Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Ferdinand #502 lost an idler to Voroshilov's Kilogram at Ponyri, was abandoned by the crew, and later sent to Kubinka for ballistics trials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Looking nice! Can't wait to see what you do for weathering.

One thing that I really noticed about armour modeling is that people tend to go waaaaay overboard on the weathering and rusting. It seems that most models that have included weathering are rustier than photos of tanks found in the backwoods of Romania and the Ukraine in the 1980's.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land

Blistex posted:

If you guys are interested, I can post some pictures of before/after driving trough mud effects on tracks.

I've experienced some interesting stuff, like one side being caked in completely; and the other just splattered.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Blistex posted:

One thing that I really noticed about armour modeling is that people tend to go waaaaay overboard on the weathering and rusting. It seems that most models that have included weathering are rustier than photos of tanks found in the backwoods of Romania and the Ukraine in the 1980's.

One observation I've read about hobbies that has always stuck with me is that the logical end-game of any hobby is one-upmanship. So people go absolutely nuts with weathering.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Nebakenezzer posted:

One observation I've read about hobbies that has always stuck with me is that the logical end-game of any hobby is one-upmanship. So people go absolutely nuts with weathering.

My favourite "one-upmanship" is the guy who scratchbuilt an entire 1:32 Tiger 1, including the springs in the seats and the details that were sealed in locations you could never see.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Nebakenezzer posted:

I have half an ISU with no tracks to practice my weathering one-upmanship on. I'm going to scratchbuild some external parts to make it look like actually half a tank, and not just an empty shell.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Ferdinand #502 lost an idler to Voroshilov's Kilogram at Ponyri, was abandoned by the crew, and later sent to Kubinka for ballistics trials.

Great! so the tank I'm spending hours modelling just threw a idler and then was used as cheap target practice...mint. Seriously though, thanks for the info that's really interesting.

Started the chipping tonight, again something I'm not really that well versed with but all in all so far I'm pretty happy with how this project is turning out.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Well to be fair it wasn't so much threw an idler as it was lost one to a fuckoff large anti-tank grenade.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

My dry transfers arrived today :toot: Hey, Ensign Expendable, if it's not too much to ask, can you translate these so I know what the hell I'm putting on my T-34?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I like the Ferdinand, the paint chips are very good, but not excessive in number. How are you doing them?

Commissar Canuck posted:

My dry transfers arrived today :toot: Hey, Ensign Expendable, if it's not too much to ask, can you translate these so I know what the hell I'm putting on my T-34?

From the top:
Khabarovsk Komsomol member
Dmitriy Donskoy (Dmitriy of the Don)
Moskow Kolkhoz member
Moskov Kolkhoz member (one line)
Lembitu
Marshal Cholbalsan
Chelyabinsk Kolkhoz members
Revolutionary Mongolia

If you raised enough money to pay for a tank, you got to name it, which is why there are a lot of tanks named after kolkhozes. Once I get back to my books, I might be able to tell you specifically when/where those tanks fought.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Was hoping for "This Machine Kills Fascists"

GreenDragon42
Apr 29, 2009

Well, it's been 8 months since the last time I've released an update to Scale Model Helper, which is a lot longer than what I've been planning. I was having problems creating what I wanted with the application, and work was busy, so I didn't had much free time left. I did however managed to solve the technical problems, and I have more free time, so hopefully the next updates won't take as long.

Since it's been so long, here's a quick reminder of what is Scale Model Helper. Scale Model Helper is intended to help the scale model builders and miniature painters in their every needs, from color selection and matching, to scale model building to-do and shopping lists, whether you’re building armor, aircraft, ships, cars or trains. There is an online version at online version and an Android version.

Here are the changes in this version:
- Added P3 colors
- I've added support for marking colors in your inventory. It's very basic right now (you can see an example of how it works here, but will serve as a base for other online and shared content features that I'm planning. I'm using facebook as the identification mechanism as I didn't want to deal with usernames and passwords for now. An important feature is that this inventory is shared across both the online and the Android version if you login to facebook on each application.
- I've started a UserVoice site for Scale Model Helper. UserVoice is a site that lets me get feedback from people with bug reports and more importantly, ideas and features that they're interested in seeing in the next version, so I can have a better idea of what to work on next. The main portal for it is here, give it a look, browse around, and vote / post about ideas and features you'd like to see next.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I totally just remembered this is a thing and I got a tablet for my birthday not too long ago so I shall install post-haste and give it a field test over the weekend.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Just throwing this out there, but if anyone is interested in different types of modeling, and film/tv practical effects, engineering, painting stuff, you should check out the Stan Winston School of Character Arts website. You can sign up for a paid account, but you get a 3-day free trial, during which you can watch as many of their videos as you want. Just cancel before the 3 days are up, and you won't be charged.

