Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Plinkey posted:

I'm not really sure what he's getting at here, other than potatoes = cheap people food.
He's not just a - you know - but he's also HALF AN IRISHMAN! :freep:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdSnickersBar
Apr 7, 2005

Nessus posted:

He's not just a - you know - but he's also HALF AN IRISHMAN! :freep:

No, Irishmen are white these days. You're thinking of 19th century freepers.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I dunno, Freepers have actually touted phrenology before. I wouldn't be surprised to see this show up:

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Of course you'd say that, you have the brainpan of a stagecoach tilter!

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.
I know, I know, Huffington Post. But: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/12/unemployment-benefits_n_4769558.html

This article struck me as kind of wacky. Here's a self-styled Republican-voting Libertarian complaining that long-term unemployment benefits didn't get restored. I...what? He should be celebrating the triumph of the individual over the nanny state. How does he reconcile what would appear to be an internally-inconsistent belief system?

I want to feel bad for the guy but, no, gently caress it, I don't. Partially because I don't know him and therefore he's an abstraction to me, but also because I'm more than a little tired of people like this.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Mandals posted:

I know, I know, Huffington Post. But: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/12/unemployment-benefits_n_4769558.html

This article struck me as kind of wacky. Here's a self-styled Republican-voting Libertarian complaining that long-term unemployment benefits didn't get restored. I...what? He should be celebrating the triumph of the individual over the nanny state. How does he reconcile what would appear to be an internally-inconsistent belief system?

I want to feel bad for the guy but, no, gently caress it, I don't. Partially because I don't know him and therefore he's an abstraction to me, but also because I'm more than a little tired of people like this.

The only moral X is my X.

ColdSnickersBar
Apr 7, 2005

Lord Hydronium posted:

I dunno, Freepers have actually touted phrenology before. I wouldn't be surprised to see this show up:

Heh. "Teutonic." Basically, descendants of Germanic peoples. If you just go back juuuuust a little further in history, you can see how Germans used to also be considered not-white (if you go back a looooong way in history, they're savage pale monsters that steal children and eat fallen Roman Legionaries on the battlefield).

It's amazing to me how, every time conservatives start to lose their base through a dying off of white people, all that ever happens is they embrace a new demographic as "actually totally white now". The shittiest thing of all is how the newly accepted people instantly forget how they were shat on for generations, and doublethink their way into believing they were always "white." Everyone involved pretends that generations of racism didn't exist at all, and conservative parties get a welcome injection of new members.

They are trying as hard as they possibly can to do this with Hispanic and Latino Americans right now.

ColdSnickersBar fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 12, 2014

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
GOP Report Concludes Military Could Not Have Changed Outcome in Benghazi

quote:

quote:

To: Nachum
What a load of crap from our fearless (ball less) GOP

4 posted on 2/12/2014 11:08:51 AM by clamper1797 (Evil WILL flourish when good men WILL not act)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

quote:

To: clamper1797
Do you personally know the military was told to stand down in Benghazi? Have any evidence? If there is no evidence, what do you want the House Republicans to do? Lie about it?

The report is damning enough if it says the administration’s ineptitude resulted in the deaths. Putting our citizens in a situation where the military can’t protect them isn’t quite as bad as telling the military to stand down, but it’s bad enough.

26 posted on 02/12/2014 9:23:02 AM PST by CitizenUSA (Sodomy and abortion: the only constitutional rights cherished by Democrats.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies ]

quote:

To: CitizenUSA
I can’t believe the military wouldn’t have helped. However, it’s true that there was no standdown order because they were never called in the first place. Some of those who knew what was going on offered to help, but they couldn’t do so without an order, and it never came.

That’s what the report is telling us.

39 posted on 02/12/2014 9:43:42 AM PST by livius
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 26 | View Replies ]

quote:

To: livius
“.....but they couldn’t do so without an order, and it never came.”
And that by definition is a ‘stand down’ order. The POTUS has to give a cross border order. He did not. This inaction is a ‘stand down’ order.

