Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

People actually live up in the UP?! Assuming you live in Marquette, you definitely don't have much ammo unless you don't mind taking trips to Wisconsin for some New Glarus.

Odd Side really has been knocking it out of the park - it's nice to see a Michigan brewery get a little creative and bottle some more interesting beers. I just wish they'd up the speciality malts and make their stouts thicker. A little higher ABV wouldn't hurt, either.

Yup I live in Marquette, and rather hilariously I was in Wisconsin only a month ago & came back with about three cases of various things, such as a full selection of New Glarus fruit beers, Louie's Reserve and CW BB stout. But hey, my local intel said that there were three cases of Black Note allotted to the entire UP last year which means that if/when it comes out this year I should be able to get several servings, since I'm apparently one of like five beer nerds in the entire county.

Totally agree about Oddside. I mean I already said it, and everyone else on the internet said it too, but I can't see why they wouldn't work on making the stouts thicker and stronger when like half of all their offerings are stouts. But in terms of exotic flavors, they have been nailing it. Now I just need to find some Citra Pale Ale that isn't 5 months old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

funkybottoms posted:

think i might've found the new worst brewery logo ever:

no idea why they're so patriotic about the European Union, either.
That looks like the splash screen from a bad dungeon crawler c. 1990.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Hauki posted:

That looks like the splash screen from a bad dungeon crawler c. 1990.

I'd play that.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Opened Kudosx's Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Bairille Aois because today was an awesome ski day and I wanted an awesome beer. Totally delivered. The barrel character was really sublime, extremely smooth and perfectly blended with the stout. Definitely one of the better BA Imperial Stouts I've had really due to the elegance of the barrel characteristics. Yum.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Did up a "final" photo gallery of my Nov/Jan road trip with descriptions and a map route if you're interested:
http://imgur.com/a/GIRh9

A few awards, pulled out of my arse so don't expect great science.

Best Beer: Praise Bee (Tired Hands). Hands down. Magic that I guess I'll have to take with me to the grave.

Best [pure] Brewery: Jester King. Again hands down. I felt they missed too much when they first opened but I am now a total fanboy.

Best Brewpub: It is so hard to pick this but I'll go out on a limb and say Chuckanut Brewery in WA. No fancy ingredients or gimmicks, just great beer paired with great food. Prohibition Pig in VT gets a close second.

Best Garage Brewery: Hess, San Diego, CA

Best Beer Bar [assuming infinite budget]: Novare Res, Portland, ME

Best Beer Bar [non-Belgian]: I visited a lot I liked, but I still have to go with The Old Fashioned (Madison, WI) in the end, with Avenue Pub in New Orleans a close second.

Worst Brewery: The Mitten, Grand Rapids, MI, where everything tastes the same or your money back.

Best Building/Space: Very hard to pick between Jester King or Brewery Vivant. I'll go for Vivant because I'm sure JK is insufferable in the summer.

Best Beer City that's Not Portland: San Diego, CA (2nd: Philadelphia)

Best Smaller Beer Town that's Not Bend: Burlington, VT (2nd: Grand Rapids)

Biggest Surprise: Missoula, MT. Best down-home town to drink world-class brown ale in worldwide. 2nd is Birmingham, AL, home of good-enough beer distribution and two different breweries that put out great IPAs.

Best Picture:

SUPER HASSLER fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 12, 2014

cereal eater
Aug 25, 2008

I'd save these, if I wanted too

ps i dont deserve my 'king' nickname

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Biggest Surprise: Missoula, MT. Best down-home town to drink world-class brown ale in worldwide. 2nd is Birmingham, AL, home of good-enough beer distribution and two different breweries that put out great IPAs.

Can't agree more. Kettlehouse, Bayern, Big sky, tamarack, flathead, and my personal favorite (located a cool ~20 minutes from Missoula), Blacksmiths in Stevensville. Throw in the Rhino as the "beer bar" downtown, and Wardens as the local bottleshop, and you've got everything a local could want in a city... well, aside from solid production/distribution of sours. But when you have a few breweries and multiple bars providing local and fresh beer within walking distance, there is little to complain about.

drat, I miss that place.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Philly goons, I'm going to the Mutter Museum on Sunday. Any good beer/food places I should check out? I'm not usually in that part of the city so I don't know any cool places close by.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Great write-up and pictures, I'm really surprised you didn't hit up Ebenezer's Pub in Maine.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Midorka posted:

Philly goons, I'm going to the Mutter Museum on Sunday. Any good beer/food places I should check out? I'm not usually in that part of the city so I don't know any cool places close by.