There's tons of vids on everything from mold making, to animatronics, to maquette painting, chroming, sculpting, fabrication; seriously, just a poo poo ton of seriously cool stuff. A lot of the painting stuff can be translated to static armor modeling, and there's even a few useful vids like choosing an airbrush and how to use and maintain it, and setting up a workshop. Beyond that though, if you have even a passing interest in any of this stuff, it's hours and hours of crazy behind the scenes stuff of professional effects artists. Hell, you may never need to know how to create a cable-controlled tentacle effect, but it's drat cool watching how it's done.

Check out Jordu Schell's Creature Design vids as a nice intro. He's a funny guy and makes things easy to understand. Shannon Shea's stuff is great too, as he's really easy going and has fun with the material. Shane Mahan has a few vids up too I believe; much more serious guy, but he's one of the originals from Winstons studio and has some great insights into effects. Plus you get to see loads of pictures of a young Mahan constantly wearing jorts (he may be a nevernude).

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Soviet camo paint samples discovered in archives:

4БО (4BO) is the base "Soviet green", 6K is dark brown, 7K is yellow khaki, 4K is also a Soviet colour that was used briefly, dropped somewhere at the start of WWII, and then picked up again post-war.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

I like the Ferdinand, the paint chips are very good, but not excessive in number. How are you doing them?

From the top:
Khabarovsk Komsomol member
Dmitriy Donskoy (Dmitriy of the Don)
Moskow Kolkhoz member
Moskov Kolkhoz member (one line)
Lembitu
Marshal Cholbalsan
Chelyabinsk Kolkhoz members
Revolutionary Mongolia

If you raised enough money to pay for a tank, you got to name it, which is why there are a lot of tanks named after kolkhozes. Once I get back to my books, I might be able to tell you specifically when/where those tanks fought.

Thanks a lot for translating those! The sheet's for T-34/76 and 85s along with KV-1s, so I'd just be happy with having one that linked up to a T-34/76. Failing that, it's probably going to be one of the two bad rear end military leaders that fought foreign invaders :black101:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Oh, right, I promised you details.

Khabarovsk Komsomol member: T-34-76 model 1942 flamethrower tanks paid for by donations from citizens of the Khabarovsk region.
Dmitriy Donskoy (Dmitriy of the Don): 19 T-34-85 (38th Independent Tank Regiment) and 21 T-34 flamethrower tanks (516th Independent Flamethrower Regiment), paid for by donations of clergy and churchgoers.
Moscow Kolkhoz member: KV-1S tanks purchased for the 59th Independent Tank Regiment in late 1942, or T-34-76 mod. 1942 and T-70 tanks, also purchased around the same time (I can't tell you which version is which though).
Lembitu: 37 T-34-85s paid for by donations from Estonian citizens, entered the 1st Tank Insterburg Red Banner Corps in March of 1945
Marshal Cholbalsan: T-34-76 mod. 1942, 112th Tank Brigade, Kursk. A part of the Revolutionary Mongolia tank column. There is a picture of it.
Chelyabinsk Kolkhoz member (my book has it in the singular): 150 tanks of an unspecified type paid for by donations from Kirov factory workers. Joined the 112th Tank Brigade on New Year 1943.
Revolutionary Mongolia: column of T-34 and T-70 tanks paid for by Mongolian donations. Entered the 112th Red Banner Tank Brigade (later 44th Guards Tank Birgade) on January 12th, 1943

There you go, plenty of colourful history to choose from.

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 8, 2014

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Kawanishi H6K 'Mavis' flying boat. 1/72nd scale, Hasagewa.

A pretty old kit, probably good when it was made; some nice surface detail, but the fit of some of the parts was terrible. Most of the windows didn't fit, the strutwork was a nightmare. Two of the props were broken when I got it. Still, I've got an H6K and you haven't. It's also loving huge - Gladiator at the same scale.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

Crusader III (basically) complete! :britain:

I just need to figure out a good way to paint the headlights, anyone have any recommendations?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Commissar Canuck posted:

Crusader III (basically) complete! :britain:

I just need to figure out a good way to paint the headlights, anyone have any recommendations?

Hollow them out with a dremel, paint the inside silver, and fill with clear epoxy?

Also I don't think I have ever seen someone model a Crusader before. Might seem daunting with all the rivets.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Beauty job on the Crusader! I'm a sucker for anything in Desert Yellow.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
Finished the weathering on the Ferdinand. Added oil stains to the font engine deck, did the details/tracks and added dry and splashed mud to the running gear and lower hull. Very close to finishing now, hopefully tomorrow night. The pictures are fairly crap but its dark here. Will hopefully take some in the day light soon.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Looking good!