67 posted on 02/12/2014 10:51:48 AM PST by Chgogal (Obama "hung the SEALs out to dry, basically exposed them like a set of dog balls..." CMH)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 39 | View Replies ]

quote:

What a bunch of self-serving, appeasing BS tripe!

Did they just push out a paper report from their butt, or did they actually stand in front of somebody and have to stand up for and justify their conclusions?

I’ve said here often that you cannot trust anything anyone from any agency or part of this Federal Government says.

Apparently, that goes for so-called Republican or opposition interests, too. It actually appears to me that anyone within 50 miles of DC is a traitor or conspirator.

21 posted on 2/12/2014 11:18:00 AM by Gaffer (Comprehensive Immigration Reform is just another name for Comprehensive Capitulation)

quote:

Even IF they could not...the big question is why they NEVER tried to get there. Who called the stand down? Did Obama know? (he had to have been informed simply because of the nature of the terrorist attack), WHY did they stand down and never show up? WHO gave and WHO approved those orders? WHY the cover-up? Who told Susan Rice to follow the offensive video excuse? And WHO is being held ACCOUNTABLE Mr. Obama? You are more than an empty suit or an empty chair. You, Sir, are a traitor to the Constitution.

41 posted on 2/12/2014 11:44:12 AM by ThomasMore (Islam is the Whore of Babylon!)
----------------------------
White girl: 'I'm tired of being looked at like prey'

quote:

To: detective
Get over it white biotch. It’s payback time for all those years we’ve been slaves. Oh, wait. Didn’t that end a while back? And then restart with LBJ and the great society?

2 posted on 2/12/2014 11:25:37 AM by rktman (Under my plan(scheme),unemployment will necessarily skyrocket! Despite the % dropping. Period.)

quote:

Many, many years ago, I worked for a security company contracted to keep watch on the homes being renovated in the Baltimore project of Cherry Hill. Every night, locals were trying to break in and rip off appliances, copper pipe, or anything of value.
Nevermind the fact the homes were being renovated FOR THEM on the taxpayers dime. It was really pathetic.

6 posted on 2/12/2014 11:29:06 AM by edpc (Wilby 2016)

quote:

The fact is that she’s got legitimate concerns; it is also true that Obama, Holder right on down to the local black administrations in these cities do not care.

They all are more concerned in getting the votes of these feral animals and their families and friends than they are in exacting justice, preventing crimes and establishing a safe environment. Truth is truth. The only option is to arm yourself, and if you can’t do that, then move to somewhere these people aren’t in control and you can also arm yourself and protect yourself. We have moved past redemption of these places a long time ago.

12 posted on 2/12/2014 11:33:08 AM by Gaffer (Comprehensive Immigration Reform is just another name for Comprehensive Capitulation)

quote:

I thought all white girls today felt morally obligated to bed at least one well endowed black stud who ravages her to the point that puny pasty white biys are no longer....adequate

And its a twofer..she atones for her race

Was I wrong

Judging by TV commercials......there are few truly whites left

My very first day here...14 years ago.....poster Memphis belle...since zotted ....expounded that she felt the best way to racially heal was to breed whites and blacks into gray brown....she being oblivious how contentious shades war is in Latino nations

I objected to her altruistic miscegenation..that word was a real word before it got dirtied up.....plus it reeked of only way to fix blacks is to cut them with whites?

Is that not bigotry.....blacks rise or fall on white pro activity?

That lengthy flame war may still be out there if her posts not purged

We are now Brazil with more Orientals and slightly less crime

Hat tip Gen X Madison ave and Hollywood

BTW....we have Freepers here who kind of think like this...like interracial coupling is a badge of outreach

Newsflash....for me...it was just sex...and girls are all the same in that way pretty much anywhere once their drawers come off

And I’m still white....a holdout

20 posted on 2/12/2014 11:40:23 AM by wardaddy (Bus to Shreveport... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYF682WYRtw&feature=youtube_gdata_)

quote:

To: Alex Murphy
This [white woman] is prey?
I would say yes.

About once or twice a month our local newspapers carry a story about black thugs, usually teenagers, breaking into a home, beating and raping older white women 70, 80, 90 years old. Generally they end up killing them too.

Nothing is beneath these feral animals.