Tria Taproom just opened a few months ago on 21st and Walnut (not to be confused with Tria on 18th and Spruce). It's like 2 blocks from the Mutter Museum and they have been getting a lot of buzz.

If you are somehow hungry after visiting the Mutter Museum, Village Whiskey has amazing food, but it's Jose Garces so it can get pricey. But well worth it. Their burger is consistently rated highly and they make an excellent lobster roll. Plus an awesome selection of whiskey. Not so much a beer place but figured I'd include it because it deserves the hype/praise it gets.

The Bards is hit or miss. They're one of those "real Irish pub" bars so they occasionally get crowded with douchnozzles, but they have good taps and food. It's hit or miss.

The Dandelion is one of the coziest places I can think of in that area. It's a Stephen Starr english pub. The food is traditional English fare and they always have a good selection english bitters, milds, and pub ales on tap (a style I've become increasingly fond of over the past year).

You're also only a few blocks from Monk's, Jose Pistolas, Nodding Head, Good Dog, Misconduct, and Perch Pub. But enough has been said about those places already. You know they're good.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

I am infinitely jealous of your trip, and I'm surprised you didn't have an award for "biggest shitshow" and award it to that Whole Foods event...

nah
Mar 16, 2009

funkybottoms posted:

think i might've found the new worst brewery logo ever:

no idea why they're so patriotic about the European Union, either.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

HatfulOfHollow posted:

If you are somehow hungry after visiting the Mutter Museum

Nonsense, I'm sure Einstein would have loved a few beers and some frites shared over his brain.

crazyfish posted:

I am infinitely jealous of your trip, and I'm surprised you didn't have an award for "biggest shitshow" and award it to that Whole Foods event...

I'm still not sure anything beats the fruit beer fest I went to last summer in Portland where it was too crowded to move and there was nothing to do except sweat and drink while waiting shoulder-to-shoulder in line.

SUPER HASSLER fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 12, 2014

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

I've always been partial to the logo for the place that advertises in Zymurgy:

"Hey, the name of the place and a mug of brew. Perfect. NOW ADD AN OVAL THAT KINDA CUTS OFF THE WORDS. Superperfect."

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

SUPER HASSLER posted:

I'm still not sure anything beats the fruit beer fest I went to last summer in Portland where it was too crowded to move and there was nothing to do except sweat and drink while waiting shoulder-to-shoulder in line.

At GI's 25th Anniversary Block Party last August, it was so crowded that we actually couldn't get beer after a certain point. And that wasn't even for the "rare" stuff. For standard Destihl releases (the sours were long gone; we smartly hit that first thing before they let in an extra few thousand people), there ended up being about an hour wait. That's the point at which we decided to leave. Seriously the most poorly run event I've ever attended.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

SUPER HASSLER posted:

I was very close to going to that, glad I didn't.

BlackHattingMachine
Mar 24, 2006
Choking, quick with the Heimlich!
Anybody here heading to the beer fest in Manitowoc this Saturday?

http://manitowocjaycees.org/17th-annual-beer-lovers-brewfest/

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

At GI's 25th Anniversary Block Party last August, it was so crowded that we actually couldn't get beer after a certain point. And that wasn't even for the "rare" stuff. For standard Destihl releases (the sours were long gone; we smartly hit that first thing before they let in an extra few thousand people), there ended up being about an hour wait. That's the point at which we decided to leave. Seriously the most poorly run event I've ever attended.

Not to mention that a huge chunk of the breweries there ran out of beer after an hour, which massively compounded the line problems for the breweries that still had beer. Also took almost 40 minutes to get in to the event after it started, meaning that the 3 hour event was effectively 3 hours, minus 40 minutes to get in, minus however long the wait was when the event ended.

