their attitudes are really similar, but huskies have a LOT more energy. Much more likely to be underfoot in the house, and can require more effort to tire out.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

WolfensteinBag posted:

Their attitudes are really similar, but huskies have a LOT more energy. Much more likely to be underfoot in the house, and can require more effort to tire out.
And they can and will escape from anywhere, while malamutes can only escape from most places.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

They're smaller, makes the more agile. :haw:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

WolfensteinBag posted:

They're smaller, makes the more agile. :haw:
Chows are pretty small, and it looks like nobody told them that.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

WEEDLORDBONERHEGEL posted:

Chows are pretty small, and it looks like nobody told them that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uJ3FQaMlo4

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
There are some pretty cool ice caves near-ish where we live, so we had to take the pup out for a walk now that it's finally above zero. Hit ten degrees today and it felt like a heat wave. We walked for four hours and covered about ten miles. Goliath hasn't been out for extended periods lately due to the weather, so he was pretty tuckered out by the end.

Expert digger.

Koivunen fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Apr 25, 2017

MrConfusedTurkey
Dec 14, 2013

Ahhh wow, Goliath is a gorgeous dog. Is he full malamute?

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I am totally in love with Goliath.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

That's hardly what I'd describe as "agile." It's basically a floofsphere with a head at one end and a floofcoil at the other.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
This is Thor. He is a Malamute x Husky. His mother and father were also Malamute x Huskys. We got him a few weeks after our second child was born, and I'll admit, after having lots of experience with German Shepherds, I thought a primitive breed was a bad idea for a house with 2 kids in it, one of which was a newborn.

I am pleased to say I was wrong, at least with this guy.

He has one blue eye and one brown eye, and he's beautiful.

He's an enormous sook. Here he is after a few months, lying on a onesie my wife made, because it smelled like her.

He is my wifes dog, and he believes she is the center of the entire universe.

However, he loves everyone else just the same. No problem with hugs!

He's the friendliest, most relaxed and tolerant dog I've ever known. His new best friend is a kitten named Silvie. They chase each other around and have ambush games with each other.

His other playmate is a Maremma Sheepdog named Sascha.

Bonus pic of my eldest son playing with Saschas fur as a puppy, because it felt like his sheepskin rug he had in his cot.

He is unfortunately an escape artist. We live right across from a school, and he loves to go across the road and play with all the kids. He is a pat-slut.

Sadly he is living with my dad an hour away at the moment, since he got off his chain while we were upgrading our fence (ironically to better secure him) and went over to another school, and rounded up their sheep they have for agriculture studies. He didn't hurt them, or even try to hurt them, but he was in their pen, running around like the doofus he is and got caught, so now it looks like the council will declare him a dangerous dog and we'll have to install $20,000 worth of 2 metre high fences to get him back. :( Poor guy never hurt a fly.

Ponyfields
Nov 2, 2011

Yuuna was 7 months old on Sunday. She is as graceful and elegant as ever.

[/URL]

Congobongo
Feb 6, 2004
i break for dinosaurs

Smellrose
I'm curious, for all the primitive owners here, how are your dogs attitudes towards water? I can't get my little guy to play in the ocean with me, he'll chase me and wrestle on the beach but backs off right when the tide comes up. I guess it's a good thing since I don't have to deal with a wet sandy dog when I get back to the car.

Although mine doesn't mind laying in wet sand though.

Ponyfields
Nov 2, 2011
Exactly the same as Yuuna's, then. She is fine with mud and water up to her toes, but anything more than that and she will not go in. This puppy will jump off a 20ft embankment to go after ducks but will refuses to wade after them.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
Thor loves water. Bath time is no big deal, he's been known to just jump into a bath or shower you're having and join you. He's never been to the beach, but will play with a sprinkler all day and acts like all his christmases have come at once when it rains. But then he gets all muddy, which I suppose is a win-win for him, because then he gets another bath.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
My malamute loves water, so long as his paws can touch the bottom. I'm sure he would swim if he had to though, he's just a big baby about it.

RetroVirus
Jun 27, 2004

If it's been raining or the snow has melted, Brodie will refuse to go outside. He will not step on wet grass or mud he just doesn't have to pee all that bad, thank you very much. On hikes though when there's a stream he will frolic in it??

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Moist makes Koji melt. Ellie doesn't give two shits, though I have yet to convince her it's ok to swim. She plays in rain and shoves her head in downspouts, but swimming is scary.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

shiba party!

Our Juno is the one with the teal collar with silver stars on it. She was surprisingly well behaved, and by that I mean didn't get mad at any of the other dogs, but wasn't friendly either.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Shibe party: all dogs stand around acting like indifferent dicks to one another. :3:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Hahaha ALL, I was totally thinking the same thing. :3:

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

So much tail floof! :swoon: We have monthly shiba meetings here that I want to take Aiko to once she has all her shots, but I don't think she'd do well because she's the anti-shiba and just wants to greet and play with every dog and hey do you mind if I lick your face and climb all over you? She's never really been around a dog that has given her a stern gently caress Off before (the only time one got close she did some sort of wiggly roll over thing while still trying to lick their faces). It makes me worried but I guess we would probably just keep her lead dragging or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009
A couple brought their shiba to the dog park this weekend and it was so much smaller than I had imagined. It really is hard to get a sense of their size from pictures. Their heads seem smaller than other small breeds, which gives them a more proportional look. It was about the size of this random picture I pulled from Google:

But, yeah, it had a >:| expression the whole time and spent most of its time trying to shake off the little poodle-y dog that was jumping all over it. Also the neckbeardy looking teenager who was there kept calling it a "sheebee"

• Locked thread