27 posted on 2/12/2014 11:46:53 AM by Iron Munro ("Show me the man, and I'll show you the crime." - Lavrentiy Beria (& Eric Holder))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

quote:

Pack heat, kill attackers, and if you can’t, leave.

50 posted on 2/12/2014 1:26:25 PM by Uncle Miltie (Mohammed was a pedophile and Islam is a Totalitarian Death Cult.)
----------------------------
GOP struggles to find 'yes' debt votes (Cornyn doesn't have enough GOP cloture votes for Reid)

quote:

To: vette6387
Criminals. History will not be kind to these irresponsible fools.

14 posted on 2/12/2014 1:00:02 PM by hal ogen (First Amendment or Reeducation Camp?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

quote:

To: hal ogen
the victors write the history

17 posted on 2/12/2014 1:01:36 PM by 12th_Monkey (One man one vote is a big fail, when the "one" man is an idiot.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

quote:

To: jimbo123
In WWII after France was liberated they shaved the heads of the Whore Collaborators then marched them down the streets in shame.

21 posted on 2/12/2014 1:04:36 PM by VRWCarea51

quote:

I think it is absolutely telling that Cornyn is whipping votes for the Dems.

3 posted on 2/12/2014 12:51:21 PM by Principled

quote:

To: Principled
Absolutely, and genius on Cruz’s part. Force the Rino’s out of the shadows of the senate and make them own their votes. If we want a strong conservative party to represent us we must purge congress of the Rinos who vote with the democrats. Then a conservative party can be a united force to deal with the commies.

Cruz is at this point the only potential presidential candidate that I would have any interest in voting for.

49 posted on 2/12/2014 1:36:20 PM by longfellowsmuse (last of the living nomads)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

quote:

“Cornyn was whipping votes and failed. So he had to vote for Cloture. So did McConnell.”

That is so awesome that Cruz forced the two leaders to push the vote over the top! You know they are seething!!!

63 posted on 2/12/2014 1:46:22 PM by cotton1706
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 58 | View Replies]

Freudian Slip?

quote:

quote:

To: mrsmith
I didn’t realize they needed 3/5ths!
Wow! Outstanding Mr Cruz (I presume)!

77 posted on 2/12/2014 1:56:43 PM by mrsmith (Dumb sluts: Lifeblood of the Media, Backbone of the Democrat Party!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 72 | View Replies]

quote:

To: mrsmith
They just needed 60. I misunderstood.

80 posted on 2/12/2014 1:59:58 PM by mrsmith (Dumb sluts: Lifeblood of the Media, Backbone of the Democrat Party!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 77 | View Replies]

quote:

In spite of the big talk show hosts and some Freepers, I don’t think America is paying attention. Most don’t even know what cloture means.

56 posted on 2/12/2014 1:42:50 PM by jch10 (John Beohner has got to be removed from the Speaker position.)

quote:

To: Jedidah
With boner stabbing us in the back and his little demonic pet peter king calling those that stand against tyranny... morons... I think that you can kiss that rino dream of a November win for the republican party goodbye. They are doing EVERYTHING in their power to stop any thinking Conservative from supporting any republican for reelection. Without the CONSERVATIVE BASE voting... the rats will win everything... hell... they are winning everything today.

91 posted on 2/12/2014 2:15:45 PM by LibLieSlayer (FROM MY COLD, DEAD HANDS! BETTER DEAD THAN RED!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Freeper's bald-faced racism has gone from funny, to depressing, to funny again.

"The blacks are stealin' our white wimmins!" :supaburn:

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Elephant Ambush posted:

Freepers love any movie about war. Even if it's very explicitly anti-war, they will interpret it as being pro-war anyway.

According to Roger Ebert, Mark Kermode, and a few other major film critics who reported him saying it; Francois Truffaut said it is impossible to make an anti-war film, because the medium of film itself tends to make war look exciting.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

quote:

In WWII after France was liberated they shaved the heads of the Whore Collaborators then marched them down the streets in shame.

Clearly the most admirable part of our history.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

That's a whole lotta writing for sentiments that could as easily be expressed in just fourteen words.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Captain_Maclaine posted:

That's a whole lotta writing for sentiments that could as easily be expressed in just fourteen words.