They gave us 20 or so drink tickets, which sounds great on paper for a $25 event, but I was able to use only four before we bailed.

edit: Here's the goon testimony from that party if you feel like reliving the pain: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3470054&pagenumber=350&perpage=40#post415616694

crazyfish fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 12, 2014

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

SUPER HASSLER posted:

You forgot to mention the loud, terrible music. Yeah, I'm really sorry I recommended that. I promise it wasn't always such a poo poo show in past years.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

krustster posted:

I got some pretty good tapes recently.

Hold on what does this even mean

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

ShaneB posted:

Hold on what does this even mean

He speaks his own language. Beer is "tape" for some reason that has never been explained.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

HatfulOfHollow posted:

He speaks his own language. Beer is "tape" for some reason that has never been explained.

That's dumb.

broom
Aug 29, 2005

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Best Beer Bar [non-Belgian]: I visited a lot I liked, but I still have to go with The Old Fashioned (Madison, WI)

Really! Why? Super impressive WI only draft line-up, sure. Nothing too crazy beyond a wide selection though, and it really is more of a restaurant than beer bar. Plus the restaurant is so popular (and rightfully so) but they don't take reservations so the bar is always so crowded with people waiting to eat. Ive never had a chill beer bar type experience there, and the bartenders tend to not know much about the ever changing beer line-up.

Dont get me wrongs, I am glad you liked it, it is a Madison institution and I like taking out of town guests there (also the beer is cheap), but I can think of ~3 bars 'better' for beer within a mile. And Avenue Pub in New Orleans to me is in a different league.

fake edit: I retract all negative comments, just looked at their current tap list and they have 4 dollar Central Waters BB Stout pints! And they have two for one taps from 3-5 and after 10 weekdays. Wow!

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

broom posted:

Really! Why? Super impressive WI only draft line-up, sure. Nothing too crazy beyond a wide selection though, and it really is more of a restaurant than beer bar. Plus the restaurant is so popular (and rightfully so) but they don't take reservations so the bar is always so crowded with people waiting to eat. Ive never had a chill beer bar type experience there, and the bartenders tend to not know much about the ever changing beer line-up.

Dont get me wrongs, I am glad you liked it, it is a Madison institution and I like taking out of town guests there (also the beer is cheap), but I can think of ~3 bars 'better' for beer within a mile. And Avenue Pub in New Orleans to me is in a different league.

fake edit: I retract all negative comments, just looked at their current tap list and they have 4 dollar Central Waters BB Stout pints! And they have two for one taps from 3-5 and after 10 weekdays. Wow!

Ha ha, I like how your opinion of the place changed fully from the start to the end of the post.

Seriously I'm sure a lot of it is because I'm a tourist and Old Fashioned pushes all the right doncha-know WI buttons for me in one place. That and I had only one night in WI this time around. If I had more I'd spend a little more time in Madison definitely, wanted to visit that new place in Ale Asylum's old building.

I love Avenue too, it's a hard decision between the two (and I should probably add HopCat in this discussion too).

SUPER HASSLER fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 12, 2014

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

ShaneB posted:

That's dumb.

You just don't know how to blast tapes.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Best Brewpub: It is so hard to pick this but I'll go out on a limb and say Chuckanut Brewery in WA. No fancy ingredients or gimmicks, just great beer paired with great food.

So annoyed I didn't make it here when I was in Bellingham for a wedding a few years ago. Unfortunately we didn't have our own car and I couldn't talk anyone into taking us :saddowns: The Brewing Network guys have been raving about it for a long time.

broom
Aug 29, 2005

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Ha ha, I like how your opinion of the place changed fully from the start to the end of the post.

Seriously I'm sure a lot of it is because I'm a tourist and Old Fashioned pushes all the right doncha-know WI buttons for me in one place. That and I had only one night in WI this time around. If I had more I'd spend a little more time in Madison definitely, wanted to visit that new place in Ale Asylum's old building.

I love Avenue too, it's a hard decision between the two (and I should probably add HopCat in this discussion too).

Ha, yeah. I first saw it on your list and was really confused, the more I thought about it the more I softened and actually looking at the tap list they have stuff that I would not have expected them to have (Dave's BrewFarm, Black Husky, Titletown Brewing). It is still too crowded though!

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

HatfulOfHollow posted:

You just don't know how to blast tapes.