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

About 2 weeks ago I completed my first full model in over 10 years. It's a Tamiya 1/48 Tiger I, which I'll put a word in for the series as being very simple yet with adequate detail. It's pretty darn basic stuff compared to the stuff you guys are doing, but it's all hand-painted and I got a pretty smooth finish so I'm fairly proud.

Tamiya's recommended colour for tracks is way too shiny though.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

RillAkBea posted:

About 2 weeks ago I completed my first full model in over 10 years. It's a Tamiya 1/48 Tiger I, which I'll put a word in for the series as being very simple yet with adequate detail. It's pretty darn basic stuff compared to the stuff you guys are doing, but it's all hand-painted and I got a pretty smooth finish so I'm fairly proud.

Tamiya's recommended colour for tracks is way too shiny though.

Nice job!

I always try to add a little metallic sheen to tracks and cables an' such, but maybe just painting it grey would be better? I do know that the real things started off shiny and metallic, but I just don't have idea idea of how they should look in scale.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

old-school metallic sheen is rubbing ground graphite from a pencil on the piece.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Jonny Nox posted:

old-school metallic sheen is rubbing ground graphite from a pencil on the piece.
I have a huge 6B pencil for doing exactly that.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I find that dry brushing silver sometimes works, but graphite does wonders on some parts.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've been wanting to "lube" some of my wheels and people say to rub a pencil on it but it doesn't seem to work very well. Should I make sure to get a certain type of pencil for this?

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
You can get powdered graphite from art stores. I also believe you can get it in little bottles that you can puff it in with from hardware stores.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Mig Pigments - Gun Metal works really well rubbed onto the edges with a finger tip.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Seeing MIG pigments like 'Kursk Mud' 'Caucasian Mud' and others worries me that someday I'm going to become spergy enough to want to match loving mud.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
Is there a scale model equivalent of a bitz sellers? Like if I'm looking for a specific turret etc without having to buy the whole kit?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

No Pun Intended posted:

Is there a scale model equivalent of a bitz sellers? Like if I'm looking for a specific turret etc without having to buy the whole kit?

You might be able to find resin components representing particular production runs/factories in sperg-tastic detail, but odds are those will cost more than the entire tank.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Seeing MIG pigments like 'Kursk Mud' 'Caucasian Mud' and others worries me that someday I'm going to become spergy enough to want to match loving mud.

drat, and here I thought the title of the miniatures threads in Trad Games was spergy.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Looking amazing!

Also, if you want to see a crazy Elefant, read this entire thread, or at least just scan the pics. . . it goes from, "that's pretty cool" to "holy poo poo!"

Dude makes wire mesh for the driver and radio operator's seats.

Then covers them up!

Maybe my favourite part is when he creates weld seams with putty on the inside of the model, in places where it is impossible to ever see.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Blistex posted:

Looking amazing!

Also, if you want to see a crazy Elefant, read this entire thread, or at least just scan the pics. . . it goes from, "that's pretty cool" to "holy poo poo!"

Maybe my favourite part is when he creates weld seams with putty on the inside of the model, in places where it is impossible to ever see.

My god someone may actually decide to peel back the layers of the putty and look at it!

I was told from my local hobby guy when I asked that was that sometimes people make cutaways, or something like that of tanks. And that's why I shouldn't cheap out on fixing the crewman hatch handle that no on will ever see and that I think I put the left handle where the right handle is suppose to go

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Chillyrabbit posted:

I was told from my local hobby guy when I asked that was that sometimes people make cutaways, or something like that of tanks. And that's why I shouldn't cheap out on fixing the crewman hatch handle that no on will ever see and that I think I put the left handle where the right handle is suppose to go
Yeah, this hobby definitely has a range of people in it, from "I am 12 why does this glue smell funny?" to "let me list my fleet of WWII ships to you, guy I just met in the store, ordered by nation, then by scale, then by manufacturer, also look here are pictures on my phone" crazy.

That last one actually happened to me one time in my local toy tanks shop...

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I kind of want to scratch-build an exploded tank, just so I can do things like that and actually have them be seen.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah, this hobby definitely has a range of people in it, from "I am 12 why does this glue smell funny?" to "let me list my fleet of WWII ships to you, guy I just met in the store, ordered by nation, then by scale, then by manufacturer, also look here are pictures on my phone" crazy.
The WW2 fleet is actually a midpoint, then it goes into "let me tell you about all the divorces I had, in excruciating detail, and about the international Jewish conspiracy, random client" kind of crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

I kind of want to scratch-build an exploded tank, just so I can do things like that and actually have them be seen.

Some of them are pretty impressive.