1: Around
2: blacks
3: never
4: relax

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Or a single word that starts with "N".

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Duke Igthorn posted:

1: Around
2: blacks
3: never
4: relax

Elephant Ambush posted:

Or a single word that starts with "N".

Well fine, if you reductionists want to ruin my "they are actually Nazis" fun.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
HERE IS THE JOKE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourteen_Words

THAT WAS THE JOKE

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Well fine, if you reductionists want to ruin my "they are actually Nazis" fun.

I got your joke, I just wanted to save time. :)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

e_angst posted:

According to Roger Ebert, Mark Kermode, and a few other major film critics who reported him saying it; Francois Truffaut said it is impossible to make an anti-war film, because the medium of film itself tends to make war look exciting.
Yep. The guy who wrote JARHEAD said he and his Marine unit watched Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket and the like to get pumped up during Iraq War I.

You can load up a film with all the war-is-a-pointless-waste subtext (or even text) that you can, but people will always be able to elide that and just concentrate on the HOLY poo poo DID YOU JUST SEE THAT GUY'S HEAD EXPLODE?!?!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's a comedy but Blackadder the 4th was a decent anti war show set during WWI. Actual fighting is never pictured, the only one who's buys the propaganda (and is like the kind of guys that watch Full Metal Jacket and miss the message) is the idiotic upper class officer who got his position based on his college education, and the conditions for everyone (except the officers at the top) are literally poo poo with no glorification. The finale is most of the characters being pushed over the top of the trenches to be shot but before any action it fades to a field of graves.

It's really hard to RAH RAH any of that poo poo.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Radish posted:

It's a comedy but Blackadder the 4th was a decent anti war show set during WWI. Actual fighting is never pictured, the only one who's buys the propaganda (and is like the kind of guys that watch Full Metal Jacket and miss the message) is the idiotic upper class officer who got his position based on his college education, and the conditions for everyone (except the officers at the top) are literally poo poo with no glorification. The finale is most of the characters being pushed over the top of the trenches to be shot but before any action it fades to a field of graves.

And nowadays British right-wing academics harrumph about "The Blackadder School" downplaying the necessity of Britannia stopping the vile Hun's march to world domination.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...

Kurtofan posted:

Clearly the most admirable part of our history.

They probably also approved of children of German soldiers being refused medical treatment.

Radish posted:

Suprisingly sober ending.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Radish posted:

Oh, my God. Blackadder Goes Forth has one of the most powerful endings I've ever seen for any show, much less a comedy. I know this is not a unique opinion, but it always hits me fresh when something makes me think of it. The cinematography is brilliant, like the enormous shadows thrown on the ground when Melchett does Darling the "favor" of letting him go to the front, and that episode showcases how great the acting really is, how much range all the leads really have. Blackadder's completely empty and hopeless attempts to get out at the last second are hilarious and heartbreaking, and we know that he knows just as well as we do that there is no hope, whatsoever, of dodging his fate.

Edit: ^^ Or, you could go with "Surprisingly sober ending," which is also accurate.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Michael "Chapped Ducklips Fuckface" Gove posted:

The conflict has, for many, been seen through the fictional prism of dramas such as Oh, What a Lovely War!, The Monocled Mutineer and Blackadder, as a misbegotten shambles - a series of catastrophic mistakes perpetrated by an out-of-touch elite. Even to this day there are left-wing academics all too happy to feed those myths.

I long to send all Tories "over the top" with nothing but a swagger stick.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kavak posted:

And nowadays British right-wing academics harrumph about "The Blackadder School" downplaying the necessity of Britannia stopping the vile Hun's march to world domination.

You're undermining the war effort!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Kavak posted:

How do they avoid being strangled when they present their viewpoint at an academic conference? Is everyone just too shocked and polite to be the first one to jump up and yell, "Hang the bastard!"? Or do they sneak out while all of the actual historians are out feverishly searching for a rope?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Zeroisanumber posted:

How do they avoid being strangled when they present their viewpoint at an academic conference? Is everyone just too shocked and polite to be the first one to jump up and yell, "Hang the bastard!"? Or do they sneak out while all of the actual historians are out feverishly searching for a rope?