Hey cut him some slack, it takes a while to get the technique down.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Let's talk beer 4: Tape Blasting MEGATHREAD

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I ignored him a while ago. Now I don't have to have Superman glare at me like he has something up his rear end nor do I see much about blasting or tape. It's a wonderful life.

broom
Aug 29, 2005
Let's talk beer 4: GWS, 80% Beer Threads

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I'd read Let's talk beer 4: You just don't know how to blast tapes.

Inaction Jackson
Feb 28, 2009

broom posted:

Dont get me wrongs, I am glad you liked it, it is a Madison institution and I like taking out of town guests there (also the beer is cheap), but I can think of ~3 bars 'better' for beer within a mile.
I'm actually planning on taking a trip with my wife up to Wisconsin, so I'd be interested in hearing what they are. So far all we know for sure is that we're going to spend a night in Des Moines, go to Toppling Goliath on our way to Wisconsin, spend a day or two in Madison/New Glarus and probably another day or two in Milwaukee. We know nothing about Wisconsin, so any advice on breweries and bars in Wisconsin (or between Wisconsin and Kansas City) would be awesome.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Tria Taproom just opened a few months ago on 21st and Walnut (not to be confused with Tria on 18th and Spruce). It's like 2 blocks from the Mutter Museum and they have been getting a lot of buzz.

If you are somehow hungry after visiting the Mutter Museum, Village Whiskey has amazing food, but it's Jose Garces so it can get pricey. But well worth it. Their burger is consistently rated highly and they make an excellent lobster roll. Plus an awesome selection of whiskey. Not so much a beer place but figured I'd include it because it deserves the hype/praise it gets.

The Bards is hit or miss. They're one of those "real Irish pub" bars so they occasionally get crowded with douchnozzles, but they have good taps and food. It's hit or miss.

The Dandelion is one of the coziest places I can think of in that area. It's a Stephen Starr english pub. The food is traditional English fare and they always have a good selection english bitters, milds, and pub ales on tap (a style I've become increasingly fond of over the past year).

You're also only a few blocks from Monk's, Jose Pistolas, Nodding Head, Good Dog, Misconduct, and Perch Pub. But enough has been said about those places already. You know they're good.

Thanks!

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

danbanana posted:

I thought charging $2/bottle for water was a nice touch myself. That event was really atrocious. I'm also saying that as someone who got to try more or less everything I wanted to. Personally, my favorite part of the event was when they let people in...who then literally sprinted to where the Bourbon County was. Beer nerds are really the worst.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Compusaurus posted:

Personally, my favorite part of the event was when they let people in...who then literally sprinted to where the Bourbon County was. Beer nerds are really the worst.

If they can actually run, they're not actually beer nerds.

broom
Aug 29, 2005

Inaction Jackson posted:

I'm actually planning on taking a trip with my wife up to Wisconsin, so I'd be interested in hearing what they are. So far all we know for sure is that we're going to spend a night in Des Moines, go to Toppling Goliath on our way to Wisconsin, spend a day or two in Madison/New Glarus and probably another day or two in Milwaukee. We know nothing about Wisconsin, so any advice on breweries and bars in Wisconsin (or between Wisconsin and Kansas City) would be awesome.

I can do a fuller write up at some point but for bars in Madison I'd recommend The Malt House, Maduro's (allows cigar smoke), Brasserie V, Dexter's Pub, Brickhouse BBQ (BBQ is pretty bad), Alchemy Cafe. For breweries/brew pubs there are several that are pretty middle of the road, or are new and seem to be improving but are still not that good. The only two I can really recommend visiting are Karben4 and Ale Asylum both a few miles east of downtown. I am probably forgetting some, will give it more thought later.

broom fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 12, 2014

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

Well I'm 0 for 2 in terms of beer lotteries these last few weeks. No Kern Citra for me!

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Zam posted:

Well I'm 0 for 2 in terms of beer lotteries these last few weeks. No Kern Citra for me!

Same but I content myself with the knowledge that I don't have to make that terrible drive again. Probably just going to Alpine instead.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
The Old Fashioned has house made pickled eggs (spicy and non-spicy) so that makes it a great bar for me. Of course a night of pickled eggs, curds and beer kinda wrecks your poo poo the next day but it's awesome while it's happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Let's Talk Beer 4: So You Think You Can Blast Tapes (Brother)