I'm basing this off the editorials and press coverage I've seen leading up to the 100th anniversary of the war. I doubt it has much traction in actual academia.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah, it's been awful to see the attempt at Whitewashing. Someone posted an article from the BBC a few weeks back now in the Awful Editorials thread. I love the notion that because Douglas Haig was apparently popular with the troops even after the war that somehow all criticism of him must than ring hollow to be absurd.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Kavak posted:

To be entirely fair, the arguments I've seen as to why Britain should have stayed out of the war are regularly absurd to the point of rejecting reality. Any notion that Britain and Imperial Germany could have coexisted peacefully for long is not supported by any historical evidence whatsoever.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

ArchangeI posted:

To be entirely fair, the arguments I've seen as to why Britain should have stayed out of the war are regularly absurd to the point of rejecting reality. Any notion that Britain and Imperial Germany could have coexisted peacefully for long is not supported by any historical evidence whatsoever.

What are these arguments?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

ArchangeI posted:

I don't see why, they both suffered underneath the yoke of a German monarch.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Kavak posted:

What are these arguments?
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/30/britain-first-world-war-biggest-error-niall-ferguson

"Britain could have lived with a German victory", "We had no Army", "We should have waited until Germany took over all of Europe, then attack", "Our colonies left because of THE DEBT"

The man teaches history at Havard.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Poor Britain, tricked into centuries of pursuing militarism, imperialism, and conquest by the cunning Hun!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

ArchangeI posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/30/britain-first-world-war-biggest-error-niall-ferguson

"Britain could have lived with a German victory", "We had no Army", "We should have waited until Germany took over all of Europe, then attack", "Our colonies left because of THE DEBT"

I believe the Germany of 1914 was in many ways significantly different in terms of policy goals and demonic inspiration than the Germany of 1939. What positive effects do you think WWI had on Britain?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yeah, I'm not seeing how that's a completely wacky suggestion, and considering the role that the aftermath of WWI played in building towards the European portion of WWII, he might have a point when arguing against British involvement.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

ArchangeI posted:

I'll agree with that first one, in the sense that Germany posed no existential threat to Britain, but there was no way in hell the British government was going to let that happen.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Nessus posted:

I believe the Germany of 1914 was in many ways significantly different in terms of policy goals and demonic inspiration than the Germany of 1939. What positive effects do you think WWI had on Britain?

Not having to fight a war against Germany one on one, after Germany had been able to pour even more resources into the fleet they explicitly built to fight Britain. If Britain was at all interested in maintaining the balance of power on the continent, WWI was the time to fight. Why wait until Germany has beaten its main adversaries on land and can focus on building up its fleet? I can not come up with a scenario where a Germany, flush with victory against its main adversaries, then turns around and goes back to peaceful coexistence with the sole remaining Great Power in Europe. Not with Wilhelm II on the helm, at any rate. Nor can I come up with a scenario in which a German victory and hegemony on the continent is at all favorable for Britain.

Yes, the Germany of 1914 was not the Germany of 1939, but it was still a country that desperately wanted to become a global power, a country in which Jews were in many ways second class citizens, and a country that worshiped the military and which sought to resolve international crisis by force. And it needs to be noted that the attack on France and Belgium had been planned for decades, even in the case of a war solely against Russia.

Calling the conduct of the war into question is one thing, calling the decision to go to war wrong, in my opinion, shows a deep lack of understanding of historical reality (and Ferguson doesn't even understand the difference, he pretty much claims that because the war was fought poorly, they never should have gone to war at all).

Britain wasn't an innocent, peaceful country cruely forced to defend its honor, nor was Germany a bunch of bloodthirsty savages looking to burn down Western civilization. But perhaps there are some nuances to the whole thing, you know, the things that Freepers can't comprehend.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

ArchangeI posted:

Not having to fight a war against Germany one on one, after Germany had been able to pour even more resources into the fleet they explicitly built to fight Britain. If Britain was at all interested in maintaining the balance of power on the continent, WWI was the time to fight. Why wait until Germany has beaten its main adversaries on land and can focus on building up its fleet? I can not come up with a scenario where a Germany, flush with victory against its main adversaries, then turns around and goes back to peaceful coexistence with the sole remaining Great Power in Europe. Not with Wilhelm II on the helm, at any rate. Nor can I come up with a scenario in which a German victory and hegemony on the continent is at all favorable for Britain.
So do you think then that Germany would have built up a fleet to invade Britain? Can you provide some sort of a source for this considering that Old Adolf didn't even make a serious try? Even assuming they'd beaten France, do you think they would have just permanently occupied France as opposed to taking its colonies and Alsace-Lorraine (or possibly France, lacking British military support, negotiating a peace)? These would not be "good" things, of course. They might, however, be preferable to World War I.

quote:

Yes, the Germany of 1914 was not the Germany of 1939, but it was still a country that desperately wanted to become a global power, a country in which Jews were in many ways second class citizens, and a country that worshiped the military and which sought to resolve international crisis by force. And it needs to be noted that the attack on France and Belgium had been planned for decades, even in the case of a war solely against Russia.
Sounds like America then :v: As for the Jewish matter, I had thought that Imperial Germany, while perhaps not pro-Jew, was not exactly dripping with constant anti-Semitism. The Dreyfus Affair had been in France, you know.

quote:

Calling the conduct of the war into question is one thing, calling the decision to go to war wrong, in my opinion, shows a deep lack of understanding of historical reality (and Ferguson doesn't even understand the difference, he pretty much claims that because the war was fought poorly, they never should have gone to war at all).

Britain wasn't an innocent, peaceful country cruely forced to defend its honor, nor was Germany a bunch of bloodthirsty savages looking to burn down Western civilization. But perhaps there are some nuances to the whole thing, you know, the things that Freepers can't comprehend.
Considering the sheer human cost of the war, particularly for Britain, I think he has a point, and I think further this may be a better topic for some other thread :shobon:

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Nessus posted:

So do you think then that Germany would have built up a fleet to invade Britain? Can you provide some sort of a source for this considering that Old Adolf didn't even make a serious try? Even assuming they'd beaten France, do you think they would have just permanently occupied France as opposed to taking its colonies and Alsace-Lorraine (or possibly France, lacking British military support, negotiating a peace)? These would not be "good" things, of course. They might, however, be preferable to World War I.

Imperial Germany specifically built its High Seas Fleet to fight Britain. Its Battleships didn't have the range to operate outside the North Sea. You don't have to invade a country to bring it to its knees. An island nation like Britain can be starved into submission by cutting the sea lanes that transport food and other necessary goods to it. Which is what you need a fleet for. As for France, Imperial Germany already possessed Alsace-Lorraine (taken after the war of 1870). they would probably have taken over the colonies, yes. There would also have been grueling war indemnities levied on France and maybe a forced disarmament as well as the destruction of fortresses, leaving France in no position to fight Germany again.

quote:

Sounds like America then :v: As for the Jewish matter, I had thought that Imperial Germany, while perhaps not pro-Jew, was not exactly dripping with constant anti-Semitism. The Dreyfus Affair had been in France, you know.

Jewish men were widely considered effeminate and often rejected from military service because of "poor physique". Since a commission as a reserve officer was practically a necessity to be considered for higher civil service, this meant that there was in practicality a glass ceiling for Jews. Besides, do you really think the anti-semitism of the Third Reich appeared overnight?

quote:

Considering the sheer human cost of the war, particularly for Britain, I think he has a point, and I think further this may be a better topic for some other thread :shobon:

The Military History thread in A/T already discussed it and pretty much came to the same conclusion. But I agree, the freep thread isn't the place for it.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Do we have any new Freeper posts? I'd rather a D&D thread was generated to handle WW1 discussion (If a mod questions, point out the upcoming Centennial).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
On the drive to work this morning NPR did a short report about religious cleansings in a Central African country, lately of the Christian majority lynching Muslims by the dozens. Has Freep heard of this? It seems like something they'd circle-jerk over. :smith:

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Feb 13, 2014

• Locked thread